Labor Day Weekend Clearance
152 Members and 11327 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Target Vs. Walmart

Started 1274631981.983 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1276206885.393 by wubbzy

Just thought I'd start a fun discussion for a beautiful Sunday :)

Which do you prefer shopping at? Target or Walmart and why?

For me, Target wins hands down. It is cleaner, has really fun, great customer service available at just a phone call and unique items at great prices and our Target has both a Starbucks and a Pizza Hut inside.

The three Walmart stores that I have been in have all been filthy dirty, I can never find someone to help me when I need help, and the store is usually full of junk.

What about your experiences with both stores? Which do you prefer?

Page 1 of 5
C and C Fo­rever1274632169.141572 PostsRegistered 3/21/2010

I prefer Target~~but the closest one is 30+ miles away, so I go to Wal-Mart. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.

biancardi1274632219.5846785 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

when I lived near a Target - I liked shopping there.  It was cleaner and the layout was very simple;  not overwhelming.

I don't have a Target near me now, but a Walmart.  When I first moved here 14 years ago, I didn't know the area and local shops, so I did shop at that Walmart and hated every minute of it.  It was too big, too dirty and why on earth have 20 cashier lines but only 5 open at a time?  The wait was just awful.

Once I got to know my area better, I have not stepped into a Walmart for myself.  When I visit my mom, she does buy stuff there on occasion  - because it is only 2 miles from her.  However, we both prefer going to Meijer's, which is 3 miles away.  Target for her is 5 miles away, which she will go to, but it is a little longer drive.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

TrackerGal1274632247.15323626 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007

I shop at both,but prefer Walmart,first because it has groceries,which Target has,but not enough and second it is cheaper.  Our Walmart is clean and all the employees are friendly,especially one of the eldery greeters.

Last edited on 5/23/2010

Last edited on 5/23/2010

TrackerGal1274632353.20723626 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007
On 5/23/2010 biancardi said:

when I lived near a Target - I liked shopping there.  It was cleaner and the layout was very simple;  not overwhelming.

I don't have a Target near me now, but a Walmart.  When I first moved here 14 years ago, I didn't know the area and local shops, so I did shop at that Walmart and hated every minute of it.  It was too big, too dirty and why on earth have 20 cashier lines but only 5 open at a time?  The wait was just awful.

Once I got to know my area better, I have not stepped into a Walmart for myself.  When I visit my mom, she does buy stuff there on occasion  - because it is only 2 miles from her.  However, we both prefer going to Meijer's, which is 3 miles away.  Target for her is 5 miles away, which she will go to, but it is a little longer drive.

I can't shop at Meijers and we have 2 here.  They are the ones,who caused me to lose my job.

JBUGG1274632357.941680 PostsRegistered 1/27/2007

Speaking of groceries, our Target here just opened a grocery store inside so I guess Target is trying to get competitive on the grocery business with Walmart as this is a new pilot program for Target, to see if it's worthwhile for them to have grocery stores in their store. It's nice to say the least :)

Cakers11274632416.31713918 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
On 5/23/2010 JBUGG said:

Sorry but I had to LOL at Wal-Mart vs. Target being a "fun discussion for a beautiful Sunday".{#emotions_dlg.lol}

We have both, prefer Wal-Mart because they carry more of the brands we use.  In fact, I can't remember the last time we were in Target.

We buy food at other stores, not at WM or Target.

ETA:  Target has Super Stores (those with produce, meat, etc.) for several years where I am.  They also have a few regular stores.

Last edited on 5/23/2010

Last edited on 5/23/2010

At least the war on the environment is going well.

I know we've come a long way we're changing day to day but tell me......where do the children play?
Cat Stevens

Miss Dusty­ Bunny 11274632676.6734302 PostsRegistered 8/17/2006Sunny South Jersey "The Garden State"

I like both Target and Wal Mart, only shop on line.

Neither stores are close to where I live.

Miss Dusty Bunny 1
Each day of life is a gift from our Lord.Treasure it always!

LeslieR1274632724.883316 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I'll be heading to Target later on today - definitely prefer it over WalMart for the same reason others have stated.  At one time I did shop at WM quite a lot, but still preferred Target.   Our Target store has been carrying some groceries for a while, not a full blown grocery selection, but what they do carry is priced and varied enough to keep it interesting and I never have been to a WM that had a grocery department at all other than two rows of odds and ends.  

Packaging is attractive, but never judge a book by it's cover - content is far more important.

Lotus~1274632775.0935446 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 5/23/2010 JBUGG said:

Speaking of groceries, our Target here just opened a grocery store inside so I guess Target is trying to get competitive on the grocery business with Walmart as this is a new pilot program for Target, to see if it's worthwhile for them to have grocery stores in their store. It's nice to say the least :)

Our Target is updating the whole grocery area too....getting more freezers and fridges in as well.

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

crdlb1274632859.4213066 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Target is a far superior store. You couldn't pay me to shop at Walmart. I've had the misfortune to be in places where Walmart is the only store and I had to hold my nose to go in and get something desperately needed, such as medication. 

deepwaterd­otter1274633278.53312483 PostsRegistered 9/1/2005America's Dairyland

I choose not to shop at Walmart, but the lot is always bustling when I drive by.  I'm sure they don't need my business. 

"Take your makeup off, Let your hair down. Take a breath, Look into the mirror at yourself. Don't you like you? 'Cause I like you! - "Try" by Colbie Caillat

PuppyBreath1274633460.1418676 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Mn. Twins Fan

Target is great for my yuppie son and his wife.  But, I need 'real stuff" for my house.  Try and find a plunger at Target.  Or a can of spray paint.  They never have anything on my list. The cosmetic section is really limited.  Plus, their electric carts are never charged. 

There are 2 Walmarts near me.  One is clean, and offers so many brands of everything including a full grocery store.  The other one is a junkyard. 

Puppy

Please support Pancreatic Cancer Research.

My favorite breed is Rescued.

Cakers11274633527.24713918 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

I'm sure that there are Target stores that are not so nice, either.

Unbelievable - they sell the same made in China stuff as Wal-Mart in some areas.  Nor do I see any 'mom and pop' stores thriving near them.

Shop where you prefer; not every store is suitable for every person.

Generic "you" btw.

At least the war on the environment is going well.

I know we've come a long way we're changing day to day but tell me......where do the children play?
Cat Stevens

burtonfan1274633556.783738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We have Target and Wal-Mart - as a matter of fact they're across the road from each other.  I like them both but do most of my shopping as Wal-Mart because the prices are better.  Our Wal-Mart has always been clean and the workers friendly.  Wal-Mart just did a complete make over so it will be a while until I figure out where everything is but I still like it.  Target seems to be a more trendy store. 

Shorty2U1274633842.17714630 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA
On 5/23/2010 JBUGG said:

For me, Target wins hands down. It is cleaner, has really fun, great customer service available at just a phone call and unique items at great prices and our Target has both a Starbucks and a Pizza Hut inside.

The three Walmart stores that I have been in have all been filthy dirty, I can never find someone to help me when I need help, and the store is usually full of junk.

What about your experiences with both stores? Which do you prefer?

Target for the exact same reasons you stated (except I dont do Starbucks..lol.) I LOVE their home decor stuff best! PS I might add I used to like Kmart too but last time I was in the one closest to us (near the big city) it went downhill too, in cleanliness.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

stevieb1274633938.27728233 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Have to say, I don't put them in quite the same catgory...  Walmart is, well, Walmart and Target, to me anyway, is a few steps up.  I prefer Target but occasionally enjoy a stroll thru Walmart, which has a nice garden department.  Of course, while I'll go to Target on a weekend, I'll wait to go to Walmart during the week.  All those teaming throngs and badly behaved kids are a total turn-off...  It's hard to beat Walmart prices, provided they have something you seek.

Abrowneyeg­irl1274634293.203898 PostsRegistered 12/7/2009PA

For social and moral reasons I will not support Walmart.

Wishing you health and happiness.

Niki731274634324.75877 PostsRegistered 1/13/2009 Beautiful Midwest

I shop both.  Target is more inviting and "homey" and I always spend more money there because of that.  I like Target's electronics/book area way better than Walmarts.  Walmart has better pricing though.  I also love that Starbucks is in Target.  Target also seems to have a better meat section IMO.  It just depends on my mood where I go because Target and Walmart are only a couple miles away from each other.

My witty signature goes here

missyw11274634569.29732133 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Target does not have a full grocery market.

I would pick Walmart.

JJsMom1274634611.74719810 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

I can't stand Wal-Mart. Ick. I went there for the first time in years this past Friday to check out their organic selection. I heard it was pretty good.

We were also looking for a patio deck box. When I asked if they carried it, I was given a curt "no" ... no follow-up, or "let me double check or see if we have it online." When I'm at Target, they always have radios on them and call other associates to check on items to see if they carry it or if it's in stock. The customer service is like night and day.

I also checked out the organics, and it was totally lame. Even my local Kroger has a better selection.

Now I remember why I hate WM so much!

clemintine1274634843.24718212 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

Since we don't have EITHER I travel and hit where there is both. Both are fairly new, WalMart newest and has groceries (but I don't shop that part).

Clothing = Target (champion brand yoga pants, undies, T's, etc)

Toys = Wal-Mart, they just have more and better pricing....

WalMart strikes me as being KMart ish, which we have and I never go to.

biancardi1274635293.29746785 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

If I need supplies like a plunger or seeds, I go to the Ace Hardware (locally owned) which is nearby. 

I have not found a reason to go to Walmart.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

speedyindi­sguise1274636065.0038733 PostsRegistered 3/30/2009Atlanta, GA

I prefer Target whenever possible.  In my area, the WalMart's seem to have a problem handling the crowds at the check-out and it can take 30 minutes to pay for items.  I have no tolerance for that.  And they've got plenty of check-outs, but never have more than a third of them 'on' at one time. 

Target is always much more pleasant and never have problems waiting more than 10 minutes to check-out.  We don't have a super-Target nearby, but there's one near where DH works.  Sometimes I go with him (he teaches, so some days are only a couple of hours of class), and I LOVE the Target supercenter with groceries!  Great produce, too!

Your BELIEFS don’t make you a better person, your BEHAVIOR does.

sommertime1274637243.5230081 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I prefer Target. The stores are neat and clean which makes it easy to shop. I enjoy checking the end of the aisles for clearance bargains, they move merchandise out quickly, no old or dusty items on their shelves.

A big plus, no one has mentioned is that Target really does give back 5% of their profits to the community, which I have seen first hand as I volunteer for a charity in town and see just how generous our Local Target is in donations.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

You won't see Wal-mart doing this, the Walton family is too busy accumulating their own personal wealth in the billions. Just how much money does a person really need? Beyond a certain point it is just greed! I will NOT support that kind of business.

With that said, I choose to spend my $$ at Target and see the assistance they give our community.

Last edited on 5/23/2010

beach music1274637313.0729065 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007

target...hands down...i rarely set foot inside wal-mart

"don't get so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance." bill maher

Page 1 of 5