Super Contributor

We have a terrific live theatre in Indianapolis (Indianapolis Repertory Theatre) that I just love. Excellent performances.

I get a phone call tonight about 8:40 p.m., nice lady, apologizing for the late call, I think she's calling to sell me tickets as they usually do, esp. since I just saw a huge ad in this a.m.'s newspaper about the upcoming show that started tonight.

No, she's actually just wanting a donation. That's fine, I'm thinking -- because "IRT" and a local phone # showed on the caller ID., etc.

First I told the gal I'd phone back in, and she said fine, told me her supervisor's name and his phone # to call (another Indy #, similar to the one on the caller ID).

But then, I got nervous about it - no specific reason, just gut feeling - so I phoned the guy's number and told him I'd do it online. Yes, I understand they knew precisely the last performance I had attended, which was 2 yrs ago, and yes, they had my mailing/phone info, etc.

I asked if they got full credit for an on-line donation the same as if I gave my cc number over the phone, including the 1:1 matching of my former employer's foundation, and yes, everything would be identical, he said. But he didn't sound happy.

I don't care.

I still did it online.

I phoned back into say I'd completed the donation online, it went thru fine, etc.

No thanks, no nothing from the guy. Like I was a pain. Funny - this guy was all chipper and cheery when he thought I was gonna read off my cc number. And shouldn't the bottom line be a donation?? And when I specifically asked if an online donation would impact their telephone fundraising efforts, quota, anything, and he said NO.

Geez.