Creede Silver Sale
21 Members and 11719 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Neighbors' cats leaving dead mice in my yard, porch, etc.!!!!

Started 1306162304.93 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1306336485.27 by Jannabelle

I am absolutely fuming MAD!!!!! Some of you may remember the thread I posted a couple of years ago about finding mice in my car. I AM TERRIFIED OF MICE....dead or alive!!!! I HATE them.....more than snakes or spiders or anything else. Anyhow, I am now convinced that the neighbors cats are to blame for the mice in my car!

I have since found dead mice twice right behind my back tire of my car, on my back steps and in my yard!!!! I am horrified at the sight of them!!! The neighbors' cats are over here all the time.....in my yard, on my front porch, back porch, and lying underneath my car!!! I am sick of it! I believe they were playing with a mouse (or trying to kill it) while underneath my car, and the mouse got free and ran up under the hood of my car!!! I know the cats are to blame! I am fed up!!!! I don't know what to do! My neighbor is truly mentally unstable, and DH and I always keep quiet about such things, always trying to avoid a confrontation, but something has got to be done. I can't even imagine the consequences if the tables were turned! There would be war!

I am sick and tired of having cats over here.....peeing under my front porch and especially brining me their little presents!!! Can someone please tell me how to keep these cats away from my house? Thanks so much!

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
Topaz Gem1306162621.10315925 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007Scenic New Hampshire

As terrible as it sounds, when a kitty brings you a present, it is an honor. I know how disgusting it is to find a dismembered animal at your doorstep, but I've heard that you should never scold the kitty. In their world, it is the highest form of a compliment.

The kitty must really like you. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~ Albert Camus

di-mc1306163033.187430 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

They LOVE you! Kiss

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Stepping S­tone1306163145.12761 PostsRegistered 4/8/2010AL

Its' true, the kitties must like you. Mine are the same way, I opened the front door to dead snakes, small rabbits, chipmunks, moles, mice and even lg. rats. I could certainly do without these too.

Just try shooing them away everytime you see them and eliminate places that they want to scratch in. I'm sorry they are bothering you.

Stepping Stone

Marp1306164172.39713480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Be careful what you wish for! Trust me, the kitties do not travel far to find, capture, kill and deliver their precious little gifts. Most likely they are finding them in your and/or your neighbor's yard. Would you prefer knowing that you could come face to face with a live mouse?

You might be (remotely) correct about the mice getting into your car because of the cats but it is much more likely that the cats are attracted to the area of the car because that is where the mice are and possibly nesting.

Without the cats practicing rodent control you will have many more live mice to worry about and it is just a matter of time before you have them in your house. The adage of if you see one mouse you have a lot more is based in fact; this applies whether the mouse you see is dead or alive.

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

Hildegarde­ Withers1306164327.3623360 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/450615339/Those-Darn-Cats-LG-Logo_bigger.PNG

Krimpette1306164397.38710012 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

Not only do they "like" you, but they're providing such a wonderful service to you!!!!! It seems there are a lot of mice in your neighborhood that might otherwise find their way into your home, as others have pointed out.

I never had mine bring me mice, but in the fall, I used to get crickets in the house. My cats would torment them and pull off their legs. Then they would bring me the carcass!!!! Lovely. But I always knew I should feel honored! And to be truthful, I appreciated them taking care of the crickets!!!!

straitgirl1306164481.6921499 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

Cats can run loose & this is the price we pay. I am lucky & only have one stray that someone left four or more years ago. It stays away from my yard & dogs. You may have a nest in your car. I had one once that chewed my wires. Other than catching them & calling animal control you may just have to wait till they move on.

september1306164808.3817134 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

The cats are likely hanging around your car because the mice are there...not vice versa as you claimed.

And as an added bonus, they're killing the mice for you, which is a good thing. Mice can cause a lot of damage to the wiring, insulation, and other parts of your car.

It might be disgusting to find a dead one, but that's better than having live ones causing you all kinds of trouble.

sue981306164857.173671 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
On 5/23/2011 funtoscrap said:

Not only do they "like" you, but they're providing such a wonderful service to you!!!!! It seems there are a lot of mice in your neighborhood that might otherwise find their way into your home, as others have pointed out.

I never had mine bring me mice, but in the fall, I used to get crickets in the house. My cats would torment them and pull off their legs. Then they would bring me the carcass!!!! Lovely. But I always knew I should feel honored! And to be truthful, I appreciated them taking care of the crickets!!!!

I'm not so sure about them providing a wonderful service to me! As I said, I believe they are the reason I ended up with mice in my car that sits in our driveway! They were chewing on things under the hood, too.

Also, I didn't mention this earlier, but I have lived in my house for 22 yrs., and I have never had problems with mice. DH goes all around the house each fall and inspects for cracks, etc. in the foundation. I didn't have a problem until...........about 2 yrs. ago when we got a mouse in our upstairs bedroom. Again, I am convinced the neighbors cats are to blame. They are always on our front porch, and after finding the mouse in our bedroom, DH looked and found where the mouse may have gotten into the house by the front door. He plugged it with tin foil, and we have not had a problem since. I know those darn cats brought a mouse up onto my front porch, and it got loose and found the hole by the doorway!

I

september1306164986.80717134 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

Oh, and by the way, we as well as many of our neighbors have had rodent damage done to cars left parked outdoors. We don't have any outdoor cats here.

BlondeBroo­ke1306165068.4136719 PostsRegistered 12/23/2006

That is very a positive sign when cat brings you a "present".

I hope you don't go poisoning these cats or doing something extreme like that.

Last edited on 5/23/2011

Last edited on 5/23/2011

~Too busy being fabulous~

SeaGal1306165105.1812895 PostsRegistered 6/5/2007

I agree, the kitty likes you!

I have a funny story, years ago while we were renting a house before we purchased this one we had hubby's dad and stepmom come across the mts. to visit us. One morning after I woke my stepMIL was telling me we had a dead mouse in the house and the FIL had thrown it out in the yard, she was just freaked. I looked out the window and saw the paper towel out there, went to put it in the trash and it was my cats fuzzy mouse toy!!! Have you ever seen those that have real mouse like fur and the same size as a real field mousie!

Thats been 25+ yrs and I still chuckel about that!!! It was tooo funny lol...

2013 NFL Champion Seahawks

Go Hawks!

Marp1306165138.66313480 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western NC

Sue,

Since it is apparent that you are adamant about blaming the cats for your mouse problem rather than laying the blame for the cat problem on the mice all I can suggest is keep a hose handy and squirt the cats whenever and wherever you see them. Eventually they will get the message and find some other place to stay and mouse.

When the time comes that you can't walk out your door without seeing mice scurry please come back and we will give you suggestions for getting rid of a mouse infestation, starting with getting a cat!

A dog chasing his tail eventually bites himself.

CardinalGi­rl_1306167263.6676703 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

Does your city have an ordinance against allowing pets to roam freely? Mayb you should call the Animal Control Officer.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

claudia__a­nne1306167541.7612395 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010
On 5/23/2011 Marp said:

Sue,

Since it is apparent that you are adamant about blaming the cats for your mouse problem rather than laying the blame for the cat problem on the mice all I can suggest is keep a hose handy and squirt the cats whenever and wherever you see them. Eventually they will get the message and find some other place to stay and mouse.

When the time comes that you can't walk out your door without seeing mice scurry please come back and we will give you suggestions for getting rid of a mouse infestation, starting with getting a cat!

This cracked me up!

Seems that Sue thinks the mice are coming to her house because of the cats. LOL! Uh, NOT!

The cats are protection her house from the mice.

occasional­ rain1306168200.00716951 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

I don't think it's your neighbor who is mentally unstable. You are way over the top in your hysterical response to mice. Aren't you the same poster who had your husband take the dash apart and still wouldn't drive your car? Then to insist that the cats brought your mouse infestation is just ridiculous.

The cats are drawn to your area because of the supply of mice. When the mice population goes down the cats will go somewhere else.

I doubt the cats chased the mouse into your car. More likely the mouse was looking for a warm place to put her nest and your car seemed to fit the bill. It's not at all unusual to find a mouse nest under the hood of a car.

shesallthat1306169650.54310059 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005
On 5/23/2011 Marp said:

Sue,

oh lawd!!!!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

and ITA - the mice are NOT coming to her house because of the cats!! the cats are not the problem. i don't know why but i am very afraid for those poor cats now.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

sue981306170412.5533671 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
On 5/23/2011 occasional rain said:

I don't think it's your neighbor who is mentally unstable. You are way over the top in your hysterical response to mice. Aren't you the same poster who had your husband take the dash apart and still wouldn't drive your car? Then to insist that the cats brought your mouse infestation is just ridiculous.

The cats are drawn to your area because of the supply of mice. When the mice population goes down the cats will go somewhere else.

I doubt the cats chased the mouse into your car. More likely the mouse was looking for a warm place to put her nest and your car seemed to fit the bill. It's not at all unusual to find a mouse nest under the hood of a car.

Here we go..................Yes, I MUST be mentally unstable because I am so terrified of mice! Hmmm..........I do believe I have read here on the boards about others being terrified of mice also.

Since so many of you are convinced the cats are not a problem, can someone please explain to me how, in 22 years, I never saw a mouse (dead or alive) in my yard, in my house, or anywhere near it until the neighbors got cats?????

I'm sorry but I don't believe being terrified of mice makes me crazy. I know there are other people who feel the same way, and I know a lot of people who are just as afraid of spiders and snakes. Does that make them crazy? I think not!

It seems like I've been getting a lot of negative responses to my posts lately. I don't post that often, but maybe it's just time for me to leave the boards, as my skin just doesn't seem to be thick enough!

Krimpette1306170746.5610012 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

Sue98: I don't think folks are truly trying to offend you or upset you. It just doesn't make sense to many of us that cats are even capable of bringing mice into an area. It does sound like your neighborhood has a mice problem of some sort. Most typically, cats will take care of that problem quite efficiently. Sadly, in your case, it appears that the cat(s) like you and are "honoring" you with their "kill".

My niece lives out in the country. They have a barn. When they first built the barn, they got a couple cats to keep the mice population down.

How do get rid of the mice problem without the "services" of a cat? Sorry, I don't have an answer for that.

I understand your fear. I cannot even look at a picture of a snake. Sorry if my post offended you in any way.

Maggie Nol­ia1306170798.24714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

Unless you would prefer live mice, you should be thanking the cats for lowering the mice population. The cats are finding the mice on your property.

Last edited on 5/23/2011

Last edited on 5/23/2011

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

shesallthat1306171038.4210059 PostsRegistered 4/4/2005
On 5/23/2011 sue98 said:

Since so many of you are convinced the cats are not a problem, can someone please explain to me how, in 22 years, I never saw a mouse (dead or alive) in my yard, in my house, or anywhere near it until the neighbors got cats?????

there is your answer right there. i have known people who would have sworn they have never seen or heard of a mouse in their home but they suddenly appeared when they got a cat. they were there.

she said: "that's alot of money to spend on a purse!" and i instantly knew we could not be friends.

SeaGal1306171223.95712895 PostsRegistered 6/5/2007

Sue, let me assure you, the mice are way more afraid of you then you are of them.

Last edited on 5/23/2011

Last edited on 5/23/2011

2013 NFL Champion Seahawks

Go Hawks!

Maggie Nol­ia1306171351.77714669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 5/23/2011 sue98 said:

So you think mice go wherever cats are??? Cats attract mice??? Really???

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

sue981306172522.133671 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007
On 5/23/2011 Maggie Nolia said:
On 5/23/2011 sue98 said:

So you think mice go wherever cats are??? Cats attract mice??? Really???

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

To answer your question............NO, I don't think that mice go wherever cats are! I'm not sure what I said to indicate that. What I do believe is that the cats are most definitely leaving dead mice in my yard and on my porch. Am I positive that none of these mice were originally on my property? No, not necessarily, but I'm also not convinced that some of these mice didn't come from my neighbors house to begin with. Did I mention the only thing separating my neighbors' lawn from ours is our narrow driveway? We live very close to one another..........only a matter of feet!

And to those of you who are so "fearful" of these "poor" cats' safety, I can assure you I would NEVER do anything to harm them! I don't choose to own cats for a number of reasons!!! Why on earth would I want someone else's cats all over my porch furniture, leaving their presents on my property, and why should I have to smell cat urine while trying to eat dinner (or even just sitting) on my back or front porch? I think it is safe to assume most of you wouldn't appreciate it either!

Amaly1306173066.173538 PostsRegistered 8/23/2008

D-Con or mousetraps.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next