TSV(R) Preview
121 Members and 16406 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Reiki vs Massage?

Started 1338528160.373 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1338630996.903 by erblst

I've had a massage before but never the reiki. Does reiki involve any type of massage?

Page 1 of 1
SUZYQUE1338528824.521522 PostsRegistered 12/29/2011

No reiki has no massage involved. The practioner may never touch you. It involves more energy work rather than physical. It involves channeling healing energy to the parts of your body that are in need of healing. I find it very relaxing but very very differnt relaxation than massage. Massage relaxes my body but Reiki aligns my energy and relaxes me mentally. The power of the energies around us have a much more profound effect on us than most people realize.

violann1338555309.5612924 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Since Reiki may also be done through gentle touch, it can be a nice adjunct to massage.




I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

Twizzle1338565218.4335727 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011

My Reiki practitioner uses gentle touch, no massage...........but I love both Reiki and massages.

It's Robinhood in reverse

JJsMom1338572077.7519954 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

That is funny ... I was just going to ask about reiki yesterday.

Does reiki really work? I am a skeptic about New Age-y things or anything that involves the use of "energy" to heal. I have a friend who is certified in reiki, and she offered to perform it on me next time I see her. I wouldn't mind trying it.

Maggie Nol­ia1338572228.7414669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Reiki vs Massage?

There doesn't have to be a vs at all. Do both.

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.


"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

fromagio1338572993.16351 PostsRegistered 5/21/2012

Reiki really does work. Classes are now being offered at two of our local hospitals. As western medicine moves towards a more holistic approach, the value of Reiki and Healing Touch is becoming more accepted by people. Our local hospice provides it as well.

puglet1338573184.2772153 PostsRegistered 9/3/2011

There's a poster with the nic "reiki..". She's a practitioner and is very knowledgeable. If you post in Wellness & Health or page her there, there's a strong likelihood she'll see it and respond. Smile

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. ~ Anatole France

Snowpuppy1338575824.8976628 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI
On 6/1/2012 fromagio said:

Reiki really does work. Classes are now being offered at two of our local hospitals. As western medicine moves towards a more holistic approach, the value of Reiki and Healing Touch is becoming more accepted by people. Our local hospice provides it as well.

What's the dif between reiki and healing touch therapies? I understand reiki can offer either no or very light touch.

My Dr told me many of the nurses he's worked with over the years practice Healing Touch therapies.

sometimesQ­VCjunkie1338577992.0632740 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008

I'm not an expert in Reiki but my masseuse does some Reiki when I get my monthly massages and I can tell you I feel VERY relaxed and at peace with the world and myself after these sessions! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

velveteenb1338579622.8972837 PostsRegistered 5/11/2006

hihi --

i used to be a massage therapist. one of my massage teachers was a Reiki master and offered to work on me. i knew nothing about Reiki at the time, but was having a lot of emotional turmoil and figured i'd try anything.

frankly, i didn't find it helpful. i ended up cranky and impatient. now ... of course that's only my experience and YMMV. many years later, many states away, i went for a reflexology treatment. that practitioner incorporated Reiki and i felt very calm and peaceful and rejuvenated after.

to answer your original question: my experience is that Reiki and massage can be combined and that many massage therapists consider energy work an integral part of their practice. however ... the Reiki practitioners/masters i have known do not include touch as often in their practice, which i've only experienced clothed. also, some Reiki masters work long distance, as it were. they feel they can work with your energy and not need to be in the same room/building/state.

i've probably made things as clear as mud now, haven't i? LOL my apologies if i did, and i hope this helped anyway!

bunny. the dangerously complicated rabbit.

fromagio1338580114.683351 PostsRegistered 5/21/2012

I will do my best to explain as I am more experienced at Healing touch but only have level 1 Reiki. The similarities are that you can use either on yourself and/or others. You can do both on animals as well. Both are energy work and can use light touch or no touch. As for differences, it is hard for me to really tell at this point since I am still in training and do not want to give you any wrong information. What I do know is that so far, it seems that Healing Touch seems to have more and different hand positions to address very specific ailments. This may not be true, though, since I am just beginning Reiki. I also know that to be a practioner of Reiki, you need to be "attuned" by a Reiki Master, whereas with Healing Touch you do not. Formal training for Healing Touch is much longer than for Reiki, but the practice time for both is very important because it takes time to develop the intuitive feelings that you need to be a really good practioner. Although I am told that even though a student may have not yet developed the intuitive feelings, the treatments they give are still effective. With both, the practioner needs to set a good intention to a higher power, and the practioner is a conduit to this Higher Power. The healing comes from the Higher Power. The healing is not always physical healing. It could also be emotional, such as more acceptance and peace. I hope this helps, but I also hope that there are some other lovelies that can offer a more comprehensive explanation.

erblst1338584335.3872531 PostsRegistered 5/19/2008Central NH

I am a Reiki Master so you KNOW I believe that it works wonders for most people. If you are skeptical, you may not agree with that.

My practice with Reiki is now ONLY with animals - they LOVE it. Cats hate it - I haven't found one yet that will allow you to give reiki energy to it - they'll jump off your lap like "don't YOU try to give me energy" LOL. But I have used Reiki on dogs, horses and other large farm animals with success, especially really stressed animals. I helped a neighbor farmer when one of his cows was having a tough birth - the reiki calmed the animal down and the baby was born!!!

I enjoy giving reiki to animals - they kinda prove to me there is no 'placebo' effect - my mini-daschund will 'ask' for reiki, no kidding!

Magenta1338585638.789585 PostsRegistered 11/4/2004washington, d.c.

i have had both, and had good results with Reiki and Healing Touch. So too with Cranio Sacral treatments, which originated in Palm Beach by a physician, I believe an asthesiologist (sp?) and it is to move the fluid in the body to balance this out. The therapist has to have a medical background, nurse, m.d., or have studied massage therapy and is strictly reinforced.

My cardiologist b-i-l practices the latter and has taught these classes, as instructed by the Institute, which whole name I forgot, and I have seen remarkable results. His daughter studied massage, is a Reiki Master, also has 2 years of pre-med school and her Reiki treatments are combined also with cranio sacral treatments, as she has taken many classes as well. She can give too long distance treatments for Reiki, as I have seen remarkable success and improvements when totally miserable, and having really bad stomach pain (as if I had an ulcer) after the treatment I was totally fine, and it never returned. I had a little toe that was so swollen, nothing helped no shoes fit. Also another l.d. treeatment reduced this probem to that I could wear any shoes I had.

She is the one who has been accepted in Bastyr, Naturopathic Medical School in Seattle Washington. On the whole she combines all 3 of the treatments, and has colleagues and clients on a long list... so all methods are helpful.

Hope this helps - as it is all very pure energy, moved through the body.

Magenta

Last edited on 6/1/2012

Last edited on 6/1/2012

reiki6041338586514.8931627 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008nyc

WOW!! As my name implies I am a Reiki Master and have been practicing for about 20 years. I guess you can say I believe it works.

The others on this thread have given a very good explaination as to what Reiki is. It is energy work and can, but does not necessarily involve touch. Reiki can be performed from distances as energy can transcend space.

Reiki is being used as a complement to western medicine in many major medical facilities. My first experience was with my Dad when he was hospitalized after Chemo with sepsis. His heartrate was over 110 due to the infection. I went in and was just talking to him with my hand resting on his mid chest as I focused my energy through my hand. I watched his heartrate decrease to in the 80's. I never told him what I was doing, we were just chatting. His heart rate remained normal for the rest of his hospital stay.

I go for massage regularly and try to make sure my massage therapist is also a Reiki practioner. More bang for the buck that way {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

growing old is mandatory \growing wise is optional

fromagio1338586622.88351 PostsRegistered 5/21/2012

My cats love it, but that is probably because they are my cats. Cats are not very accepting towards strangers, like other animals are. I'll bet you love your practice, erbist. What a wonderful job to have!

metrogal1338589191.8473718 PostsRegistered 10/28/2004
On 6/1/2012 reiki604 said:

WOW!! As my name implies I am a Reiki Master and have been practicing for about 20 years. I guess you can say I believe it works.

The others on this thread have given a very good explaination as to what Reiki is. It is energy work and can, but does not necessarily involve touch. Reiki can be performed from distances as energy can transcend space.

Reiki is being used as a complement to western medicine in many major medical facilities. My first experience was with my Dad when he was hospitalized after Chemo with sepsis. His heartrate was over 110 due to the infection. I went in and was just talking to him with my hand resting on his mid chest as I focused my energy through my hand. I watched his heartrate decrease to in the 80's. I never told him what I was doing, we were just chatting. His heart rate remained normal for the rest of his hospital stay.

I go for massage regularly and try to make sure my massage therapist is also a Reiki practioner. More bang for the buck that way {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hi Reiki: Do you practice in NYC?

reiki6041338589476.241627 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008nyc
On 6/1/2012 metrogal said:
On 6/1/2012 reiki604 said:

WOW!! As my name implies I am a Reiki Master and have been practicing for about 20 years. I guess you can say I believe it works.

The others on this thread have given a very good explaination as to what Reiki is. It is energy work and can, but does not necessarily involve touch. Reiki can be performed from distances as energy can transcend space.

Reiki is being used as a complement to western medicine in many major medical facilities. My first experience was with my Dad when he was hospitalized after Chemo with sepsis. His heartrate was over 110 due to the infection. I went in and was just talking to him with my hand resting on his mid chest as I focused my energy through my hand. I watched his heartrate decrease to in the 80's. I never told him what I was doing, we were just chatting. His heart rate remained normal for the rest of his hospital stay.

I go for massage regularly and try to make sure my massage therapist is also a Reiki practioner. More bang for the buck that way {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hi Reiki: Do you practice in NYC?

I'm in one of the Boroughs, not Manhattan.

growing old is mandatory \growing wise is optional

metrogal1338590197.893718 PostsRegistered 10/28/2004
On 6/1/2012 reiki604 said:
On 6/1/2012 metrogal said:
On 6/1/2012 reiki604 said:

WOW!! As my name implies I am a Reiki Master and have been practicing for about 20 years. I guess you can say I believe it works.

The others on this thread have given a very good explaination as to what Reiki is. It is energy work and can, but does not necessarily involve touch. Reiki can be performed from distances as energy can transcend space.

Reiki is being used as a complement to western medicine in many major medical facilities. My first experience was with my Dad when he was hospitalized after Chemo with sepsis. His heartrate was over 110 due to the infection. I went in and was just talking to him with my hand resting on his mid chest as I focused my energy through my hand. I watched his heartrate decrease to in the 80's. I never told him what I was doing, we were just chatting. His heart rate remained normal for the rest of his hospital stay.

I go for massage regularly and try to make sure my massage therapist is also a Reiki practioner. More bang for the buck that way {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hi Reiki: Do you practice in NYC?

I'm in one of the Boroughs, not Manhattan.

If I'm not intruding.............I'm in Bklyn.....would this be your location.... also can you make a recommendation?

reiki6041338595072.5971627 PostsRegistered 10/22/2008nyc

metrogal.......I was born and bred in Bklyn and lived there for most of my life until I crossed the VB. I feel uncomfortable giving out a rec online but if you contact the complementary medical dept in the hospitals there (usually associated with the oncology or surgical dept) you should be able to find what you are looking for.

growing old is mandatory \growing wise is optional

metrogal13385954213718 PostsRegistered 10/28/2004
On 6/1/2012 reiki604 said:

metrogal.......I was born and bred in Bklyn and lived there for most of my life until I crossed the VB. I feel uncomfortable giving out a rec online but if you contact the complementary medical dept in the hospitals there (usually associated with the oncology or surgical dept) you should be able to find what you are looking for.


Tnanks my fellow Bklynite{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

OldFoogey1338600583.7771947 PostsRegistered 4/20/2007

Thank you for your replies. Ther`s a special in or town for $19.00 for 1 hour of treatment, think I`ll give it a whirl, might have found a new splurge.

NChgOfMyAt­titude1338601323.295180 PostsRegistered 10/18/2006Connecticut
On 6/1/2012 OldFoogey said:

Thank you for your replies. Ther`s a special in or town for $19.00 for 1 hour of treatment, think I`ll give it a whirl, might have found a new splurge.


That's a great price. I was paying $50 for an hour.

Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it ~
Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time ~

Twizzle1338601855.0035727 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011
On 6/1/2012 OldFoogey said:

Thank you for your replies. Ther`s a special in or town for $19.00 for 1 hour of treatment, think I`ll give it a whirl, might have found a new splurge.

Wow, I'd take advantage of that in a heartbeat. I pay $60 an hour, and that's probably less than the charge in metropolitan areas.

It's Robinhood in reverse

erblst1338630996.9032531 PostsRegistered 5/19/2008Central NH

I'm truly thrilled to see so many Reiki masters & practioners on board! LOVE IT!!

I wanted to add that when DH had to have major surgery, it was in a hospital 2 hours away and I had to continue to work. As a Master, I have the ability to attune others and attuned DH to Reiki I level. He gave himself Reiki in the hospital, and I sent him distance Reiki at the same time. His surgeons were impressed and when DH told him about the Reiki he expected the dr. to roll his eyes - instead, the doctor told DH they had Reiki available right in the hospital and the dr. offered to connect him with the program - when this happened, the Reiki practitioner saw his last name and asked if he knew me - I was HER reiki master.

Small world - huh?

framagio -- you're probably right about the cats - I can't have cats as I am highly allergic and I'm betting they know this so they take off when I try to give them Reiki, LOL. I'm not supposed to be around them, but I still try to give them Reiki when their 'owner' asks me to - I just have more success with animals other than kitties. I hate being allergic to cats - but it might be a good thing as I'd probably have a ton of them!!!

Page 1 of 1