TSV(R) Preview
48 Members and 13942 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Watch your shopping carts and purses!........better than I watch mine!

Started 1324308660.913 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1324481872.383 by BlondeBrooke

I will admit I'm guilty of leaving my purse, unattended in my shopping cart sometimes. I don't walk away from my cart, but I do turn my back on it quite often. I know, I know....shame on me! I am too trusting, I guess, and I just don't think about it.

Anyhow, I was shopping at Aldi the other day, and I had my back turned to my cart looking at the different cheeses. I turned around and noticed my cart was gone. My first thought was that one of my sisters or a friend had seen me and they were playing a joke on me by moving my cart to teach me a lesson. I looked around and didn't recognize anyone I knew. Then I looked, and halfway up the frozen food aisle was my cart. As soon as I spotted it a lady walked over to it and put something in it and proceeded to push it along a few feet where she started putting something else it it. Of course as soon as I saw her I hurried along to get my cart.

I approached her and told her she had my cart. I know she was terribly embarassed as she started gathering her things out of my cart. She apologized and told me she wondered how so many things had gotten in her cart. I told her it was my fault for not watching my cart more closely. Obviously this left her cart unattended, too, one aisle over, but she was smart enough to be carrying her purse on her shoulder.

I am really going to try to be more mindful and careful with my purse. There are very dishonest people in this world, and I don't want to have to learn a hard lesson.

Be careful with your purses, ladies!

Page 1 of 2
cmhpss1324308864.287444 PostsRegistered 12/19/2008

Maybe it was an honest mistake, but wouldn't she have noticed your purse wasn't hers? Very weird.

I know you are right about the warning. I turn away too. I sometimes will tell my kids to watch my purse. But someone could still grab it. I also am bad about leaving it unzipped, so they could even steal my wallet without me knowing until it was time to pay.

Christina

cmhpss1324308880.4837444 PostsRegistered 12/19/2008

double post

Last edited on 12/19/2011

Last edited on 12/19/2011

Christina

brii1324308982.06724191 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

Strange that she didn't notice it wasn't her cart.

I cannot believe how many people leave their purses in the cart and half of them leave them wide open.

I always carry my purse on my arm or shoulder. This time of year, I try to wear a crossbody because there is always an increase in robbery around the holidays.

You just always have to be aware of your surroundings.

~SunDee~1324309015.6439683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010

Yes be very careful....a friend of mine was unloading her bags in her car a man came up grabbed her purse that was in the cart and ran off {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Happiness is about the temporary
Joy is about the eternal!!!

cmhpss1324309128.8777444 PostsRegistered 12/19/2008
On 12/19/2011 ~SunDee~ said:

Yes be very careful....a friend of mine was unloading her bags in her car a man came up grabbed her purse that was in the cart and ran off {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I always stick my purse in the trunk first. That doesn't mean they can't grab it, but it makes it a little harder. I guess the best is to keep it on your shoulder or arm.

Christina

~SunDee~1324309410.5639683 PostsRegistered 6/7/2010
On 12/19/2011 cmhpss said:
On 12/19/2011 ~SunDee~ said:

I always stick my purse in the trunk first. That doesn't mean they can't grab it, but it makes it a little harder. I guess the best is to keep it on your shoulder or arm.

I do the same thing, you just can't be to careful!

Happiness is about the temporary
Joy is about the eternal!!!

burtonfan1324309479.06738 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I always hook the child's seat belt through my purse handle while I'm shopping. I know that won't stop someone from taking it but it will maker it a bit harder and might be noticed by someone. I also always put it in my car before I start loading the bags in.

scotttie1324310627.90338342 PostsRegistered 6/15/2006

The purse I am currently using doesn't have a shoulder strap so I always make sure it is zipped shut and then I put it in the child seat and sort of thread my arm through it. That way it's difficult for someone to run up and snatch and at the same time it reminds me to take it or hold onto it if I stop to look at something.

"A new broom sweeps clean, but an old broom knows where the dirt is."
--today's fortune cookie

clemintine1324310752.7618231 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

Mine does not come off my shoulder, except to pay and not again until I'm in the car. I see it all the time, though. I can unload with it on my shoulder...Because we have such an influx of people in the summer I guess it's just something I've become accustomed to.

Reading labels, turned away from the cart, purse open, wallet and coupon wallet exposed. Makes no sense to me.

First of all, I don't want my bag where produce and/or kids have been....

Do y'all wipe the handle before you start shopping? I do. They provide the wipes, so why not.

Brabls1324311270.16714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I use a cross-body purse. Never leaves my body when I shop.

Lynneuk1324311516.6038255 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

I always wear a cross body bag too. You can't beat them. Your hands are totally free but your bag is never put down anywhere.

I wouldn't be without it.

ThatsmyVPn­Imstickn2it1324312763.06157 PostsRegistered 10/22/2011
On 12/19/2011 cmhpss said:

Maybe it was an honest mistake, but wouldn't she have noticed your purse wasn't hers? Very weird.

I know you are right about the warning. I turn away too. I sometimes will tell my kids to watch my purse. But someone could still grab it. I also am bad about leaving it unzipped, so they could even steal my wallet without me knowing until it was time to pay.

Hi Ladies,

Please don't tell your kids to keep an eye on your purse. They are no match for someone who wants your purse.

I've heard many women do this, but just imagine how your child will feel if your purse is stolen while under their watch. They don't need that kind of guilt.

Put it on your shoulder or carry just a wallet that will fit in your pocket.

halfpint1324314067.7464415 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I always wear a belt back now after walking to the store holing a purse. Someone came up from behind and grabbed it. Saw I was dragging a shopping cart and figured I had money. They were in a car and parked across the street. Shoulders not wide enough to wear other bags.

On the news yesterday a woman put $700 worth of packages in the trunk and then went back inside the store. When she came out discovered nothing there. She had put them in the car next to hers-same color and model. She didn't notice about what was carried in the trunk? They said keys can do that.

missyw11324315010.02732399 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I only use crossbody bags.

CouponQueen1324315547.824456 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010

I put my purse in the top of the cart and wrap the strap around my arm. If I am alone and I walk away I take it with me. If my mother is with me she will take my place by the cart. I had a coworker whose purse was stolen out of the cart if Kmart one time a few years ago.

By the time she got home and reported the cards stolen they had been used already! She had to replace everything including her license.

CouponQueen1324315646.9774456 PostsRegistered 10/21/2010
On 12/19/2011 halfpint said:

I always wear a belt back now after walking to the store holing a purse. Someone came up from behind and grabbed it. Saw I was dragging a shopping cart and figured I had money. They were in a car and parked across the street. Shoulders not wide enough to wear other bags.

On the news yesterday a woman put $700 worth of packages in the trunk and then went back inside the store. When she came out discovered nothing there. She had put them in the car next to hers-same color and model. She didn't notice about what was carried in the trunk? They said keys can do that.

There is a thread on here about that incident. Many posters believe it was a scam.

kitkom1324316205.855646 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I find it utterly amazing how many women I see that plop their purse in the seat area of the shopping cart! I would NEVER do that! It's a sure way to get it snatched up! I see so many shopping with their bag in the cart. Where on earth did they learn this practice? It serves them right if they get it stolen, I don't feel sorry for them one bit. It's called common sense ladies. Smile

"Happiness is Lake Charlevoix!"

minkbunny1324317311.74327015 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007

I used to be pretty bad about that kind of thing but now I wear a small cross body bag, it even fits under my coat if I have one on with no problem. Can't be too carefuly these days. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

My heroes have always been cowboys, and they still are it seems.

“Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life,
love gives us a fairy tale”

Rainbows a­nd Roses1324317784.61318545 PostsRegistered 6/4/2011

I place my purse in the cart and hook up the purse with with the child clip.......that way they will have to work harder to get my handbag and they are waiting to still something for sure even in our small town. I am happy you found your purse and all of your contents were there.

"Crying is for plain women, Pretty women go shopping." Oscar Wilde

"The most beautiful makeup of a woman is passion but cosmetics are easier to buy." YSL

shesallthat1324318046.96710148 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005
On 12/19/2011 Rainbows and Roses said:

I place my purse in the cart and hook up the purse with with the child clip.......that way they will have to work harder to get my handbag and they are waiting to still something for sure even in our small town. I am happy you found your purse and all of your contents were there.

that is what i do BUT if i need to leave the cart and walk away then i unhook it and take it with me. i pay too much money for my bags for someone to try and take one from me!

>>Do y'all wipe the handle before you start shopping? I do.

yes i do!

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

MsEsq1324404013.51144 PostsRegistered 8/31/2006

After a rash of purse snatchings in our area a few years back, I decided never to take my purse into a store anymore. I always wear trousers with pockets and/or a vest with pockets when I shop. I take my car keys in one pocket; my debit card or cash and cellphone in the other pocket; and my glasses hooked onto my shirt collar if I'm not wearing them. And, yes -- I always use the wet wipe provided, and keep it wrapped around the handle so that's the only thing I touch. Before I realized I didn't really need my purse in a store, I did thread the child seatbelt twice through the strap to make it very difficult for anyone to try to grab it easily or quickly.

Bobbisue1324405358.5713691 PostsRegistered 4/25/2010

I always use a crossbody bag when shopping.

Bobbisue-Former nurse...
Buck- forever in my heart...

JB1324407283.783516 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I wrap the handle of my purse around my wrist while it's in the cart! (I carry a shoulder strap purse) I never leave it in there alone, especially now when the thieves are out.

I had a friend who had her purse stolen as she opened her trunk to put groceries in. Lucky for her someone saw the jerk put it in a garbage can and she went to get it and called my friend. That was luck. Naturally the credit cards and cash was gone but she was able to notify everyone and stop the cards and bank accounts from being hacked.

So now I reach for my purse before I even open the back of the car up.

Be kind. You never know what someone else is going through.

only shops­ online1324407996.2175562 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

Crime exists all year, but it's so much worse around Christmas. As much as I love my handbags, I don't leave home to shop, around the holidays, with a full size handbag. I use a crossbody style.

ProudMa1324415925.243347 PostsRegistered 2/1/2010

I have a somewhat different experience. I kept my purse in the seat, with the child's belt around the handle. While picking out veggies, I saw a woman out of the corner of my eye pulling on my purse, then trying to unzip it. My DH grabbed her and yelled for the store manager. The produce manager was near by, and when he saw the lady he said--Not you again. It seems this woman takes it upon herself to 'teach' purse leavers a lesson, by pretending to steal their purse. By this time she was yelling at me how unsafe i was. They took her to the office. I guess it takes all kinds.

Page 1 of 2