Just-Reduced Clearance
31 Members and 14429 Guests Online

Viewpoints

What does H & R Block charge for the short form taxes?

Started 1269819590.063 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1270378185.537 by catlover

My taxes are the very basic, no deductions, no kids short form-

Has anyone used them and how much was it-thank you!

I can't believe that the gov't would give you a few dollars more in your check each week and then want it back at tax time. $850.00 is alot to have to pay federal taxes in one shot!

This was how they stumulated the economy?

***JESUS IS THE VISIBLE IMAGE OF GOD***

Page 1 of 1
Usedtobeox­ox1269820377.6933521 PostsRegistered 5/14/2006Third Planet from the Sun

Mine is a bit more complicated, two incomes and property but I did them on line at H and R Block with their review. Including the NYS taxes and the review it was 139.

Always be Happy, always wear a smile .. Not because life is full of reasons to smile, but because your smile itself is a reason for many others to smile :)

millieshops1269820379.74314478 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

No idea what they charge, but if you can use the short form, could you do it yourself - maybe with the help of a friend???

As for the $850 - is that what the stimulus added to your take-home?  I'm not sure what the connection is between what you owe and the stimulus.  In the last analysis, what you owe in April is determined by the tax rate on your total earnings for the year.  If you had too much deducted and gave the govt a loan, you get money back.  If you didn't pay enough to meet your tax rate x your earnings, you owe. 

I expect to owe - just not sure yet what the amount will be.

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Last edited on 3/28/2010

srick tx1269822995.452054 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hmmm, I have one year of college, but I was able to do my own (long form) and both my adult son's taxes.  One had Capital Gains because he buys and sells some stocks and the other had several additional forms including first time homebuyer's credit, schedule L for property taxes, and education credit forms. 

One year my oldest son used H&R Block (his first year of doing stock trades) and sitting with the tax lady while she typed the numbers in the online form, my son and I had the amounts figured out before her.  We realized she was a waste of money. She might have found one very small deduction that we didn't know about ourselves. It's really not that hard, the directions are pretty self explanatory. 

If you do your own don't forget to fill out schedule M, it could give you an additional $400 credit ($800 per couple).  My DH and I qualified for it, my newly married son qualified for the full amount for he and his wife and my single son got $99 back from that credit.

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Last edited on 3/28/2010

kivah1269824040.1433407 PostsRegistered 7/21/2008oxnard, CA

I used H&R Block many years ago - when their prices were low - not anymore. Call different offices of H&R Block & tax preparers so you can get an estimate before going in. You don't need a CPA.

Star~1269824547.2573544 PostsRegistered 8/3/2007GA Peach

The term "short form" still tickles me today.

We, as tax preparers, always said... the Form Numbers

1040A

1040EZ-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then;

Sch: A, C, F

YIKES, it's skeery from there on.

Do a 1040 and a C.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}  I'm reflecting back.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Last edited on 3/28/2010

*✰˚ ♥ ˚ ★*

september1269824772.0216612 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

I can't speak for H&R block, but I use Turbotax online to do my daughter's taxes.  She has to file federal returns as well as two state returns, and we paid about $75 this year for all of them, because we got them filed before a certain deadline (now elapsed).

In other years, when we weren't done so early, it was closer to $100 for all three returns.

RedConvert­ibleGirl1269824952.99713771 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW

H&R Block is getting really expensive.  I had more forms last year and it cost me less to have them filed. I think the last time I knew someone to do the short form it was around $70 a couple of years ago (don't quote me on that).

Why not try doing them online yourself?  They have something this year that you do them online and then someone somewhere checks for you. Not sure how it works, but it's something to check into.

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

kiddo1269825131.44310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006

There's several companies who charge ZERO to e-file your taxes.  Is that what you're talking about?  If so, I know that H&R block doesn't provide free e-filing services.

I used to use Turbo Tax because there was no charge for e-filing your Fed returns if you used Turbo Tax.

This year, I decided that I wanted to e-file for free not only my Fed return, but my state tax return, also. 

So, since the online tax return forms at Tax Hawk for both Federal AND State tax returns has free e-filing, I went with Tax Hawk this year. 

Tax Hawk runs the same way that Turbo Tax runs.  You go from screen to screen to fill out the blanks. 

Tax Hawk

NOTE:   The Federal government says that if you received any unemployment insurance benefits in 2009, then you subtract from the line for unemployment insurance payments the first $2,400 of unemployment benefits you received.

This is because your first $2,400 of unemployment insurance benefits is TAX FREE.

Some states decided that they, too, will NOT count the FIRST $2,400 of unemployment insurance benefits you received in 2009.

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

Siennasky1269825175.392693 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009

I wouldn't use H&R Block. Turbo Tax has a free Federal Tax program. You have to pay about 12.00 to file the state.

karmakat1269825443.911215 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

For very basic taxes, short form, I don't see why you would want to pay anyone to do them.

There are free efile services online that will walk you through and make all the calculations. 

kiddo1269825456.22310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
On 3/28/2010 1socagirl said:

I wouldn't use H&R Block. Turbo Tax has a free Federal Tax program. You have to pay about 12.00 to file the state.

Tax Hawk does the same thing that Turbo Tax does.  But Turbo Tax's free Tax "program" is for only your Federal return.

Where Tax Hawk does the same thing Turbo Tax does for your Federal return.  PLUS Tax Hawk does your State tax return for free, too.

Well, for MOST states Tax Hawk does free State tax returns if your AGI is less than $20K.

============

TaxHawk dot com

File Your Federal Tax Return For FREE!

Prepare, print, and file your federal taxes online for FREE! 100% free federal return for all customers!

State Tax Return FREE For Many Customers!

Your state tax return is FREE if your federal AGI is less than $20,000. If you make more than $20,000 in income, the fee for preparing and filing your state tax return is only $12.95. Your federal tax return is always free regardless of your income level. Check to determine if your State is Currently Available

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Last edited on 3/28/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

TallTex1269826028.067272 PostsRegistered 4/1/2006Texas

I have poor math skills so always had a CPA do mine.  When Turbo Tax first started their computer version, I dropped my $500 CPA and used the Floppy version (many moons ago).  Turbo Tax has served me well since then.

The computer version asks simple questions and you type an answer from your own W2 and any another income.  They prompt you for all sorts of income possibilities.  Next comes all possible deductions.  Finally the automatic review, and computer checks for possible problems.  By E-Filing, the refund (always sent on Fridays) is back in a week or so.

The past year, Turbo Tax provided direct downloads from my bank for such items as Mutual Funds, Retirement Funds and Interest bearing accoulnts.  Suits me perfectly.

BeanCounte­r171269827688.15115 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006Virginia

Go online to AARP.org and lookup Tax Aide or AARP tax centers and see if there is a location close to you.   They many times work out of public libraries or churches during the tax season.  They will do your taxes free and if you have to file state taxes they'll do that for you also.  I am in VA and used to be an AARP tax counselor but had to leave due to family obligations.  

You do not have to be an AARP member, retired or old to use them.  Before they can prepare taxes, they must take initial tax law training, update training each and every year and also take and successfully pass an IRS exam (also each and every year because they have to be IRS certified before preparing taxes for the publc).    As one who prepared taxes for them, trust me, people like you this time of the year are a welcome godsend because usually this late in the year we got all the lengthy tax returns for those requiring all the Schedules and those tax returns take an hour or so.  Many of these centers take appointments but also offer wallk in service and if they are not busy will work you in.

catlover1270378185.5376416 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New York

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}thank you everyone-I really appreciate your time in posting-thanks again!

***JESUS IS THE VISIBLE IMAGE OF GOD***

Page 1 of 1