Better Than Black Friday
58 Members and 16207 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Small Holes in Clothes Caused by Washing Machine ------Help!

Started 1300933215.09 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1300986467.443 by clemintine

I am livid. My washing machine has ruined yet another item of clothing. Tiny holes appear in our clothes after being washed. I'll bet that this machine has ruined at least 6-7 pieces of clothing in the last couple of weeks alone. Many of these items are brand new. It seems to put these holes into T-shirts and cotton shirts more often than any other item of clothing, however it has ruined two pairs of jeans also. I can't stand it anymore. By the way, I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top loading Energy Efficient machine. It is about 2 years old, and it has been nothing but trouble since the day it was purchased. The repairman has been to my house too many times to count because strange codes randomly appear, causing the machine to fail to work. The repairman told me the other day that he works on this model more often than any other Whirpool item. He confirmed that a major complaint is the holes in the clothes.

The machine cost quite a bit and is still very new, so I hate to get rid of it. After my continuous complaining, my DH agreed that I should buy another washing machine after selling this one in the paper. It will be hard for me to sell this to someone knowing what is in store for them. I don't even know what to say if someone asks why I am selling.

Anyway, I have done some research and found that many, many customers are complaining about holes in a variety of HE models and brands. The hole making seems to be a huge problem among so many different machines. My question is ----Do any of you have a washing machine that you have bought in the last year or so that does not cause holes in your clothes. I would love to know the names of some washing machines that you girls really like.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Page 1 of 2
PurpleBunny1300933305.1639232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

It's not the machine ... it's you. You are stuffing the machine too full.

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

ottowatoo1300933514.407237 PostsRegistered 8/1/2005CT

My mom always told me that the holes in clothes is caused by overloading clothes in the machine. I pass that on to my kids...they try to stuff as much as they can and it almost always results in holes....sorry....

PurpleBunny1300933701.46739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

Hey truth! Are your ears burning? I was just asking about you today!

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

kcubed1300933995.181439 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I don't stuff the machine. That can't be the problem.

FastpitchM­om1300934051.81313 PostsRegistered 4/23/2005
I have that model machine and love it- no holes in anything for me and all we wear is cotton and t-shirts. Sorry you are having such a problem.

Sister Gol­den Hair1300934117.61714610 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

I never put anything with a zipper with soft materials like t-shirts. I also make sure that the zipper is zipped. If fact, I zip then turn the garment inside out to be on the safe side. I never wash a sweater with anything that has buttons....anything that can't snag. This may not help but it's worth a try.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

jellyBEAN1300934319.8773398 PostsRegistered 6/6/2009

That's awful. I'd be upset too.

I never knew that about filling a machine too full would cause holes. How does it do that? Sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I feel your frustration.

57babe1300934419.3178638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010

You should get a subscription to Consumer Reports and it will help you decide on which new washing machine to get. Consumer Reports cost about $30 a year and it is well worth the money and here's why:

I was in the market for a new washer and dryer and I was shown the Whirlpool Cabrio, but I went home and researched it online with Consumer Reports and found that there were many complaints about it.

I bought a GE frontloader washer and matching dryer that was given very high ratings in Consumer Reports. They work beautifully.

If I were you, I would take the loss and not sell this machine to anyone else.

Last edited on 3/23/2011

Last edited on 3/23/2011

truthteir1300934522.62947 PostsRegistered 7/22/2010
On 3/23/2011 PurpleBunny said:

Hi PB - good to see you. I have been scarce lately, as I see you have been also. Dipping my heel in to test the waters.

Free2be1300934722.8611070 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006

I'd try washing with the agitator at a lower speed -- especially for clothes that aren't exceptionally dirty.

I have one pajama top that has holes in it but no other items have them. I often wondered what caused it -- probably a zipper or two. I love that pj top, holes and all.

"Beware the irrational, however seductive." ~ Christopher Hitchens

kcubed1300934913.661439 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 3/23/2011 57babe said:

You should get a subscription to Consumer Reports and it will help you decide on which new washing machine to get. Consumer Reports cost about $30 a year and it is well worth the money and here's why:

I was in the market for a new washer and dryer and I was shown the Whirlpool Cabrio, but I went home and researched it online with Consumer Reports and found that there were many complaints about it.

I bought a GE frontloader washer and matching dryer that was given very high ratings in Consumer Reports. They work beautifully.

Last edited on 3/23/2011

57babe, I can't in good conscience sell it to anyone without explaining the problems that I have had with it. Someone may want it if the price is right. People are often willing to take a chance when they are getting an item for pennies on the dollar. I will just take a loss, but I will have to tell the truth. Thanks for your advice about Consumer Reports.

PurpleBunny1300934947.90739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch
On 3/23/2011 truthteir said:
On 3/23/2011 PurpleBunny said:

Hi PB - good to see you. I have been scarce lately, as I see you have been also. Dipping my heel in to test the waters.

There was a thread started for Sapphire last night and I asked about you on it. Nice to see you back. I know what you mean about testing the waters ...

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")

       

57babe1300935166.4178638 PostsRegistered 8/21/2010
On 3/23/2011 katkins said:
On 3/23/2011 57babe said:

Last edited on 3/23/2011

57babe, I can't in good conscience sell it to anyone without explaining the problems that I have had with it. Someone may want it if the price is right. People are often willing to take a chance when they are getting an item for pennies on the dollar. I will just take a loss, but I will have to tell the truth. Thanks for your advice about Consumer Reports.

Well I sure feel bad for you, buying a new machine and having these problems with it, very disappointing. I hope you find a good machine. Maybe you can find a used HE machine for a reasonable price.

Last edited on 3/23/2011

Last edited on 3/23/2011

markswife1300935505.5031927 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

My sister had this issue (with a different machine) BUt she called the stpre she bought it at, they in turn contacted the co that made the machin, seems to have been an issue that if it was car they would have reaclled it. Any way she got a brand new washer out of the whole thing and anice check for the clothes it had ruined. cant hurt to try that route . P. s. her machine was 3yrs old .

AlayneCatt1300935959.793316 PostsRegistered 3/13/2005Western Washington

I think I would do what markswife suggests - try contacting the store or even Whirlpool and see if they would let you trade it in on a different model. I have a Maytag front loader that I love! It uses half the detergent of a top loader and probably half the water too and I've never had any problems with holes in my clothes unless it snagged on a clasp or something.

NovaStar1300936433.8671323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

I've been thinking of replacing my standard top load washer. But this post has me scared. Is this a typical problem with the new front load HD washers?

clemintine1300936610.47718262 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

You need to conact the company! Two years? Did you get an extended warranty?

I had fridge problems that got resolved, and it's 7 years old! Cost me $95 (in the end). It was a hassle, and they were in and out of here way too much, but eventually fixed it and dropped all but one service call.

Try washing on the lg. load setting but with fewer clothes, just in case that could be true. I never heard of it, and I've been known to stuff too much in mine and never got holes.....just break the belt (but we won't go there!!)

You might just cut your losses and save your clothing and your sanity!

Free2be1300936649.74311070 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006

My daughter has a front loader that has had leaking problems plus they can't leave it with the door closed because it develops a moldy smell. She'd love to have her old top loader back.

"Beware the irrational, however seductive." ~ Christopher Hitchens

clemintine1300937289.63318262 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.
On 3/23/2011 Free2be said:

My daughter has a front loader that has had leaking problems plus they can't leave it with the door closed because it develops a moldy smell. She'd love to have her old top loader back.

Tide is advertising a product to get rid of that smell! It's a build up of soap scum on the outside of the drum, according to the ad. Haven't seen it on shelves yet, but DD periodically checks Target. It looks likes it's a liquid and you do it once a month. The smell comes on fast if you don't remove the clothes pretty quick!

I have new, but I didn't go front load....and now I see they are making efficient top loaders (new ads/Sears) Honestly, I thought the price for those front loaders were CRAZY !! and then you have to buy a $100 platform to put them on? Nah

ibeirish1300939083.8816 PostsRegistered 10/1/2009

I had a similar problem years ago. All my clothes were coming out of the machine with tiny holes in them. I ran my hand completely over the INSIDE of the Machine & Cut my hand on the smallest sc rew that was stuck in the little water drain holes. After my husband removed it I never had another problem. It must have fell out of one of his work pants pockets.

Check the inside of your machine!

hennypenny1300945378.8276204 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have the same washer. I set the spin speed at the lowest no matter what the load consists of. The powers that be believe that beating clothes instead of using water is a better method. C'est la guerre.

ratdog1111300968558.2114924 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

That happened to us too. We switched to a front loader with no agitator.

I think the newer washers with plastic agitators are not smoothed properly before being installed.

Sunshine K­ate130096893212371 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I would try calling the manufacturer and telling them your problem; maybe they can help. I would be upset if my washer made holes in my clothes.

Respectfully ~
Kate

viva9231300982427.087020 PostsRegistered 4/5/2008Delaware

I have had my fair share of washer/dryer problems.

I had the original Whirlpool washer the forerunner to the Cabrio. That plate washer machine. Holes in the clothes all the time,and lint all over my clothes. No matter what I washed,lint over all the clothes. I just gave up,gave the washer to my DD,for her new house. She said it washed great. The matching dryer,was awful. Had the repair man out every week fixing that dryer. I purchased both at Lowe's. Lowe's took back the dryer after the 14th call for repairs.

I had a washer front loader GE. It was a fabulous washer,but I had to ditch that washer too. I had to give it away. The house that I am living in now,the floor (1st floor)was not strong enough for the spinning. The machine would not spin the clothes. I was up all night trying to get the clothes to spin dry,and it wouldn't.

DH purchased me my Whirlpool washer agitator machine in 2008 and it is still going strong. Agitator machine is the only way to go. I have spent a fortune on washer/dryers that have been a big fat bust.

crdlb1300982718.74313184 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Zippers can cause holes. Be sure they are always fully zipped up when you wash. I actually never put anything with a zipper on it in with my more delicate fabrics.

Page 1 of 2