Guaranteed Delivery
121 Members and 13127 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Hair Loss and Scalp Tenderness

Started 1266124992 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1266200504 by hopi
I've noticed that my hair is thinning....and my scalp feels "tender"....I can't really describe how it feels......kinda like tingly/tender.
I have a little "hair catcher" thingy in the shower and don't really see a lot of hair after my shower. (I wash my hair every other day). Not a lot in my brush and none on my pillow......I can't imagine where it's going.
Anyway......I went to the doctor last week for it (but, forgot to mention how my scalp feels) and he thinks it's probably my thyroid. I currently take 88mcg of Synthroid daily and my Thyroid level was fine with my last blood test (about 2 months ago). My doctor really doesn't want to increase my meds.
He suggested taking Biotin, which I had already started taking. I had a bottle of Andrew Lessman's here that I had never opened (not expired) and I also read that Vitamin D3 could help, so I added that.
Has anyone else here experienced the scalp issue?
I plan on seeing my dermatologist next.
--
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain~

"Don't let anyone steal your hope."
RIP Ashley my sweet girl Wed., 5/22/13. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

Page 1 of 1
meuw412661255372122 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007on a beautiful island in the Pacific ocean
I had the same problem you are describing. I take medicine for my thyroid and when the dr. uped my dose I started loosing more hair. I went to my dermatologist and he suggested biotin and d 3. I take both and the problem cleared up and my hair has grown in and I am not loosing any. I continue to take both products. If you are like me you are on your way to healthier hair.I also bleach and color my hair. Have done it for over 50 years.
--
Edited by meuw4 at 02/13/2010 8:33 PM PST

Last edited on 2/13/2010

dex12661255443288 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006
Yes i know what you are talking about..kind of a numb tingly sensation that is not painful but tender.I also have hair loss with it and figured that it was the hair color.So I have stopped coloring and it does seem to be feelingv a lot better.Hope the hair starts to grow back.

Lotus~126612615035887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Thanks to both of you.......I hope the Biotin/D3 combo helps me too.
Good luck to both of you.
ETA......did the weird feeling in your scalp continue?
--
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.Dream. Discover"
~Mark Twain~
--
Edited by LotusLvr at 02/13/2010 8:44 PM PST

Last edited on 2/13/2010

Crow Go Br­agh12661269901992 PostsRegistered 5/15/2009Vacationland
Shave your head and start fresh :-p
(I loved that feeling.....so liberating!)
--
~~Ev'rybody have fun tonight. Ev'rybody Wang Chung tonight.

"The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech." \

Lotus~126612773335887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Uhhhhhhh, no thanks....
But, I appreciate your help.:^O
I didn't realize you ever went thru with it, Crow......I remember you talking about it. When did you do it? How long is it now????
I could never do that.....My hair has always been my "crowning glory".
--
~Mark Twain~

meuw412661292252122 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007on a beautiful island in the Pacific ocean
> Thanks to both of you.......I hope the Biotin/D3
> combo helps me too.
>
> Good luck to both of you.
>
> ETA......did the weird feeling in your scalp
> continue?
>
>
> --
> "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
> by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did
> do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the
> safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
> Explore.Dream. Discover"
> ~Mark Twain~
>
> --
> Edited by LotusLvr at 02/13/2010 8:44 PM PST
Not for me.

victoria g­irl12661295047681 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
> I've noticed that my hair is thinning....and my scalp
> feels "tender"....I can't really describe how it
> feels......kinda like tingly/tender.
>
> I have a little "hair catcher" thingy in the shower
> and don't really see a lot of hair after my shower.
> (I wash my hair every other day). Not a lot in my
> brush and none on my pillow......I can't imagine
> where it's going.
>
> Anyway......I went to the doctor last week for it
> (but, forgot to mention how my scalp feels) and he
> thinks it's probably my thyroid. I currently take
> 88mcg of Synthroid daily and my Thyroid level was
> fine with my last blood test (about 2 months ago). My
> doctor really doesn't want to increase my meds.
>
> He suggested taking Biotin, which I had already
> started taking. I had a bottle of Andrew Lessman's
> here that I had never opened (not expired) and I also
> read that Vitamin D3 could help, so I added that.
>
> Has anyone else here experienced the scalp issue?
>
> I plan on seeing my dermatologist next.
>
> --
> "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
> by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did
> do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the
> safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
> Explore.Dream. Discover"
> ~Mark Twain~
I would go with the treatment that your discussing here. But, I am sure your "face" is quite pretty... I think it's the "eyebrows" that bring out the face... not the hair.... :-x

Crow Go Br­agh12661300811992 PostsRegistered 5/15/2009Vacationland
Hey, Lotus :) I shaved my head on Christmas day 2008, haven't touched it since. I can pull it back into a ponytail that's about 3" long. It grew FAST!
--
~~Ev'rybody have fun tonight. Ev'rybody Wang Chung tonight.

"The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech." \

Lotus~126613017435887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Wow Crow!!! That was fast..........in just over a year.....I bet it's in great shape and looks very beautiful..
My hair has always grown very slowly.
--
~Mark Twain~

Shelbelle126615943935248 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Also try taking Black Currant Oil or Evening Primrose Oil, about 1000 mg per day, this is suggested for hair loss by Dr Weil.

Lotus~126616497135887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Thanks, Shellbelle.........I didn't know that.
--
~Mark Twain~

MyGirlsMom126617702333422 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008
...the things we learn in "Viewpoints"...
I have been experiencing this problem and thought it was [u]just me[/u]..
I will be adding Biotin to my regimen.
Thanks Lotus for this thread and a big THANKS to the posters who gave advice. :-)
--
"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in your life you will have been all of these."
-- George Washington Carver
(courtesy of Jane551)

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong, because someday in your life you will have been all of these."

rivendell12661840218215 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007at the water's edge
I think your scalp tenderness should be seen by a dermatologist. It could be a scalp condition that is at least partially responsible for your hair loss. It can be treated, and the hair will return. Good luck!
--
And we are sick and tired of hearing your song, tellin' how you'll change right from wrong...'cause if you really want to hear our views, "you haven't done nothin'..."

Lotus~126618791635887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
I can't figure out why my scalp feels weird......it's perfectly clear...no flakes, bumps, or irritation.
I did go to my PCP....but, I do plan on going to my derm as well.
--
~Mark Twain~

AfghanQueen12661943162269 PostsRegistered 9/21/2006Kentucky
LotusLvr,
When I began losing my hair due to chemotherapy, WEN cleansing conditioner and WEN oil in the Tea Tree formula helped tremendously with the scalp sensitivity. If you don't have WEN, try any Tea Tree product for the hair and see if that helps.

Lotus~126619666335887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Thanks Afghan..........I hope you are doing better and on the road to recovery.
I'm wondering if your name is any indication of what you love to do? Do you quilt, knit, or crochet?
ETA............LOL......I just read your profile....I guess you like to crochet......so do I...........I'm so sorry for what you're going thru....doesn't seem fair does it? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
--
~Mark Twain~
--
Edited by LotusLvr at 02/14/2010 4:19 PM PST

Last edited on 2/14/2010

mwild3612661991215517 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006
Hiya, Lotus!
How's your iron level? My doc has me on iron pills and that has helped me with the hair loss. I notice a lot of hair coming out and figured I was just shedding, except it went beyond the summer. Luckily, I have a lot of hair so no one else noticed it but me. Apparently, anemia can contribute to hair loss.
I'm good now.
--
"Discover new ways to feel complete" ~ QVC ~ :-p

Lotus~126619984535887 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY
Hey mwild......how are ya?
I had blood work in November...I'll ck. with the doctor to see if they did an iron level.
Thanks.
--
~Mark Twain~

mwild3612662001175517 PostsRegistered 11/20/2006
> Hey mwild......how are ya?
>
> I had blood work in November...I'll ck. with the
> doctor to see if they did an iron level.
>
> Thanks.
I'm good! Thanks for asking.
Yeah, check on it. :-).
--
"Discover new ways to feel complete" ~ QVC ~ :-p

hopi126620050411047 PostsRegistered 11/26/2006
Do you think there is a common thread with all the Q ladies with the same issue, maybe there is a common product everyone is using?

Page 1 of 1