Shoes & Handbags Offers
126 Members and 12014 Guests Online

Viewpoints

How should this be listed on resume?

Started 1303922610.213 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1304012946.427 by chrystaltree
replies

I could use some suggestions here...what is the best way to list your part-time/unrelated job on your resume? I currently have it listed as my "current" employment before my other full-time jobs, however, I'm wondering if that's wrong. I've been told different things by different people. I've re-worded and changed it so many times, I don't know what to think anymore. I haven't sent out any resumes in the last 2 months (the job market is really THAT BAD). I'm still at my retail job that I surprisingly landed at Christmas (they had asked me if I'd like to stay on for a while longer). Of course I said yes, and I am still working there part-time, however, I desperately need a full-time job again. I want to show that I'm working, but at the same time, I don't want them to zoom in on the retail and think that I can't get a job in my former area of work. Do you know what I mean? It's so hard out there...companies are tougher and stricter when it comes to what they want. What most of them want are direct/exact matches to the job...you must jump through all the hoops perfectly (now more than ever) or you will be eliminated before the first interview. With all the people who are out of work, they know there are a lot of people to choose from the unemployment pool. Just so burned out by all of it! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 1
The_Black_­Cat1303923484.87963 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007Raleigh, NC

Take the retail job off, esp if It's part-time. If you get an interview somewhere, they will ask what you've been up to since you lost your last full-time position.

funinthesun1303923777.857305 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006Colorado

I would take it off as well if it's part time. I don't think employers are that surprised to see someone currently unemployed. It used to be a red flag but the opposite is true now.

ratdog1111303925263.34714924 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

I don't see how it would make any difference. Current potential employers KNOW the job market is tough and that people must work to pay bills.

qvcfreak1303926148.8035741 PostsRegistered 3/14/2005

I wouldn't take it off, I would list it as my job from ??? to present and specify it is a part time. During the interview you can elaborate how it was a part time job for the holidays and they asked you to stay longer which reflects you are a good and reliable person.

VCamp27481303926539.246768 PostsRegistered 4/20/2006

You didn't mention what type of "real" job you're seeking, but can't you relate duties in the retail work to what you're trying to get? In other words & as an example, working the sales floor at a department store certainly requires (1) professional appearance/demeanor, (2) outstanding communications skills (every employer wants that), (3) attention to detail, (4) multi-tasking skills, (5) organizational skills (keeping the racks & shelves tidy), (6) punctuality, (7) excellent attendance record, (8) honesty & integrity, (9) outstanding ability to work as part of a team, etc etc

Good luck!!!!

redtabby1303927820.1773656 PostsRegistered 8/18/2005

Keep it on your resume. I have seen articles about companies, even in this time of high unemployment, that will not interview people that are not currently working. I don't understand the logic, but that is what is going on. The job market is a buyer's market right now and they can call the shots - so they can use arbitrary rules such as currently working and they can demand your social security number at the time of application.

One other thought, you should be modifying your resume for each job that you apply for, that is the great thing about computers. Each resume can be tailored for the individual job.

happy hous­ewife1303927886.72330797 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

IMO the most important thing for a resume to be is honest. Since you are currently working retail parttime then that is what you should write. If they are curious about why they will ask you. You are at least showing that your working and not sitting around on your duff waiting, and that would make a good impression.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

LeoGrl1304011934.2372093 PostsRegistered 9/17/2007

Thanks everyone for your responses! I see that the advice varies, and that's okay. I've been going back and forth about this myself (gettting different advice from different people). I think I'm going to stick with keeping it on. I believe that I can play up my part-time job and transition it to my former work experience...it shouldn't be too difficult. I was just worried about it hurting my chances in some way.

I think I'm just so burned out by the whole process...it's really been getting to me. At this point, it's pretty much a "job lottery" out there...after sending in your resume, you just hope and pray someone picks it out and gives you a call. And the online application process is insane!!! Some of these places are just ridiculous. For as great as the computer is, it's becoming one of the worst things for job seekers due to this online app process. A large majority of companies want it done online which usually causes a whole set of problems (especially with formatting). I spent over an hour doing just one last night...I got knocked off twice because it was timed due to inactivity (I had some info missing that I had to look for so I was away from the computer). Anyway, after re-doing things over twice, I finally submitted it. I realize companies are being inundated with resumes, etc., but I wish they'd make the process easier and less time consuming. I also wish they would not request so much information that's mostly not needed in the early stage...some of this stuff should be asked for if/when you actually get the interview and they're interested in you...not before. Sorry for the rant...it's just one of those days {#emotions_dlg.sad}

chrystaltr­ee1304012946.42311996 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

List it only if you are applying for retail jobs. It your part time job is irrelevant to the job you are applying for, leave it off. Remember. A resume should be short (one page) and relevant to a specific job. I'm a manager and I review hundreds of resumes a year. If they are too "wordy", more than 2 pages, I chuck them out. I don't have time to sift through a lot of irrelevant gibberish. Also If you are 50, I don't care what jobs you had in the 70's. You should only go back 10 or 12 years. The 80's might have been fun years but no one cares. You are so right when you say that companies want exact matches to the job requirements. That's why a single resume is insufficient. The basics won't change but you should adjust your resume for each job you apply for. Don't list extra curriculars and clubs and only list volunteer work if it directly applies to a job you want. You would not believe what I see on resumes now! Many qualified applicants lose out because they bad resumes. Be sure you have somone proof read it for typos, one typo and the resume is tossed out. Those of us who are hiring people do not care about the job market or the economy. We only care about the job we are trying to fill. Also if you are applying for a specific job, send your resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Dept and also to the manager or director of the dept. HR receives hundreds of resumes a month, my boss received a handful of them. She received the woman's resume and passed it along to me and I eventually hired her. The one she sent to HR is probably still in a pile on someone's desk.

Page 1 of 1