Labor Day Weekend Clearance
19 Members and 8536 Guests Online

Viewpoints

If you "block" one of your "friends" on FACEBOOK, what does that do? Can they no longer

Started 1316022313.933 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1316050345.793 by SweetWood Max

If you "block" one of your "friends" on FACEBOOK, what does that do?

Can they no longer see your posts after the date you block them?

Can they write on their wall -- or comment on your page -- or is it that the blocked person thinks they can but that no one really sees it or WHAT???

THANKS!

-Solar Cool

"What man actually needs is not some tension-less state but rather the striving and struggling for some goal worthy of him."
-Viktor Frankl

Page 1 of 1
SweetWood ­Max1316022746.9912234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

what do you mean block? If you just set your features to ignore their posts, they wont show up on your wall. If you truly Block them (which I do), they are no longer able to see you and you can't see them. It's like you disappeared. That also has to be done at your preferences. The ignore feature is at bottom of screen, right hand side on your wall

Also known as Maxs-Grandma!

Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color

pupcakes1316022892.69321295 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

You know longer see them and they can no longer view any of your activity or posts. You cannot view any of theirs either.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Solar1316023095.2333968 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007

I am referring to that "block" function listed on the left-hand side of the FB page (fairly far down).

Thanks,

-Solar

"What man actually needs is not some tension-less state but rather the striving and struggling for some goal worthy of him."
-Viktor Frankl

SweetWood ­Max1316023224.0112234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 9/14/2011 Solar said:

I am referring to that "block" function listed on the left-hand side of the FB page (fairly far down).

Thanks,

-Solar

Yes solar, it will just block what you see from that person. She can still see what you post unless she does this also. HTH

CardinalGi­rl_1316024435.6436642 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007
On 9/14/2011 Loving Max said:
On 9/14/2011 Solar said:

Thanks,

-Solar

Yes solar, it will just block what you see from that person. She can still see what you post unless she does this also. HTH

No, if you block someone, they cannot see anything about you. In fact, if they do a "search" for you, you will not appear to them. It will be as if you do not even exist on Facebook.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Halcyon1316024801.8671570 PostsRegistered 11/18/2010
On 9/14/2011 PinkSugar said:

You know longer see them and they can no longer view any of your activity or posts. You cannot view any of theirs either.

If one does this, then it seems rather illogical to have them as friends in the first place. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Oh my; how positively lovely!

JJsMom1316025132.36719810 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007
On 9/14/2011 CardinalGirl_ said:
On 9/14/2011 Solar said:

Thanks,

-Solar

No, if you block someone, they cannot see anything about you. In fact, if they do a "search" for you, you will not appear to them. It will be as if you do not even exist on Facebook.

Yes, this is correct. You can block anyone (friend or not) to prevent them from seeing you at all. They won't even be able to see if you have an account. Of course, if you want to block someone, I would assume you'd unfriend them first.

There is also the option to hide their posts from showing up on your newsfeed.

Southern F­ried Chick1316025466.2277063 PostsRegistered 11/17/2007

Thanks for asking that question. I've been wondering about the same thing.

Solar1316027333.833968 PostsRegistered 8/24/2007
On 9/14/2011 CardinalGirl_ said:
On 9/14/2011 Solar said:

Thanks,

-Solar

CardinalGirl:

Okay -- that makes sense! Good info, THANKS!

-Solar Wink

-Viktor Frankl

Hooty1316039759.11718448 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~
On 9/14/2011 Halcyon said:

If one does this, then it seems rather illogical to have them as friends in the first place. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

They cannot be a "friend" and be "blocked" at the same time! I have "blocked" some people that I was never a friend with, I just don't want them knowing anything about my life!

SweetWood ­Max1316042744.4112234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

Solar,

This is why I asked you what you mean by "blocked". That could mean 2 things. If I block somebody that I don't want to locate me via the search, I block them through my preferences (top right corner, yes its on the right). After I do this, they cannot find me if they search.

Now, theres also Ignore. That is why I asked what you meant. Ignore is simply if you have a friend that you don't want to "defriend" but you don't want to see there constant nonsense that they post, all over your wall when you sign on. That is on the bottom RIGHT corner. (I checked). This you can change so that there stuff isn't visable to you. They can still see your stuff unless they ignore you.

Ignore and block are TWO different things.

Vamp1316046705.02311234 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

Precisely. You are not friends with a person whom you have blocked. If they search for you on Facebook, it will appear to them that you have no presence on FB at all. They see nothing. Likewise, you cannot look at their page or see any of their comments. This is so you can prevent people with whom you want zero contact to find you or know that you are on FB.

If you "hide" someone, they can still be your Facebook friend. This is not the same as blocking. When you hide them, you just don't have to see all their nonsense posts like they just saw the Virgin Mary in their toenail clippings or whatever. But they can still see your posts, and you might see their comments on mutual friends' posts as well. You are just filtering out some of the garbage that appears on your newsfeed if you happen to have certain friends, who, for example, feel the need to post 10 Black Sabbath songs from Youtube each day that you don't care to view--but you still want to keep in touch with them because they also happen to be your crazy Uncle Daryl, or whatever.

ETA: "hide" = ignore

Last edited on 9/14/2011

Last edited on 9/14/2011

soxfan1316047441.63877 PostsRegistered 2/10/2005Just north of Boston and central Florida

Is there a way unsubscribe Facebook? I want out. I have all my settings on private yet I received a "friend" request from the last person in the world I would ever want to have any type of contact with. It's a little scary actually.

It's always something...

SweetWood ­Max1316050345.78312234 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010
On 9/14/2011 Vamp said:

Precisely. You are not friends with a person whom you have blocked. If they search for you on Facebook, it will appear to them that you have no presence on FB at all. They see nothing. Likewise, you cannot look at their page or see any of their comments. This is so you can prevent people with whom you want zero contact to find you or know that you are on FB.

If you "hide" someone, they can still be your Facebook friend. This is not the same as blocking. When you hide them, you just don't have to see all their nonsense posts like they just saw the Virgin Mary in their toenail clippings or whatever. But they can still see your posts, and you might see their comments on mutual friends' posts as well. You are just filtering out some of the garbage that appears on your newsfeed if you happen to have certain friends, who, for example, feel the need to post 10 Black Sabbath songs from Youtube each day that you don't care to view--but you still want to keep in touch with them because they also happen to be your crazy Uncle Daryl, or whatever.

ETA: "hide" = ignore

Last edited on 9/14/2011

I think u and I just posted the same thing

Page 1 of 1