Creede Silver Sale
150 Members and 14502 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Family robbed after teen posts photo of money on Facebook

Started 1338309102.813 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1338342067.26 by mdmc
<h1 class="gl_headline"></h1>

Paul J. Richards / AFP - Getty Images

<!-- end11936761 -->

On Thursday, a teenage girl posted a photo of a "large sum of cash" on Facebook. About seven hours later, two robbers arrived at her family's home. Unsurprisingly, this incident prompted local authorities to issue a warning about the dangers of posting photographs online.

According to BBC News, the 17-year-old girl was helping her 72-year-old grandmother count her cash savings when she decided to snap a photo of the money and post it on Facebook. A press release by the local polce force explains that this social media activity occured in Sydney, Australia at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. At 11:30 p.m. on the same day, a house about 75 miles south-west was invaded by two armed men. The girl's mother, a 58-year-old man and a 14-year-old boy were home at the time.

Brandishing a knife and a wooden club, the two men "allegedly entered the home demanding to speak with the girl about the cash" seen in the Facebook photo. After the girl's mother explained that she no longer lives at that address, the men proceeded to search the house and "took a small amount of cash and other personal property before leaving."

It is unclear how the robbers connected the girl's social media activity to her mother's home address, but authorities are nonetheless urging "users of social media to take extreme caution when posting photographs and personal information." I suspect that's a polite way of saying "Use some common sense, folks!"

It's Robinhood in reverse

Page 1 of 1
itslikeher­dingcats1338309269.954039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

Beware those who post pics of your D&B handbags on this site, someone will try to rob you!!{#emotions_dlg.devil2} JKing!!

imaclothes­hog1338309280.24721808 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

Common sense has left the building.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

dooBdoo1338309744.21716506 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 5/29/2012 Amphitrite said:

Ain't it the truth? Remember the safety measures people are cautioned to take when a wedding or funeral have been publicly announced.... that they need to be sure they have security at their homes during the events, since thieves check newspapers and online news sites for this information? Or the dangers of flashing cash in public?

There's a reason people should learn about the simple steps of privacy/security before they open their Facebook account. I still shake my head at those who announce they will be out of town and the dates they'll be gone. Even among your actual friends and family, you just can't be sure who might share the information {#emotions_dlg.sad}

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

Domestic G­oddess1338310793.517308 PostsRegistered 4/25/2007

Does that really shock anyone? Why would you brag about something like that on a site seen by God knows who!.

It's just as bad as telling people on Facebook that you are away on vacation, to where and how long you will be gone. (I have seen my friends actually do that). Can anyone say.... come on over a rob my house, I'm not there!

Here's yer sign! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Shorty2U1338311069.9914812 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

This is pretty much common sense, not to post anything too personal on FB because it lists your name and location. I see people all the time posting when theyre going on vacation too. There was a story of a couple on the news last year who posted they were going out for the evening and they were robbed (by one of their old neighbors who was a facebook friend of the womans).They had cameras in the house, so they caught the perp. But the moral of the story; USE COMMON SENSE!

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Last edited on 5/29/2012

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

dooBdoo1338311193.73716506 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

Exactly what I was saying, Domestic Goddess. My insurance agent says they have a name for it: "Please Rob Me." {#emotions_dlg.sad}

He says in some cases it can nullify your insurance coverage after such a theft.

~★~ "You don't have to disrespect and insult others simply to hold your own ground. If you do, that shows how shaky your own position is.” ~Red Haircrow

pepes mom1338311545.1975289 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005SW PA

It bothers me when people say I'm going out at 7pm, or I'm going out of town for a week. Why not follow that post up with here are the directions to my house and I'll leave the door unlocked, too?

Agree common sense has gone out the window.

~ Pepe's Mom ~

I'm cool toned. Yellow foundations make me look jaundiced. That is NOT the look I am going for.

Lotus~1338312322.48335522 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
On 5/29/2012 pepes mom said:

It bothers me when people say I'm going out at 7pm, or I'm going out of town for a week. Why not follow that post up with here are the directions to my house and I'll leave the door unlocked, too?

Agree common sense has gone out the window.

I agree....my cousin's kid (who is on her own) is constantly posting about coming and going, when and where. She's 27 and very attractive.....it makes me very uneasy when I read some of her posts.

I decided to say something to my cousin (who is not on fb). My cousin was telling me about an upcoming trip that Sally (not her real name) was taking. I told her I already knew because I had read it on FB, but then added; Susan (not her real name) do you think it's a good idea that Sally is advertising on FB that she won't be at home, for safety reasons? Her curt response was; she's a grown woman and I don't tell her what to do. So now I just keep my mouth shut. If God forbid anything were to happen, I know that I did what I could to give her a head's up. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

edited to add...........saying hi to Pepe's mom......long time no see....nice to see you posting again.Smile

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Last edited on 5/29/2012

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

shesallthat1338312472.12710060 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005

my niece is one of those facebook lover's!! she used to have her page open for everyone to read it and i told my DH to tell his brother that she posts EVERYTHING for the world to see.

i could not believe my eyes sometimes! she would tell the world when they were going on vacay and how long they would be gone! he told his brother and they had been trying to get her to stop. i guess it finally sunk in after she became pregnant with her daughter and some girls that obviously knew him as intimately as she did would leave comments on her page about him.{#emotions_dlg.huh} now it is private but those 600+ "friends" can still view it of course.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

Topaz Gem1338312781.9915927 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

That is really scary. When posters on this BB cautioned others about what information they share, some thought it was ridiculous and paranoid to be so ultra-careful. It just goes to show that there are many silent observers to online activity that we don't know even know about. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

naturalfan1338313033.6374264 PostsRegistered 1/27/2009

I would never join Facebook but I wonder if I were in my 20's now, would I do it simply because everyone else is? My cousins keep asking me to join (they are all in the 40's and up) but I won't do it. I just don't get it.

We had a story here last year how someone posted about a party on Facebook and of course, tons of people showed up. A fight broke out and someone was stabbed and unfortunately, he died. Do people ever stop to think what they are doing?

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Last edited on 5/29/2012

JJsMom1338313639.5719893 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007

Very sad story. Her parents should have warned her about not posting this type of information on FB. I notice a lot of teens don't know how to use FB responsibly, and some adults.

dooBdoo1338313730.6816506 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA

[Facebook Fail] Girl’s Public Photo Results in Home Invasion Robbery

MAY 29, 2012

in INTERNET SAFETY & PRIVACY

A 17-year-old Australian girl has learned the hard way about the importance of properly securing your Facebook account and configuring your privacy settings appropriately.

She and her grandmother were counting some cash savings, and the teen took a picture of the stash. She then posted it to Facebook, and this is where things went downhill fast.

About eight hours later, two armed men entered the girl’s mother’s home – not even the place where the photo was taken. The mom told the robbers that the girl no longer lived there, but they searched the house and made off with a small amount of cash and other personal items. Thankfully, no one was injured.

This is an isolated and extreme case, but it does show the inherent dangers of posting public photos to Facebook. Parents and guardians should audit the Facebook accounts of their children and make sure everything is set properly.

Researchers last year discovered that even having Facebook items set to ‘Friend of Friends’ can potentially expose your account to 150,000 people!

We recommend that you set any sharing options to just friends and that you only friend people that you know personally. Don’t assume that a person is safe just because some of your friends have befriended them. Scammers are known to infiltrate groups just so they can gain trust and mine the data of everyone they can.

If you need help configuring your Facebook account and privacy options, then see our guide:

How to Lockdown Your Facebook Account For Maximum Privacy and Security

http://facecrooks.com/Internet-Safety-Privacy/facebook-fail-girls-public-photo-results-in-home-invasion-robbery.html

LipstickDi­va1338317738.76738210 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

And people laughed at me when I said I would never post photos on FB of my vacay while we are gone. I post them, if I post them, when I get home.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

glb6131338319715.79710975 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

What a stupid thing to do.

ROMARY1338320425.11316474 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

With all of the warnings, etc., I cannot figure out why moms let their young daughters post their photos, schools, after school activities, cities, neighborhoods, streets, etc. etc. I just cannot figure this out. It doesn't make any common sense to me.

Yellow Rose

ROMARY1338324200.72316474 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

Awhile ago (maybe weeks) a poster mentioned that her daughter's (I believe choir?) teacher FaceBooked her, giving choir? information, etc. She didn't see anything wrong with it. After thinking about it, why should a teacher FaceBook re: students' info, etc? Why not just directly email or call the parent with the info? Why put the info on a social network? Why broadcast info that can be seen by others? I really don't understand that. JMHO.

Yellow Rose

Maggie Nol­ia1338324736.1514669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 5/29/2012 Domestic Goddess said:

Does that really shock anyone? Why would you brag about something like that on a site seen by God knows who!.

It's just as bad as telling people on Facebook that you are away on vacation, to where and how long you will be gone. (I have seen my friends actually do that). Can anyone say.... come on over a rob my house, I'm not there!

Here's yer sign! LOL! Ain't that the truth?

Not only vacations, even those "At Blah, Blah, Blah Restaurant" instant posts. Probably there long enough for someone to break into her house.

Such stupidity makes me laugh. Very entertaining.

You can't fix stupid.

Who takes pictures of money anyway?!?!?!

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Last edited on 5/29/2012

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

dooBdoo1338339460.88316506 PostsRegistered 6/27/2010Beautiful Southeast USA
On 5/29/2012 ROMARY said:

With all of the warnings, etc., I cannot figure out why moms let their young daughters post their photos, schools, after school activities, cities, neighborhoods, streets, etc. etc. I just cannot figure this out. It doesn't make any common sense to me.

As said in Post #2, "Common sense has left the building." {#emotions_dlg.crying}

chumlee_1338340776.4935371 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008
On 5/29/2012 Amphitrite said:

so true!

No outfit is complete without copious amounts of horse slobber on it.

mdmc1338342067.261649 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast
On 5/29/2012 Maggie Nolia said:
On 5/29/2012 Domestic Goddess said:

Here's yer sign! LOL! Ain't that the truth?

Not only vacations, even those "At Blah, Blah, Blah Restaurant" instant posts. Probably there long enough for someone to break into her house.

Such stupidity makes me laugh. Very entertaining.

You can't fix stupid.

Who takes pictures of money anyway?!?!?!

Last edited on 5/29/2012
I agree with most of what has been said here but I would like to mention the girl who posted about grandmas money is 17. Not sure all pistons are fireing when you are that young. Just sayin'

Page 1 of 1