Boot Boutique
34 Members and 10762 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Can starving cure diabetes?

Started 1309203630.543 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1309856531.81 by pearllady

Scientists in Britain say that they cured patients of type 2 diabetes by starving them for 2 months. Their patients ate an average of 600 calories a day and lost an average of 33 pounds. After that, no sign of diabetes!

The study involved a group of 11 patients with type 2 diabetes. Researchers say that the results were pretty dramatic.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
PurpleBunny1309203706.89739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

I would think starving long enough would cure just about anything.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

Deviant11309203716.12935 PostsRegistered 5/27/2008

Probably. Everything you put in your mouth has an abundance of carbs and sugar. Both are big no no's for diabetics.

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Last edited on 6/27/2011

"Guess what?! I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

AmNiLi1309204513.22735 PostsRegistered 12/10/2009Born in NY, living in MA

Once they start eating normal meals again wont it eventually come back?

*~Amanda~*
32/F, Married, 2 daughters

Jupiter13092045185243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida

IMO, unless they change their lifestyle and food choices, it might be gone for now, but who knows for how long? Young children are now getting type 2 diabetes because of all the junk food that they consume.

Starving is just a much faster way of ridding the body of all that harmful food. Now it is up to them to stay on the right track.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

CLEM1309204519.94712523 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

Yes, and it has been prooven that prople being starved end up dead; hence no more diabetes

Deviant11309204923.963935 PostsRegistered 5/27/2008

I believe the weight is the issue AmLi, not the food itself. That and lack of exercise. A lot of diabetics that are overweight have the gastric bypass done and apparently it goes away after the weight loss. However, I would have to think they would have to watch what the eat so that it doesn't come back.

Deviant11309204964.227935 PostsRegistered 5/27/2008
On 6/27/2011 CLEM said:

Yes, and it has been prooven that prople being starved end up dead; hence no more diabetes

600 calories a day is not starving, CLEM. Guess you missed that part.

Noel71309204987.6534868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/27/2011 Jupiter said:

IMO, unless they change their lifestyle and food choices, it might be gone for now, but who knows for how long? Young children are now getting type 2 diabetes because of all the junk food that they consume.

Starving is just a much faster way of ridding the body of all that harmful food. Now it is up to them to stay on the right track.

Are you aware that there are genetic factors that play a role in both Diabetes 1 and 2?

And that lifestyle and food choices are not always a culprit?

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Last edited on 6/27/2011

"Oh, mother country, I do love you."
John Stewart

Jupiter1309205614.525243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
On 6/27/2011 Noel7 said:

Are you aware that there are genetic factors that play a role in both Diabetes 1 and 2?

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Yes, but the vast majority of new cases, in recent years, are due to food choices and overeating, especially eating too much sugar.

My father had type 2 diabetes due to his sugar addiction. He was always stuffing his face with sweets of all kinds, ice cream, cake, pie, and became diabetic at around 40. When the doctor put him on an extremely restrictive diet, he lost so much weight so quickly, and the diabetes became much more manageable.

Noel71309205770.2334868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

Type 1 diabetes

Type 1 Diabetes is autoimmune disease that affects 0.3% on average. It is result of destruction of beta cells due to aggressive nature of cells present in the body. Researchers believe that some of the Etiology and Risk factors which may trigger type 1 diabetes may be genetic, poor diet (malnutrition) and environment (virus affecting pancreas). Secondly, in most of the cases, diabetes occurs because there is abnormal secretion of some hormones in blood which act as antagonists to insulin. Example- Adrenocortical hormone, Adrenaline hormone and Thyroid hormone.

Type 2 diabetes

Type 2 Diabetes is also called non insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) or adult-onset diabetes. It occurs when the body produces enough insulin but cannot utilize it effectively. This type of diabetes usually develops in middle age. A general observation says that about 90-95 % of people suffering with diabetes are type 2; about 80 percent are overweight. It is more common among people who are older; obese; have a family history of diabetes; have had gestational diabetes. There are number of risk factors found to be responsible for type 2 diabetes like, the more the Etiology and Risk factors carried by an individual, the higher the risk for developing diabetes.

http://diabetesinformationhub.com/WhatCausesDiabetes.php

John Stewart

SarahW1309205774.416146 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

There is no cure for diabetes. You may control the symptoms and glucose level with diet and exercise, but you will always have diabetes. Once those people return to their "normal" eating/lifestyle patterns, their symptoms will return. (Yes, I am diabetic.)

Noel71309205950.5334868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/27/2011 SarahW said:

There is no cure for diabetes. You may control the symptoms and glucose level with diet and exercise, but you will always have diabetes. Once those people return to their "normal" eating/lifestyle patterns, their symptoms will return. (Yes, I am diabetic.)

Yes, there is no cure.

I'm concerned that people who don't know what they're doing will pay attention to this claim that starving can cure diabetes and will end up hospitalized with a hypoglycemic coma.

John Stewart

LipstickDi­va1309206197.9337863 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio
On 6/27/2011 Noel7 said:

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Yes, but the vast majority of new cases, in recent years, are due to food choices and overeating, especially eating too much sugar.

My father had type 2 diabetes due to his sugar addiction. He was always stuffing his face with sweets of all kinds, ice cream, cake, pie, and became diabetic at around 40. When the doctor put him on an extremely restrictive diet, he lost so much weight so quickly, and the diabetes became much more manageable.

Diabetics watch their carbs, not sugar.

I would venture to guess that the main reason the diabetes is under control in that study is because of the weight loss.

That study sounds very off and very nuts.

You can't buy love but you can adopt it. Adopt, don't shop.

GrannySher­ry1309207137.26720 PostsRegistered 1/26/2010Proud So. Cal. South Bay native now in WA state

I'm a type 2 and it sounds totally STUPID.

ennui1309207220.76719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 6/27/2011 AmNiLi said:

Once they start eating normal meals again wont it eventually come back?

I think the article said they tracked the people for a few months, and they kept most of the weight off and the diabetes did not return.

Before people start yelling about 'no cure,' they should read the study.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

LipstickDi­va1309207278.78337863 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

The study involved 11 people?

Jupiter1309207279.3735243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida

Queen of Posts,

Am I mistaken or don't white carbs turn into sugar in the body? The doctor took my father off of all WHITE carbs, such as white rice, white, bleached flour, etc. and put him on whole carbs.

GrannySher­ry1309207287.176720 PostsRegistered 1/26/2010Proud So. Cal. South Bay native now in WA state

I'll pass, thanks.

LipstickDi­va1309207623.92737863 PostsRegistered 4/22/2005On the Lake in Ohio

Queen of Posts,

Am I mistaken or don't white carbs turn into sugar in the body? The doctor took my father off of all WHITE carbs, such as white rice, white, bleached flour, etc. and put him on whole carbs.

The point is that back in the "old days" so to speak, if one was diagnosed with diabetes, they watched their sugar intake only. I remember having relatives who couldn't eat certain things or they baked using sweet and low, etc.

When DH was diagnosed less than a year ago and we attended a nutrition class, I learned to look at carbs, not sugar.

He is allowed X amount of carbs per meal and per snack. He was not taken off all white carbs and does eat them still but in the amount he's supposed to per his eating plan. Certainly the whole grains would be better for him but it's still carbs and he'd still have to watch. But he doesn't like them and it's pointless to try and force him to eat bread, buns, etc. that he doesn't like. He's done very well with his testing so we're not going to change anything.

I'm certainly not going to rule out that advances could be made in diabetes research because so much has been done. As I said, look at what I posted above about watching sugar.

11 people just seems like an awfully slim study to me.

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Last edited on 6/27/2011

Hooty1309207935.66718674 PostsRegistered 9/4/2006~Sweet Home Alabama~
On 6/27/2011 PurpleBunny said:

I would think starving long enough would cure just about anything.{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Yeah, because you would be DEAD!!! All your problems solved!

Love Roses1309208587.91710258 PostsRegistered 1/10/2007

People who are overweight are instructed to loose weight for diabetes so maybe some weight loss would help lower the numbers. Starving? I would think that other parts of the body would suffer some damage or harm.

Never Forget - The Native American Indian Holocausts!

ratdog1111309208776.13314924 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

Scientists in Britain say that they cured patients of type 2 diabetes by starving them for 2 months. Their patients ate an average of 600 calories a day and lost an average of 33 pounds. After that, no sign of diabetes!

The study involved a group of 11 patients with type 2 diabetes. Researchers say that the results were pretty dramatic.

Wow you mean these geniuses put people on strcit diets causing them to lose weight and resolve their type II diabetes! Amazing! We never knew this could happen in overweight people with type II diabetes! (Sarcasm)

Jupiter1309208892.835243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
On 6/27/2011 Queen of Posts said:

Queen of Posts,

The point is that back in the "old days" so to speak, if one was diagnosed with diabetes, they watched their sugar intake only. I remember having relatives who couldn't eat certain things or they baked using sweet and low, etc.

When DH was diagnosed less than a year ago and we attended a nutrition class, I learned to look at carbs, not sugar.

He is allowed X amount of carbs per meal and per snack. He was not taken off all white carbs and does eat them still but in the amount he's supposed to per his eating plan. Certainly the whole grains would be better for him but it's still carbs and he'd still have to watch. But he doesn't like them and it's pointless to try and force him to eat bread, buns, etc. that he doesn't like. He's done very well with his testing so we're not going to change anything.

I'm certainly not going to rule out that advances could be made in diabetes research because so much has been done. As I said, look at what I posted above about watching sugar.

Last edited on 6/27/2011

I agree about the size of the study, but maybe they wanted to make sure that they could totally control the group, and it was easier to do it with a smaller number of people?

My father's diabetes was caught too late and it led to HORRIBLE consequences. He had to have a quadruple by-pass, got bad eye problems and problems with his hands. The sooner it is caught, the better.

Good luck to your husband. I hope that he decides to give whole grains a try. I make great pancakes with buckwheat flour and ground flax seeds, which are both whole grains. Brown rice is great when you add some herbs and spices to it. Smile

Noel71309215606.70334868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007
On 6/27/2011 Queen of Posts said:

Queen of Posts,

Last edited on 6/27/2011

I agree about the size of the study, but maybe they wanted to make sure that they could totally control the group, and it was easier to do it with a smaller number of people?

My father's diabetes was caught too late and it led to HORRIBLE consequences. He had to have a quadruple by-pass, got bad eye problems and problems with his hands. The sooner it is caught, the better.

Good luck to your husband. I hope that he decides to give whole grains a try. I make great pancakes with buckwheat flour and ground flax seeds, which are both whole grains. Brown rice is great when you add some herbs and spices to it. Smile

Diabetes 2 runs in DH's family. Not a one of them is overweight at all, and that includes DH. He also works out at the gym, eats heart healthy foods along with me and follows the Mediterranean diet like I do.

The latter is not a weight loss diet, but is considered the healthiest food plan there is, and stresses whole grains, veg and fruit.

He's also quite a walker... always has been.

He still has diabetes.

John Stewart

clemintine1309215737.01718221 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

not diabetic, but losing 33 lbs in 2 months isn't such a great idea (or is it{#emotions_dlg.glare})

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next