New Holiday Decor
70 Members and 16706 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Dry Socket after Molar Extraction

Started 1260843412 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1260977029 by RINGER
I posted a few days ago about pain after having a bottom molar extracted by my dentist. Well 10 days post-surgery and my complaining of severe pain, dentist agrees that I have a "dry socket". So this AM he packed it was some medicated gauze, and after several hours I was feeling a little better. Just had a little bit of soup for dinner, soft and easy to chew and swallow, and this gauze started to come out of the hole. I immediately stopped eating and tried to rinse my mouth (lentil soup) and swish it with some hydrogen peroxide. The gauze is halfway out of the hole. I'm not supposed to see him again til Friday and tomorrow I was supposed to go out for an "enjoyable" day in NYC. I'm so frustrated. I was expecting the gauze to stay in there for at least 2-3 days and it didn't even last 12 hours! I don't know what to do other then to try to cover it with cotton to keep what gauze is still there in as best I can. This has been a nightmare.
--
"How wonderful life is, while you're in the world" - E.John/B. Taupin - Your Song

Page 1 of 2
PurpleBunny126084347139232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
Rats! I knew it. Sorry to read it - feel better.
--

(__/)
(='.'=)
("")("")

**mistletoe intolerant**

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

pink-rainb­ows12608436561284 PostsRegistered 4/14/2006
Call the dentist and get EXACT instructions on what he wants you to do next, or this will get serious.
Good luck!

antyel126084367810585 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Miami
I know how painful that can be. Awful pain. Why don't you call his service now - say it is an emergency. When he calls you tell him you want to be at his office first thing in morn.
He can repack it and you can go into the city.
Ellen
--
proud member of the Benevolent Order of Ilks! and a dreamgirl!
tis' the season for thin and crispy!!

"I Am Woman Hear Me Roar"
14 year breast cancer survivor!!

straitgirl126084389021614 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
You need an antibiotic immediately!
--
Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Nancy Drew12608440195538 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
A dry socket is when a blood clot hasn't formed yet to heal it. You might have rinsed the medication out but keep it in as best you can. The dentist I worked for recommened no straws or soup. Too late now tho. If in pain call first thing in the a.m. It is painful and hopefully you will sleep.

Please don't put me in a timeout.

Nancy Drew12608441365538 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> You need an antibiotic immediately!
>
> --
> Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of
> flakes.
I was a dental assit and we never used antibiotics to treat dry sockett as it is not an infection.

Please don't put me in a timeout.

jellyBEAN12608448823398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009
I can't take antibiotics because of past problems associated w/taking antibiotics. I've been so careful I just don't understand this. I hope to feel well enough tomorrow to see the Radio City show and get into the dentist on Wednesday. We have to leave early in the AM as we are seeing a matinee show and taking the train and walking to Rockefeller Center. I feel like such a pest, but I KNEW something wasn't right, yet he kept saying it looked fine.
--
"How wonderful life is, while you're in the world" - E.John/B. Taupin - Your Song

lil spot1260845026496 PostsRegistered 6/26/2009
I work at a dental office. Here is what we tell our patients after an extraction:
The socket is the hole in the bone where the tooth has been removed. After a tooth is pulled, a blood clot forms in the socket to protect the bone and nerves underneath. Sometimes that clot can become dislodged or dissolve a couple of days after the extraction. That leaves the bone and nerve exposed to air, food, fluid, and anything else that enters the mouth. This can lead to infection and severe pain that can last for five or six days.
Some people may be more likely to get dry socket after having a tooth pulled. That includes people who:
smoke
have poor oral hygiene
have wisdom teeth pulled
have greater than usual trauma during the tooth extraction surgery
use birth control pills
have a history of dry socket after having teeth pulled

Rinsing and spitting or drinking through a straw after having a tooth extracted also can increase your risk of getting dry socket.
The pain typically starts about two days after the tooth was pulled. Over time it becomes more severe and can radiate to your ear.
You can take a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as aspirin or ibuprofen to ease the discomfort. Sometimes these over-the-counter medications aren't enough to relieve the pain. When that's the case, your doctor may prescribe a stronger medication or give you a nerve block.
Your dentist will clean the tooth socket, removing any debris from the hole, and then fill the socket with a medicated piece of gauze or a special paste to promote healing. The gauze will stay in place for only several hours. By then you will have received any benefits from the medication. You'll probably have to come back to the dentist's office every day for a dressing change until the socket starts to heal and your pain lessens.
Sometimes we DO prescribe antibiotics to prevent the socket from becoming infected. To care for the dry socket at home, you may rinse with salt water or a special mouthwash, if you were prescibed one, every day.
Again...DO NOT SPIT. Let the water run out of your mouth.
Sometimes healing can take as long as 2 weeks.
Nearly all of our patients report that ibuprofen worked the best to control the pain.
Also...we NEVER recommend using hydrogen peroxide to rinse with. It kills the "good" germs that promote healing.
--
Edited by lil spot at 12/14/2009 5:49 PM PST

Last edited on 12/14/2009

Jen-PT12608455671796 PostsRegistered 9/14/2007West Coast
I had 4 molars removed (needed stitches because they were so deep) and developed dry socket in 3 of them! Dentist told me I had to chill out and rest for a couple of days after they were removed to avoid developing dry socket, but I was moving into our new house the very next day! So I was lugging heavy boxes up and down stairs all day and developed dry socket. It was pretty painful. He packed them and I didn't eat or drink anything overly hot or cold. I think he packed them two or three times over the next week and then the pain went away.
--
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut and still think they are sexy.

jellyBEAN12608456813398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009
Once again, thank you all for your posts.
lil spot - I appreciate you letting me know the gauze typically only stays in for a few hours and that the medicine on the gauze will have done its duty for that time. I have been careful not to spit or use straws. Thought soup would have been OK - not much chewing, apparently NOT.
My pain for the past few days had radiated up to my right ear. Like pressure, waiting for it to pop, but never does. I'm even nervous about swallowing normal saliva. You don't realize how much you swallow until it becomes a problem. Jeez Louise, I never could have imagined this would be such a pain problem.
--

lil spot1260846426496 PostsRegistered 6/26/2009
Best Wishes Puddeesmom,
Dry socket is among the worst pain after tooth extractions.
If your physician allows it...you can take up to 600mg every 6 hours of Ibuprofen. That is the equivalent of three over the counter (200mg) ibuprofen. But please consult your doctor, as I have no way of knowing your medical history or medications your are currently taking.
I am simply giving you the same advise I give to patients everyday, all day long. Hang in there.

darlight12608464902328 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NY
OIL OF CLOVE saved my mouth when this happened to me, got it at a health food store
a few drops in the hole and ahhhhhh.. relief.

Amaly12608470673571 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008cali
I am in awe of the posters who come here for medical, dental and vet questions. Anyone can say they work in a Dr, Dental or Vet office. EVERY dental office has a number for emergency and after hour calls.
--
~A dog wags it's tail with it's heart.~

Ilovehummi­ngbirds12608473104811 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
I had those years ago and I suffered so badly. They gave me a very strong pain pill and my pain was so bad I was working and being alert on a high dose of pain medication. That is how bad the pain was the medicine did not even help me enough. Do not drink out of a straw....which I guess you know by now. I am going to pray for you.....that pain is horrible. For sure call an emergency number. I think it is fine to ask us what would we do.........that is how I learn things and because I ask does not mean I am not going to call my doctor. It is good to know what others do about medical issues.....we are adults and should know we are only reading suggestions. It can help a lot knowing what could be happening.

jellyBEAN12608485453398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009
My basic concern was how long this medicated gauze was supposed to stay put in the socket. I assumed it would stay in there until I went back in a few days time to have it changed. Didn't expect it to start coming out so soon after. I research a lot on the internet as well about health issues. Sometimes you do learn something that can help you.
--

doxiemom 4126084887627472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL
A dry socket is when you disturbed the clot that formed. That is why your dentist will say leave that area alone, do not rinse your mouth, eat a soft diet for the first few days, etc.
--
Tis The Season.......Giant Football.....7-5.......

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

amhistoryn­ut1260850486330 PostsRegistered 12/18/2005
Same thing happened to me.
I had four teeth removed and the bottoms became dry sockets. The oral surgeon that pulled the teeth blew me off like I was a wuss when I complained of the pain.
Ten days in I had a scheduled appt. with my periodontist. When I opened my mouth he about fell over. Told me to never go back to that surgeon and told me to come in everyday for him to pack the holes. I even met him there on Saturday and Sunday. Had to have my husband drive me because it was so bad. He did prescribe antibiotics. And he did pack it with clove stuff. Also, he told me to put family size tea bags on each side of my mouth on top of the holes when I was resting and such.
After 24 hours I felt better. After a week, I was up and going again. But, that pain was unbelievable. My periodontist was great. He never charged me for his services.
You are in my prayers.
Sincerely,
AmHistoryNut

darlight12608511732328 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007NY
...My dentist did not reccomend oil of clove and it was the only instant relief,

newshound61260857030563 PostsRegistered 5/8/2008
When you posted the other day and you said it was white where the tooth had been- I thought you had dry socket, but you said your dentist said it looked ok. I had it about 2yrs. ago after an extraction that came out so easily it barely bled hence no clot. Anyway...ditto to what the others said pain killers, oil of clove (it's like a short term local anesthetic) and TIME. It will heal up, try not to rinse too much and don't let food get into the hole.

brat19041260889168192 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Well....I feel for you!! I've been where your at and it isn't fun!! I would rather have labor pain than a dry socket!! :^O
The advice lil spot gave you was good. My packing started to come out the next day and my dentist told me to keep pushing it back into place with my tongue, gently. That worked and he checked me again the next day and repacked it for me. I'd never had a dry socket before and just thought the pain was from having that tooth pulled........
Seems like teeth on the bottom have a better chance of developing dry socket than ones on the top........ Anyhoo.....hope you are feeling better!!!

RINGER12608940943912 PostsRegistered 4/11/2007Home sweet home in beautiful northern Virginia!
Oh I so feel for you and that awful pain!!! I too had a dry socket and was given Vicoden which made me so nauseated wanted to die! I should have gone back to the dentist but toughed it out and I could feel a pulsating every time I tried to sleep. I was MISERABLE for over a month but finally the area healed. Told my dentist about it and he told me to be sure and tell anyone I ever have extract a tooth what happened as they can put medicine in the area to help eliminate that problem.
Sure hope you had a good time on your trip and that you are pain free!

"You never know when the last time will be the last time."

newshound61260897954563 PostsRegistered 5/8/2008
One more comment-if you are 3,4,or 5 days out from a tooth extraction and instead of the pain decreasing significantly each day it HURTS MORE, I would suspect dry socket.

lulu2126089834621428 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007
I am sorry to read you continue to experience pain. On your original thread, I suggested it could be dry socket. You should never be hesitant to call your doctor or dentist when a procedure is causing you pain. The fact that the packing didn't last a day would certainly be reason to call. I hope you feel better soon.

JJsMom126089846619911 PostsRegistered 10/25/2007
Ouch. It hurt me to read your post. I had dry socket, but mine was not that painful and didn't require meds. It just left a big gaping hole for the longest time. Yes, please contact your dentist and get well soon.

KatherineW126089955728130 PostsRegistered 3/16/2009Alabamian by Birth; Southern By The Grace of God
This sure brings back bad memories. It actually hurt to breathe when I had a DS. Took a long time to heal over. Clove stuff was great!
There has got to be a better way to protect that delicate blood clot that forms and begins the healing process.
--
God Bless America!!

Page 1 of 2