Maxi Dresses
24 Members and 13089 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Computer plug in for Laptop~~the grounding plug got stuck in the wall socket. Help please.

Started 1346003609.463 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1346170451.477 by hckynut

Happy Sonday..........my new computer laptop of two months has lost its grounding plug the third plug stock into the wall socket....a friend got it out of the wall socket yet now I only have two plugs or whatever they are called so I am still using this battery plug in the wall. Is that going to hurt my computer? Would you buy a new battery cord after only two months of having the computer? Thank you for your help.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

Page 1 of 1
PinkSugar1346003794.1220116 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I would buy a brand new plug if it were me. A computer is a sizeable investment.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

chickenbutt1346003876.7522690 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Well, I think it's inevitable that you will need to buy a new cord. I've always done well finding cords for specific models of laptop online. They aren't cheap unless you go generic, which I have never been willing to do. A bad cord can kill a laptop.

I'm assuming from that confusing post that one of the prongs has completely come OFF the plug (?). In that case - yup, new cord.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

SydneyH1346004020.1939180 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

The third prong fell out of my charger plug too, but I can charge without it. You should be able to replace this at any office supply superstore.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

glb6131346004135.65710381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You won't have a ground if the third prong (the round one) isn't present. As posted, buy a new power cord.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1346005199.5518316 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Why do I need a ground? Thank you.

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

SydneyH1346005598.62739180 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006
On 8/26/2012 glb613 said:

You won't have a ground if the third prong (the round one) isn't present. As posted, buy a new power cord.

I don't know why mine still works but plan to replace soon.

-- Walter Bagehot

Rainbows a­nd Roses1346008306.8418316 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

Compaq makes cheap computers and they don't stand by their products. I will keep telling people not to buy from this company. Broken plug in less than 8 weeks is crazy.

occasional­ rain1346008904.2215927 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

Have you called them and requested a new cord? If not, you should. You need the ground plug to avoid getting shocked and to prevent lightning from damaging your computer if it should strike your home or surrounding area.

Last edited on 8/26/2012

Last edited on 8/26/2012

SydneyH1346009557.79739180 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

RR, there are plenty of Compaq laptop chargers on Ebay.

-- Walter Bagehot

biancardi1346009953.3145334 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

you need to fight it. Too many times, people will just call once and meekly accept whatever the CS tells them. It is like an insurance company - you have to go thru several layers of bureaucratic red tape, because the last thing they want to do is replace something for FREE.

Don't take no for an answer. Demand to talk to someone higher up the food chain - they will listen. CS reps really only follow a certain prepared script and cannot deviate too much from that script, otherwise they will lose their job.

really, if you bought your computer only 8 weeks ago, it is still under warrenty, I would think.

Get another hobby as I am not yours.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
-Douglas Adams

occasional­ rain1346010261.3415927 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007
On 8/26/2012 biancardi said:

you need to fight it. Too many times, people will just call once and meekly accept whatever the CS tells them. It is like an insurance company - you have to go thru several layers of bureaucratic red tape, because the last thing they want to do is replace something for FREE.

Don't take no for an answer. Demand to talk to someone higher up the food chain - they will listen. CS reps really only follow a certain prepared script and cannot deviate too much from that script, otherwise they will lose their job.

really, if you bought your computer only 8 weeks ago, it is still under warrenty, I would think.

May be true for some companies but not all. Try calling Bunn, a real person will answer. If your coffee pot is less than three years old and it stops working, they will send you a new one and a prepaid label to send the broken one back to them.

biancardi1346010498.06745334 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 8/26/2012 occasional rain said:

May be true for some companies but not all. Try calling Bunn, a real person will answer. If your coffee pot is less than three years old and it stops working, they will send you a new one and a prepaid label to send the broken one back to them.

you are correct, not all companies are like that. However, if you are denied the first time you call, then they are like that and you do have to make an effort to be more assertive instead of just taking it.

Get another hobby as I am not yours.
“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”
-Douglas Adams

hckynut1346011805.6717722 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 8/26/2012 Rainbows and Roses said:

Happy Sonday..........my new computer laptop of two months has lost its grounding plug the third plug stock into the wall socket....a friend got it out of the wall socket yet now I only have two plugs or whatever they are called so I am still using this battery plug in the wall. Is that going to hurt my computer? Would you buy a new battery cord after only two months of having the computer? Thank you for your help.

I would first replace the wall socket before I did anything else.

hckynut(john)

bikerbabe1346019120.527833 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

is the 3rd prong (the ground) still stuck in the wall electrical outlet? if so, you need to get the outlet repaired, but someone who knows what they are doing. (ie., the electricity needs to be turned off at the circuit breaker). and don't use that outlet until it's repaired.

yes, you need a new cord. you could FRY your expensive new laptop by plugging in without the ground.

Last edited on 8/26/2012

Last edited on 8/26/2012

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

Rainbows a­nd Roses1346031638.9118316 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I will call them again tomorrow and try and fight it. Thank you.

Rainbows a­nd Roses1346092663.61318316 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

UPDATE. They did help me and a new cord is on the way. I am sorry I talked bad about them. It was one guy that was unkind but when I called back like you all posted.......they helped me. Thank you Cyber Friends.

kachina6241346140244.05712884 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
Mine broke but I was able to order a new one from Toshiba. Little sucker cost about $80.

glb6131346148377.22310381 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/26/2012 bikerbabe said:

is the 3rd prong (the ground) still stuck in the wall electrical outlet? if so, you need to get the outlet repaired, but someone who knows what they are doing. (ie., the electricity needs to be turned off at the circuit breaker). and don't use that outlet until it's repaired.

yes, you need a new cord. you could FRY your expensive new laptop by plugging in without the ground.

Last edited on 8/26/2012

I think you mean replaced. There is no repairing an outlet.

hckynut1346170451.47317722 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 8/27/2012 Rainbows and Roses said:

UPDATE. They did help me and a new cord is on the way. I am sorry I talked bad about them. It was one guy that was unkind but when I called back like you all posted.......they helped me. Thank you Cyber Friends.

Always a good idea to ask to talk with a different person when unhappy with any type of service from any customer service person.

I recently wrote a commendation e-mail to a company for having such an excellent customer service employee. I do this quite often as most companies only hear when people are unhappy with their customer service, but will never take the time to tell them what a good experience they had, and why.

Never a good idea to try to deal with anyone in any service when you are ticked off. It usually does not help, and many times it hinders. Say what you have to say, but keep your cool. I've found over the years that this has always been the best way for me to get the best results.

Glad you got this taken care of satisfactorily, and hopefully this gave you a different outlook on things of this nature.

Just my experiences, nothing more nothing less.

hckynut(john)

Page 1 of 1