Dooney Days
112 Members and 16623 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Traveling with your adult children

Started 1343148740.15 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1343222248.343 by chrystaltree

My son and I are big Disney fans. He is an adult single and says none of his freinds consider Disney a place for a vacation. So he and I go every year or so. Does anyone else ever travel with their adult single kids? Just wondering if I am the only one who does this.

Lif'e's roughest storms prove the strenght of our Anchors.

Page 1 of 2
clista1343149094.21101 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have been traveling with my adult single son for about 15 years. Husband was never a good traveler, now he is unable to travel. My son and I have a great time. We have covered all of Europe, Egypt, China, Scandinavia several times. We used to go on coach land tours, but now my arthritis requires cruises.

Irshgrl312­011343149098.3814774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Yes, I do. My daughter is 23 and I love traveling with her because she loves to travel as much as I do. Last year we went to Europe and instead of staying in hotels like I normally would we stayed in hostels. You learn so much more about the area and the non touristy things to do while staying in hostels.

Qwackertoo1343149224.60310880 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

Not yet but planning. She isn't even moved away yet. Leaving next week for college so planning a trip for her & I to go to Disney during Christmas break. Son will still be in school (high school) so it'll just be the two of us going. :)

Next we'll go to NYC together as husband and son aren't interested.

Jannabelle1343149320.69717956 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008
On 7/24/2012 Irshgrl31201 said:

Yes, I do. My daughter is 23 and I love traveling with her because she loves to travel as much as I do. Last year we went to Europe and instead of staying in hotels like I normally would we stayed in hostels. You learn so much more about the area and the non touristy things to do while staying in hostels.

Brave girl, don't you share a bath with strangers? lol....and do you get your own room, I am curious.

I think it's great to travel with grown children,creates memories for both of you .

No longer a bug! ; )

JaneMarple1343149489.85316816 PostsRegistered 5/23/2011Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.

I travel quite often with two of my four kids, we're history nuts and like to visit museums and historical sights. Also we we all love the beach and frequent the beaches from Maryland to Massachusetts.

Stop fighting over who created the world and fight against the people who are destroying it.

Fifi11343149654.4334762 PostsRegistered 1/21/2005
we have traveled several times with our adult DS and have a great time! He's so fun to travel with!

speedyindi­sguise1343149813.1278733 PostsRegistered 3/30/2009Atlanta, GA

I do it too. I travel with my mom sometimes. DH and my dad don't like to travel the same places as me and mom - think cruises and Disney. In fact, usually me, my mom, my older sister and her daughters travel to Disney every March.

Your BELIEFS don’t make you a better person, your BEHAVIOR does.

Caravaggio1343149882.9439138 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008

I travel with my 23 yo DD. We have fun see nothing wrong with it.

Once you lick the frosting off a cupcake it becomes a muffin...and muffins are healthy. You're welcome!

Irshgrl312­011343149972.86314774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 7/24/2012 Jannabelle said:

Brave girl, don't you share a bath with strangers? lol....and do you get your own room, I am curious.

I think it's great to travel with grown children,creates memories for both of you .

There are many ways you can get a hostel. You can get your own room and bath, you can share a room with other people. We tried to get our own room and bath when possible but sometimes they are all booked up. We don't spend a lot of time there anyway so sharing it with other people wasn't the issue I thought it would be. I wasn't crazy about it at all but we met so many great people with a great spirit of adventure and it really rubs off on you. My daughter loved it and when I was 23 I would have loved it too but I was worried about it being 41 (at the time) but it really was a non issue. A lot fo hostels are actually just hotels. SOme look more like hostels with bunk beds and a common kitchen. YOu would be surprised at how nice some are. I book through hostelworld.com and they give ratings by fellow travelers that are usually pretty accurate. Hostels are great if you are traveling for 3 weeks or more becuase they are so much more economical than a hotel. We did spend our last week at the Ritz Carlton in Paris because momma needed a little luxury. Lol..

di-mc1343150337.777537 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

DD and I travel together often and we have a great time. Our favorite place is NYC, but we've just come home from Ireland and we've been to Bermuda several times. She and I go to NYC, but the other trips include Dh(her Dad), and the Ireland trip included one of my sons and his wife. We enjoy each other's company! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Jannabelle1343150368.5617956 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008

There are many ways you can get a hostel. You can get your own room and bath, you can share a room with other people. We tried to get our own room and bath when possible but sometimes they are all booked up. We don't spend a lot of time there anyway so sharing it with other people wasn't the issue I thought it would be. I wasn't crazy about it at all but we met so many great people with a great spirit of adventure and it really rubs off on you. My daughter loved it and when I was 23 I would have loved it too but I was worried about it being 41 (at the time) but it really was a non issue. A lot fo hostels are actually just hotels. SOme look more like hostels with bunk beds and a common kitchen. YOu would be surprised at how nice some are. I book through hostelworld.com and they give ratings by fellow travelers that are usually pretty accurate. Hostels are great if you are traveling for 3 weeks or more becuase they are so much more economical than a hotel. We did spend our last week at the Ritz Carlton in Paris because momma needed a little luxury. Lol..

Now you're talking! lol. I am all for saving money, but I love my privacy, but it may not be as uncomfortable as I'm thinking.....sharing a kitchen not a big deal, but a bath, I don't know.

Thanks for the info and thanks to the op for allowing me to get some extra info.

No longer a bug! ; )

Jannabelle1343150369.1717956 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008

Now you're talking! lol. I am all for saving money, but I love my privacy, but it may not be as uncomfortable as I'm thinking.....sharing a kitchen not a big deal, but a bath, I don't know.

Thanks for the info and thanks to the op for allowing me to get some extra info.

No longer a bug! ; )

Irshgrl312­011343150525.2814774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

If you book ahead of time, you can get your own bath in almost every city you are going to. We went there with really short notice and on a whim so we didn't make a lot of reservations before going because we weren't sure even which cities we were going to go to. Hostels are much bigger in Europe than they are here. Some are very luxurious too. Check out that website if you are interested, they show pictures.

JaneMarple1343150633.37716816 PostsRegistered 5/23/2011Seek respect, not attention. It lasts longer.

I am planning on a trip to the Florida Keys this holiday season with my two oldest girls, I love their company. I usually travel out of the country with my sister.

Stop fighting over who created the world and fight against the people who are destroying it.

Jannabelle1343150875.39717956 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008

If you book ahead of time, you can get your own bath in almost every city you are going to. We went there with really short notice and on a whim so we didn't make a lot of reservations before going because we weren't sure even which cities we were going to go to. Hostels are much bigger in Europe than they are here. Some are very luxurious too. Check out that website if you are interested, they show pictures.

Thanks, I am already looking at it, would reading the reviews give you a good idea of if it's a safe area?

No longer a bug! ; )

Jannabelle1343150876.33717956 PostsRegistered 1/13/2008

Thanks, I am already looking at it, would reading the reviews give you a good idea of if it's a safe area?

No longer a bug! ; )

di-mc1343151005.2177537 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

We were just in Ireland and I saw several hostels. Brave souls who enter there.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

hckynut1343151007.52719863 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska
On 7/24/2012 crazered said:

My son and I are big Disney fans. He is an adult single and says none of his freinds consider Disney a place for a vacation. So he and I go every year or so. Does anyone else ever travel with their adult single kids? Just wondering if I am the only one who does this.

I can't speak to this personally because I have no children and my mother died long before I made enough money to take her on any trips.

My wife however has been all over the country with her mother, including a couple cruises. I don't like going somewhere just to be going or looking, and my mother-in-law and wife love doing these things.

Don't see a thing wrong with this, and I think anyone that does?

hckynut(john)

Irshgrl312­011343151192.86714774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006

Yes it does. That is hard to know what area is safe when visiting a new city but I find hostelworlds reviews great for learning about an area. Even if I am staying in a hotel, I still look at reviews of the area through hostel world just to get an idea of the area. We have picked a few bad areas in Italy when we first started but it was my fault because I didn't read the reviews at first at all. I just went by the pictures.

FATCATinCT1343151393.552641 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

Irish, in reading your post it reminded me of a movie I saw not long ago. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. DH and I loved it.

Irshgrl312­011343151435.86714774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 7/24/2012 di-mc said:

We were just in Ireland and I saw several hostels. Brave souls who enter there.

Then you weren't looking at good ones. I have stayed in 2 hostels in Ireland and they were better than a lot of 3 star hotels. There are bad hostels but there are a lot of great ones too.

Irshgrl312­011343151562.80714774 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 7/24/2012 FATCATinCT said:

Irish, in reading your post it reminded me of a movie I saw not long ago. Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. DH and I loved it.

I have been wanting to see that movie. The previews look cute.

Abby Grace1343171373.7731233 PostsRegistered 6/12/2011

I love to travel with my adult daughter. She is SO much fun, and we have a blast!

ratdog1111343179284.4514924 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

They are not adults yet but my two teenaged boys spent three days in Disney with their old mom while dad attended a conference in Orlando.

onewhiteSp­arrow1343180202.049947 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

I love to travel with our Son. He makes all the plans after we talk over all the fun things we want to see and do. He puts the trip together so perfect and fun, I think he should be a personal travel guide for people. Several times he has put together trips for groups and traveled with them all over the place.

As I write this he and friends are out there traveling around in different States and enjoying life. I'm sure he will keep the information about his trip for our fun trip when we travel to those areas in the future. Did I say I LOVE to travel with our Son? :)

"From the mundane to the profound. You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul. That tale will move them & drive them & who knows what they might do because of it, because of your words."

Page 1 of 2