Dooney Days
116 Members and 17804 Guests Online

Viewpoints

EdenPure Heaters

Started 1348339670.437 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1348485234.763 by Pook

Do anyone here have any first hand experience with these? Are they efficient and cost effective to run? The reviews are so widely varying. It seems you either love them or hate them. The reviews I have been able to find are either 1 star or 5 stars. Nothing in between which makes it difficult to evaluate. I would appreciate anyones input. TIA!

Page 1 of 1
dooBdoo1348340370.74717892 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

luvmyz3, I don't have one. Just looking at the Consumer Reports ratings and recommendations, I would choose another brand.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/space-heaters/buying-guide.htm?pn=3

~doobs

★~
The illiterate of the 21st century
will not be those who cannot read and write,
but those who cannot learn, unlearn,
and relearn. ~Alvin Toffler

luvmyz31348345189.29122 PostsRegistered 6/6/2007

Thank you for the link - I will check it out!!

dooBdoo1348353734.22317892 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

You're welcome, luvmyz3! I hope it's helpful. They had a news article about this heater back in 2008, in which they were not at all impressed. These later, more current, ratings show it as being rather pricey for falling toward the middle of the units for larger rooms.

Last edited on 9/22/2012

Last edited on 9/22/2012

~doobs

★~
The illiterate of the 21st century
will not be those who cannot read and write,
but those who cannot learn, unlearn,
and relearn. ~Alvin Toffler

kaybee1348359581.2938445 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006Wisconsin

We have 2 of them. I can't speak for cost effectiveness but they do put out a comfortable heat compared to other electric space heating units. We have one running all winter in the basement family room for the kids as there is only one heat register down there and the other we keep upstairs as a back up in case our antiquated hydro system breaks down.

One is a Life Smart purchased from Menard's and the other is an actual Eden Pure. The Life Smart unit is just as nice for about half the price of the name brand Eden Pure.

grandma_2_21348366881.7532308 PostsRegistered 6/5/2005

I have one of these types of heaters but not Edenpure brand.

I use it in my basement family room but don't use it on a regular basis. If I get chilled or have company and want it a little warmer then I will use it. It puts out a safe, even heat quickly. I don't worry about my grand kids getting hurt. It is very safe. Mine is in an oak cabinet and looks like a piece of furniture.

I don't use it enough to notice how it affects my electric bill. I do like having the option for heating up one room instead of the whole house. It is very portable too.

I've had mine for about 5 years now.

In-x-s1348396939.12587 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location

I think there are other brands that are better and cheaper than EdenPure. I would research before buying or buy an inexpensive one and try to see if you like it. I have an Oreck that I got from QVC which I love but can't find another one like it at a reasonable price. I also have a LifeSmart from Menards that works well but I haven't run that one enough to know how it affects the electric bill. (the Oreck is only 1000 watt where most are 1500watt).

I don't believe they hype about them heating a whole house unless you live in a very warm climate.

JDW1741348401125.247351 PostsRegistered 2/17/2010

We bought a couple of them after getting sucked in by the ad claims. Our gas furnace wasn't doing a good job in winter (in spite of getting checked out every year) and we needed something to help. They do indeed heat...with a very comfortable and nice heat. Did they drop the gas bill???....yes, but not as much as they said it would. However, the kicker is the ELECTRIC BILL{#emotions_dlg.scared} , which certainly didn't remain the same. If you have one room in the house that seems to remain cold even with the furnace running, then I'd say that it may be a worthwhile investment for that one room. Just don't think you're going to heat a large area for pennies. Ain't gonna happen.

luvmyz31348407868.22122 PostsRegistered 6/6/2007

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. We are looking for a supplemental heat source in case of losing electric this winter. We have electric heat but do have a propane firplace with an electric blower that we do use to help heat our home. We also have a large family room that is somewhat chilly when cold and windy as the heat from the fireplace does not really reach that room. The EdenPure heaters are so much more expensive than comparable ones. It doesn't appear though that they are necessarily a better product.

Chihuahual­uv1348411713.21608 PostsRegistered 2/23/2011

I have 1 Eden Pure and 2 Sun Heats. The Eden Pure is quieter. They are really nice heaters, but IMO they will not save you any money. My gas bill went down, but the electric bill went up just as much as the gas went down.

In-x-s1348422580.7572587 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location
On 9/23/2012 luvmyz3 said:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. We are looking for a supplemental heat source in case of losing electric this winter. We have electric heat but do have a propane firplace with an electric blower that we do use to help heat our home. We also have a large family room that is somewhat chilly when cold and windy as the heat from the fireplace does not really reach that room. The EdenPure heaters are so much more expensive than comparable ones. It doesn't appear though that they are necessarily a better product.

I am slightly confused ...... then EdenPure type heaters are also electric so they wouldn't work if you lost power. Not sure in what area of the country you live in or how cold your winters are, but check out the BuddyHeater line of propane heaters for emergency use. Many of them are safe for indoor use. We got one with the optional hose attachments to enable us to hook to a 20# propane tank (as opposed to the small cylinders) for emergency heat purposes.

luvmyz31348423938.157122 PostsRegistered 6/6/2007

I live in the northeast. Yes, I am aware the EdenPure heaters run on electric. We do have a generator and would be able to plug into that if we lost power. It is however not big enough to run our electric heat. Last Oct. we lost power during a snowstorm and were able to plug the fireplace blower into the generator but then we were contending with extension cords. Seems an electric heater in the room we are in would be a better option during a power failure. That way we could just heat a specific area when needed and also use it as supplemental heat if needed. Thanks again to all who replied.

JDW1741348424942.47351 PostsRegistered 2/17/2010

Generators are fine for some things. Our home is total electric with the exception of the furnace/ac which is a gas/electric hybrid. We're also on a well, so if the power goes out we don't have heat/ac/water or anything else. I'd bought a large portable generator in case of a severe outage, but it wasn't large enough to run the 220v lines, i.e. heat, well pump, etc. We went slightly overboard and purchased a Generac Standby Generator that automatically comes on if the power drops below 70% in the main lines, and will literally power the entire home. The engine runs on natural gas or propane and will shut itself off when power is restored. The price isn't for the faint of heart, but if you live in an area that is subject to outages you may want to check into one. Just thought I'd toss this in.

In-x-s1348436548.8732587 PostsRegistered 3/24/2007Location, location, location
On 9/23/2012 luvmyz3 said:

I live in the northeast. Yes, I am aware the EdenPure heaters run on electric. We do have a generator and would be able to plug into that if we lost power. It is however not big enough to run our electric heat. Last Oct. we lost power during a snowstorm and were able to plug the fireplace blower into the generator but then we were contending with extension cords. Seems an electric heater in the room we are in would be a better option during a power failure. That way we could just heat a specific area when needed and also use it as supplemental heat if needed. Thanks again to all who replied.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh makes sense!!

Pook1348485234.763909 PostsRegistered 5/5/2007

We have several (for many years now) and they are the best. We heat with gas and when gas prices were higher than electric, we saved money but last year electric was higher than gas so we used them less. We also use them at our vacation cottage rather than the propane furnace or baseboard heat and they heat the place nicely and are cheaper than the baseboard electric heat.

Page 1 of 1