Back to School
88 Members and 11153 Guests Online

Viewpoints

cyber bullying vs freedom of speech

Started 1334010060.207 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1334082150.54 by Isabella 2

Members of the Arizona House and Senate will review a recently passed anti-cyberstalking bill after critics raised concerns that it's so broad it could authorize arrests for online "trolls" who write mean comments on social media and news sites.

State Rep. Chad Campbell, a co-sponsor of the bill, told Yahoo News that lawmakers are trying "to address the constitutional concerns" raised by First Amendment advocates and are looking at making some changes. "This bill was only intended to go after people who are engaging in digital stalking, nothing more. If it can't be fixed to address the constitutional concerns then I will be voting no on it," he wrote in an email.

In March, Arizona politicians overwhelmingly voted to update an old statute that prohibited harassment and stalking by telephone to also include Internet communications, in an effort to combat cyberbullying. The new statute says it's illegal for anyone to use profane or lewd language on an electronic device with the intent to "terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend." The statute also makes it a crime for someone to infringe upon the "peace, quiet or right of privacy of any person" by "repeated anonymous electronic or digital communications."

One of the key problems with the statute, according to legal experts, is that the law is not limited to one-to-one communications, such as emails, Facebook messages or texts. That means someone's offensive tweets, comments or any other publicly available online words could fall under the law

"Id explain it to you but i'm all out of puppets and crayons"
Formerly known as Cheron A. Nique

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
violann1334012386.32712082 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
Years ago people had individual units responsible for helping children develop self control. They were called parents.

minkbunny1334012489.37326054 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

Sad but true violann.

The problem today is that the parents are usually the ones doing most of the cyber bullying. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

Isabella 21334013974.1274075 PostsRegistered 4/30/2007
On 4/9/2012 violann said: Years ago people had individual units responsible for helping children develop self control. They were called parents.

Oh, the absurdity of the thought. Utter nonsense.

I think the schools are expected to raise the kids, aren't they?

Why do they bite the hand of those who feed them?

traveler1334014045.33311177 PostsRegistered 12/14/2004Alaska

I thought this was about the cyber bullys here.

croemer1334014142.62373494 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009
On 4/9/2012 Prettypansy said:
On 4/9/2012 violann said: Years ago people had individual units responsible for helping children develop self control. They were called parents.

Oh, the absurdity of the thought. Utter nonsense.

I think the schools are expected to raise the kids, aren't they?

Seems so doesn't it?

"Normal is just a setting on the dryer."

Isabella 21334014165.3274075 PostsRegistered 4/30/2007
On 4/9/2012 traveler said:

No bullies here (*are there?)

croemer1334014206.37773494 PostsRegistered 1/29/2009
On 4/9/2012 Prettypansy said:
On 4/9/2012 traveler said:

No bullies here (*are there?)

Nah

"Normal is just a setting on the dryer."

SugarNSpice1334014619.2074836 PostsRegistered 2/1/2007CA

Too many parents are self-centered jerks. Personal responsibility is taboo or a 4 letter word. And parents think little Mary or Jack are so cute... saying boys will be boys or girls will be girls. Until the one being bullied had enough and blows Mary and Jack away at school (this kids parents were missing in action as well). The parents should have taken control in the first place. Instead it's all about them.

"The reason Wakan Tanka does not make two birds, or animals, or human beings exactly alike is because each is placed here by WakanTanka to be an independent individuality and to rely upon itself. - Shooter Teton Sioux"

Isabella 21334015141.814075 PostsRegistered 4/30/2007
On 4/9/2012 SugarNSpice said:

Too many parents are self-centered jerks.

Sugar, you are getting yourself into deep doo saying that here. There are NO jerky self centered parents on this BB. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Rap21334016318.76313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006
On 4/9/2012 minkbunny said:

Sad but true violann.

The problem today is that the parents are usually the ones doing most of the cyber bullying. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

What my little precious baby (read spoiled brat)? They wouldn't bully anyone. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

MaggieToo1334016811.6938061 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004AZ

"Me" generation

the generation, originally in the 1970s, characterized by self-absorption; in the 1980s, characterized by material greed

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

doxiemom 41334016963.5327472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL

Too many parents are self-centered jerks. Personal responsibility is taboo or a 4 letter word. And parents think little Mary or Jack are so cute... saying boys will be boys or girls will be girls. Until the one being bullied had enough and blows Mary and Jack away at school (this kids parents were missing in action as well). The parents should have taken control in the first place. Instead it's all about them.

Sugar, In many ways your post is true. If you see a mean, rotten and nasty child, most likely the parents are the same.

Yes many say not my child.

Sadly, these kids learn a lot from home.

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

suzyQ31334018516.86724181 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

Putting aside all the parent bashing and rose-colored glasses about how things were in the past, I do share the concern about such laws. I think they are well-intended but could have unintended adverse consequences.

I don't know where the line should be drawn, but I tend to favor free speech when push comes to shove.

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

Rap21334018741.0613235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006
On 4/9/2012 doxiemom 4 said:

Sugar, In many ways your post is true. If you see a mean, rotten and nasty child, most likely the parents are the same.

Yes many say not my child.

Sadly, these kids learn a lot from home.

Therefore, the parent wouldn't see it in the child. They see "normal" behavior.

minkbunny1334019617.3626054 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

Sadly, in many of the famous stalking on line cases that made the news, the parents were heavily involved. Either actually pretending to be their child online and harassing people or encouraging their child to do so. And we all remember the cheerleder mom who tried to have her daughter's rival killed {#emotions_dlg.crying} Can you imagine had she had Facebook back then to aid her?

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale”-anonymous

dotheright­thing1334020807.2331549 PostsRegistered 7/16/2007

Yes, sad, but true. Now, Moms don't want to stay home and raise their children. Dads are also non existent. Their "careers" are much more important....

suzyQ31334022673.7924181 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 4/9/2012 dotherightthing said:

Yes, sad, but true. Now, Moms don't want to stay home and raise their children. Dads are also non existent. Their "careers" are much more important....

Plenty of women are able to be wonderful moms and have careers. And plenty of dads are very existent. Plenty of women choose to stay home and are wonderful mothers; some choose to do so and are not wonderful mothers. Plenty of single women are wonderful mothers; some are not. And so on and so on.

If what you're suggesting is a return to the women stays at home and the father carries the briefcase, I would suggest to you that it was hardly a panacea. "Father's Knows Best" was not reality. The actor himself battled alcoholism, and the actress stated that she could never imagine being a housewife. Just saying that this image of the '50s family is so heavily glossed that it bears no relationship to reality.

Today we have all sorts of families, no one of which is necessarily better than the other. Tolerance and adaptation trump judgmental harshness.

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

Rap21334023515.88313235 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006
On 4/9/2012 suzyQ3 said:

Plenty of women are able to be wonderful moms and have careers. And plenty of dads are very existent. Plenty of women choose to stay home and are wonderful mothers; some choose to do so and are not wonderful mothers. Plenty of single women are wonderful mothers; some are not. And so on and so on.

If what you're suggesting is a return to the women stays at home and the father carries the briefcase, I would suggest to you that it was hardly a panacea. "Father's Knows Best" was not reality. The actor himself battled alcoholism, and the actress stated that she could never imagine being a housewife. Just saying that this image of the '50s family is so heavily glossed that it bears no relationship to reality.

Today we have all sorts of families, no one of which is necessarily better than the other.

Are today's families an improvement over the 50's? I doubt it. I grew up in the 50's and my mother was at home. She provided home cooked meals and helped with our homework. I was not a latchkey kid.

tansy1334023751.12325762 PostsRegistered 4/19/2005
And I heartily wish my mother had a focus other than me-/. I am so thankful to have been born when I was. The 50s were far from perfect.

suzyQ31334023830.9824181 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 4/9/2012 Rapunzel2 said:
On 4/9/2012 suzyQ3 said:

Today we have all sorts of families, no one of which is necessarily better than the other.

Are today's families an improvement over the 50's? I doubt it. I grew up in the 50's and my mother was at home. She provided home cooked meals and helped with our homework. I was not a latchkey kid.

At the risk of TMI, which I despise, I, too, was a child of the 50s, and I, too, had a mother who was at home. She provided home cooked meals. I was not a latchkey kid.

She was miserable, frustrated, depressed and took it out on us. She was the poster child for the idea that a woman should have more in her life at some point. She was so pigeon-holed into a role that she actually tried to dissuade me from attending college -- saying that it was useless for a woman.

Fortunately, I had other, wiser influences in my life.

So no, I don't think the 50s was better than today, not just because of my experience but because of the whole culture of suppression and demarcation between groups of people. We live in a messier time, that's for sure, and I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

MyGirlsMom1334023875.56333422 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008
On 4/9/2012 suzyQ3 said:

This is the 21st century and there are MILLIONS of children who get home cooked meals and have loving and caring parents who are home and take care of them.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in your life you will have been all of these."

doxiemom 41334024047.16327472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL
On 4/9/2012 MyGirlsMom said:
On 4/9/2012 suzyQ3 said:

This is the 21st century and there are MILLIONS of children who get home cooked meals and have loving and caring parents who are home and take care of them.

Yep, this is true.

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

MyGirlsMom1334024140.03333422 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008

Rapunzel, I'm waiting for an apology from you on the Dugger thread...you assigned a quote to me which I did not make.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in your life you will have been all of these."

speedyindi­sguise1334024544.198733 PostsRegistered 3/30/2009Atlanta, GA
On 4/9/2012 MyGirlsMom said:

Rapunzel, I'm waiting for an apology from you on the Dugger thread...you assigned a quote to me which I did not make.

This isn't the Duggar thread. Please stay on topic.

Your BELIEFS don’t make you a better person, your BEHAVIOR does.

Sister Gol­den Hair1334024733.0514257 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

When I grew up, I was born in the 50's, everyone picked on each other. But it was all in fun and we would just pick back. Now days it is a serious situation with sometimes a tragic end. Our parents taught us to fight our own battles but as another poster said, the parents help the kids fight these battles.

I always taught our sons peace and to walk away. But when a kid kept picking on our son and came home with bruises on his back, I told him if he did it again, he had permission to hit him. I would come to school and take care of it. The next day the boy started and our son told him that his Mother gave him permission to smack him. The boy walked away and never bothered him again.

I just wish children could talk to their parents before things get really bad.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next