Better Than Black Friday
142 Members and 15566 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Funny story about being weighed at doctor visit

Started 1267772825 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1268449986.887 by pearllady
You know that dreaded moment, when you are still so glad your wait is over and then the medical assistant points right to the scale and your face falls?
Today that happened, and I weighed about 7 pounds more than I was counting on (PMS). I was really depressed until she measured my height with my heels on and gave me credit for being almost 6 feet tall! I had to laugh at how I escaped that bad morning. Suddenly I walked a little taller and a lot better proportioned. ;)

Page 1 of 2
Marienkaef­er212677729378694 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands
I never look at the scale while being weighed, and the nurse at my doctor's knows not to tell me out loud! :-D
So I totally get how you felt.
--
Three little birds sat on my window
And they told me I don't need to worry.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. -- George Carlin

DreamWeaver126777330911098 PostsRegistered 2/28/2008
I hate that they weigh me fully clothed.
That's Crazy!
--
Proudly posting the Word of the Day since 6-4-08 and the "Bonus" Word of the Day since 1-23-10 :)

Word of the Day
6/4/08-11/3/2011

Baby Huey 112677733393510 PostsRegistered 12/18/2007
ClosetQVC,
I always take my shoes off telling the nurse my shoes are heavy.
She always chuckles just to humor me.

happy2writ­e4u12677742204608 PostsRegistered 10/21/2007
Ya see the 7lbs of water weight along with the credit of being 6 feet tall, evens out or actually you are probably underweight.lol
I never get credit for heels, and when I did pms I would gain anywhere from 5-10 lbs of water weight. Do you think at those times any nurse would get me on a scale. Nope, didn't happen.

Kindness and Peace are Priceless!
RIP Joan & Robin
The one ,only, original happy is back.

oceantown12678261088806 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Seriously... she did not have you remove your shoes?
I know your post should probably be taken as light-hearted & funny, but really the height measurement is very important. Weight is important too, of course. Doctors want to see any changes in our health.
I am always asked to remove my shoes (even flats) and weight and height are recorded. The height measurement is important because there may be height loss as our bones age, and there can be changes in the bones, muscles and joints.

BootLvr1267827173838 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I don't remember ever having a doctor measure my height. My weight, sure, but never my height.
I also weigh myself each morning, so there are no surprises at the doctor's, except for the fact that I'm dressed.

santorini12678283777170 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007
I was told they passed a law that shoes canNOT be removed. I griped about it for my last couple of visits, but they wouldn't budge. I guess they're worried about germs?? Now I just remember to wear my lightest shoes.

FLBB12678284967252 PostsRegistered 5/23/2008
I think we all should make the nurse get on the scale to be weighed after she weighs us. And then we can tsk, tsk, tsk, when she sees how much weight she's put on.

One word - chocolate

RedConvert­ibleGirl126782874414429 PostsRegistered 9/3/2005Pacific NW
Doesn't bother me to get weighed. I mean, it's not like it's a secret - I already know what I weigh so I just deal with it.
Years ago I was getting weighed. And the nurse said, "Oh, your weight is perfect.!" then there was a bit of a pause and she said, "Um, I was reading the chart for men." LOL Hey, I already knew I was overweight so no surprise there. :^O
--
Animals are the greatest joy!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

When we shoulder the mantle of compassion no cry goes unheard and no wound goes unhealed. In this world of seemingly endless suffering we have to believe that no one is beyond hope of rescue. Scotlund Haisley, Animal Rescue Corps

snocool12678289722542 PostsRegistered 12/25/2004
My Dr. never have me take my shoes off...well the nurses I should say, but they always subtract 2 lbs. for shoes and clothes before they log it in the computer!!

geraldine1267829168508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> I don't remember ever having a doctor measure my
> height. My weight, sure, but never my height.
>
> I also weigh myself each morning, so there are no
> surprises at the doctor's, except for the fact that
> I'm dressed.
My doctor always measures my height. He says that way he can tell if I am getting "shorter" due to osteoporosis

redwingsgal1267829320952 PostsRegistered 6/11/2009MI now in OK
i manage a surgeons office and we know that all weights are taken with shoes on and so do the docs. BTW i take all of my jewelry off before they call me back!!!

kiddo126782958310263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
> I hate that they weigh me fully clothed.
> That's Crazy!
>
> --
> Proudly posting the Word of the Day since 6-4-08 and
> the "Bonus" Word of the Day since 1-23-10 :)
I'm glad that they weigh me fully clothed.
After all, the scale is located straight at the end of the hall ... where the other end of that hall is the door that opens to the waiting room.
:O
--
Edited by scribo at 03/05/2010 1:54 PM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

oceantown12678296718806 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> I was told they passed a law that shoes canNOT be
> removed. I griped about it for my last couple of
> visits, but they wouldn't budge. I guess they're
> worried about germs?? Now I just remember to wear my
> lightest shoes.
If you don't take your shoes off, the height is not accurate.
I always have on tennis shoes, so when I take them off I have my socks.
If they want more protection from germs they could very easily put a protector (paper) on the scale. I mean, similar to the toilet seat covers, or the paper that is on the patient's bench in the examining room.

Hooty126783030619401 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~War Eagle Country~
I hate that dreaded moment, I get to do it in about 10 days!:-(

casu1267831539138 PostsRegistered 7/5/2009
I always remember to exhale.

santorini12678317887170 PostsRegistered 1/26/2007
>
> I always have on tennis shoes, so when I take them
> off I have my socks.
>
> If they want more protection from germs they could
> very easily put a protector (paper) on the scale. I
> mean, similar to the toilet seat covers, or the paper
> that is on the patient's bench in the examining room.
Trust me . . . I brought up all those issues and they didn't budge. I don't understand it at all. Shoes are heavy and I don't necessarily want those extra pounds on my chart!:^O

SharonKay12678321433795 PostsRegistered 3/16/2008Ohio
> >
> > I always have on tennis shoes, so when I take
> them
> > off I have my socks.
> >
> > If they want more protection from germs they
> could
> > very easily put a protector (paper) on the
> scale. I
> > mean, similar to the toilet seat covers, or the
> paper
> > that is on the patient's bench in the examining
> room.
> Trust me . . . I brought up all those issues and they
> didn't budge. I don't understand it at all. Shoes
> are heavy and I don't necessarily want those extra
> pounds on my chart!:^O
I was also told there is a law against taking off your shoes to get weighed. In fact there is a BIG sign right by the scale stating as much. Maybe it is a state law and some states have not passed it yet.

Get rich quick - count your blessings

kiddo126783215910263 PostsRegistered 12/6/2006
> >
> > I always have on tennis shoes, so when I take
> them
> > off I have my socks.
> >
> > If they want more protection from germs they
> could
> > very easily put a protector (paper) on the
> scale. I
> > mean, similar to the toilet seat covers, or the
> paper
> > that is on the patient's bench in the examining
> room.
>
> Trust me . . . I brought up all those issues and they
> didn't budge. I don't understand it at all. Shoes
> are heavy and I don't necessarily want those extra
> pounds on my chart!:^O
I wonder if you could have them weigh just your shoes... both of them... by themselves. This way, you'll be able to realize that shoes don't weigh very much. Maybe a pound. Maybe a little more.
Or... you can bring the shoes that you would be wearing to your office visit ... bring those shoes wrapped in a plastic bag for sanitary purposes... and weigh them in the weighing basket in the product department?
--
Edited by scribo at 03/05/2010 2:37 PM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

Be kind; Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
----
Invite Jesus to POSSESS your heart. (And your mind, your thoughts, your actions, your words, your dreams, your plans.)

BlueCollar­Babe126783225711003 PostsRegistered 9/26/2007
> I was told they passed a law that shoes canNOT be
> removed. I griped about it for my last couple of
> visits, but they wouldn't budge. I guess they're
> worried about germs?? Now I just remember to wear my
> lightest shoes.
I always remove my shoes to be weighed at the doctor's office. There's no law here like that. It doesn't make sense that it would be about germs as there is nothing filthier than the bottoms of your shoes having come in from the street.
--
"A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs -- jolted by every pebble in the road." Henry Ward Beecher

sfnative12678361665765 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Portland, OR
Whenever I go to my internist, I know I'll always weight 5 lbs. more than on my scale at home. But if I go to my Gyn, I weigh the same.
Re measuring height, I agree with other posters. It's so important to do that. I hadn't had my height measured for years until we moved back to California, at which time my new internist's MA measured me and I had shrunk a whole 1.75 inches. Seems I got those lousy osteo genes from my Dad's side of the family. That led to a bone scane which then lead to taking lots of calcium and magnesium and prescription Vit D.

San Francisco Giants
2014 World Series Champs!

oceantown12678364418806 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
sfnative,
I agree, measuring and recording our height is very important. I can't believe many doctors don't do it, and I also can't believe that some have to wear their shoes when measuring height... the measurement will not be accurate.
This is our health we are talking about.

merlin931267836672429 PostsRegistered 11/24/2008NJ at the shore
As a lifetime weight watcher I weigh in on the last Wednesday of the month.
I always schedule my annual visit on the day before weigh-in because i know I will be more on "program" then at any other time.
I get weighed in my paper wrap, sans clothing, shoes, etc.

GoodStuff126783717815468 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
You'd be amazed at how many times a day medical assistants (I am one) hear the same nervous lines about weighing in, or how jaded we become with the whole experience. I've had patients try to lose a few pounds by holding onto the wall while they're on the scale, leaning to one side to alter the digital readout, weigh with their backs turned to the scale so they can't see the bad news, take off jewelry before stepping on the scale......once (this is true) I stepped away to answer an urgent phone call and then returned to the scale area to find my patient missing. Finally located him in an exam room, where he had stripped down to his skivvies. I guess he lost a few ounces......

only shops­ online12678384475623 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006
> I always remember to exhale.
:^O
And, never drink a large glass of water before you leave home. That will easily add 2 pounds to the scale. I've even tested it at home. I try to arrive at the doctor's office dressed lightly, no jewelry, and partially dehydrated. :-p

Page 1 of 2