TSV(R) Preview
126 Members and 13201 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Do you dicker on the price of a brand new car and no trade in?

Started 1345312675 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1345496315.87 by BeanCounter17

Just wondering. I'd think they could come down a bit off the sticker price for a new car. Is there a percentage to go by or is that usually the set price?

The guy acted like "well this is the price, period". No dealings.

I do understand they need to make some money, but hate paying full price. Wanting to get a deal is just how I'm made up.

I always want a discount or look for coupons/codes.

Mima

Page 3 of 4
happy hous­ewife1345382597.11327997 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I think it is awful that to buy a large purchase like a house or a car you can't just go and the price asked is the actual price. I am all about the no dicker sticker that Chevrolet is currently advertising. I think often people think they get a good deal and think they dickered the price down well but , in fact, they did not.

I know someone who got them to lower the price $4000 from the sticker price on a car and she thought she did very well -we all know that was a poor deal - you should always get at least 25% off the sticker price.I felt sorry for her.

Same with negotiating the price of a house - my DH played the people who wanted to buy our house perfectly - he has great negotiating skills, I would have jumped on their first offer because we had already purchased our new house and we were - in fact - desperate to sell.I totally hate the whole business of negotiating anything. Tell me the price you want and be honest in the first place and I will do the same. This is yet another reason I prefer to buy new build homes - the builder doesn't negotiate - the price asked is the price.

Qwackertoo1345385258.8839907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:This is yet another reason I prefer to buy new build homes - the builder doesn't negotiate - the price asked is the price.

In our case we got the builder to lower the price. By quite a bit. We also had limits/allowances on various things, flooring, appliances, etc. Every time we'd go over, due to upgrades, ka-ching. But still paid less than original asking price of similar completed home by same builder with our upgraded version.

Another thing I hate buying that they make it difficult to comparison shop is mattresses and carpeting. The practice of just slapping another "name" for the same thing is aggravating.

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

blossomgirl1345385372.3332591 PostsRegistered 1/27/2011

I leave car buying to my husband. We discuss what we want, then he takes care of it. I do not care for going to dealerships to purchase or have a car serviced.

mima1345386007.95713892 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

All your posts have been really helpful.

Some of them were pretty funny regarding my wording....dicker. LOL That was the best word I could think of for the situation.

My story is a bit complicated. DH's friend owns a Ford dealership. He didn't have the 2013 car I wanted on his lot, so I looked elsewhere and found one. That is the place that said "well that IS the price, period" in other words, no dickering. Well, in the meantime, DH asked his friend about ordering one and DH's friend already has one just like what I want on order and it will be here in about 10 days. Here's the bad part....we can't get downright dirty in dickering with a friend, but DH says we HAVE to buy it from his friend. I didn't know that when I started this thread yesterday.

Since this car (at the friend's dealership) is on order and not even on the lot yet, it isn't one that has been sitting around for a while where he's dying to get rid of it. So I'm not sure if that would be negotiable or not.

Anyway, thank you so much for all your information. I will have DH read this thread and see what he thinks.

I'm sure all the info. was very helpful to some that may be looking for new cars in the future.

Mima

mima1345386351.76313892 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 8/18/2012 misspammie said:

honestly been thinking of a newbie,,,,,,,,,,about 40,000 miles only,. but as i get older I think I want a newbie. Greedy?? self centered???? memememememe??? I think it might be about time. you others think of things this way???


I am not thinking of it that way. I am 56, worked since I was 12 and have never owned a brand new car. This is the first time we could afford it and I'm going to get one!

It will be MY car. It looks like a woman's car and besides, I'm paying for it.

It is Ford Fiesta in Candy Blue Metalic with charcoal gray interior. It is very metalic if you know what I mean. It will have dark tinted windows and a spoiler, heated seats, sirius radio, and ambiant lighting. Good gas mileage too! WooHooo!!!

Mima

Qwackertoo1345386609.19907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 8/19/2012 mima said:

All your posts have been really helpful.

Some of them were pretty funny regarding my wording....dicker. LOL That was the best word I could think of for the situation.

I've always called it haggling. haha

Unless the vehicle you are interested in . . . is one of the new 2013 limited edition Shelby Mustangs . . . I feel you should be able to get the vehicle for dealer invoice or maybe + 125.00 or 250.00. The dealership will be earning either 3% or 4% of the STICKER price from the factory which is distributed to them quarterly. For a vehicle that will spend zero time on their lot, so thus zero will be spent in "inventory cost" . . . that is plenty enough profit for the dealer. Example, if it is a 30,000.00 car, 3% is what 900.00 bucks. They unload the car from the 18-wheeled hauler, wash it, fill out the paperwork and you drive it home. Dealers have to work on quantity, moving a LOT of cars in & out and not concentrate on maximum profit on each vehicle.

Is your friend the owner of the dealership? Then he won't or shouldn't have a problem with this. IF it is a salesperson . . . they might prefer a higher profit on each sale but know they can't always achieve that.

Good Luck!

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

BlondeBroo­ke1345386799.976706 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006

We always buy new and we ask for the lowest price that they can give us off sticker or we will walk away and go to another dealership. I will negotiate freebies too....extra keys, gas cards, upgraded mats, tire locks etc. and they always give in to my "requests" Smile

We have always been satisfied.

.
~Too busy being fabulous~

mima1345386847.45713892 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:
On 8/19/2012 mima said:

All your posts have been really helpful.

Some of them were pretty funny regarding my wording....dicker. LOL That was the best word I could think of for the situation.

I've always called it haggling. haha

Unless the vehicle you are interested in . . . is one of the new 2013 limited edition Shelby Mustangs . . . I feel you should be able to get the vehicle for dealer invoice or maybe + 125.00 or 250.00. The dealership will be earning either 3% or 4% of the STICKER price from the factory which is distributed to them quarterly. For a vehicle that will spend zero time on their lot, so thus zero will be spent in "inventory cost" . . . that is plenty enough profit for the dealer. Example, if it is a 30,000.00 car, 3% is what 900.00 bucks. They unload the car from the 18-wheeled hauler, wash it, fill out the paperwork and you drive it home. Dealers have to work on quantity, moving a LOT of cars in & out and not concentrate on maximum profit on each vehicle.

Is your friend the owner of the dealership? Then he won't or shouldn't have a problem with this. IF it is a salesperson . . . they might prefer a higher profit on each sale but know they can't always achieve that.

Good Luck!


Thank you so much! I will have DH read this. I really didn't know how it worked and your explanation makes sense. Much appreciated!

Mima

Qwackertoo1345387294.7539907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

Good Luck, Mima. Looks like the only incentive right now on the 2013 Fiesta's is a 500.00 Military Appreciation rebate and 2.9 for 36 months with it going up a point for every additional 12 months. You can get the 500.00 IF you qualify in addition to dealer invoice pricing as it is corporate Ford that funds these incentives, not the local dealer.

2012's have 1,000.00 OR 0% for 60 months but I imagine they are getting scarce since it is mid-August.

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

mima1345387877.99713892 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:

Good Luck, Mima. Looks like the only incentive right now on the 2013 Fiesta's is a 500.00 Military Appreciation rebate and 2.9 for 36 months with it going up a point for every additional 12 months. You can get the 500.00 IF you qualify in addition to dealer invoice pricing as it is corporate Ford that funds these incentives, not the local dealer.

2012's have 1,000.00 OR 0% for 60 months but I imagine they are getting scarce since it is mid-August.

Thanks for checking it out. I wouldn't qualify for the military rebate.

The friend does have a 2012 SES, but it has more bells and whistles than I want because it makes the price higher than the 2013 that I do want. I'd rather have the newer year. I don't need fancy wheels and a high dollar stereo! LOL


Mima

Qwackertoo1345388177.7839907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 8/19/2012 mima said:
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:

Good Luck, Mima. Looks like the only incentive right now on the 2013 Fiesta's is a 500.00 Military Appreciation rebate and 2.9 for 36 months with it going up a point for every additional 12 months. You can get the 500.00 IF you qualify in addition to dealer invoice pricing as it is corporate Ford that funds these incentives, not the local dealer.

2012's have 1,000.00 OR 0% for 60 months but I imagine they are getting scarce since it is mid-August.

Thanks for checking it out. I wouldn't qualify for the military rebate.

The friend does have a 2012 SES, but it has more bells and whistles than I want because it makes the price higher than the 2013 that I do want. I'd rather have the newer year. I don't need fancy wheels and a high dollar stereo! LOL

They can swap the wheels out. But then you'd have a 2012 instead of a 2013. You'd just have to figure the difference between getting the 1K or 0% or 2.9 or whatever you'd get on the 2013 unless you a paying cash. We bought the previous year model a few August's ago . . . but at that time they were offering 0% AND 2,000.00 off which is rare as it is usually one or the other but not both.

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

mima1345388533.07713892 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:
On 8/19/2012 mima said:
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:

Good Luck, Mima. Looks like the only incentive right now on the 2013 Fiesta's is a 500.00 Military Appreciation rebate and 2.9 for 36 months with it going up a point for every additional 12 months. You can get the 500.00 IF you qualify in addition to dealer invoice pricing as it is corporate Ford that funds these incentives, not the local dealer.

2012's have 1,000.00 OR 0% for 60 months but I imagine they are getting scarce since it is mid-August.

Thanks for checking it out. I wouldn't qualify for the military rebate.

The friend does have a 2012 SES, but it has more bells and whistles than I want because it makes the price higher than the 2013 that I do want. I'd rather have the newer year. I don't need fancy wheels and a high dollar stereo! LOL

They can swap the wheels out. But then you'd have a 2012 instead of a 2013. You'd just have to figure the difference between getting the 1K or 0% or 2.9 or whatever you'd get on the 2013 unless you a paying cash. We bought the previous year model a few August's ago . . . but at that time they were offering 0% AND 2,000.00 off which is rare as it is usually one or the other but not both.

Ya, I figured even with the $1,000 off it would be higher than the 2013 because it is a special edition (I think).

If they had the deal you got, I might consider it.

The 2012 is an SES and the 2013 is an SE (both hatchbacks).

Mima

happy hous­ewife1345389439.46727997 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:This is yet another reason I prefer to buy new build homes - the builder doesn't negotiate - the price asked is the price.

In our case we got the builder to lower the price. By quite a bit. We also had limits/allowances on various things, flooring, appliances, etc. Every time we'd go over, due to upgrades, ka-ching. But still paid less than original asking price of similar completed home by same builder with our upgraded version.

Another thing I hate buying that they make it difficult to comparison shop is mattresses and carpeting. The practice of just slapping another "name" for the same thing is aggravating.

You know when I wrote this I thought - I bet someone will dispute me on this - but we have built 2 brand new homes and in both cases there were certainly many options available and you were free to chose what you wanted and so were able to keep your price down but also in both cases there was no negotiating what the prices were. Both times we built we used large national builders - Maronda Homes and DH Horton Builders. I'm not saying other people may not have had different experiences but that was our experience - exactly the same - twice. certainly you can choose from the basic home at a much lower price or a much more comfortable and complete home for a higher price. When you choose a basic home they charge you separately for every little upgrade but when you buy a complete package you get the upgrades included.Our first home we bought the basic house and upgraded it as we could afford to - our retirement home we bought a more complete package but not the most expensive.

KathyPet1345389776.2377282 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

OF course you can negotiate the price of a new car with or without a trade in. In fact most experts will tell you to negotiate the price of the new car first and then tell them at the very end of the negotiations that you have a trade in.

One of the things that you need to know about is something called the "dealer holdback". This is a additional premium that the dealer gets on every car they sell. THe amount depends upon dealer volume. THe amount can range from $500 to $1500 a car depending upon the make and model. THis additional premium for the dealer is not reflected on any of the sites that "pretend" to show you the actual dealer invoice on a car such as EDmunds. I find these sites to be a joke with the exception of Consumer Reports. Edmunds in particular says they are telling you dealer invoice but I have never paid that price always paying way less than what Edmunds says is a fair price and that is before my trade in.


Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

Brinklii1345390066.49710277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

Absolutely! They expect it. I've always been able to get them down. Of course, they have to go talk to the "manager" first. LOL!

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Qwackertoo1345390177.639907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:

You know when I wrote this I thought - I bet someone will dispute me on this - but we have built 2 brand new homes and in both cases there were certainly many options available and you were free to chose what you wanted and so were able to keep your price down but also in both cases there was no negotiating what the prices were. Both times we built we used large national builders - Maronda Homes and DH Horton Builders. I'm not saying other people may not have had different experiences but that was our experience - exactly the same - twice. certainly you can choose from the basic home at a much lower price or a much more comfortable and complete home for a higher price. When you choose a basic home they charge you separately for every little upgrade but when you buy a complete package you get the upgrades included.Our first home we bought the basic house and upgraded it as we could afford to - our retirement home we bought a more complete package but not the most expensive.

and that would be because you aren't the be all and know all when it comes to home building. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

esmeraldag­ooch1345390542.4111358 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

MIMA, Are you a CostCo member. If not join for 50 bucks and save money on your car. Costco has a car service for members. You call them with the make and model of the car you want and they send you to the local dealer in your are who will sell you that model at the CostCo discounted price.

Ok, now this is what I did. I found the car and the costco price, then went to the dealer I wanted who had my car with the color I wanted but didn't deal with CostCo. Knowing I could buy the car at another dealer for XXXX the other dealership had to lower the price thousands to compete. Much of this can be done on the phone.

Justice for Justina Pelletier
www.freejustina.com
Help save this child's life
If Boston Children's Hospital can do this to her, your child could be next

KathyPet1345392298.7077282 PostsRegistered 1/25/2006Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

I strongly suggest that you go to Consumersreport.org and use the Car pricing service. You will pay $14.00 for a report that will provide you with full information about the car that you want including all the available options but most importantly the information you need to know on the actual dealer cost for the car including the hold back. This will give you everything you need to negotiate the price on the car. It will be the best $14.00 you ever spoent.


Deep inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out. I can usually shut her up with cookies!!

happy hous­ewife1345392920.02727997 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:

You know when I wrote this I thought - I bet someone will dispute me on this - but we have built 2 brand new homes and in both cases there were certainly many options available and you were free to chose what you wanted and so were able to keep your price down but also in both cases there was no negotiating what the prices were. Both times we built we used large national builders - Maronda Homes and DH Horton Builders. I'm not saying other people may not have had different experiences but that was our experience - exactly the same - twice. certainly you can choose from the basic home at a much lower price or a much more comfortable and complete home for a higher price. When you choose a basic home they charge you separately for every little upgrade but when you buy a complete package you get the upgrades included.Our first home we bought the basic house and upgraded it as we could afford to - our retirement home we bought a more complete package but not the most expensive.

and that would be because you aren't the be all and know all when it comes to home building. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Oh go to heck - I didn't say I was -I stated my personal experience and even said that was what it was. What an idiotic thing to say.

Last edited on 8/19/2012

cats021345393634.9531663 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007

I ALWAYS dicker on the price of a car. The Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price is just that--suggested. Dealers can charge more or less as the market dictates. I go to one of the websites that has the dealer's price for the car I want and then I work up from there (about $500 above dealer's cost is what I aim for). I also try to find out if the dealer is getting anything from the factory for selling the car and I'll try to take that amount out of the dealing process.

If a salesman tells me "take it or leave it" on his price quote, I'll leave it and go elsewhere. You have to go armed with all price data on the car you want. It's the only way to get a deal that benefits the dealer and you.

croemer1345399141.31770705 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009

Never pay full price! You can go to Autobytel.com after you find the car you would like to purchase, you will be prompted how many miles of dealerships you would be willing to have contact with & the exact model you are interested in. Autobytel will contact the dealership with the exact car you are interested in purchasing and the dealership Internet managers will contact you either by e-mail or phone your choice. Autobytel will prompt if you prefer to be contacted by either...e-mail or phone(we chose e-mail because we are braver to deal with by e-mail) and you deal with the Internet finance manager only...cutting out the salesman. I did not like cutting the salesman out but I bought our Lexus this way because the salesman would not budge. The Internet manager cut the cost by $4,800.00 in minutes and we purchased the car within 15 minutes whereas we had been dealing with the salesman for at least a week trying to get the cost down...to no avail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Beware the drowning snake."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The tongue is a small thing, but what enormous damage it can do.




suzyQ31345399732.09322889 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:
On 8/19/2012 Qwackertoo said:
On 8/19/2012 morning lover said:

You know when I wrote this I thought - I bet someone will dispute me on this - but we have built 2 brand new homes and in both cases there were certainly many options available and you were free to chose what you wanted and so were able to keep your price down but also in both cases there was no negotiating what the prices were. Both times we built we used large national builders - Maronda Homes and DH Horton Builders. I'm not saying other people may not have had different experiences but that was our experience - exactly the same - twice. certainly you can choose from the basic home at a much lower price or a much more comfortable and complete home for a higher price. When you choose a basic home they charge you separately for every little upgrade but when you buy a complete package you get the upgrades included.Our first home we bought the basic house and upgraded it as we could afford to - our retirement home we bought a more complete package but not the most expensive.

and that would be because you aren't the be all and know all when it comes to home building. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Oh go to heck - I didn't say I was -I stated my personal experience and even said that was what it was. What an idiotic thing to say.

Actually, you said, "This is yet another reason I prefer to buy new build homes - the builder doesn't negotiate - the price asked is the price."


Sybil VS E­ve1345403500.1374981 PostsRegistered 8/31/2009The Far Side
On 8/18/2012 mima said:

Just wondering. I'd think they could come down a bit off the sticker price for a new car. Is there a percentage to go by or is that usually the set price?

The guy acted like "well this is the price, period". No dealings.

I do understand they need to make some money, but hate paying full price. Wanting to get a deal is just how I'm made up.

I always want a discount or look for coupons/codes.

No, I don't but my husband does.


And a basic rule to keep in mind is that opinion and facts are not the same. We are all allowed to have our own opinions, but not our own facts. - Noel7

hckynut1345403815.70717671 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 8/18/2012 Maggie Nolia said:

No, you don't dicker! You're prepared and decisive, knowing how much you're willing to pay before you even walk in the door! Good for you!

Approximately how much off the invoice price is the real value to the dealer?

TIA.

That depends on how many vehicles they've sold to start with during that month, and that is why I always chose to purchase and/or order my new vehicles close to the end of the month. Each dealer gets a kickback from the manufacturer and the amount depends on the number and also the price of the vehicles sold.

Until I purchased new cars for my "now wife(she paid for them)", I always ordered my own personal cars so they would be custom fitted with exactly the options/engine/transmission/differential gear ratio, and so on. It is overall cheaper to "order" one than to purchase one off the lot, most of the time. Why? Because they do not have to insure it any longer than it takes to get it ready for me to pick up. Insurance savings????, could be lot's of $$$$

Once manufacturers started installing brand name audio systems and other options, many times that manufacturer also gives them a kickback, depending again on the number and value of those that were sold.

Takes a lot of work, but know someone that is a friend of mine that either used to be a new car dealer, or is currently one that owns a dealership. They tell me exactly how they get the true value of any vehicle, and that is the "real value" to the dealer. Unfortunately, they do not sell the brands I am using looking to purchase, so I buy elsewhere. They are more than happy to help, because very few people know how to get this information .

I will pay as much as $200 above the "real value", and that's it. They don't meet it, I move on to a different dealership. Have yet to find one that would not sell one for close to these prices.


hckynut(john)




lulu21345409388.69719823 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007

We've been purchasing or leasing cars from the same dealer for many years. When the time comes, my husband makes a call and tells the owner what we want. I have no idea whether or not he "dickers".

Page 3 of 4