Keurig Offer
121 Members and 11272 Guests Online

Viewpoints

For people who do not like Oprah- I ask --- why?

Started 1302465156.65 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1303420297.42 by teathyme

Just curious what is is about her that some people can not stand her. I find her interesting- intelligent- wise and enjoy her interviews. I like that she is human with faults even though famous. I almost wonder if some of the haters hate her because she is a filthy rich Billionaire. Of course they would not say that is why- but it could be an underlying jealousy of sorts. To me she earned every dollar and deserves the good life now. I hope this thread is interesting to read and not just a bash on Oprah.

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next
YupurrsX31302465646.851879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there

Here is the God's honest truth. You want the truth? I'll give you the truth.

Am I jealouse of Oprah and of all of her money? No.

I'll tell you exactly why I do not care for her.

She is full of herself. She is arrogant and pompous. Big me, big me.

Good for her that she came from nothing and made a name for herself. But seeing her everywhere I turn gets real old, real fast.

People hang on her every word, like she is A God. Don't believe me? Just look at her "My Favorite Things" and her book club, and how everybody rushes out to buy it just because and ONLY because it has the "Oprah Stamp of Approval".

She could say that the Chesapeak crab cakes that the Q sells are her favorite and the BEST EVER, and sales would over night skyrocket through the roof.

THAT'S why I don't care for her.

And that is the God's honest 100% truth.

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

JuJu Squee­zey1302465680.1314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

BECAUSE SHE'S ALWAYS YELLING!

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

occasional­ rain1302465722.12716915 PostsRegistered 8/21/2007

It can't be her money, I like people with money.

It's her fondness for sappy stories, Dr. Phil, that incipient Gale that I find off putting. Then there is her gullibility, being taken by people like those at that school she has in Africa.

I can't say that I dislike her, it's that I don't particularly like her.

Subject1302465911.35711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 4/10/2011 Purrs365 said:

People hang on her every word, like she is A God. Don't believe me? Just look at her "My Favorite Things" and her book club, and how everybody rushes out to buy it just because and ONLY because it has the "Oprah Stamp of Approval".

Like the DR. Oz effect. Yes, I think that is true- but- it is the fault of the people who get wrapped up so much into the idol that they are in a trance of sorts. It really is not the fault of the person looked at as a God. It is the public that causes this to happen.

mallrat1302466210.327581 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

Good for her that she came from nothing and made a name for herself. But seeing her everywhere I turn gets real old, real fast.

She could say that the Chesapeak crab cakes that the Q sells are her favorite and the BEST EVER, and sales would over night skyrocket through the roof.

Sounds like envy. Some people got it like that. To have such strong negative feelings over something you can't change is kind of silly IMO.

Karma has no menu. You get served what you deserve.

SophiaMarie1302466381.946732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

Dr. Oz - Rachel Ray - Dr. Phil - Nate Berkus - Lisa Ling

Whoever and whatever Oprah touches - turns to gold....

Now, why did she pick Rachel Ray from the Food Network and not Paula Deen or Ina Garten, etc.???? I don't get it.

Oprah has also been stung by that guy, James Frey and his book "A Million Little Pieces" and a few others who had to publicly apologize.....

James Frey had already made millions on his book by the time he was "outted".... So, he didn't lose a thing. People are still buying the book.

CLEM1302466509.67312523 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

I do not particularly care for her. Don't know why because I hardly ever watch her. Perhaps it's because I just don't care for many of the topics.

But then again, I hardly ever watch any talk shows. Find them boring.

But every once in a while when I turn on the TV and she is on, I find it interesting.

winamac11302466567.5230499 PostsRegistered 12/29/2010Indiana

I think she's incredibly well read and intelligent and philanthropic. She is always giving. I do not dislike Oprah. I just don't like her arrogance.

"Friends don't let friends...drink white zinfandel"

YupurrsX31302466958.3431879 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010Somewhere between here and there
On 4/10/2011 winamac1 said:

I think she's incredibly well read and intelligent and philanthropic. She is always giving. I do not dislike Oprah. I just don't like her arrogance.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formally Yuban3

Blackie
'95 - '11
My honey-bunny
R.I.P.

LovemyHusky1302467593.442871 PostsRegistered 3/4/2010

I agree.

catlvr1302467894.375819 PostsRegistered 5/5/2005

I'm not a "hater" of Oprah at all. I just find her pontificating on subjects she knows nothing about ie having children, being married etc annoying. If shen stuck to interviewing and not putting her stamp on every little thing I'd be fine.

catlvr

missyw11302467960.80332242 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I used to like her. (I don't hate her) I haven't watched her shows for a long time. She is just to into herself and got to powerful. I do like watching the 25th season, behind the scenes on OWN.

Last edited on 4/10/2011

Last edited on 4/10/2011

hckynut1302469144.72719422 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

newport

I won't say I do not like Oprah, I just did not like some of the things she did giving people the impression she was giving them something out of her own pocket. Many of the "gifts?" given away on her show were given by the sponsors, and she had nothing financially to do with this.

She is a great success story and worked hard for everything she has in her life, and I admire that in her. I just am not interested in watching any of her shows anymore.

hckynut(john)

nekodaisy1302469315.39762 PostsRegistered 11/13/2007Georgia

I use to like her and watch her a lot but these past few years I cannot watch more then the first few minutes. The first time she starts bellowing my skin crawls and I have to turn the channel. Even if there is someone I really want to see I can't watch. That bellowing gets on my last nerve and I don't have very many left.

SeaGal1302469947.37312794 PostsRegistered 6/5/2007

I dont hate Oprah, just burnt out on her (long ago). She should go of into the sunset, enjoy her riches and do her good deeds QUIETLY...

2013 NFL Champion Seahawks

Go Hawks!

Free2be1302470469.2410615 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006

Not everything Oprah does is wonderful or terrible. Of course she's going to be focused on what people will tune in to see and she delivers the best she can. I don't think that makes her full of herself -- I think she is an extremely driven worker and has worked as much as any three people would have to do to get where she is today.

No one can have that much success and not feel empowered nor not be at the helm of their own ship.

If she were male she would receive less criticism -- jmho.

Last edited on 4/10/2011

Last edited on 4/10/2011

"Beware the irrational, however seductive." ~ Christopher Hitchens

BouvierLady1302470505.45812 PostsRegistered 9/3/2006

I used to like her until she stopped talking and started preaching. I know she is an intelligent woman, but when she started all her lecturing about how we should improve ourselves I was done with her. I don't mind her talking about how certain things helped her, but that doesn't make her an expert on any subject except self-promotion.

I also don't like the gurus she promotes - Dr. Phil in particular.

I personally won't miss her at all when she's gone and have no plans to watch her "channel".

biancardi1302470513.24346962 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 4/10/2011 Free2be said:

Not everything Oprah does is wonderful or terrible. Of course she's going to be focused on what people will tune in to see and she delivers the best she can. I don't think that makes her full of herself -- I think she is an extremely driven worker and has worked as much as any three people would have to do to get where she is today.

No one can have that much success and not feel empowered nor not be at the helm of their own ship.

Of she were male she would receive less criticism -- jmho.

great post, Free2be

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

shamalamad­ingdong51302470673.2273313 PostsRegistered 2/12/2008
I used to watch her almost every day years ago, but for me personally, she jumped the shark. I just got tired of her. I will watch her occasionally if I know she'll be discussing a topic I'm interested in. That doesn't happen very often. It seems like she has a lot of celebs on her show. Celebs to me are a big snore.

These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter... I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.

Subject1302471810.21311269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007
On 4/10/2011 hckynut said:

newport

I won't say I do not like Oprah, I just did not like some of the things she did giving people the impression she was giving them something out of her own pocket. Many of the "gifts?" given away on her show were given by the sponsors, and she had nothing financially to do with this.

She is a great success story and worked hard for everything she has in her life, and I admire that in her. I just am not interested in watching any of her shows anymore.

It was her energy that created the possibility for all the gifts given away. She was the catalyst of sorts. It takes a catalyst to create anything to happen in this world. Her finances had nothing to do with all the giving going on. She never said SHE gave anyone anything herself. It was bigger than her and she admited to that fact.

SugarBabyJ1302471986.0232053 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008

Thank you winamac, you perfectly stated exactly how I feel.

only shops­ online1302472530.9435532 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006

I don't care for Oprah, and the way she s*ucks people into her mantras, with a phony personality. Oprah had a TV show in the Baltimore area before she moved on to the Chicago market. I knew people who knew and worked with her on several different levels. They found her to be arrogant and rude, especially to those that she considered beneath her.

You could also see this side of her personality come out when she did the road trip show with Gayle. If something didn't go her way, she lost her ability to hide her nastiness. I used to watch occasionally. But, after this series, I never watched again. She just seems to be very narcissistic to me.

She has done some good in this world, and has opened up many different avenues to her audience. However, I just don't care for her at all. And, I didn't care for her when she was not wealthy and had a local TV show.

MaggieToo1302472891.318262 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004AZ

My sentiments exactly!!!

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

princess621302474823.3731616 PostsRegistered 2/27/2007Pacific Northwest

I watched Opra years ago when she was local to the Chicago area only. She was so very funny and interesting back then. When she went national she lost her humor and got all touchy, feely and fake! I never watch her anymore as she is trying too hard.

Junebug541302475598.551545 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007

I used to love watching Oprah. That was until she became full of herself and acted like she was the second coming of Christ. I despise when people become lemmings of someone for (in my mind) not a good reason. Not saying I hate her.. but I do hate that she uses her power for reasons that will fatten her pocket book.

Last edited on 4/10/2011

Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 4 ...6Next