Shoes & Handbags Offers
28 Members and 9656 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Danger in eating rice

Started 1348065195.207 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1348239488.467 by dooBdoo

consumer reports says there is concerning high levels of Arsenic in rice- Glad I am on a no carb diet and do not eat grains! Arsenic in high levels can cause cancer. Rice is not the only food with Arsenic... but, since so many people are eating rice in place of wheat etc this is concerning.... Now they recommend eating rice only once a week!

~~~ A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory...~~~

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
route 71348065540.693904 PostsRegistered 1/29/2011

I've reached the point where I do not believe half of what is out there. First you had to cut back on eggs and then it is okay and then back again. Just use common sense and eat what you always have if you have no problems. Of course I am not talking about re-calls.

blahblahva­mpemerblah1348065564.0176144 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

My biggest fear was always what it did to my blood sugar since that was always the more immediate problem.

People forget that so many toxic chemicals are naturally in our food. I switched to sea salt for finishing, and then I found out it had 1/3 more aluminum than regular mined salt. Now I use the cheap stuff for everything.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Irshgrl312­011348065605.60314173 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Good lord, if I went by every food that had a warning attached, I would never eat. I eat everything in moderation and what will be will be. That is how I roll. I have had 4 CT scans in the last year so arsenic is the least of my problems.

clemintine1348066085.218212 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

sooooo, we had rice pilaf last night.....I guess that's IT for the week?

geeze Louise

Topaz Gem1348066217.7415689 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

Thanks for the warning, it's always beneficial to stay informed. I do agree with others, though, who say that every other week it's a different food that we're supposed to watch out for. It's hard to know what to eat anymore. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. ~ Henry James

bikerbabe1348066268.7838504 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

okay. so why isn't eveyone in asia sick?

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

FrostyBabe1348066496.0233143 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004in the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location

Not a problem for me to cut back - I don't like rice in any way, shape or form.

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Francesca Reigler

dooBdoo1348066605.6515911 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

d/p

Last edited on 9/19/2012

Last edited on 9/19/2012

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

Peaches Mc­Phee1348066616.6671600 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

All rice has arsnic? Tell that to the 1 billion Asians to whom rice is a staple in the diet; they seem to be doing just fine.

Pro-aging.

Linders Ba­ck1348066628.6638510 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
On 9/19/2012 bikerbabe said:

I was just going to ask the same question.

Considering how many Asian countries have rice as their promary diet ingredient and it doesn't seem to be affecting the rapid population growth in that part of the world, I think I'll ignore this warning. (Probably a research study funded by the Potato Growers association or Wheat Growers) Wink.

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

dooBdoo1348066656.08315911 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

Actually, the recommendation is one serving a day. And this is rice grown in the USA, not in Asia:

"...some products had up to five times higher levels than the arsenic found in oatmeal and one and a half times more than EPA's legal standard for drinking water...

The researchers also found geographical distinctions in arsenic levels, with white rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, containing higher levels than rice samples from other parts of the country. Those four states account for 76 percent of domestic rice produced.

Surprisingly, when it comes to arsenic the less nutritional white rice is better than brown. The carcinogen is most prevalent in the outer layers of the grain and white rice is polished removing some of those layers.

Consumer Reports suggests rice eaters limit themselves to one serving a day, especially for babies. Rinsing and then boiling rice in a 6 to 1 water ratio removes about 30 percent of its arsenic. They also caution that children under the age of 5 should not be given rice drinks as part of their daily diet."

Complete article at:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/arsenic-rice-report-finds-worrisome-levels/story?id=17267872

Last edited on 9/19/2012

Last edited on 9/19/2012

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

brii1348066758.222594 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008
There is something bad in almost everything nowadays, it seems. I don't think I make rice more than once a month anyway. I'm not going to worry about it.

dooBdoo1348066828.9215911 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 9/19/2012 Linders Back said:
On 9/19/2012 bikerbabe said:

I was just going to ask the same question.

Considering how many Asian countries have rice as their promary diet ingredient and it doesn't seem to be affecting the rapid population growth in that part of the world, I think I'll ignore this warning. (Probably a research study funded by the Potato Growers association or Wheat Growers) Wink.

The rice is grown and distributed in the USA. The study was done (and funded by) Consumer Reports, and they do not take money from any special-interest groups.

happy hous­ewife1348066970.47730794 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 9/19/2012 route 7 said:

I've reached the point where I do not believe half of what is out there. First you had to cut back on eggs and then it is okay and then back again. Just use common sense and eat what you always have if you have no problems. Of course I am not talking about re-calls.

This is so true. Everything they say eventually gets rebuffed. If you watch shows like Dr Oz you can make yourself crazy. Just eat from the food pyramid like you were taught in grade school. Everything in moderation, and don't worry about all this krap so much - you'll be a happier and healthier person.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

LucyGoose1348067301.9373290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

I just worry about the danger in eating tuna. (the high levels of mercury).

I eat rice not very often at all, only when I go to a chinese buffet, so I'm not too worried about it.

I agree, everything in moderation.

Last edited on 9/19/2012

Last edited on 9/19/2012

Your tag line here

FLIM FLAM1348067563.8871022 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Oh jeesh, last week they were saying organic foods may not be any more nutritious than non-organic, then before that they said eggs could be as dangerous as smoking cigarettes, now this?

My parents ate whatever they wanted and lived into their nineties...rarely ever getting sick. I've been doing the same thing and I can't even remember the last time I had to go to a doctor. I'm pretty sure it was when I was in my early twenties and it wasn't because I was sick.

Life is too short to be depriving ourselves of the foods we love. Moderation is the key!

FLIM FLAM1348067564.9471022 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Oh jeesh, last week they were saying organic foods may not be any more nutritious than non-organic, then before that they said eggs could be as dangerous as smoking cigarettes, now this?

My parents ate whatever they wanted and lived into their nineties...rarely ever getting sick. I've been doing the same thing and I can't even remember the last time I had to go to a doctor. I'm pretty sure it was when I was in my early twenties and it wasn't because I was sick.

Life is too short to be depriving ourselves of the foods we love. Moderation is the key!

chickenbutt1348068491.44323567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I don't use rice that often, but I usually buy only California rice, more brown rice than anything.

I tend to believe about 10% of what I read, in terms of hype type stuff, but CR is usually pretty reliable. I wonder why those regions produce rice with higher than usual arsenic. Is it the soil?

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Sushismom1348068692.4775119 PostsRegistered 10/21/2004

Seems the majority of rice grown in the US is either long grain or specialty (basmati, arborio, jasmine, etc.). About 90% of the rice eaten in the US is produced here.

Only one of the states listed by dooBdoo (Arkansas) grows short grain rice. Most Japanese use short grain. Most southern Asians use long grain.

JJsMom1348068795.0619810 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

If you want to disregard the warning, that's your prerogative, but I believe for the most part that knowledge is power. If I ate a ton of rice grown in the danger areas, I'd want to know to limit my consumption (1 serving a day really isn't that restrictive) or find rice grown in another area. No one is forcing anyone not to eat rice.

I love rice and eat it often. I get mine mosty from Asia though.

NChgOfMyAt­titude1348068948.985109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut
On 9/19/2012 Irshgrl31201 said:

Good lord, if I went by every food that had a warning attached, I would never eat. I eat everything in moderation and what will be will be. That is how I roll. I have had 4 CT scans in the last year so arsenic is the least of my problems.

I've been using Colgate toothpaste in the red box, superwhite or something. On the tube it says if you swallow any, call POISON CONTROL!!

Very comforting.

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

hckynut1348069405.33719195 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 9/19/2012 TheWinner said:

consumer reports says there is concerning high levels of Arsenic in rice- Glad I am on a no carb diet and do not eat grains! Arsenic in high levels can cause cancer. Rice is not the only food with Arsenic... but, since so many people are eating rice in place of wheat etc this is concerning.... Now they recommend eating rice only once a week!

My sources for my nutrition come from much better places than consumer reports. I eat and have eaten brown rice as a staple of my eating program for decades now, and much more than once a week.

There are enough so-called, nutritional studies saying this is bad for you/this is dangerous for you, and so it goes. As one that is my own best health and fitness advocate, I do my own research and I try to stick with those with specific credentials before I give much credulity to what some magazine has to say about something, especially what I eat.

I quit eating all types of meat/fish and fowl in the mid 1970's, now if someone is wants to worry about something they eat? They do not need to look very far back to find all sorts of ways to poison themselves with undercooked meat/even contact with certain types of fowl.

Certainly am not suggestion everyone quit eating these things as there are some many good reasons to eat these types of food, with the main one being that people like them. Just saying, that to me it would be much more important to be careful when preparing and cooking certain types of the aforementioned foods, before concerning oneself with rice.

Read the words below my name and that is my intent.

hckynut(john)

sunshine451348070476.25740770 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

we eat a lot of rice..... white basmati usually..... i only buy what comes from overseas though (usually india or pakistan).

Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind. - author unknown

sallyjane1348071315.307109 PostsRegistered 7/7/2011

I heard that this morning, too! Gee, I just bought a big bag of rice. Do you think if you wash it well that would help at all? My husband said tell that to all the Asian people, they seem healthy enough. Maybe it's our rice over here.

Lotus~1348071482.67735446 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

Is this a natural occuring thing? Or is it being added?

Nutin' for nuttin' there are a lot of cultures that thrive on rice and live to old age......just sayin'.

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next