Better Than Black Friday
91 Members and 16426 Guests Online

Viewpoints

PLEASE! If you "think" a child is being abused DO NOT look the other way!!!

Started 1316038126 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1316047282.163 by MandaKay0021

Pittsburgh News Today: A four year old boy died from injuries sustained by his mother and his mother's boyfriend! They repeatedly beat him because he wouldn't listen!

Many interviewd stated they "thought" something was wrong because the boy was always bruised.

Even in his little school picture he has a black eye.{#emotions_dlg.crying}OMG! My heart is breaking. . .

Heaven has a new little angel but this little life could have been saved!{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Don't give up five minutes before the miracle. . . . .

Page 1 of 2
PurpleBunny1316038235.05739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

People in Boston won't ... story

HERE

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

Baylor Fan1316038566.8672265 PostsRegistered 5/7/2006

ITA Snuggle-Bunny! There is no excuse for looking the other way when you suspect a child is being abused!

By the way, I just heard that the guy who threw his child overboard will be facing charges after all. He could get up to six years in prison, which I hope he does.

Hildegarde­ Withers1316038689.6723463 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008
On 9/14/2011 Rapunzel3 said:

Isn't that what people do here? Look the other way?

A lot of people do look the other way.

They don't want to get involved or are scared to get involved.

Zcat1316038712.32700 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010Florida
On 9/14/2011 Rapunzel3 said:

Isn't that what people do here? Look the other way?

Here??? What do you mean? Here on this board? Here in the US?

Many professions are required to report suspected abuse.

Jenniferll1316038716.37593 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011

Amen Snuggle - Bunny. I am from Pitts and I just saw that story on the news along with some other POS couple who beat their 7 week old babies.

Stories like this make my blood BOIL. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

KittyLouWho1316039081.91726542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006

ITA, snuggle-bunny.

You MUST speak up for these children!!!

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

TrueDat1316039083.18384 PostsRegistered 2/14/2011

I see children being abused in stores all the time. Yes, pulled out of the store by their ear, slapped across the face for crying and other horrific things. I've read many responses on these boards from posters who have said MYOB.

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”

lapislazul­ii1316039641.0434923 PostsRegistered 2/19/2006

"It is easier to build strong children than to mend broken men." FD

By GEORGE, we will find our way back home.

Jenniferll1316040207.64593 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011
On 9/14/2011 TrueDat said:

I see children being abused in stores all the time. Yes, pulled out of the store by their ear, slapped across the face for crying and other horrific things. I've read many responses on these boards from posters who have said MYOB.

Posters on here have told you to MYOB regarding child abuse??

TrueDat1316040407.677384 PostsRegistered 2/14/2011
On 9/14/2011 JeninPA said:

Not me personally. I have read responses on these boards, posters telling others to MYOB when in a dept. store and seeing parents getting nasty with their children. Example: arm yanking, butt swatting, etc.

Making excuses for the parents "they had a bad day", stuff like that. Sickening. And I have seen this in stores and what do you do?

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.”

KatherineW1316040947.6828130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

I am wrestling with this myself.

My housekeeper got some new neighbors about a year ago. A woman, her 3 children, a new DH, and their baby. One of HER children is a little girl about 5/7. My HK says the little girl often seems scared of her step-father and that she (the housekeeper) can hear him yell and the sounds of things being thrown.

The little girl once asked if she could come over to see HK's cat and HK noticed a big bruise on the little girl's back. HK asked the little girl what happened and the little girl looked away and said "I fell."

They do not live in my county and I have told HK to call Child Protective Services. It is a "law" ( or used to be in Alabama) that CPS has to, at the very least, pay the resident a visit. That can sometimes be enough to scare em straight.

I am not even sure the little girl is school age. So the prospect of a teacher noticing something might not be viable.

What should I do?

Maggie Nol­ia1316041191.55714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

So are mommie dearest and her BF sitting safely in jail with three meals a day and all the idle time in the world?

Were there other children in the house who witnessed it? If so, what's the condition of them?

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

KatherineW1316041491.29728130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

We had a case locally where a man threw all four of his children off a bridge. Took months to find them all. Having lost a child myself I do not see how this mother has the will to live.

He was a drug addict.

Jenniferll1316041510.33593 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011
On 9/14/2011 JeninPA said:

Not me personally. I have read responses on these boards, posters telling others to MYOB when in a dept. store and seeing parents getting nasty with their children. Example: arm yanking, butt swatting, etc.

Making excuses for the parents "they had a bad day", stuff like that. Sickening. And I have seen this in stores and what do you do?

Yeah...if I think a child is being abused I am going to speak up and let the authorities sort it out. I am not talking about raising a voice...I mean hitting, pulling, pushing and so on. If I am in the store I report it to whomever is in charge...if they don't/won't do anything, I pick up the phone. Too much stuff is "ignored" b/c people don't want to get inolved. I love kids too much to do that. Not on my watch. If I am wrong - I am wrong. Better to be safe than sorry.

Maggie Nol­ia1316042300.2114669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Check out this horror story. Briefly, mom and dad escape but their three children die from meth lab fire in their home. Mom recently gave birth for the fourth time.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/mom-charged-in-fatal-1181279.html

Pray for the USA.

KittyLouWho1316042483.0626542 PostsRegistered 1/11/2006
On 9/14/2011 KatherineW said:

My housekeeper got some new neighbors about a year ago. A woman, her 3 children, a new DH, and their baby. One of HER children is a little girl about 5/7. My HK says the little girl often seems scared of her step-father and that she (the housekeeper) can hear him yell and the sounds of things being thrown.

The little girl once asked if she could come over to see HK's cat and HK noticed a big bruise on the little girl's back. HK asked the little girl what happened and the little girl looked away and said "I fell."

They do not live in my county and I have told HK to call Child Protective Services. It is a "law" ( or used to be in Alabama) that CPS has to, at the very least, pay the resident a visit. That can sometimes be enough to scare em straight.

I am not even sure the little girl is school age. So the prospect of a teacher noticing something might not be viable.

What should I do?

I think you should call Child Protective Services yourself, whether the housekeeper calls or not.

"You make me feel like I've been locked out of heaven, for too long, for too long"
Bruno Mars

kdgn1316042826.12713563 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 9/14/2011 KatherineW said:

What should I do?

You do not have to live in the same county to report suspected abuse. Yes, if a report is made it has to be investigated. The child is exhibiting some clasic signs of a problem-fear, lack of eye contact, bruising.

You reporting it based on your housekeeper's words would probably be considered heresay but if your HK isn't going to do anything, it's worth the phone call. Or you could have the HK make the call from your house to make sure it's done.

If anyone feels a child is in immediate danger a phone call to the police is in order. They will act immediately to protect the child. If it's something that needs investigation but is not an immediate danger then Child Protective Services gets called.

rondell1316045731.4413373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

I wish I could cut down all of those cowards! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

rondell1316045939.18313373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

Well, I guess I'm not finished yet. If those no good for nothing parents were ever held accountable, and I'm mean dealt with really tough by the courts, perhaps they would stop being cowards. Prison as it is today, is not enough punishment for child abusers. I don't really give a rip who thinks I'm terrible for saying so either!

They need to be punished.....so it hurts....but doesn't kill them.....not right away anyhow. {#emotions_dlg.mad}

Vamp1316046101.63711875 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

What a heart-breaking story. Thank you, Snuggle Bunny, for reminding us that it is everyone's job to protect a child.

chumlee_1316046280.8875381 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008

MYOB? sorry, but child abuse, elder abuse and animal abuse is YOUR business - it is all of ours. I have no problem with the death penalty for abusers - none, what so ever.

chum

No outfit is complete without copious amounts of horse slobber on it.

57babe1316046309.6278638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

I stopped a woman from abusing her daughter in Macy's. She slapped her little daughter across the face and was yanking her young son's arm almost out of the socket. There were several women watching, none of them would help me stop her. The cashier (woman) didn't stop her. After I told the woman to stop this, she told the cashier that she was going to get me after I left the store and pull every hair out of my head. Scary. The woman was nuts. I had to have the store manager walk me and my sister (who was in another part of the store shopping) out to our car.

Before I left, I asked the store manager to report this woman, but they didn't know her name so they just let it go. The kids looked undernourished, were dirty, and were probably being abused much worse at home where no one is watching. Everyone around was afraid of this woman so they all kept quiet. Disgusting.

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Maggie Nol­ia1316046441.38314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 9/14/2011 Vamp said:

What a heart-breaking story. Thank you, Snuggle Bunny, for reminding us that it is everyone's job to protect a child.

Vamp -- When I see your "name", Cher comes to mind, singing, "She was a scamp, a camp, and a bit of a tramp. She was a V-A-M-P, vamp. LOL! Thanks for the memory!

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Pray for the USA.

Jenniferll1316046627.38593 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011
On 9/14/2011 chumlee_ said:

MYOB? sorry, but child abuse, elder abuse and animal abuse is YOUR business - it is all of ours. I have no problem with the death penalty for abusers - none, what so ever.

chum

EXACTLY.

KatherineW1316046888.2328130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God

Yeah.....I will talk to HK tomorrow and find out their names. I absolutely could not live next door and not DO SOMETHING!!!

Page 1 of 2