Shoes & Handbags Offers
176 Members and 14383 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Why do People Have to "Come Forward" when they Win the Lottery?

Started 1325302770.27 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1326326033.257 by BonnieBelle

There was one single winner on the Mega Millions lottery this past week, sold here on Long Island by Quick Pick. One person won $208 million dollars! Now everyone seems to be waiting for this person to "come forward" to claim their prize.

What if they don't want to come forward and publicize this jackpot? What if they want to keep it private? It seems that everyone wants to be in the limelight with their prizes, and I wonder why.

I think I'd rather keep it to myself and my family. Who needs the immediate world knowing that I won such a huge amount of money?

Would you want to keep this private or would you like to "come forward" to let the world know you won?

That is ONE huge prize for one winner. Good luck to them!

Sunny

"This is the South, and we're proud of our crazy people."
~~Julia Sugarbaker

"I don't like to repeat gossip, so listen carefully."

Page 1 of 2
tiamaria1325302901.9472576 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006

Never ever ever would I want anyone to know. Ever. I wouldn't want most of our family to know either. I would love to keep it between just me, DH and the accountant.

Hildegarde­ Withers1325303064.91311690 PostsRegistered 11/9/2011

I think you have to. That's part of the stipulation if you win.

I guess it's like advertising for the Lottery.

Last edited on 12/30/2011

Last edited on 12/30/2011

Marp1325303259.98313480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

The names of State Lottery winners are public record so they have to identify themselves, at least to the degree of how the payment is titled.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

sunala1325303431.31719243 PostsRegistered 11/13/2004

Ahhh thanks, I didn't know that.

I guess if I won I'd know {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Sunny

~~Julia Sugarbaker

foggy!1325303478.914547 PostsRegistered 6/10/2006

Hi sunny......no, I'm not coming forward......I'm entering the back door, signing an automatic deposit slip into my bank, and leaving quietly...hopefully all the way back to my car without anyone mobbing me!

I've wondered about security around the lottery building. Certainly no one leaves there with cash/check in hand. Anyone know how this works? Just in case.

sunala1325304055.1919243 PostsRegistered 11/13/2004
On 12/30/2011 foggy! said:

Hi sunny......no, I'm not coming forward......I'm entering the back door, signing an automatic deposit slip into my bank, and leaving quietly...hopefully all the way back to my car without anyone mobbing me!

I've wondered about security around the lottery building. Certainly no one leaves there with cash/check in hand. Anyone know how this works? Just in case.

Hi Foggy! Happy New Year to you and Mr Foggy and the sweet Foggettes :)

I don't know how it works at all. Where would you hide your ticket until you brought it to the lottery office to "come forward??" Could you possibly close your eyes and leave it unguarded for two seconds? One person said they hid it under their couch cushions under where their big doggie sleeps lol

As far as leaving the lottery office with your prize, I don't think you take money with you at that point. I know they make up a mock check with your name and the amount for photos, and then according to how you choose to take your money, whether over 20 years or a lump sum, I guess they'd give you checks or electronically deposit the money in your account? I actually have no idea!

We should be so lucky to find out {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Nice to see you xox

Sunny

~~Julia Sugarbaker

kdgn1325304679.83313055 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The winner may or may not be a matter of public record, depending on the state you live in. I would think you could claim it quietly, without fuss if that was your desire. It sure would be mine! I'd hate to think how many relatives would come crawling out of the woodwork if that news was published!

There have been winners who safely hid the ticket and consulted lawyers and financial planners before ever claiming the winnings. The lawyers paved the way. Heck, there may even be a way to claim it online!

Maggie Nol­ia1325306310.44314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 12/30/2011 sunala said:

There was one single winner on the Mega Millions lottery this past week, sold here on Long Island by Quick Pick. One person won $208 million dollars! Now everyone seems to be waiting for this person to "come forward" to claim their prize.

What if they don't want to come forward and publicize this jackpot? What if they want to keep it private? It seems that everyone wants to be in the limelight with their prizes, and I wonder why.

I think I'd rather keep it to myself and my family. Who needs the immediate world knowing that I won such a huge amount of money?

Would you want to keep this private or would you like to "come forward" to let the world know you won?

That is ONE huge prize for one winner. Good luck to them!

Sunny

You answered your own question. They have to "come forward" to claim their prize. They have to make an appearance at the pay-out place and present their winning ticket. How else would they claim it -- mail it in??? I think not. However, none of that necessarily means they must plaster their face or even their name all over the media. They can easily opt out of all the publicity.

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

hckynut1325307168.719215 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

Hi Sunny,

I don't know for sure, but my guess it is part of the Media thing that requires a winner to come forward. Plus, my guess is the vendor that sold the winning ticket probably wants everyone to know where the winner was purchased. I am sure many believe "if they won there, I best try that store, or whatever".

Enjoy this weekend with your family and loved ones.

hckynut(john)

Hildegarde­ Withers1325307788.06311690 PostsRegistered 11/9/2011

Read the Lottery rules. I'm pretty sure it states that they can use your name & put you on TV & take pics, etc.

It's advertising for the Lottery.

haddon91325309151.2076030 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 12/30/2011 tiamaria said:

Never ever ever would I want anyone to know. Ever. I wouldn't want most of our family to know either. I would love to keep it between just me, DH and the accountant.

I wouldn't want anyone to know either! I think it's a bit scary for everyone to know how much money you've won. Not to mention the "friends" that would come out of the woodwork! ....Gee I've known people who've made not so nice comments over some very minor winnings! Can you imagine how people would react if they knew you won big money?

blahblahva­mpemerblah1325316665.856144 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/30/2011 Hildegarde Withers- said:

Read the Lottery rules. I'm pretty sure it states that they can use your name & put you on TV & take pics, etc.

It's advertising for the Lottery.

I haven't heard of a state that forces you to go public (press conference, pics...etc.) if you win.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

MrsSweetie­Bear1325316843.996397 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Somewhere UNDER the rainbow

I've wondered about this from time to time also so mahalo for asking the question! Not that I ever have to worry about it. We don't even have any type of lotto or lottery in our state!

My favorite people are dogs, and
Dogs are my favorite people.

Mimi 2 Five1325316997.157778 PostsRegistered 1/12/2009

They just announced on tonight's news that in my state of NC, starting Jan. 15, the price of lottery tickets are doubling! Instead of $1 they will cost $2.

They are justifying the increase by saying, "It will increase your chances of winning." or "The winning amounts will be larger."

{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

~foundinlv~1325319365.8931482 PostsRegistered 5/1/2011

I think anyone that won would have to move as soon as it became public. I can't imagine what it would be like staying in the same neighborhood and having hundreds of people knock at your door for a loan or for a business venture.

jackthebear1325332410.625590 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

me too, can you imagine all the people crawling out of the woodwork asking for money.

I wouldnt want anyone knowing at all

lazy_daisy1325337895.71669 PostsRegistered 9/3/2011

Ever see Lottery Changed My Life?

SO many crazy stories, from people being inundated with phone calls and letters from friends and family and total strangers, and even people just showing up at their doors asking for money! The worst stories are where the winners get death threats from people who are jealous that they won. Then they have no choice but to move away.

People become desperate when money is involved!

AngelPuppy11325338838.1838664 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008

It would definitely be a blessing and a curse. However, I am game!!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} It's funny - DH and I were just talking about this yesterday due to the fact of that recent winner who had an attorney step forward at the last minute to claim the prize. I said how would you handle that when you won - or if you won - do you have to make yourself public, and DH said he thought you could say that you wanted to remain as anonymous as possible, but I don't know whether this is true. I would worry about people trying to kidnap you and extort your relatives for money or relatives offing you for money or people claiming to be relatives and other assorted people you never even hear from, bothering you constantly for money, or being robbed or murdered, etc. I told DH, you'd have to move and tell practically no-one where you live. Providing, of course, you won a huge sum. It would sure be a huge life altering experience.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin.

Madisson1325339092.9131978 PostsRegistered 10/13/2011SoCal

Maybe it is written in the acceptance agreement for advertising purposes.

Someone I used to work with won (split with others in a group). After they were told to "come forward", the lottery people told them to move to another state and keep their winnings quiet.

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

LadyO1325340298.6571527 PostsRegistered 7/24/2006

No way would I come forward............... Just the other day there was a winner of 1 Million for the Publishers Clearing House............ They had a pic of the winner in front of his house in the local paper.............. I thought to myself poor thing................

The recent winner who sent for his "committee" of accountants & lawyers to do the collection is the way to go............... But that team was making out that they were the actual winners.................. Their demeanor did not look like winners to me.............. But I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more teams coming forward for winnings instead.........

I'd pay someone to appear for me............. But I'd have to make sure that individual wouldn't eventually write a tell all book..............LOL

SydneyH1325340337.70740965 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

Not sure but in this state, for tax reasons and advertising reasons I think it is a requirement to make your identity public.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

beach music1325340589.72729065 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007

for safety and security reasons, if i won that much money i'd stay out of the spotlight as much as possible, and would not "come forward" to claim my check.

"don't get so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance." bill maher

Photo Don­na1325341721.1614016 PostsRegistered 12/26/2005walking the dogs

they have to come forward because no one knows who buys which number. The lotteries love it when they get a big winner -- it encourages others to buy -- so the publicity of having some grinning winner holding a large check (size and worth) is good for their business.

If we ever won something like it -- and that would be hard since we usually do not partake -- our attorney would come forward for us Smile

every 6 seconds a pet dies in a shelter -- adopt

Luckylu II1325342294.2531408 PostsRegistered 2/7/2011
On 12/31/2011 Photo Donna said:

they have to come forward because no one knows who buys which number. The lotteries love it when they get a big winner -- it encourages others to buy -- so the publicity of having some grinning winner holding a large check (size and worth) is good for their business.

If we ever won something like it -- and that would be hard since we usually do not partake -- our attorney would come forward for us Smile

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} exactly!

"Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest."
— Sam Levenson

pitdakota1325342562.319370 PostsRegistered 12/20/2006Kentucky

It has been a few years ago and I can't remember what show it was, but there was a financial planner talking about lottery winners. If I remember correctly, he said that there is a way for lottery winners to set up a corporation and then a representative of the corporation comes forward to claim the money. In other words, he was saying there was a way to do this in which the names do not have to be disclosed. Of course, this all cost money of course. lol

I really didn't pay much attention to it at the time since I don't believe I would ever be in the position to have to know this information. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

For those who fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2