Better Than Black Friday
78 Members and 14906 Guests Online

Viewpoints

can you wear contacts if you wear bifocals?

Started 1267158471 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1267304957 by biancardi
I hate wearing my bi focals.
I feel like they add 10 years to my face.
I did get the thinnest metal frames, but I still feel like
they age me.
I heard you can't use contacts if you wear bifocals.
Is this true?

Page 1 of 1
notneutral12671589551320 PostsRegistered 12/3/2004
no, not true. You can go with monovision contact lenses, one reading lens one distance, or bifocal lenses. google allaboutvision.com. I use monovision an have great success with that method. You may need to try the different options out.

A witty saying proves nothing.

shamalamad­ingdong512671603273313 PostsRegistered 2/12/2008
I know people who need bifocals and wear contact lenses. I'm not sure why you won't consider graduated lenses for your glasses though. I need bifocals, but with graduated lenses, no one can tell.
--
A little song, a little dance, a little selzer in your pants.
Chuckles the Clown

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

meuw412671606062122 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007on a beautiful island in the Pacific ocean
I wear a bifocal contact as I have only one eye and am legally blind in the other. I have tried many bifocal contacts and have one that works well. I love it as I do not like to wear glasses. My hubby wore one contact for distance and one for reading and did very very well. Since he had cataract surgery he wears only one. Very successful and so much better than glasses.

Shorty2U126716075415148 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA
I have had that argument all the time w my long time eye doctor. He claims because I have bifocals (invisible ones) and stigmatism, that I can NOT wear contacts because they wont be efficient enough.
But I hear from friends I CAN. So I may switch docs this year. (I have fashionable glasses but I too am sick of them)

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

Ilovehummi­ngbirds12671628855018 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
I have a friend that is trying out the new bifocal contacts. She has not told me yet how she likes it. I hate wearing glasses all of the time so I wear contacts when I am out of my home.

Doc-Mom126716291016317 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006
I have monovision contacts and love them. It did take awhile to get them right and the right doctor though.
I tried the bifocal contacts and they just didn't work for me.

Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend... never owned a dog.

Don't try to win over the haters, you are not the jerk whisperer.

gojo12671631423314 PostsRegistered 4/25/2006
When I wear my contacts I just use a cheap pair of readers when I need them.

irish mama12671635234492 PostsRegistered 5/10/2007
> I hate wearing my bi focals.
> I feel like they add 10 years to my face.
>
> I did get the thinnest metal frames, but I still feel
> like
> they age me.
>
> I heard you can't use contacts if you wear bifocals.
>
> Is this true?
I have worn glasses since age 5 and contacts since 13.
I am now 53 and have worn bifocal glasses for several years.
I tried the contacts one eye for distance the other for closeup, could not adjust to them. I now where bifocal contacts. Not great I do not wear them every day mostly just when I go out.
I agree my glasses make me look older also. Katie

KaterTater1267169193389 PostsRegistered 1/20/2009
I wear contacts and have for years and years. When i started to need cheaters I hated it. So I now wear monvision lenses and love them. I hated having to always remember where my glasses were plus it made me feel old. So now I just make fun of my husband when he can't see.

best10buddy12671844941254 PostsRegistered 11/6/2006
They are called multi focal lenses..I wear them - but agree with the folks that say you do not see as well as with glasses... I rarely wear them but I want to get back to working with them.
A pair of reading glasses is a must - I have a stigmatism also.

Subject126730280111269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
I too have worn contacts( hard lens) since I was 14 and now I am 55. Now I have readers all over the house - in every room and in the car. I am basically blind without them for close up. . I even wear them when I eat- or my food is a blurr. I have to wear them on the computer as well. I have 20/400 vision without correction- so I am legally blind without correction -say to drive. With my contacts in, I get 20/20 corrected vision for distance- but, now that I am older my close up vision is all sc*rew*e*d up with my contacts in.

Cassiel1267303456685 PostsRegistered 1/7/2010
I had a pair of monovision lenses. Hated them. They were great for reading the paper, working on the computer. They were horrendous (for me) for long-distance viewing especially when driving. I could not see street signs until I was almost upon them. And night driving? Yikes!
Now I just changed to having one lens for long-distance and one lens for close-up as a set. Works out way better. You may have to have a couple sets tried to see which distance/close-up works for you, but your optometrist shouldn't have a problem with this. Your brain adapts.

IN2BE1267303615803 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
I did monovision for a while. Now I have multifocal lenses. They are better than monovision, but not as comfortable as my regular lenses with cheaters when I want to read.
The lower the light, the worse my vision is with multifocal lenses. I only use them when I'm out for the day and don't have to read a lot. They are great for golf. I can see the scorecard and the lenses don't seem to interfere with my game.

FunNurse1267304464191 PostsRegistered 9/27/2008
Shorty2U: I encourage you to try other doctors. I switched to a different one for 4 years after my long time opthamologist retired. I finally found someone to work with me.
I have worn contacts for 40 years. My fabulous optometrist changed my contact RX 7 times to get my vision better. I have the "multifocal/bifocal" contacts now but one eye has a bit more distance power and the other more near power. Essentially monovision-bifocal contacts...now that is a great optometrist!
I wore monovision for about 10 years but as my eyes worsened the near eye and far sight eye difference became so great that I got dizzy. Thus the need for the multifocal contacts.
I also need to add readers at times too especially when the light is bad.
The bottom line, they can do quite a bit with contacts but you need a good optometrist/opthamologist to work with you too.
Good Luck to all!

deeva12673046292117 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005stuck in the middle
I've been wearing monovision for about ten years and I love them. I also have a pair of no line bifocals that I use when I don't wear my contacts. The no line lenses cost more but I feel they are worth the extra money.

biancardi126730468147273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
I currently wear contacts because I am near sighted; however, I had buy drug store reader glasses because I can't read fine print anymore :_|
--
For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.
--
Edited by biancardi at 02/27/2010 12:05 PM PST

Last edited on 2/27/2010

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

tsavorite12673047834752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005
Great thread.....I am facing this decision myself next week! I am hoping I might be able to get by with one more yr in my same prescription for contacts/distance.....have woren them since I was 16yr olds...now 45...when I went in last yr he wanted to increase my script but I tried that and just walking around the mall to look at stuff was all messed up! I would need to have readers on me constantly....putting them on and off every few seconds like that!
He suggested next yr trying the monovision.....isn't that just one eye gets distance corrected and the other gets up close corrected??
I just go to lenscrafters....is that good enough? or should I be going to a different place for this?
--
"Think about it this way.....In 100 years who's gonna care anyway?"

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Subject126730480611269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
> I currently wear contacts because I am near sighted;
> however, I had buy drug store glasses because I
> I can't read fine print anymore :_|
>
> --
> For all those whose cares have been our concern, the
> work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still
> lives, and the dream shall never die.
I am like you-It is the worse thing! And It gets worse and worse as the years go by. I am 55 now and basically feel blind without my readers on!

biancardi126730495747273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
I am like you-It is the worse thing! And It gets worse and worse as the years go by. I am 55 now and basically feel blind without my readers on!
it is horrible. I am in the store and I have to put on my readers. I had to start using this year and bought like 7 pairs so I would ALWAYS have them around.
Last week, I was in a meeting with my boss and he brings out this technical diagram (very fine print and teeny tiny drawings...) I said "Oh jeez....I need my readers" , ran back to my office, grabbed them and rushed back to his office. He was laughing! Darn young whipper snapper!! lol
he is only 5 years younger than me - I told him - wait a couple of years.....
--
For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

Page 1 of 1