WEN by Chaz Dean
90 Members and 11443 Guests Online

Viewpoints

School question about reward for perfect attendance

Started 1267768651 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1268172403.21 by BlondeBrooke
Am I missing something or is this really annoying?
My childrens' grade school announced last week the "awards" for the kids with perfect attendance, and the fact that these kids would be called from their classes in the afternoon for an ice cream party. This is for kids without any sick days so far since September.
There were two kids in one of my daughter's classes who were "awarded" this distinction, and they are the two kids I know whose parents send them to school no matter how sick they are. I believe they are the reason for some of my childrens' illnesses. My children have each had a couple of sick days this year, mostly because even though we are obsessive about hand-washing at home, these highly prized awarded kids have coughed and sneezed on my kids all year long. The mother of one of the kids who got the award told me the day before the ice cream party that even though her daughter was really sick, she couldn't stay home because it would ruin her record and cause her to lose the party invitation. I'm not kidding. About one week later (now) my daughter has a nasty cold and had to miss school today. And I had to miss work.
Is it fair to penalize a child for being sick and for having the consideration to stay home and not infect others?, Is it sending mixed messages to the parents of the kids who send the kids to school no matter how sick they are?
Sorry for venting but I just can't see how this is right. Can anybody enlighten me?

Page 1 of 5
Disneyland­fan12677689963409 PostsRegistered 10/18/2008Southern California
I really am not a fan of this reward. I influenced my school to do away with it since many children came to school ill in order to be eligible to receive the reward.

Jgirl12677690032804 PostsRegistered 2/16/2008
No one was "penalized" or being sick.
The other children were rewarded for behavior that the school wants.
It is just how you look at it.
And remember that the school gets paid for each day thta each child is there. They WANT kids in school.

occasional­ rain126777051416757 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007
I have to agree with the OP. Is it any wonder our schools are failing when those in charge reward the spread of disease?
If it's the cash per child they're after, then they are truly short sighted; one sick child in school today, ten out for a week in the near future.

closetQVCg­irl12677707791280 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
Actually, I believe they were penalized for being sick. The kindergarteners were almost in tears when they heard they weren't invited to the party. My first grader was very upset and hurt by it. To me, this is being penalized.
I understand that the school gets money for attendance, but how many sick days (in other words, how many other kids being sick and staying home) does that one sick kid showing up cause? To me it seems that when you consider how many kids one person can infect, it's not cost-effective to encourage them to come to school sick.
I do understand why this might work for middle school or high school, when kids have some say about whether they call in sick or not. And they are old enough to know that good attendance is important -- which is a valuable lesson. I just think it's lost on little children.

Marienkaef­er212677708027897 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands
I remember when I was a kid that at the end of the year there were a few kids who would get a certificate for perfect attendance at the end-of-the-year assembly.
It probably was to acknowledge their attendance and maybe give kids some sense of the importance of taking school seriously.
But it didn't impress me or my friends much from what I can remember. We were more impressed by getting recognition for projects or other things that we had done or accomplished.
I think an ice cream party is a bit excessive, but at the same time, if you are concerned for your child's feelings, I think that your reaction and support of your child matters more to him/her.
If you don't make a big deal out of it and just continue to teach your child to do his/her best, that's all that matters.
Anyone can have ice cream! :)
But where will those ice cream eaters be 20 years from now? ;)
--
Three little birds sat on my window
And they told me I don't need to worry.
--
Edited by PinkMartini at 03/04/2010 9:36 PM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

Discouragement is a temporary thing. You just saddle up and get back in the fight. --James Brady

Dell12677709182294 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006Northern California
closetQVCgirl, Years ago there was a lady who worked in the same office I did. Another co-worker would cough. Then a few days later if she got sick she would blame it on the lady who coughed.
We can never be sure of how we get sick or where the germs came from. In a school with young children, they are around many other children more than their classmates. Like at lunch time, recess, etc. I know this must be very frustrating for you but we really don't know who we got the germs from to make us sick.
Just my take on it.
Dell

PurpleBunny126777095139232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
Children aren't being penalized. Just some children are being rewarded. And there is nothing wrong with children being rewarded - it happens all the time.
Neither of my kids has missed a day and my DD feels she is being 'jipped' watching her friends stay home with a tummy ache, or leave early for a ski vacation, or take a Friday off because it's raining. In fact, she's been picked on for not missing a day. Such a treat as an ice cream party would be perfect and well deserved.
ETA - NOT ALL kids that haven't missed a day are going to school sick. MINE haven't been sick ONCE.

(__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

♣ Erin Go Bunny! ♣

--
Edited by PurpleBunny at 03/04/2010 9:41 PM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

RubyinNE12677709547396 PostsRegistered 8/16/2009Nebraska
Hi Closet,
As a teacher, I completely understand how you feel. If your children are sick, keep them home. I think there was one month in November where we just passed around colds. You would think that with all the years I've been teaching, I would build up some sort of immunity, but I became ill too. The perfect attendance award is highly overrated.
--
Ruby

Ruby

Siennasky12677712772693 PostsRegistered 10/20/2009
I am a teacher who is against "Perfect Attendance" awards. Bronchitis went through my classroom three times last year. It was awful. I send sick kids home.

atlantapea­ch1267771488464 PostsRegistered 2/2/2007
Sick kids are sent to school because it's more convenient for the parents. ( No different than the work place. One sick coworker makes the whole office sick.) Parents are more concerned with scurrying their own kids off to school everyday so they can continue their daily lives than the well being of the other kids. These same parent are the same ones that will raise holey h-ll when their kids come home from school sick because some other parent sent a sick kid to school.
As for the ice cream party......Do the kids really need anymore sugar?

closetQVCg­irl12677719131280 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
> I remember when I was a kid that at the end of the
> year there were a few kids who would get a
> certificate for perfect attendance at the
> end-of-the-year assembly.
>
> It probably was to acknowledge their attendance and
> maybe give kids some sense of the importance of
> taking school seriously.
>
> But it didn't impress me or my friends much from what
> I can remember. We were more impressed by getting
> recognition for projects or other things that we had
> done or accomplished.
>
> I think an ice cream party is a bit excessive, but at
> the same time, if you are concerned for your child's
> feelings, I think that your reaction and support of
> your child matters more to him/her.
> If you don't make a big deal out of it and just
> continue to teach your child to do his/her best,
> that's all that matters.
>
> Anyone can have ice cream! :)
> But where will those ice cream eaters be 20 years
> from now? ;)
>
I liked your post -- very true. My kids get enough rewards and encouragement at home, it's true. And I laughed at your last comment. :)

closetQVCg­irl12677720221280 PostsRegistered 3/18/2009
> closetQVCgirl, Years ago there was a lady who worked
> in the same office I did. Another co-worker would
> cough. Then a few days later if she got sick she
> would blame it on the lady who coughed.
>
> We can never be sure of how we get sick or where the
> germs came from. In a school with young children,
> they are around many other children more than their
> classmates. Like at lunch time, recess, etc. I know
> this must be very frustrating for you but we really
> don't know who we got the germs from to make us
> sick.
>
> Just my take on it.
>
> Dell
Yes, I know. I was using that child as an example. She does happen to sit next to my daughter, though! :) What I really meant was that as a group those kids are spreading germs, but I know very well that we can pick things up anywhere.

Marienkaef­er212677723337897 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands
> > Anyone can have ice cream! :)
> > But where will those ice cream eaters be 20
> years
> > from now? ;)
> >
> I liked your post -- very true. My kids get enough
> rewards and encouragement at home, it's true. And I
> laughed at your last comment. :)
Exactly! :^O
--
Three little birds sat on my window
And they told me I don't need to worry.

Discouragement is a temporary thing. You just saddle up and get back in the fight. --James Brady

occasional­ rain126777356216757 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007
There is nothing wrong with rewards but getting one for just showing up is wrong any way you look at it.
Why doesn't the school give the party reward for all the students who handed their homework in on time and complete throughout the year? That's something the child can control, but to exclude someone because they were sick can't be right.

PurpleBunny126777397439232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
There is nothing wrong with rewards but getting one for just showing up is wrong any way you look at it.
Not the way "I" look at it. I think going to school even on the days when your friends are "playing" sick, or on the half days, or days that are throwaway "religious" holidays (which they aren't penalized for skipping) shows maturity and responsibility and that deserves a reward. It isn't fun to be 10 and be one of only a dozen out of 30 kids that shows up the half day before Thanksgiving or the half day before Christmas vacation. However, I am teaching my child that school is her 'job,' her responsibility. If she isn't sick, she goes to school.
--

(__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

♣ Erin Go Bunny! ♣

--
Edited by PurpleBunny at 03/04/2010 10:26 PM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

Carole221267774805505 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004
Believe me, as a retired elementary school secretary, I know where you're coming from......there's PLENTY of kids who got attendance certificates because their parents would have had to miss work in order to keep the children home sick....sometimes they send them and the kids end up spending the day in the nurse's office.....
And if the office staff worked on snow days, invariably a car would drop off a kid for the same reason even though schools were closed. And, of course, those parents were never able to be reached by phone.....
Schools don't get any extra money if they have good attendance. At least not in the state I worked. Why should that be?

dgluvr12677752025233 PostsRegistered 5/12/2008
I think the ones who have perfect attendance are lucky they didn't get sick or injured- and I also don't think they should give out awards for that luck! It's not like anyone has a choice if they are sick and sometimes those perfect attendance kids are the ones who are sent to school if they are ill anyways ( and then others whose immunes systems might not be as strong get whatever they have.. BAN THE AWARD. It's just not fair.

victoria g­irl12677820547681 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
> There is nothing wrong with rewards but getting
> one for just showing up is wrong any way you look at
> it.

>
>
> Not the way "I" look at it. I think going to school
> even on the days when your friends are "playing"
> sick, or on the half days, or days that are throwaway
> "religious" holidays (which they aren't penalized for
> skipping) shows maturity and responsibility and that
> deserves a reward. It isn't fun to be 10 and be one
> of only a dozen out of 30 kids that shows up the half
> day before Thanksgiving or the half day before
> Christmas vacation. However, I am teaching my child
> that school is her 'job,' her responsibility. If she
> isn't sick, she goes to school.
>
> --
>

> (__/)
> (='.'=)
> ("")("")

>

♣
> Erin Go Bunny! ♣

>
> --
> Edited by PurpleBunny at 03/04/2010 10:26 PM PST

Pink,
My children love to go to school because they love to learn... teaching them that this is a "job" or a "burden" to serve someone else defeats the purpose of what we want from our children. I want my children fully engaged in the learning process, and IF they don't feel well... they will not be engaged.. hence, when they are sick and not feeling well... I keep them at home. I have two small children, and they both do fantastic in school, and I am very proud of them. However, I want them to learn at an early age to know boundaries in their lives... and when they are sick, they need to know what they are feeling.
I am teaching my babies, know when to fish and cut bait. Boundaries are good, and I want my little one's to know that for themselves. :)
--
Edited by victoria girl at 03/05/2010 12:41 AM PST
--
Edited by victoria girl at 03/05/2010 12:47 AM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

trickyvic12677836493773 PostsRegistered 5/11/2007
my neice , who is now 34 years old, went to grade school in Louisville and the last Friday of the month the whole school got to see a movie in the assembly room with a soft drink and a bag of popcorn.
One day becky came home and told my sister that she got popcorn but only the kids with perfect attendance for the month got it so she shared hers with the kids that didn't have any.
The next month my sister went to school and checked Becky out when it was time for the movie. She told the principal that BEcky would no longer be attending school during the movie.
He asked why and she told him it was not right to penalize the kids that were sick and to shove it in their face by giving the other kids popcorn.... was in her opinion a sick thing to do.
He said he didn't understand my sister's upset because Becky had perfect attendance.
She wrote a letter to the board and later all kids got the popcorn...the perfect attendence was awardeed with a cert for a kids meal at a local fast food place and it was included with their report card

Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. ~

trickyvic12677841483773 PostsRegistered 5/11/2007
my nephew ...who is now 40..had prfect attendance the whole 12 years of school. The only recognizion her got was his name published in the local paper along with the honor roll listings.
At graduation he received a certificate at Class night.
No ice cream or popcorn included
--
Edited by trickyvic at 03/05/2010 1:16 AM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. ~

victoria g­irl12677845717681 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
lol, I already READ your posts. You can edit all you want. I think it is time you put me on ignore... I "seem" to REALLY get UNDER YOUR SKIN. Which amuses me... see ya, Hick

sandys1267798952157 PostsRegistered 7/8/2006Michigan
Wow....feeling like a bad mom now!
Both my daughters (13 and 15) have had perfect attendance every year since kindergarten. I am not looking for any party, certificate or award and because I am a SAHM, I am not in need of a baby sitter either. My view is that unless they have a fever....they go to school, period.

1Hoo12677993571262 PostsRegistered 7/20/2009
> I remember when I was a kid that at the end of the
> year there were a few kids who would get a
> certificate for perfect attendance at the
> end-of-the-year assembly.
>
> It probably was to acknowledge their attendance and
> maybe give kids some sense of the importance of
> taking school seriously.
>
> But it didn't impress me or my friends much from what
> I can remember. We were more impressed by getting
> recognition for projects or other things that we had
> done or accomplished.
>
> I think an ice cream party is a bit excessive, but at
> the same time, if you are concerned for your child's
> feelings, I think that your reaction and support of
> your child matters more to him/her.
> If you don't make a big deal out of it and just
> continue to teach your child to do his/her best,
> that's all that matters.
>
> Anyone can have ice cream! :)
> But where will those ice cream eaters be 20 years
> from now? ;)
>
> --
> Three little birds sat on my window
> And they told me I don't need to worry.
>
> --
> Edited by PinkMartini at 03/04/2010 9:36 PM PST
Well said. When I was in school at the end of every school year there was an awards ceremony. They had certificates for attendance, citizenship, honor roll , etc.
I think an ice cream party is way over the top.

PurpleBunny126779942639232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
Pink, My children love to go to school because they love to learn... teaching them that this is a "job" or a "burden" to serve someone else defeats the purpose of what we want from our children. I want my children fully engaged in the learning process, and IF they don't feel well... they will not be engaged.. hence, when they are sick and not feeling well... I keep them at home. I have two small children, and they both do fantastic in school, and I am very proud of them. However, I want them to learn at an early age to know boundaries in their lives... and when they are sick, they need to know what they are feeling. I am teaching my babies, know when to fish and cut bait. Boundaries are good, and I want my little one's to know that for themselves.
Ok, for the umpteeenth time, IF my kids were sick or not feeling well, they would stay home. But they aren't staying home because they didn't go to bed and are grumpy. I didn't say I teacher my child that school is a burden, but like it or not, it is HER job to get good grades and be responsible at school. It is also her job to have a good time and enjoy her friends,

And for the record, I am a SAHM so IF my children are sick, I have no problem keeping them home. And also, my chldrens school gives out no award, nothing for good attendance.
sandys, I completely agree. For some reason we are being made to feel like criminals for having healthy, responsible children. Typical around here.
--

(__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

♣ Erin Go Bunny! ♣

--
Edited by PurpleBunny at 03/05/2010 5:36 AM PST

Last edited on 3/5/2010

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

faeriemoon212677995526583 PostsRegistered 1/7/2009
More and more schools are doing away with the archaic Perfect Attendance award. IMO it only rewards parents for sending their sick kids to school.
--
The original faeriemoon.

"I'm not crazy; my mother had me tested." ~ Sheldon Cooper ~

Page 1 of 5