Designer Fashion Clearance
126 Members and 13533 Guests Online

Viewpoints

The Nearly 800 pound man, Robert, will be on Dr. Phil today (Friday, the 18th)

Started 1337350752.99 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1337784706.48 by oceantown

A man who weighs almost 800 pounds and made an online plea for Dr. Phil's help finally meets Dr. Phil and discusses his struggles with his weight.

I hope he can be helped. I have this set to record.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
BlueCollar­Babe1337350872.04310911 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007

That is so gross. I can't watch things like that. How does it happen? I understand people being overweight and even obese but when you hit 500 pounds, don't you say to yourself: Hey, time to cut back.?

VioletEyes1337351044.713180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Hi Oceantown. I just hope that Dr Phil isn't going to milk this for the sensationalist aspect of it.

Clearly, this individual needs to be in a hospital not on the Dr Phil show, who by the way last time I checked his credentials, he isn't a doctor and never renewed his license.

oceantown1337351169.9778727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, Flora,

It is not easy to watch. I want to see him helped. Maybe if he shares his story he can help others.

Topaz Gem1337351225.31315998 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

Remember, this man reached out to Dr. Phil, knowing full well that he would be put on the show. Dr. Phil has a right to put this guy's story on the air so that his viewers could learn from it. Most people that get that large do so with the help of an enabler. It's most always a family member that is afraid to say no, and they give him anything that he wants.

I really hope that Dr. Phil can help this man.

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

BlueCollar­Babe1337351376.8210911 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007
On 5/18/2012 oceantown said:

Hi, Flora,

It is not easy to watch. I want to see him helped. Maybe if he shares his story he can help others.

I wonder whatever happened to that 500 pound plus woman "Ruby" who had a TV show a few years ago. She lost quite a bit but seemed to hit some sort of psychological wall to do with being abused as a child and then sort of dropped out of sight. I do wish them all well.

oceantown1337351439.148727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, VioletEyes,

TV and drama seem to go hand in hand. But, I like to think that some good comes from this.

I don't know if he needs to be in a hospital or not. When a drug addict comes on the show and decides it is time to change their life, I believe they go directly to rehab.

I don't know if there is such a thing as rehab for someone who is so dangerously overweight, or if his family or friends or even himself can follow a plan for health. I hope so.

VioletEyes1337351520.62713180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009
On 5/18/2012 Topaz Gem said:

Remember, this man reached out to Dr. Phil, knowing full well that he would be put on the show. Dr. Phil has a right to put this guy's story on the air so that his viewers could learn from it. Most people that get that large do so with the help of an enabler. It's most always a family member that is afraid to say no, and they give him anything that he wants.

The only thing that will help someone 800 pounds is a medically supervised weight loss hospital stay in addition to intensive therapy. Dr Phil has often sensationalized his guests stories and I wonder what the statistics would be showing how often he has really helped anyone.

I still remember once he had some man who could barely be taken out of his home. He never did a follow up on this man and it seemed like he was just putting this man on for ratings. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

oceantown1337351597.0878727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Topaz Gem,

Yes he did. He made a plea to Dr. Phil on a you tube video.

VioletEyes1337351699.54313180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Hi, VioletEyes,

TV and drama seem to go hand in hand. But, I like to think that some good comes from this.

I don't know if he needs to be in a hospital or not. When a drug addict comes on the show and decides it is time to change their life, I believe they go directly to rehab.

I don't know if there is such a thing as rehab for someone who is so dangerously overweight, or if his family or friends or even himself can follow a plan for health. I hope so.

He needs to be in a hospital because the stress of even going on such a show could cause him to have cardiac arrest. When someone weighs 800 pounds they are in imminent danger of a stroke or heart attack. If Doctor Phil was really interested in helping this man, he would be interviewing him from a hospital, not having him on his talk show.

Topaz Gem1337351909.6415998 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire
On 5/18/2012 VioletEyes said:

The only thing that will help someone 800 pounds is a medically supervised weight loss hospital stay in addition to intensive therapy. Dr Phil has often sensationalized his guests stories and I wonder what the statistics would be showing how often he has really helped anyone.

I still remember once he had some man who could barely be taken out of his home. He never did a follow up on this man and it seemed like he was just putting this man on for ratings. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I don't feel that what Dr. Phil does is to 'sensationalize' their story. He has a show and that's why people contact him; to get on the show. Dr. Phil will most likely refer this guy to medical professionals that will help him. He doesn't usually take on someone like this by himself. He'll probably get a therapist for this guy as well as the best doctors in the weight loss field.

Dr. Phil has a behind-the-scenes panel of doctors from all walks of life to evaluate treatment options for people on his show that need medical help. Dr. Phil does not make those decisions by himself.

Last edited on 5/18/2012

Last edited on 5/18/2012

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

Rap21337351945.5813235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

I missed most of the show because I got up too late. I believe I've seen this guy before on another program (they showed a picture of him on Dr. Phil at the end).

His mother needs counseling more than he does. She is his enabler and the one who feeds him the fattening food.

oceantown1337352355.6838727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/18/2012 FloraDora said:

Hi, Flora,

I wonder whatever happened to that 500 pound plus woman "Ruby" who had a TV show a few years ago. She lost quite a bit but seemed to hit some sort of psychological wall to do with being abused as a child and then sort of dropped out of sight. I do wish them all well.

I never knew about Ruby. After doing a search right now, it seems she is doing good, according to a post I found on her facebook page that linked to an InTouch article dated 2-6-12.

onlyhappy11337352362.182813 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011

Hopefully he can get help, be placed in a facility to help him lose the weight.

Dream it, do it!
AKA: happy2write4you, Est 10/21/2007
The original, one and only!

oceantown1337353181.6538727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, VioletEyes,

He needs to be in a hospital because the stress of even going on such a show could cause him to have cardiac arrest. When someone weighs 800 pounds they are in imminent danger of a stroke or heart attack. If Doctor Phil was really interested in helping this man, he would be interviewing him from a hospital, not having him on his talk show.

I am sure Dr. Phil & his staff know the seriousness of his condition. And the seriousness of transporting him.

A hospital may not be the best place for him, as I am not convinced that he should have hospital food. Yuck. Not that all hospitals have bad food, and maybe things have improved over the years. But, my idea of a healthy diet is even different than most doctors or nutritionists probably recommend, and it is certainly different than the old pyramid that used to be the healthy goal, and even different than the 'myplate' that we are told is the healthy way to eat.

Also, I don't know if a hospital would take him in. Hospitals are not for long term treatment, and I have never heard of someone being admitted to a hospital because they were overweight.

I hope Dr. Phil can help him. There are drug rehabs, but I have never heard of the same type of facility for someone who is so overweight. It seems to me there is a need for a rehab and medical facility for someone in Robert's condition.

VioletEyes1337353798.2713180 PostsRegistered 2/11/2009

Hi, VioletEyes,

I am sure Dr. Phil & his staff know the seriousness of his condition. And the seriousness of transporting him.

A hospital may not be the best place for him, as I am not convinced that he should have hospital food. Yuck. Not that all hospitals have bad food, and maybe things have improved over the years. But, my idea of a healthy diet is even different than most doctors or nutritionists probably recommend, and it is certainly different than the old pyramid that used to be the healthy goal, and even different than the 'myplate' that we are told is the healthy way to eat.

Also, I don't know if a hospital would take him in. Hospitals are not for long term treatment, and I have never heard of someone being admitted to a hospital because they were overweight.

I hope Dr. Phil can help him. There are drug rehabs, but I have never heard of the same type of facility for someone who is so overweight. It seems to me there is a need for a rehab and medical facility for someone in Robert's condition.

Hi Oceantown.Smile

There are a few hospitals that have long term programs for the morbidly obese with counseling and supervised healthy diets incorporated in the patient's best interest. This isn't about eating hospital food rather the correct nutrients based on blood work and other studies on each individual. Someone 800 pounds is probably suffering from malnutrition in addition to various other medical conditions....such as elevated blood glucose levels and hypertension. This is someone who needs to be in a hospital, not a talk show. JMO

Missey11337353859.873174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA

Hi, VioletEyes,

There is/are places for overweight people to go to. I watched a program, can't remember the name where grossly overweight people went. They stayed there and of course the facility was equipped for people of that size. I do not know what state it was in though.

Rap21337354031.33313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006
On 5/18/2012 Missey1 said:

Hi, VioletEyes,

There is/are places for overweight people to go to. I watched a program, can't remember the name where grossly overweight people went. They stayed there and of course the facility was equipped for people of that size. I do not know what state it was in though.

There is a place called Wellspring in the mountains of North Carolina. Dr. Phil has sent other obese people there.

oceantown1337356563.598727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, Rapunzel,

I looked at the wellspring website, and it looks like they have weight loss camps and residential treatment programs, but not sure this is what Dr. Phil will recommend for Robert. I did not get the impression from the website that their program was suited for someone who is as heavy as Robert.

Rap21337356835.3313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Hi, Rapunzel,

I looked at the wellspring website, and it looks like they have weight loss camps and residential treatment programs, but not sure this is what Dr. Phil will recommend for Robert. I did not get the impression from the website that their program was suited for someone who is as heavy as Robert.

Hi O/T!

I remember Dr. Phil sending a young woman to Wellspeing a couple of years ago. I believe she was somewhere around 600 pounds. I don't normally watch his program on a regular basis so I don't know what happened to her.

As for Ruby, the last I remember she was going on the 12 step program.

oceantown1337356891.978727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Hi, VioletEyes,

Hi Oceantown.Smile

There are a few hospitals that have long term programs for the morbidly obese with counseling and supervised healthy diets incorporated in the patient's best interest. This isn't about eating hospital food rather the correct nutrients based on blood work and other studies on each individual. Someone 800 pounds is probably suffering from malnutrition in addition to various other medical conditions....such as elevated blood glucose levels and hypertension. This is someone who needs to be in a hospital, not a talk show. JMO

I hope there is a good place that will help Robert.

I know this is not about hospital food, but I still get frustrated when the people who should know and share the right info about nutrition fall so short. How many hospitals serve food that is the best for health, and how many doctors even know or follow for themselves the best food plan for health.

Have you seen Anthony D'Amato? He lost over 200 lbs! Very inspiring story.

oceantown1337357203.168727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Thanks for the replies, onlyhappy and Missey!

I will be interested to see what treatment is recommended. It looked like he really wanted Dr. Phil's help from the video clip I watched.

Rap21337357313.57313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Hospitals have nutritionists and dietitions on staff to plan special meals. Anyway, hospital food would be better than what he has been getting. Someone has been feeding him these high cal meals and, without seeing the program, I suspect it is Mama.

SweetWood ­Max1337357495.02712234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

This is heartwrenching to say the least but one must wonder how he's gettting this food? He certainly isn't getting up and preparing it himself. Overbearing mother? I saw another show with similar circumstances and the mother was always feeding the kid, or shall I say adult man. Why do they do this?

Also known as Maxs-Grandma!

Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color

oceantown1337357733.7278727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/18/2012 Rapunzel2 said:

Hospitals have nutritionists and dietitions on staff to plan special meals. Anyway, hospital food would be better than what he has been getting. Someone has been feeding him these high cal meals and, without seeing the program, I suspect it is Mama.

I know there are special needs, but everyone needs healthy food. It would not be hard to just serve healthy food. It is not just counting calories. I am pretty sure he is not overeating plain grilled chicken and broccoli and cabbage.

I would imagine that most overweight people have food cravings (I know I did) and just speaking for myself, I never craved a serving of steamed broccoli. I craved sweets and simple carbs.

It takes a while to get past those cravings, but after that comes freedom and health.

oceantown1337357916.578727 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 5/18/2012 SweetWood Max said:

This is heartwrenching to say the least but one must wonder how he's gettting this food? He certainly isn't getting up and preparing it himself. Overbearing mother? I saw another show with similar circumstances and the mother was always feeding the kid, or shall I say adult man. Why do they do this?

I have no idea, SweetWood. Very sad.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next