TSV(R) Preview
152 Members and 15764 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Should I tip the carpet cleaners?

Started 1273084231.957 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1273118085.5 by SANNA

I've always rented the machines,and cleaned my own carpeting. I decided my living room needed a little bit more help this time and have scheduled  the SS carpet cleaners to take care of it for me Friday(costs about $103).

Am I suppose to tip them? TIA.

Page 1 of 2
MyGirlsMom1273084332.44733422 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008

If they do a good job, yes. 

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in your life you will have been all of these."

RedHeadedW­ench1273084368.789260 PostsRegistered 10/1/2006

I dont.

Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
-------

FLBB1273084428.6277250 PostsRegistered 5/23/2008

I would tip them.  Moving around furniture is hard work.

One word - chocolate

kiddo1273084591.67710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Not if they're the owners of the company, I wouldn't.

Not if the IRS does NOT expect that in their line of work, a tip is expected.  

But if the IRS will "charge" them income tax on the standard tip that the IRS expects that all employees in that profession would get... I certainly would find out how much it is that the IRS assumes that carpet cleaning company employees get tipped.

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

AnikaBrodie1273084598.0615238 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

I would tip them if they do a good job.

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

kiddo1273084741.0610263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 5/5/2010 FLBB said:

I would tip them.  Moving around furniture is hard work.

Um.  That is hard work, but it's part of the job for which they're already paid.

It's hard work to do other physical labor.. like construction and roofing.  But those people do not get tipped... nor do they expect to get tipped.  If you DO tip them, I know from my own experience as a co-owner of a roofing company that they're actually surprised.. and maybe even just bemused.. if their customer attempts to tip them.   They may, or may not, accept your tip.  Although they'd appreciate that their customer "tried to do the right thing" by attempting to tip them. 

If you "feel better" for tipping them because their job is "hard work," well.. obviously that's your reason for tipping them -- that you would feel better.  I just wouldn't tip them so that I feel good -- or even just because their work is "hard work."

Last edited on 5/5/2010

Last edited on 5/5/2010

----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

cmhpss1273084853.997444 PostsRegistered 12/19/2008

I would say no.  I think it is like that Seinfeld episode where they say the tipping needs to end somewhere (maybe it was a Curb your Enthusiasm).  I tip waitresses, hairdressers, dog groomers.

Christina

kiddo1273085269.52710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

Okay.  I just now googled the word "tipping."  Got this on one site that's about "tipping etiquette."

It doesn't say anything at all -- either way -- about tipping carpet cleaning company employees.  But I did find the closest thing.   It's about tipping employees of moving companies. 

For furniture, three to five dollars per piece of furniture is acceptable; however, you should take into consideration the type of furniture and how much lifting and maneuvering was required to get it to its final destination. For instance, if a large, heavy couch had to be carried up six flights of stairs, a tip of ten to twenty dollars might be in order. You should also tip extra if assembly is required by the delivery person.

----

kiddo1273085369.16710263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

Whether or not you tip them, I'm sure they'd appreciate some honest praise for the GREAT job they did!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Last edited on 5/5/2010

Last edited on 5/5/2010

----

crdlb1273085375.29713162 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

I tip anyone who does something beyond what I was expecting or does something special at my request. I don't tip the gardener every week, but I do give him a holiday tip, because I want him to know he's been appreciated. I don't tip the UPS man, although he works darn hard for me {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

kiddo1273085566.18310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

I tried tipping the UPS man.. but he was a bit insulted, frankly, although he didn't say so.

He *did* say that he was paid very well by UPS -- VERY well --  and that I shouldn't bother (tipping him). 

And that, actually, UPS rules for employees was that they should never, ever accept a tip.

I have, however, been successful in giving him an unopened, small bottle of water when it's a hot day.   He said as he took it from me that he has a cooler filled with ice and small water bottles already, but that he appreciated my offering one to him.

----

cmhpss1273086130.0537444 PostsRegistered 12/19/2008
On 5/5/2010 scribo said:

I tried tipping the UPS man.. but he was a bit insulted, frankly, although he didn't say so.

He *did* say that he was paid very well by UPS -- VERY well --  and that I shouldn't bother (tipping him). 

And that, actually, UPS rules for employees was that they should never, ever accept a tip.

I have, however, been successful in giving him an unopened, small bottle of water when it's a hot day.    He said as he took it from me that he has a cooler filled with ice and small water bottles already, but that he appreciated my offering one to him.

I think that would be more helpful than a tip. 

Christina

CelticCraf­ter1273086174.8531229 PostsRegistered 11/9/2004

SS just left my house about 3 hours ago and I did not tip them. 

Although they did an excellent job, I didn't appreciate the pushy hard sell for their spot remover, outdside door mat or pet hair eraser.  My Spot Shot works fine, once inside the house I do have a throw rug you step onto and a damp sponge works wonders on removing stubborn cat fur from the furniture.

The cost of the products they wanted to sell me would have been more than the cost of  the carpet cleaning.

The prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets.
The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears.
The kindest hearts have felt the most pain.
Unknown

RedConvert­ibleGirl1273086284.20314326 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

Where does all this tipping end?!  I think it's totally out of control.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

crdlb1273086376.7313162 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

It's like buttering toast. Don't do it if you don't like to do it.

sunshine451273086805.54341919 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

i do tip them.... i use a service at least twice a year and they do an excellent job. there are usually two people and i give them two tens.

i do agree with what crdlb said also.... dont do it of you dont like to do it....me???... i like to show my appreciation to the employees of a company that are doing a great job.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

ok4ablonde21273087503.788837 PostsRegistered 3/9/2009Midwest

Tipping is totally out of control.  I'm a secretary and no one tips me!  They are doing their job, so no, I would not tip the carpet cleaners.

I do tip my hairdresser, because I don't want her mad at me.  And wait staff in restaurants that aren't do-it-yourself.  That's enough.

"We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland

RedConvert­ibleGirl1273087954.80714326 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

So if I have a repairman come in to fix my washing machine do I tip him too? Or the plumber?  Or the roofers that put that $20K roof on?

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

clemintine1273088256.67318231 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

I didn't, and felt bad about that. I couldn't figure it out.

The guy in charge did most of the work, but I liked his helper better and he did a wonderful job on the stairs....harder than doing floors, for sure. They don't make much and business is slow in this economy, but I didn't tip.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

on the other end of the spectrum....I tipped a delivery guy $30 because he had to take the washer apart to get it in the back room, replace the fixture in the wall, same thing with the dryer, and rig the vent system so it would all fit in the laundry behind bifold doors (within a 1/4" of it's life) Took him 3 hours. Neither I nor DH would have gone as far as he did, and the appliances would have had to be returned. It was worth it.

Last edited on 5/5/2010

Last edited on 5/5/2010

Josea9221273088467.3874359 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006

I can't stand it. Everywhere you turn there is a tip jar out.

clemintine1273088771.7218231 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.
On 5/5/2010 Josea922 said:

I can't stand it. Everywhere you turn there is a tip jar out.

Don't move here!! Lots of summer restaurants, lots of jars to 'help' the help (for school) and there's even a jar at town hall for the lifeguard scholarship program.

naturalfan1273088840.7234270 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I was kind of wondering for myself too.  I have a really nice Oriental carpet that they came to pick up yesterday for cleaning.  They moved some furniture and rolled it up really quickly and were gone.  When they bring it back, I intend to put it in the dining room rather than the living room.  Of course that means moving the dining room furniture, putting the carpet  pad down, putting the cleaned rug down, and putting the furniture back.  I guess I was going to tip them then.  I don't know though, what if it is not the same guys bringing the carpet back as picked it up?

Yea, I don't know what to do either.

Sooner1273090919.85715166 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

No you shouldn't tip.  It is a service you contract for, they are paid by the hour, and the price is fixed.  Like others said, you can tip everyone in the world if you feel guilty for some reason. 

redwingsgal1273091724.053944 PostsRegistered 6/11/2009MI now in OK
On 5/5/2010 crdlb said:

It's like buttering toast. Don't do it if you don't like to do it.

Beautiful!!!

sunshine451273091945.58341919 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 5/5/2010 Sooner said:

No you shouldn't tip.  It is a service you contract for, they are paid by the hour, and the price is fixed.  Like others said, you can tip everyone in the world if you feel guilty for some reason. 

not understanding this..... so if i decide to give someone a tip i "feel guilty for some reason???"

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2