Keurig Offer
18 Members and 9387 Guests Online

Viewpoints

West Coast Florida babes

Started 1340543711.797 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1340829808.51 by ROMARY

I hope you are all staying high and dry. Our small town has not had a direct hit from a storm for 44 years but this one is directly there. At least it isn't a hurricane yet. We are on vacation in Pa so we are very worried since our house is right on a lake but there is nothing we can do. They just showed downtown Sarasota and people are driving through the water that is several inches deep. Our house is only 1 1/2 miles from the beach.

The weather channel is only showing Pensacola - not showing the actual areas where the storm is much. They are more concerned about where the storm is going than where it currently is stalled over and dumping a ton of rain.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Page 1 of 2
Day2Day1340546116.697856 PostsRegistered 10/14/2009

Must be very stressful for you! Home your home is, and will be OK. Maybe you can check conditions close to your home via local TV and radio stations on line. It appears to be such a slow moving storm, I'm suprised they have Jim Canore so far north in the panhandle in Pensacola. It'll be a while before he goes into full drama=rama!

happy hous­ewife1340546581.76731284 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

They showed about 5 seconds of Sarasota and keep going back to Pensacola. Why aren't they showing the areas where the storm is stalled over right now? Who cares what may be going to happen in Pensacola. Oh well. I brought up channel 7 in Sarasota online and they showed webcam of the beach there and at least it is not underwater - the problems may be during the next high tide they say.

I'd rather be there than here - it is nerve racking to not know what is going on in your home. Of course - if in fact our house would flood we are better off not being there.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1340547611.88710143 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
The people on Pensacola and the rest of the Panhandle probably care. They probably don't have a crew down in Sarasota. I hope your house O's ok.

happy hous­ewife1340547983.7131284 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 6/24/2012 gidgetgoeshawaiian said: The people on Pensacola and the rest of the Panhandle probably care. They probably don't have a crew down in Sarasota. I hope your house O's ok.

That is my point - why don't they have crews in Ft.Meyers or Naples - where they had tornados yesterday or Tampa where they are predicted to get up to a foot of rain? This storm is currently over a few hundred miles of florida's Gulf coast and they go to the panhandle to broadcast.

Burnsite1340548091.897359 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007

I hope your home stays safe and dry, ml. I am on the other coast (SE) and we are getting hammered right now just by outer bands. The weather guy in my area says it will be bad for at least another day.

It's not really heavier than many summer showers but it's continuing longer. Still, the sandy soil can hold a lot of moisture.

A few nights ago in light rain, a huge bough from my neighbors ancient live oak tree came down, missing my roof by 2 feet and almost mashing my outdoor a/c unit. A little stand of areca palms that it hit first was holding it away from the unit. So it could have been worse but now I am worrying about the rest of the old tree. I love it that my neighborhood has old trees and is shady--except when it storms.

FL is ecologically built on summer storms so in all probability the flooding will be in the swampy places that need the water right now. I hope your home stays safe.

arrianna1340550825.8335072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

ML I hope your house is OK, are there neighbors there you can call? Burnsite, that sounds scary to have a branch fall so close to your house.

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Last edited on 6/24/2012

IN2BE1340554991.67803 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

Right now, the worst of it seems to be north of us around St. Pete and Tampa.

We are having steady rain in Venice, but not much wind. The news reports say Tampa is getting 44mph gusts. The storm appears to be moving to the northeast very slowly.

Day2Day1340555626.463856 PostsRegistered 10/14/2009

Central FL, north of Orlando with tornado warnings til 8:00 PM. Quite extensive thruout the state.

KittyLouWho1340557767.11726542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

A friend and her husband were driving down to Destin today for a week's vacation.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

dooBdoo1340558164.1116307 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

My prayers and positive thoughts for all who are in the path of the storms. I have friends in that area. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

happy hous­ewife1340560479.91731284 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 6/24/2012 IN2BE said:

Right now, the worst of it seems to be north of us around St. Pete and Tampa.

We are having steady rain in Venice, but not much wind. The news reports say Tampa is getting 44mph gusts. The storm appears to be moving to the northeast very slowly.

Oh really. thank Goodness. The NWS site says possible coastal flooding with the high tide this evening . When they say "coastal flooding" how far inland are they referring to?

I live in and they are famous there for saying they haven't had a direct hit from a storm for 44 years.To that I say "UH OH we are due!"

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Last edited on 6/24/2012

doxiemom 41340561027.62327472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL

ML, Right now the whole state is getting soaked. We had a tornado warning before, over here on the East Coast. I expect to see this on and off during the next 36 hours.

As where Debby will make landfall is still up in the air. Now they are say, it could be from Tampa, to the Panhandle. The whole state will get tropical force rains and wind.

The best site to follow this on is Weather Underground. When you get to tht site, go to blogs. Click on Dr. Jeff Masters, and read his and all the comments. You get the best info on this site.

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

Giordan1340561037.2871906 PostsRegistered 8/5/2011

So far, Naples is doing fine. The power has been out on Marco Island for awhile.

Prayers and good wishes for others in the storm's path.

SophiaMarie1340561251.716732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

Stay with "Weather Bug" and click on "radar". There is no problem up in Sarasota - nothing to worry about. It's right there in living color. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

arrianna1340562249.175072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

Prayers offered for all of our Florida posters.

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Qwackertoo1340562310.70710471 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 6/24/2012 morning lover said:

They showed about 5 seconds of Sarasota and keep going back to Pensacola. Why aren't they showing the areas where the storm is stalled over right now? Who cares what may be going to happen in Pensacola. Oh well. I brought up channel 7 in Sarasota online and they showed webcam of the beach there and at least it is not underwater - the problems may be during the next high tide they say.

I'd rather be there than here - it is nerve racking to not know what is going on in your home. Of course - if in fact our house would flood we are better off not being there.

NEWS FLASH: It is not all about YOU all the time.

In our state . . . they start with non-stop coverage from the time the dangerous weather hits the western border and go non-stop until the storms move past the eastern border . . . yes it is hours upon hours and many of those hours do not affect us but they do affect millions of other LIVES who are indeed very interested in hearing about where the storm is heading to take cover and shelter.

FrostyBabe1340562374.093164 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004in the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location

My family in Bradenton and Sarasota say it's raining like a son-of-a-gun with high wind gusts from time to time. Friends out by Myakka City are currently under a tornado warning and the whole area is under a tornado watch until later this evening. Another friend out on one of the barrier islands said there is a lot of street and parking lot flooding (not surprising since the island is basically a giant sand bar and even a little rain can cause flooding) and on the beach it looks like the tide had come up within inches of the seawall at my place and there's likely to be a good deal of beach errosion. I just peeked at one of the beach webcams and it's really rolling. I didn't even see any surfers.

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Francesca Reigler

dooBdoo1340562422.3916307 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 6/24/2012 Qwackertoo said:

NEWS FLASH: It is not all about YOU all the time.

In our state . . . they start with non-stop coverage from the time the dangerous weather hits the western border and go non-stop until the storms move past the eastern border . . . yes it is hours upon hours and many of those hours do not affect us but they do affect millions of other LIVES who are indeed very interested in hearing about where the storm is heading to take cover and shelter.

Good point, Quackertoo.

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1340565919.69310143 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/24/2012 Canada61 said:

I remember a storm in Florida recently but you were up north and it wasn't supposed to hit your area. You posted you didn't care ( your words). People did call you out on that. It was very insensitive. Karma might be coming your way someday.

Caring people are always concerned for others in the path of a storm, no matter how close or far they are to the affected area. You only care about yourself as you have stated.

I remember that also. It was a thread I had started on Tropical Storm Beryl.

dooBdoo1340566134.816307 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 6/24/2012 gidgetgoeshawaiian said:
On 6/24/2012 Canada61 said:

I remember a storm in Florida recently but you were up north and it wasn't supposed to hit your area. You posted you didn't care ( your words). People did call you out on that. It was very insensitive. Karma might be coming your way someday.

Caring people are always concerned for others in the path of a storm, no matter how close or far they are to the affected area. You only care about yourself as you have stated.

I remember that also. It was a thread I had started on Tropical Storm Beryl.

I knew this sounded familiar. I saw that one, too. I would hope all of us are concerned about the welfare of everyone, no matter what their location or who they are. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

dooBdoo1340566427.316307 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

Just as a general tip: I find it very helpful to use a couple of good weather apps on my iPhone, including one with alerts about approaching storms and weather problems. They usually have setup features allowing you to enter specific cities or zip codes of interest to you, and many of them show videos and real-time radar maps.

soxfan1340570475.7433889 PostsRegistered 2/10/2005Just north of Boston and central Florida

I care! My dear brother and sister-in-law live there!

It's always something...

sunshine451340570910.16741121 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

posted on facebook by judy crowell

Our neighbor said in all his yrs of living here (including thru 5 or 6 hurricanes), he's never seen flooding like this. I may not get home. Cars can't drive on or off the causeways. The Sunshine Skyway Bridge is closed! It's serious.

In the midst of Tropical Storm Debbie on Rt 4 Orlando. Touch and go! Tons of accidents! Paul said people are kayaking down the STREET near our house. Yikes!!!! Flooding everywhere!

Last edited on 6/24/2012

Last edited on 6/24/2012

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

gidgetgoes­hawaiian1340572269.3210143 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I just found out that my 16 year old nephew is on his way to Sarasota with a friend's family. They're in FL now, but still have a ways to go to get to Sarasota. I wish my sister hadn't told me. Now I can worry about that.

JuJu Squee­zy1340572347.8573362 PostsRegistered 11/1/2011

I'm watching Bay news, the whole of central FL is a mess but the bay area is really getting the worst of it. Good Luck, too much rain!

Page 1 of 2