Dooney Days
91 Members and 16373 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Yorkies

Started 1311325296.757 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1311476444.703 by catlvr

Hi, I know there are many dog lovers out here so I wanted to see if any of you can give me real info. Not just what a breeder will say. I have two shih tzu's I just love. I also find Yorkies really cute and have thought about getting one. I have allergies so these breeds are good for me.

Are yorkies barkers? Or can you get one that isn't a constant barker? What is their temperament like? Easy going or hyper? Health issues Whatever you can tell me about this breed I'd appreciate it. The shih tzu is a great dog. I got both at different times from the same breeder. I trust her and my dogs have been great. But I have always thought Yorkies are so adorable I would love to get one. My shih tzu's would enjoy a new face too. Any help, thank you{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Page 1 of 1
CrazyDaisy1311326312.251944 PostsRegistered 6/19/2008

Every dog is different. If you are concerned about the personality fitting into you current household, I would suggest going through a rescue group. When a dog is in a foster home, the rescue is evaluating the dog and will help you find the best one for your situation.

Lottina1311334306.6831359 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007Georgia

Fenway, I had a little Yorkie for about 6 months. He was a sweetie but I got him when he was about 1 year old and had been trained (or not) and would run if he got out the door. This little boy named Luckie ran one time too many and got run over. Broke my heart. I don't know if you had one from the beginning and truly trained it -- if perhaps it could be depended on not to run. No excess barking though.

Fenway, I thought I remembered you as having a Sheltie. Is that one no longer with you?

Lottina

2000surviv­or1311337870.971764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
I've had my Yorkie 10 years. He's loved by all who meet him. My first in the house dog. I found him to be very intelligent, easy to train. He barks when he should, stops when I say Okay. I crate trained him, housebreaking started with puppy pads inside his crate. I got a huge crate probably big enough for a lab. Put a pad in the back, a baby crib comforter in the front. Used the pads in the house. As he got older he just naturally graduated to going outside. He minds very well, however he will wander off when outside folowing another animal, or people. For this reason and his small size (5 pounds) I never let him outside alone. I highly recommend this breed. My Mom has a Pug, my cousin breeds and shows Japanese Chins, my daughter has a Pomeranian those are the breeds I can compare with. Oh my sister has dachshound a shih tzsu (sp?). Sorry posting fast have to leave for work.

beadaholic1311340311.907920 PostsRegistered 11/21/2008
We had a yorkie for about 1 mo. I loved LEO but he really was a handful. I believe he was taken away from mom 2 soon, and he would not settle down. He pe Ed wherever and whenever, just not where he was suppose to. I gave him to my moms home asst, and we let her go for stealing, so I don't know how LEO is doing.

I'm a pretty pretty princess with a sailors mouth.

shesallthat1311340883.58710335 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005

my romeo is 4 and is not a "barker" at all - he does it when someone rings the doorbell or my son is harrasing him! he loves to make him mad because he a little dog (7 pounds) trying to act like a big dog! i crate trained him,too and he was easy to housebreak. we let him out to run around the yard and get fresh air but he doesn't like being out there too long. he will bark to let you know he wants to come back in.

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

PpprMintPa­tty1311340976.5518812 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

Hard to tell, as someone else mentioned, you don't always know what you're going to get.

I do know this, Yorkies can be very hard to potty-train(Joan Rivers even said that) and they tend to be yappers. Of course you will always find some that don't follow the general rules.

Our neighbors have one that is as mellow as can be and I've never heard him yap once.

Our dear friends have two and they are huge yappers. The 2nd one was much harder to potty train than the 1st one. I know, I was the one that potty trained them when our friends went on vaction...lol.

They can be very sweet and loving dogs, just depends upon what you're willing to accept.

~Formerly known as Danny~

BlondeBroo­ke1311342919.826728 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006

I don't own a Yorkie, but they are adorable.

We have a Shih Tzu mix who is a wonderful little dog. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Good luck with your decision! The prospect of a new addition is exciting!

~Too busy being fabulous~

Ebonysmom1311376061.793119 PostsRegistered 12/19/2006

Hi! Four adorable yorkies occupy my home. Dixie age 3 and Daisy age 1 1/2 belong to me. Max belongs to my twin daughter and Teddy belongs to the other daughter. Max is 3 1/2 and Teddy is 3 yrs old. I love them all so much and am caretaker to them all day. They run, play and sleep together each day and night. I have a hugh fenced in back yard that they love have full access to and they have their food and bed in my kitchen area and are not allowed 100% access to the rest of the house. While they are all purebred yorkies they are all so different in their personalities. They are hard to house train but I have piddle-pads for them and on the occasion that I am not home or they really have to go they will use them. I don't let them be able to go outside on their own when I am not at home. They never fight or get aggressive. One loves his ball, one loves chew toys, one loves to just be with me all the time and one just acts crazy and constantly wants to jump and play. They will all bark and will let me know for sure that someone is at the door. A couple of them are more verbal than the other two. When I am at home alone with them during the day we have a schedule and everything goes smoothly but on the weekends when my three grown children and hubby are here there seems to be a little more chaos in their routine. They can be stubborn and willful but also so loving and loyal. I cannot imagine life without them. I love them all so much I cannot explain it. They are all spoiled and we put little dresses and shirts on them and they know they are so cute! My advice for more information on yorkies is to visit www.yorkietalk.com and it is a great site to get info, talk with others, and learn all you need to know about breeders and quality of yorkies. I have always been a small dog lover and have had a westie, two bichon frises, a poodle in my lifetime. I am so very happy with my yorkies now. I would not want to trade this expierience even on a bad day for anything.

2000surviv­or1311377794.041764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
My Yorkie is a male. As a puppy he did not like being brushed daily, and would not leave the top knot in place so I keep him with what the groomer calls a modified puppy cut. In my post earlier I was rushed and did not mention his clothes. He has a Razorback T-shirt he wears during football season and a couple of goosedown vests, and one goosedown coat. With his haircut he does get cold outside in the winter. I taught him voice commands as well as hand commands. For example, if I hold my hand at him with my palm facing him he stops in his tracks, or if he is barking at the door etc he stops or will stop doing whatever it is he is doing. If I point my finger to the floor he will sit, until I give him the hand command he can get up. He has many more verbal commands he follows than hand commands. I trained him using verbal rewards and treats he only got during training. My GD was only 2 and 1/2 when I got him so I trained him to let me take food or treats out of his mouth for safety for her. That paid off one time when he took a cooky from her hand, and she took it back without an incident. His only response is to tilt his head and look at you like "why did you take it?". His registered name is Aladdin, his Mother is Cricket, his Dad is Elvis. I call him Little Man or Noodle or whatever I am thinking he is at the minute he always responds to me. Read the history on these amazing little dogs I think you will be impressed at how they came to be. Can you tell I love him dearly? They are very intelligent, mine responds very well to love and consistency on my part as to what is and is not acceptable.

Fenway1311462349.322596 PostsRegistered 2/23/2007

Thanks for all your replies! So many mixed reviews on this breed. I love my shih tzu's and know for sure what they are like. They are very very good at housetraining and are wonderful dogs. I love all dogs but have to stick wwith non shedders due to allergies. Yorkies are very cute. I will think about it and do some reading up on Yorkies. I loved the stories you girls had. Thanks

Yorkieowner1311469784.17305 PostsRegistered 8/29/2010

I have a Yorkie (yorshire terrier) and a shih tzu! They are both males three years old now. And they are like brothers. We got them when they were four months old. My Yorkie is the smartest dog out there. However, my shih tzu is not as smart. My yorkie doesn't bark much, only when he is at the groomers' (when he is placed in the create after his done being groomed and is waiting for me). My shih tzu, on the contrary, only barks when he hears thunder and loud noise. He is very content all the time. Two different temperaments, but they are both lovable.

Last edited on 7/23/2011

Last edited on 7/23/2011

Tayler

polar1311470922.882704 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I've always thought they were so cute until two of them bit me. They are terriers and do bite. At least the ones I have met. I hope it is not true. My Maltese has never had an accident in the house and was so easy to potty train but what a barker. A box of chocolates.

Last edited on 7/23/2011

Last edited on 7/23/2011

colliemom31311471359.19316384 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I see many people here have shih tzus, so I am going to ask a question. They are so cute, but my neighbor has one that's got a horrible temperament. I'm wondering if it's something she's done because I've always heard such great things about them. Anyone?

2000surviv­or1311472422.041764 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008Arkansas
My Yorkie has never even snapped at anyone much less actually bit someone! I believe it all comes back to training. When he was a pup and teething he was not allowed to chew on me or my things period. Snapping, biting is one reason I taught him to let people take food, treats, anything out of his mouth. Another advantage to that was if he got something he should not have because it could harm him it was simple to get it. Yorkies don't have fur, they have hair like people therefore no shedding. They require brushing daily or every other day, I bathe my baby two maybe three times a week. Their hair will grow extremely long and mat like crazy if not properly cared for. Another good reason for a puppy cut if you are not planning to show a Yorkie. Oh, he is a good mouser, he will kill a mouse and bring it to me just like a cat! Found that out one winter when we lived near some woods. mouser, he will kill a mouse and bring it to

isaboo1311473065.551862 PostsRegistered 3/6/2007Texas

I have had yorkies for the past 20 years. Right now I have two - and they are as different as night and day. Each Yorkie I've had have had the cutest personalities ever and they are very smart! I don't think you can go wrong if that is what you choose.

azterry1311475650.0376341 PostsRegistered 3/31/2008valley of the sun, AZ

I had two Yorkie male littermates. They were rescues so I got them when they were adults. They are typical terriers in that they have huge personalities and as another poster said, can be quite willful.

Mine were not yappers because I did not let them. My neighbor has two right now and they yap constantly, but I don't think they are disciplined much.

You have to establish yourself as the boss very early on with terriers. they are very intelligent,so that creates challenges with training. You have to keep them busy or they bounce off the walls. Mine loved to play fetch. One of them loved his ball so much he would bring it to his food bowl and drop it in so he could keep an eye on it.

I had a dog door so they were free to go outside any time they needed to. Unfortunately, they were also "revenge" pee-ers too. Once in awhile, if I was gone too long they would let me know it by leaving a puddle.

At the time I took them in, I also had a 75 pound retired Greyhound. They all got along very well.

I've always been more of a big dog person, but my Yorkies were a lot of fun and lucky for me, loved people. When I would entertain, they were in the midst of it and when they got tired, they would just pick a lap to curl up on.

When I get tired of shopping, I sit down and try on shoes~

catlvr1311476444.6975827 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005
On 7/22/2011 Lottina said:

Fenway, I had a little Yorkie for about 6 months. He was a sweetie but I got him when he was about 1 year old and had been trained (or not) and would run if he got out the door. This little boy named Luckie ran one time too many and got run over. Broke my heart. I don't know if you had one from the beginning and truly trained it -- if perhaps it could be depended on not to run. No excess barking though.

Fenway, I thought I remembered you as having a Sheltie. Is that one no longer with you?

Hi Fenway, I remember your sheltie too. Weren't you trying to adopt it out? How did you make out with that?

catlvr

Page 1 of 1