Respected Contributor

Don't want to hurt my Mom's feelings, but............

This is a minor problem, but I need a tactful solution.

We are going on a trip and I told mom I was going to buy new luggage. My last set went into the trash after we got home. It was wore out. Mom said, don't go buy new luggage because we have like new Samsonite that we never use and you can have it. If we need it, we'll borrow it back. I explained I didn't want to be responsible if the airlines damaged it and she said she totally would understand.

Perfect, huh? Well today she brought me these old yucky suitcases because stepdad couldn't find the good ones. He will continue to look. In the meantime, the two she brought me are in the car stinking it up. They smell soooo bad from cigarette smoke. I wouldn't dream of putting my stuff in them.

I did NOT think about them smelling of very strong cigarette smoke. I text her and told her these would be fine and to have stepdad to quit looking for the other set. I didn't want him to continue to look when I have no intentions of using them if he finds them.

She told me to just store the suitcases at my house and she'll borrow them if they need them. They don't have extra storage space to spare and she knows we do.

I'm going to go buy new suitcases to use on our trip. How can I get her to take these stinky ones back. I don't want to store them in my house. My car stinks bad just from having them in there for 15 minutes.

I don't want to be rude.