Designer Fashion Clearance
129 Members and 12592 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Unordered Magazines

Started 1264554861 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1264891901 by shamalamadingdong5
I have been receiving a number of magazines from the same publisher lately...and for the life of me, I cannot remember ordering them.
I do subscribe to Southern Living, and I have renewed that particular one...but , I am starting to receive other magazines from the same publisher...with bills.
This also happend to me a couple of years ago, when I renewed my Martha Stewart Living...all of a sudden I am receiving her Food magazine, and a couple of others.
Has this ever happend to anyone else?
I have called them, and the person I spoke with got sort of huffy on me (like I care), and I had them cancel it.
--
Yeah......I said it.

Yeah......I said it.

Page 1 of 2
Ripley10912645553749346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006
If they sent them to you, and you didn't order them, then you're
not under any obligation to cancel them.....when you don't send
the check, they'll stop sending them.....
I wonder if this isn't a new scheme to get people to subscribe?

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

Baylor Fan12645555682265 PostsRegistered 5/7/2006
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a scheme to get people to subscribe. Many magazines are going under and they're probably getting desperate.

chickenbutt126455559624304 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
I don't know how this happened but a few years ago, out of the clear blue sky, I started getting Better Homes & Gardens. I didn't order it because I know I wouldn't have even if it were $5 a year. Nothing wrong with it, of course, but it's just not my preference.
It came to my name and my address (I had owned this house for a number of years at that point), and it had an expiration that was a year away. I never got a bill. Got every issue for the whole year and then it stopped. I never did figure out why I was getting BH&G.
--
----------------
karma, baby, karma

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

catnip12645557327025 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Eastern CT
I know that with Martha Stewart Living they will sometimes give you a subscription to Food at no charge. That happened to me twice. Did you get two separate bills for these?
I agree that if you did not subscribe then you don't have to pay. I would write it across the bill and send it back.
--
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
--Roberto Clemente--

"You have fixed the sheets and blankets, now go take a nap."

--"Ricky Ricardo"--

Ripley10912645558549346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006
Is someone mad at you? LOL. I've heard of people getting back
at people for some perceived slight.....by filling out those cards
with the name and address of the person they are trying to get
back at.....Juvenile, of course, but funny.....

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

september126455588117483 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007
We always seem to get at least one magazine that we don't subscribe to, but we've never been billed for them.
At this time, we're getting "The Economist". I think they send us this one because we're WSJ subscribers, and they think we'll get interested in this one and eventually want to pay for it.

Rapunzel412645581263468 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
I've learned never to subscribe to Southern Living and pay with credit card. They had a special - one year for $10. I paid for this by credit card. At the end of the year, they resubscribe for you (without permission) and charge the regular non-discounted price ($36) to your credit card.

Ripley10912645591739346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006
> I've learned never to subscribe to Southern Living
> and pay with credit card. They had a special - one
> year for $10. I paid for this by credit card. At
> the end of the year, they resubscribe for you
> (without permission) and charge the regular
> non-discounted price ($36) to your credit card.
Hi Rap-----that should be illegal. I would be very angry about that.
Southern Living has gone way downhill in the last couple of years anyway.....

Heres Lucy12645595433900 PostsRegistered 12/22/2007Way down yonder in the paw paw patch
Lately I got the Food Network magazine that I did not order, so I wrote them and said not to send again. Yesterday I got a bill to pay for Better Homes and Gardens that I did not order. I wrote them an email and told them not to send any magazines because I do not want them.
--
Lucy
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. –Corrie ten Boom, author

Rapunzel412645596943468 PostsRegistered 1/5/2009
Hi Ripley!
Southern Living,Coastal Living and Cooking Light magazines are all from the same publisher. Sunset magazine could be too - but not sure. They'll all try the same trick.
I've learned to pay by check for the discounted rate. Let the subscription expire. Then in a couple of months, they'll offer another discounted rate once they find out you refuse to pay the full subscription rate.
--
Edited by Rapunzel4 at 01/26/2010 5:36 PM PST

Last edited on 1/26/2010

Ditz II126455969543 PostsRegistered 8/5/2008NY
About a year ago, during a phone order from a catalog (can't remember which one) I was given a one year 'free' subscription to Women's Day. After the second issue came, I called WD to ask when I had ordered, and they told me it came w/t catalog order. Also in Sunday's NY Times there was an article on internet sites which request credit card info for 'trial memberships' and result in subscriptions whose details were hidden in the fine print.

RedheadRed­oux12645614812094 PostsRegistered 12/29/2008In my daylily garden
Okay...I dont know of anyone that is mad at me. LOL
I always pay with a check for my subscriptions, because they always do you that 'favor' and renew for you. ;-)
MSL and Sports Illustrated did that once for my son and I, and I called and had that cancelled...that's why I started paying by check.
I am beginning to wonder if it is some marketing ploy to get you to think you ordered the subscription. I received a copy of [u]Coastal Living[/u] today...with a bill...and I am not paying for it, because I did not order it.
--
Yeah......I said it.

Yeah......I said it.

Kindaglitzy12645615044382 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
How about all of us who purchased those $5.00, etc. subscriptions via Amazon before Christmas? There was a thread on this bb about the cheap subscriptions which is what led me to two gift subscriptions plus one I purchased for myself. Now I'm wondering if we are going to go through this auto renewal via cc c***.
Two scrapbook publications Scrapbook Trends and Creating Keepsakes also use trick tactics for renewals. Scrapbook Trends does the thing about charging the cc without even informing you, Creating Keepsakes keeps sending renewal invoices which could easily trick a person if they are not sure when their current subscription expires.

CLEM126456220612525 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA
I was getting three such magazines last year. This year it's only Architectural Digest. I think they want us to get used to their magazines and then renew them. It's just another way to get your money.
You don't have to cancel them. They know what they are doing. Just don't pay the renewal. That will stop them from coming.

catnip12645638877025 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Eastern CT
I don't ever check anything that is to set up automatic renewal. They present it as a service but what they do is hike up the rate.
--
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
--Roberto Clemente--

"You have fixed the sheets and blankets, now go take a nap."

--"Ricky Ricardo"--

brava412645643171940 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005Northern Virginia
That happened to me with Woman's Day. Not a magazine I would order.
--
"Man is not the lord of all the world's animals. He is the protector"
John Forsythe

"Man is not the lord of all the world's animals. He is the protector" \

honeycat12645659843779 PostsRegistered 8/12/2009
That happened to me years ago...I subscribed to one horse magazine and for YEARS got another to which I didn't subscribe.
I called and told them but they just kept right on sending the magazine and never sent an invoice!
--
In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song.

GoodStuff126456888415192 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008
There are a lot of magazine sales programs (and some scams) through phone marketing, mail marketing, internet marketing, school and community fund raisers, and catalog sales. I wonder if you somehow got signed up through one of these channels without your full understanding or permission? Something like that happened to my daughter a few years ago, and it took a while to un-subscribe from a number of magazines she didn't want.

stl-laura12645703333148 PostsRegistered 5/24/2007st louis! - gateway to the west!!
I get Coastal Living as a substitute for Cottage Living that went under a few months ago - I've also rec'd offers for subsc. to Time etc. for $2 as a perk for answering online surveys - I'm getting that one now along with Real Simple - but they've never auto-renewed anything on my CC -
Laura
--
"Ultimately a genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but he's a molder of consensus. And on some positions, cowardice asks 'Is it safe?' Expedience asks 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks 'Is it popular?'
"But conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' MLK, 1/14/68

...so raise your glass if you are wrong, in all the right ways - All my underdogs, we will never be anything, anything but loud & nitty gritty, dirty little freaks...

Local12645713331512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006
> I've learned never to subscribe to Southern Living
> and pay with credit card. They had a special - one
> year for $10. I paid for this by credit card. At
> the end of the year, they resubscribe for you
> (without permission) and charge the regular
> non-discounted price ($36) to your credit card.
I noticed that on other magazines too. I guess they're trying to get away from those $10 subscriptions and make up the money from people who already get the magazine. And usually they won't send the 'new' bill until half a year is sent to you already. I had wondered why I continued to get certain magazines when I didn't renew and was told that when you do subscribe to those really cheap deals, the fine print says you are agreeing to what they call automatic renewals.

kachina624126457723916306 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
Have you ordered anything from HSN lately? They've started a sneaky thing where they sign you up for a magazine and you don't realize it. I have Woman's Day and something else that I never heard of. Don't want either as I'm sure at some point they'll try to charge for them.
--
“Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

kitkom12646008355646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Just go on the website of that particular magazine you don't want to pay for and cancel your subscription. Its free, easy and works and no more hounding of bills.
--
"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

Topaz Gem126461298015998 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire
That happened to me a couple of years ago. I began receiving Good Housekeeping out of the blue. I never received a bill, but a friend of mine said that magazines are hurting now and that sometimes they send you their magazine for a year, hoping that you will pay to renew it after the year is up. I did enjoy the magazine as I have subscribed to it before, but did not renew because I didn't want their 'scam' to work. LOL. I could tell by the address they used that they got my name from another company that I did business with.
--
I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show. ~Andrew Wyeth
--
Edited by Topaz Gem at 01/27/2010 8:24 AM PST

Last edited on 1/27/2010

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

esmerelda1264613504318 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I was getting a magazine I never ordered (Woman's Day I think). I mentioned it to a friend and she said she'd sent it to me. Something about a special offer where she, as a subscriber, could send a subscription to a friend for free. Now I'm getting BH&G. I guess it's the same deal.
--
Sorry...I'm not a victim.

Sorry...I'm not a victim.

Tuco12646139363377 PostsRegistered 3/1/2008Where the Greys fly
When I ordered from eBags they would set me up with some promo subscriptions whether I wanted them or not. I got Parenting magazine (have no kids), Men's Fitness (am female), Smithsonian, and some other outdoorsy kind of rag. I didn't bother calling as they eventually stopped on their own.
One time I subscribed to Prevention magazine but decided not to renew. They kept sending magazines and then sent me a letter threatening to send a collection agency after me if I didn't renew :O That magazine lost all credibility with me then and there. I never got any collection calls. They did not have my SS# so I am not sure if they could have done anything to me anyway...but I did not like their strong arm technique of trying to make me renew. May work with some of their subscribers but not me.
--
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
- Mark Twain, Following the Equator; Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul." Emily Dickinson

Page 1 of 2