Spring & Summer Beauty
87 Members and 13544 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Zumba vs. Jillian Michaels Workout - TSV in April

Started 1301250304.257 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1301370138.883 by kittykatkay

I have the April issue of the QVC Insider and it states that on 7 April, the TSV will be Zumba Fitness. What is better Zumba or Jillian Michaels Workout DVDs? Isn't Zumba Fitness what Patti Riley was using and excited about?

I love to laugh and dance......

Page 1 of 2
lianne1301250602.6371699 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

Zumba is much more aerobic than the Jillian workouts. Jillian is more strength training. They are very different.

kittykatkay1301250765.9123127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Thanks Lianne. I was wondering which had better results, but I guess it depends on how dedicated you are and if you enjoy doing these workouts.

makeup add­ict1301251151.297719 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006

Zumba is fun! I've never done Jillian Michaels workout because it seemed too advanced for me. Zumba I look forward to; I can't say that about most workouts I do.

kittykatkay1301251433.82323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Thanks Makeup Addict. How long have you been doing Zumba and what results? How many DVDs?

MandaKay00­211301251486.991351 PostsRegistered 12/9/2010Knoxville, Tn
On 3/27/2011 lianne said:

Zumba is much more aerobic than the Jillian workouts. Jillian is more strength training. They are very different.

Ditto. Zumba is mainly cardio where as Jillian's works out your muscles. Zumba is more fun, IMO, but I think you get more results from Jillian's. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a workout video.

kittykatkay1301252168.38323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 3/27/2011 MandaKay0021 said:

Ditto. Zumba is mainly cardio where as Jillian's works out your muscles. Zumba is more fun, IMO, but I think you get more results from Jillian's. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a workout video.

Thanks MandaKay, I guess I'll watch the TSV on 7 April. Hope it's good and a good price!

makeup add­ict1301252819.1477719 PostsRegistered 12/27/2006
On 3/27/2011 kittykatkay said:

Thanks Makeup Addict. How long have you been doing Zumba and what results? How many DVDs?

Hi,

I've been doing it for two years. I do classes and dvds. I have the wii game as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

Results: When I was doing it faithfully, I'd lost 15 pounds, but I also changed my habits as well. I have fibro and it's worse in the winter. Now I feel like working out again, I'm back to doing the classes. :) Zumba is simple for me to do and I enjoy it. HTH

kittykatkay1301253003.5323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Thank you Makeup Addict. Sounds interesting, I'll watch the TSV on 7th and I might purchase it.

Troop_Angel1301253430.0435294 PostsRegistered 4/22/2006

Interesting that Zumba will be a TSV; must be very popular with Q customers then. I haven't done either Zumba or Jillian, but I'll definitely be watching on April 7.

Qwackertoo1301253430.659907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

Last summer I had worked up to doing 80-90 minutes of exercise per day 6x week, usually a Turbo Jam DVD (variety of sculpting and aerobic) and my treadmill. THEN I broke my ankle on vacation. So fast forward to about a month or so ago and I started back slowly on the treadmill, then back to Turbo Jam. On a whim I bought the 30 Day Shred WITH Weights by Jillian Michaels and started it on Friday. Did my 3rd workout today and the backs of my legs are a bit sore. I figure I'll do Phase 1 for 15 days and then bump it up to Phase 2 for 15 days and then hopefullly be ready for Chalean Extreme which I was about to start with my Bowflex weights before the ankle break. They are starting a Zumba class, twice weekly, at my 16 yr. old DD's dance studio in April but that is an extra 50 mile round trip drive over and above her twice weekly dance classes . . . so I think I'll just stick to my routine for now. I have heard Zumba is much more fun in a class than a dvd at home alone. I gained about 10 pounds while laid up so want to take it back off plus maybe 5 more for good measure.

Judge Jeanine Opening Statements, excellent & powerful~!!!

CBS NBC ABC FOX AP-- all no different than Pravda

lianne1301267355.7031699 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

Jillians 30 min workouts are good, but I prefer Turbo Jam and Kettlebells--much faster results. I do want to try Zumba though. I would get the set from someone on the bay or craigslist that bought it and didnt like it or use it.

kittykatkay1301267493.88323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Jillians 30 min workouts are good, but I prefer Turbo Jam and Kettlebells--much faster results. I do want to try Zumba though. I would get the set from someone on the bay or craigslist that bought it and didnt like it or use it.

That's a thought!

kittykatkay1301267547.06723127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 3/27/2011 Qwackertoo said:

Last summer I had worked up to doing 80-90 minutes of exercise per day 6x week, usually a Turbo Jam DVD (variety of sculpting and aerobic) and my treadmill. THEN I broke my ankle on vacation. So fast forward to about a month or so ago and I started back slowly on the treadmill, then back to Turbo Jam. On a whim I bought the 30 Day Shred WITH Weights by Jillian Michaels and started it on Friday. Did my 3rd workout today and the backs of my legs are a bit sore. I figure I'll do Phase 1 for 15 days and then bump it up to Phase 2 for 15 days and then hopefullly be ready for Chalean Extreme which I was about to start with my Bowflex weights before the ankle break. They are starting a Zumba class, twice weekly, at my 16 yr. old DD's dance studio in April but that is an extra 50 mile round trip drive over and above her twice weekly dance classes . . . so I think I'll just stick to my routine for now. I have heard Zumba is much more fun in a class than a dvd at home alone. I gained about 10 pounds while laid up so want to take it back off plus maybe 5 more for good measure.

Hi. Sounds like you are really devoted to your exercise. I envy your stamina. Be careful this time.

Princess_P­oo1301267746.517795 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009

I have the Wii Zumba and the Wii Jillian, and I take Zumba classes and other forms of exercise, plus ballet classes. I love doing the Zumba classes, but all they do is cardio, not much strength training, plus, if you're not careful, you can hurt your knees doing the Zumba.

The Jillian Wii is really hard, and very effective - but if you don't enjoy it, I don't think you're going to continue doing it (just my opinion). Not much cardio, but a lot of strength training. As the previous posters said, it's up to you and what you want.

Personally, for a dance cardio work out, I like the Gold Gym Dance Wii video more than the Wii Zumba.

Hope this helps.

Life is Short, Buy the Shoes

bopper1301268119.313935 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

Remember just because Jillians workouts aren't labeled "aerobic" your HR will soar doing her dvd's. Well rounded strength/cardio/abs all in 1 workout. Her workout are really good and building muscle burns calories for a much longer period of time afterward than just cardio alone.

kittykatkay1301268214.7823127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 3/27/2011 Princess_Poo said:

I have the Wii Zumba and the Wii Jillian, and I take Zumba classes and other forms of exercise, plus ballet classes. I love doing the Zumba classes, but all they do is cardio, not much strength training, plus, if you're not careful, you can hurt your knees doing the Zumba.

The Jillian Wii is really hard, and very effective - but if you don't enjoy it, I don't think you're going to continue doing it (just my opinion). Not much cardio, but a lot of strength training. As the previous posters said, it's up to you and what you want.

Personally, for a dance cardio work out, I like the Gold Gym Dance Wii video more than the Wii Zumba.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Princess Poo, it does help. Boy, you workout alot too. Wish I did.

kittykatkay1301268339.66323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 3/27/2011 bopper said:

Remember just because Jillians workouts aren't labeled "aerobic" your HR will soar doing her dvd's. Well rounded strength/cardio/abs all in 1 workout. Her workout are really good and building muscle burns calories for a much longer period of time afterward than just cardio alone.

Thank bopper, I heard Jillians was good and that alot of people only do the first or advance to the second, but not the third. I'd be lucky to make it through the first. HA.

bopper1301268568.6613935 PostsRegistered 8/5/2007

It does take time remember to graduate to the next level but doing what you can is all you can ask of yourself. Nobody is a failure, only quitting is failing. I feel when I can't do the next rep I have done all I can and I make progress that way. Some people don't like her as a trainer but she is one smart cookie and she knows her stuff. What I like is I get so much more than a cardio workout when I do her dvd's. If you want to check out any more of her workouts go to www.collagevideo.com where you can watch clips of any workout you like.

Qwackertoo1301268667.739907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006

Jillians 30 minutes Shred in 30 with weights is with the Kettlebell. I don't own one yet, using a handweight for starters . . . will be buying a Kettlebell next trip to the store. I guess they come in various sizes or maybe you can get one that you can add and take off weights. When I was at the store I saw 5, 8 & 10 but I want to get one that is more versatile.

Qwackertoo1301268823.519907 PostsRegistered 9/16/2006
On 3/27/2011 kittykatkay said:
On 3/27/2011 Qwackertoo said:

Hi. Sounds like you are really devoted to your exercise. I envy your stamina. Be careful this time.

Once I get started, I stick with it pretty faithfully 6x week. But when I fall off the exercise wagon it is hard to start up again. It helps me to have an extra calendar and mark off with BIG RED HEART's every day as I exercise and BIG RED X's on the days I don't. I HATE seeing those red X's.

kittykatkay1301268836.22723127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

It does take time remember to graduate to the next level but doing what you can is all you can ask of yourself. Nobody is a failure, only quitting is failing. I feel when I can't do the next rep I have done all I can and I make progress that way. Some people don't like her as a trainer but she is one smart cookie and she knows her stuff. What I like is I get so much more than a cardio workout when I do her dvd's. If you want to check out any more of her workouts go to www.collagevideo.com where you can watch clips of any workout you like.

Thanks bopper. I'll watch it online and that will give me a few more days before April 7 to decide between the two.

lianne1301269088.7571699 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007

I have Jillians kettlebell workout, but the best trainer is Lauren Brooks. She is a certified kettlebell instructor and follows the "proper" way to do routines--3 minutes per session and then 1 minute rest. Its great, challenging but do-able. I use 15 lb kettlebell that I got at TJ Maxx, I am looking for a 20 pounder. It sounds like a lot, but you arent using it as a weight, all the momentum really comes from your legs and core if you do it right.

Its not like that kettleworx infomercial, its the proper way to do it. Jillian's is ok, but Lauren is a real professional. I just got her second DVD and its much harder.

kelluvspip­pi261301274477.7472214 PostsRegistered 1/16/2009

you are not kidding bopper - i recently started her 30-day shred tapes and LOVE them - anyone who says there is no cardio in them has certainly not done a tape of hers - i couldn't believe how i was panting and how exhausted i was after doing only level ONE! - plus i usually run a few days per week and am in fairly good shape as it is! she combines different muscle groups for more effective calorie burn and i can definitely feel this after i am done.

kaygirl1301275873.8122 PostsRegistered 6/8/2007

I've never done Jillian's dvd but I just love Zumba. I've been anticipating the new set of dvd's. Does anyone have the code for the April TSV?

lynnsy1301276361.023995 PostsRegistered 8/29/2010

I got the zumba last time it was presented, problem is that I only have one room (excluding kitchen/bathrooms) that does not have carpet. very hard to do dance movements on carpet. The room is bedroom with mirrors, could help but keep seeing myself and laughing.. what two left feet I have. And procrastination.. I am the queen when it comes to exercise, heavens knows I have enough various dvd's. Variety is the spice of life they say! LOL

Page 1 of 2