A Day of Vicenza Style(R)
138 Members and 13363 Guests Online

Viewpoints

$600.00 Electric Bill

Started 1264624095 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1264695562 by qbonkers
A friend of the family got a call from the Electric Co, to prepare her for her bill, before it came. A shocking $600.00 bill. Seems her heating unit messed up and was running all the time. She has since gotten it fixed.
Anyone have a budget account, same amount each month?

Page 1 of 2
briii1264624247584 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009
They actually called her? Wow!
We have gas heat. Our bill was $178, which is a lot, but we had so many below zero days.
I'm on the budget plan for our electric bill because in the summer, we run the air conditioning a lot. That gets very pricey.

JESSES GIRL126462427126 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007
My house is 3500sf, but we sacrifice a little comfort and put the thermostat about 67 degrees. I live in Dallas, TX. My electric bill still came out to a whopping $700. I was flabbergasted.

JJsMom126462434619871 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007
Our electric bill was close to $300 last month.
How do you get it budgeted and how does that work?

briii1264624559584 PostsRegistered 12/30/2009
JJ, call the electric company.
They'll average out your yearly costs and divide them up so you pay a set amount every month. It's nice because there's not a huge surprise every now and then with your bill. It's just the one amount. They audit your account yearly and see if you overpaid or underpaid and then adjust the amount accordingly. It's very nice to know what to expect every month.

sgraham3012646246142624 PostsRegistered 6/2/2006
I'm on the budget plan through Commonwealth Edison.Right now,I pay $106 per month,during the summer,when I'm running central air,my payment is $142 per month.

JJsMom126462473719871 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007
Ahhh, thanks, brii. I thought maybe they cut you off after you've hit a limit. LOL
I might check on that. It seems my bills are so erratic. It can be $50 one month and $300 the next.

Dell12646247722330 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006Northern California
JJsMom, I live in northern California and have Pacific Gas & Electric Company as my utility company. Here it is called a Balanced Payment Plan. You have to have had service for 12 months already to one address. Then they add up the 12 months of bills, divide by 12, and that is your payment. If your usage goes up they raise your payment, if your usage goes down your payment goes down.
So you are not always paying the total of the bill. Hope that makes sense.
Dell

chickenbutt126462483223863 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
Before we got the a/c installed, and a new heater put in (hvac=electric, heater=gas), several years ago our winter utility bills were in the $500 range. The new heater made a huge amount of difference because, from what I was told, after the heater is hitting it's 20-22 years it can start leaking something that makes it less efficient.
Now, my highest bills have been well under $300 and much less during the non-winter time of year.
I've also made a lot of adjustments too. I keep the thermostat on 59-60 most of the time during the winter and have unplugged so many things that I used to keep plugged in all the time. Additionally, I am much more frugal with the hot water, the lights, and other things.
Gas is a lot higher than electric here, the last few years, so that's why our winter bills are in the $200s and our spring/summer/fall bills are half that.
--
----------------
karma, baby, karma

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Rapunzel412646251013468 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
Barbara, I live in NC as well and we have had a very cold past few weeks. I think it is supposed to get down to 13 Sunday night.
I heat with propane gas and I expect that I used between $400-600 this month. I won't get my bill until the first of February.
Check with your utility company. As others have said, you can go on a budget plan and get your payments evenly devided over 12 months. They base the payments on last year's usage.

MandiNee12646251522262 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
My power bill is higher in the summer time because my air conditioner would run all day and night. (I'm in Florida.) A little colder days/nights don't bother me, I just bundle up. I don't like to have the heater on because sometimes it gets too hot. The older I get the easier I am to feel hot. (I blame the hormones!) :) We had quite a few "cold" days this winter (in the 20s at night and 40s during the day) and a lot of people cranked up their heater. I didn't. I turned the whole unit off so while everybody is complaining about their power bill, I'm smiling because my power bill this month is only, ready?
$60.33!
:)

kdgn126462577113157 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
At one time I had the payment plan with Southern California Edison. You had to have at least one year at the same address in order to participate. They used the previous year as the baseline. Added up 12 months of usage and divided that by 12. You paid that amount monthly and your bill would show actual use vs projected use/actual paid vs projected paid for the year to date.
This was great because we used more electricity during the summer than in winter-but paid a set amount all year. I could tell by the monthly bill if we were over what we had used the previous year or under. By the time the 11th month rolled around I pretty much knew if I was going to have a credit or owe at the 12th month. There were a few years where I had a credit towards the next year but most of the time I ended up owing a small amount. That amount was added to the 12th month bill.
If I had been paying $125 a month and had used more than the projected amount by say $95, then that 95 was added to the 125. The next year I would end up paying more a month because it's all based on the previous year's usage.
We could have done this with the gas company too but those bills were never all that high.

Barbarainnc12646260373029 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006
I called to get on the budget account after getting a $321 bill. Our heating unit messed up. My payment will be $209.70 now.
At least I know what my bill will be each month :) :)

Billie53126462620618955 PostsRegistered 2/9/2007VA
Yep...went to to the budget plan just recently because of a high bill..budget was half of what my last bill was so we went for it...
--
“A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but before he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with.”~ Kenneth A. Wells~

"Nobody can be kinder than the narcissist while you react to life in her own terms."

BeanCounte­r1712646262305151 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006Virginia
Bbudget plan definitely worth it. I do that for both my propane and my electric. I have a 3500 sq ft home and my electric and propane are both $100/month all year long except for the 12th reconciliation month - but even then I've never owed a balance.
As others, I mostly use propane for heating the house in the winter and hot water year round, electric more so in the summer for the A/C. Spring and fall months when I use little of either I am building up credits which allows for the relatively low $100 month figure. Propane budget plan is a little more restrictive - company must have access to my land to make delivery any time to top off what's there to take advantage of lower cost fuel, have to take delivery of at least 400 gallons a year, etc..
--
Edited by BeanCounter17 at 01/27/2010 12:04 PM PST

Last edited on 1/27/2010

SoBe Babe12646267353688 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009"Paradise"
> My power bill is higher in the summer time because my
> air conditioner would run all day and night. (I'm in
> Florida.) A little colder days/nights don't bother
> me, I just bundle up. I don't like to have the heater
> on because sometimes it gets too hot. The older I get
> the easier I am to feel hot. (I blame the hormones!)
> :) We had quite a few "cold" days this winter (in the
> 20s at night and 40s during the day) and a lot of
> people cranked up their heater. I didn't. I turned
> the whole unit off so while everybody is complaining
> about their power bill, I'm smiling because my power
> bill this month is only, ready?
>
> $60.33!
>
> :)
MandiNee: Hi - I'm in So.Florida - I usually look forward to the "winter" months because the air conditioning is not running 24/7 and my bills are nice & low. Not this year!!! I wasn't as brave as you and my heat was on steadily for about 2 weeks. I haven't received my FPL bill yet - but I cringe at the thought. Oh Well - I'm going to have to "pay the piper" for my need to be "toasty" ;-)

CANCEL MY NAME

kaybee12646271228413 PostsRegistered 7/3/2006Wisconsin
We've had plenty of $600 utility bills here in Wisconsin. When it goes below zero the heat has to run constantly.

Qcloudy12646272661046 PostsRegistered 9/5/2009
WOW, those bills are mind bending. My last gas bill, paid on 1/13/2010 was $125 and the electric was $100, rounding up. Our highest utility bill has only been about $250 in the summer for electric and I thought that was outrageous.
--
What a revolting development!!
Russian Nadyezhda, hope

What a revolting development!!

MandiNee12646279832262 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
> MandiNee: Hi - I'm in So.Florida - I
> usually look forward to the "winter" months because
> the air conditioning is not running 24/7 and my bills
> are nice & low. Not this year!!! I wasn't as brave
> as you and my heat was on steadily for about 2 weeks.
> I haven't received my FPL bill yet - but I cringe
> nge at the thought. Oh Well - I'm going to have to
> "pay the piper" for my need to be "toasty" ;-)
sobe babe, I'm in Orlando and I think you guys in South FL got a little colder than we did here. I heard that FPL has a more reasonable rate than Progress Energy (which is what we have here in Central FL). I hope your bill isn't too bad. This week is nice though, it's been in the 60's during the day and in the 40's at night. This is what it's all about living in Florida. :)

doxiemom 4126462834527472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL
My bill here runs about $500 every month.Makes me sick...I have two seperate units, becuase of the size of the house.......
--
New Member of The GAL.Yipee!!!!

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

SilverDiva12646305861181 PostsRegistered 1/1/2007
On Monday we got a $700+ electric bill. They didn't call to warn us!
My husband called the electric co. and the CS Rep told him that our bill had been estimated the last few months. She also said that whenever they estimate her bill she calls and tells them to come out and read the meter. According to her their estimating capabilities are pretty bad.
So that's what we'll do from now on. It was a shock, to say the least.
--
If Lassie had been a Sheltie Timmy never would've fallen into the well

If Lassie had been a Sheltie Timmy never would've fallen into the well.
Yeah, but mine's a Silken Windhound...

monti31264637057437 PostsRegistered 8/27/2006
I live in a 3 bedroom townhouse in MN. I'm on the budget plan with my gas (heat and water heater)
$41/ month

SoBe Babe12646451203688 PostsRegistered 2/15/2009"Paradise"
> > MandiNee: Hi - I'm in So.Florida - I
> > usually look forward to the "winter" months
> because
> > the air conditioning is not running 24/7 and my
> bills
> > are nice & low. Not this year!!! I wasn't as
> brave
> > as you and my heat was on steadily for about 2
> weeks.
> > I haven't received my FPL bill yet - but I
> cringe
> > nge at the thought. Oh Well - I'm going to
> have to
> > "pay the piper" for my need to be "toasty" ;-)
>
> sobe babe, I'm in Orlando and I think you guys in
> South FL got a little colder than we did here. I
> heard that FPL has a more reasonable rate than
> Progress Energy (which is what we have here in
> Central FL). I hope your bill isn't too bad. This
> week is nice though, it's been in the 60's during the
> day and in the 40's at night. This is what it's all
> about living in Florida. :)
--
Edited by sobe babe at 01/27/2010 9:24 PM PST

Last edited on 1/28/2010

CANCEL MY NAME

Marienkaef­er212646453438139 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007Beautiful San Juan Islands
> A friend of the family got a call from the Electric
> Co, to prepare her for her bill, before it came. A
> shocking $600.00 bill. Seems her heating unit messed
> up and was running all the time. She has since gotten
> it fixed.
>
> Anyone have a budget account, same amount each month?
Wow, that's awful! That's amazing that they called her; I didn't think that was done. Those unusual spikes do get attention though. When I worked for the power company, that was seen as a sign that there might be some mary jane growing there. :)
I hope they gave her a payment plan, if she needed one.
--
Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

Discouragement is a temporary thing. You just saddle up and get back in the fight. --James Brady

Classylady12646457672251 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Our bill has been higher lately due to the excessive cold we've had here.
ON ANOTHER NOTE: Our water company sent someone out to tell us our meter was running constantly and he was here to check it out.
We had a leak outside and it was under the hedge and we couldn't see it. I thought that was very nice of them to send an employee to the house to look for it. I really appreciate that.
We had to call a plumber to come fix it and the bill was pretty high but I can't complain about their service.

UConnMom20­0812646467901072 PostsRegistered 11/7/2007
Our electric bill in the winter months is routinely $600 -700/month. It's just me and DH, and we only turn up the thermostat in 3 rooms of our 8-room, 2000 sq. ft. house. Can't wait til spring!

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."
Dale Carnegie

Page 1 of 2