Back-in-Stock Fashions
25 Members and 12992 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Buying a computer on QVC

Started 1298603238.32 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1298652122.427 by chickenbutt

Hi Friends,

I am in need of a new computer, and just ordered the Dell laptop computer featured on QVC. I have the money put aside, but I want your input. Is it better to go to Best Buy in town, or purchase one from the Apple computer store, also in town? What would customer service be like? Have you had good experiences with buying computers from QVC? The computer seemed like a good deal with lots of extras, but are the "extras" worth it? I can always delete my order. I'm not the type that spends a lot of money on impulse items, honest! Also, in general, what's your opinion on the Dell brand. Thanks for any advice you might have. I suppose I should post this on the electronic thread, but I always post on Viewpoints.

Ruby

Page 1 of 1
Wadzlla1298603435.281976 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

I would go HP. Better graphics, and support.

If you have the cash, you can probably get a better deal at Best Buy. Check the internet codes for coupons too.

kalaim1298603547.6533274 PostsRegistered 1/14/2007

We bought a computer from QVC that sucked, the hard drive died on it soon after the warranty expired. It was a no name, I'm not at home now so I can't tell you what it is.

But we also bought a Dell laptop for my Son and that is fine and it was a good price.

I think it just depends on what you want and the price. I would definately stick with better known brands and look for good warranties. Other than that, I have no problem buying them online.

This post brought to you by my mind.

Hildegarde­ Withers1298603588.22723379 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008

I'd never buy a computer or any electronic items from a home shopping club. You can get better deals elsewhere.

Decide what features you need/want & then compare prices on-line.

Wadzlla1298603651.5171976 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

double post.

Last edited on 2/24/2011

Last edited on 2/24/2011

ShowMe1298603888.23344545 PostsRegistered 9/6/2010Missouri

If you go outside the Q, make sure all the packages included on the QVC one are included with the Best Buy. Any problems I've had w/my Dell Laptop had been handled on the phone by Dell. But, did have to purchase a software package contract for having problems that were not covered under the Dell warranty. They do charge for repairs on software Just check this out w/Dell before you purchase the computer. Believe I also told you that the man at Dell said I have a really fantastic computer....filled w/everything you could possibly need (for right now....since things change so fast)

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

P.S. If you are not the one I posted to the other day, please excuse me. And, if you aren't, please accept my comments above to be as true as I could ever make them.

Formerly Fluffy329........

Proud to be from the St. Louis area and LOVE THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS!
Go Cardinals

Happy Shopping and Don't Spend All Your Money in One Place!!!!!

RubyinNE1298603950.7977442 PostsRegistered 8/16/2009Nebraska

I'm reading all of your posts. I am very close to deleting my purchase. So far, you are all making sense. The total price for the computer was $802. Maybe that wasn't such a great bargain. My concern is.... what if I have a heck of a time using this computer, and customer service is not helpful at all? If I bought the computer in town, I could always go directly to the store and ask for help. Heck, I could even have the "Geek Squad" come to my home. I think I might have paid for a lot of stuff I don't need, like that "Dragon" program. I can certainly type my own words in emails, letters and papers. Oy! It's such a cute little red computer.

Ruby

bonnielu1298604033.025823 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

The Q stuffs its computers with lots of useless software titles and makes a big deal about how expensive this software would be without them adding it for "practically free." And that masks the fact that the basic computer is not the latest in technology. Dual core is cheap on the market at this point. We are way over that. And the customer service is so-so depending on the way the wind blows that day, IMHO.

I would rather go to Costco where with a credit card (American Express) the computer gets an extended warantee.

RubyinNE1298604216.9837442 PostsRegistered 8/16/2009Nebraska
On 2/24/2011 bonnielu said:

The Q stuffs its computers with lots of useless software titles and makes a big deal about how expensive this software would be without them adding it for "practically free." And that masks the fact that the basic computer is not the latest in technology. Dual core is cheap on the market at this point. We are way over that. And the customer service is so-so depending on the way the wind blows that day, IMHO.

I would rather go to Costco where with a credit card (American Express) the computer gets an extended warantee.

Okay, so this is yet another reason for me to purchase a Costco membership? I was just in a Costco conversation over flameless candles. :) I'm so close to deleting my purchase.

Ruby

september1298604316.24317525 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007

I bought my HP laptop from QVC, and I did compare it to similar products on both the HP site,and at Costco. Costco actually had the best deal, if I wanted to bundle it with an HP printer. I didn't. So I bought it when it was the TSV here at the Q, and am very happy with my decision.

Didn't have to pay for shipping either. Yes, it came with lots of software that I may or may not use someday. But even without all of that, I think I found the best deal.

funinthesun1298604384.1737346 PostsRegistered 11/11/2006Colorado

I would purchase either through dell direct or a local store, I have always had good luck with best buy. You will get better customer service, and if it's local, alot easier if something doesn't work

RubyinNE1298604569.7537442 PostsRegistered 8/16/2009Nebraska

Okay, friends. I gave it some thought. I really don't NEED a computer until end of June, so I canceled the order. Who knows, something great might come up again on QVC, or maybe I will finally join Costco? Thanks for all the good advice. I do think they load the computer with programs I will never use, and that makes the price look good. Most of my laptop experience has been with Apple. I might hold out for a Mac. Again, thanks. I feel so much better, which in itself is a sign. Have a nice evening.

Ruby

mojofilter1298605780.4572151 PostsRegistered 3/15/2009
On 2/24/2011 bonnielu said:

This is 100% right on. Buying a computer from QVC will save you a lot of money on software that you will probably never use. They put together some of the most bizarre accessory and software packages I have ever seen, simply to jack up the "retail value" of the computer. The useful software (e.g. Microsoft Office or Norton Antivirus) is typically trial versions, meaning you'll have to fork out more money down the line or have an underperforming computer.

Bottom line, the only good reason to purchase a computer from QVC is if you need the Easy Pays.

Costco, the Apple Store, Best Buy, even Target is a better choice. I'm fairly computer savvy, and could probably build my own laptop from parts for a few hundred dollars, but just last month my IBM ThinkPad died and I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of time looking for the right parts and waiting to get them in the mail and putting it together, so I just went to Best Buy. I got a quality brand (Sony) and a model that was only released the week before. No fancy software (actually, they put a disk for Norton Antivirus in my bag but I won't be using it because AVG's FREE antivirus program that you download from their website is better than the program Norton makes you pay for). No webcam, because seriously, you will use it once to call the grands and after going through the trouble of getting it set up, can everyone see each other, etc etc, you'll never use it again. I will add the software that I want and need over time.

So, yeah, my recommendation is that unless your financial situation makes it difficult to pay for the computer all at once, you would get a far better deal and likely be happier in the long run if you purchase your computer at a store.

ETA: Sorry, I got distracted and forget the whole point of me talking about my recent laptop shopping experience: My "top of the line" computer only cost me about $600, because I was only paying for the computer, not the bells and whistles. My second choice (if the Sony I ended up purchasing had been out of stock) was a Toshiba with similar specs that only cost around $400. I think QVC tries to play on people who may not understand computers as well, and make them think that all the garbage software the Q includes is necessary, and that if you were to just go to CostCo and buy the same computer without the "software package" you won't have a fully functional computer when you get it home. Not true.

Last edited on 2/24/2011

Last edited on 2/24/2011

hckynut1298607959.66719727 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

RubyinNE

Hi Neighbor!

Not a wise thing to buy a computer from any shopping network. In many cases you end up as the 3rd party in between the manufacturer and the shopping network.

Some have problems and call the network, and the network tells them to call the manufacturer. And guess what the manufacturer says when they call them? You got it.

If one is looking for all the software and that is their main objective? Go for it. Almost any computer can be built at the manufacturers website to ones exact specifications for what they need it to do.

Many sold on networks have lot's of "stuff", but the real essentials on the inside many times are compromised. I understand the Easy Pay is needed for many to make a big $$$$ purchase.

To them I say, if it's 5 monthly payments? Save that amount for 5 months and then go to a website and build the computer than is just right for you. No unnecessary things on it and one capable of doing exactly what you need it to do. That way you deal only with the manufacturer and not a "middle-man", for sake of a better word.

JMO, and I can assure you I would never buy a computer from any shopping network.

hckynut(john)

barbados1298615773.8514405 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007
On 2/24/2011 hckynut said:

RubyinNE

Hi Neighbor!

Not a wise thing to buy a computer from any shopping network. In many cases you end up as the 3rd party in between the manufacturer and the shopping network.

Some have problems and call the network, and the network tells them to call the manufacturer. And guess what the manufacturer says when they call them? You got it.

If one is looking for all the software and that is their main objective? Go for it. Almost any computer can be built at the manufacturers website to ones exact specifications for what they need it to do.

Many sold on networks have lot's of "stuff", but the real essentials on the inside many times are compromised. I understand the Easy Pay is needed for many to make a big $$$$ purchase.

To them I say, if it's 5 monthly payments? Save that amount for 5 months and then go to a website and build the computer than is just right for you. No unnecessary things on it and one capable of doing exactly what you need it to do. That way you deal only with the manufacturer and not a "middle-man", for sake of a better word.

JMO, and I can assure you I would never buy a computer from any shopping network.

I wouldn't either. If I want to buy a computer I get it from the source.

SydneyH1298647164.8641269 PostsRegistered 2/25/2006

Ruby you would do so much better buying your computer in any office supply store in the country. I bought my laptop for about $450 then purchased a 2 year plan for another $150. If I have any issues at all, the laptop goes to the store and they deal with the language challenged customer service, worth the price of admission to be sure.

Last edited on 2/25/2011

Last edited on 2/25/2011

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

-- Walter Bagehot

blossomgirl1298647260.2632591 PostsRegistered 1/27/2011

We've always found it cheaper to buy computers directly and have only what you want included.

Perkup1298647646.426491 PostsRegistered 12/24/2008

I've purchased three from QVC for grandchildren going off o college, and so far as I know none have had any problems. However, each came with tons of software that they don't want and don't need. One was a Dell, and two were HP's

I recently purchased an Apple from Best Buy - it has everything I want and nothing I don't. I have to say, I think this is a wiser thing to do. Only difference would be if you want to use Easy Pay, which is a wonderful convenience - it was good for me when outfitting those grandkids.

Roseyglow1298647923.991018 PostsRegistered 1/11/2011east coast

{#emotions_dlg.scared} No ... I would not recommend you ordering from the Q. I did ,and send back the computer ASAP it came without the software promised. I called the Q and they said to contact Dell , I did both and I got no solution. I sent back the computer to the Q. And I will never order any electronics from them again. I went to Best Buy and saw the computer in person and a very helpful tech. who worked in the store spent a lot of time with me. I got the computer for 150 dollars less with more applications then the one I ordered off the Q. Take your time go and buy the one you want in person so you can see everything. Good luck to you!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Rosena

antyel1298651451.49710585 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Miami

Ruby was it the OTO that Rick had last night? I tuned in and there were about 10 minutes left to the show - the red had sold out. I was snuggled in bed but was going to get up, turn on the computer and try and get you.

I realized I did not have enough time - my intentions were good though{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

ellen

"I Am Woman Hear Me Roar"
14 year breast cancer survivor!!

ratdog1111298651652.44714924 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

I almost bought the TSV the other day. Then I went to the DELL website where they had the SAME computer less expensive and free shipping.

Then I went to Tiger Direct and found a gateway computer with the same memory and processor for even less! Shipping was just under $9 and I had it in 4 days

Ellie07141298651754.2031791 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern California

i will not buy electronics from QVC. Is there a Sams Club or Costco near by?

Last edited on 2/25/2011

Last edited on 2/25/2011

robomo1298651835.259442 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

Best Buy is fabulous - I recently bought a new computer there. VERY helpful and the price was great. I wouldn't own a Dell for free. I paid a little extra and had BB install everything and make the Recovery disks, etc. It was worth every penny.

chickenbutt1298652122.42724331 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Glad you decided to take your time. You will find, just as everybody else has already said, that you can find more computer for less money elsewhere (outside of ANY tv shopping). That is not talking about generic brands, or substandard brands, either. That is among all the best brands.

Amazon is another place where I have gotten great computers for a great price. I bought two of my laptops there in the last couple of years and was never disappointed. I'm a Toshiba fan, so 3 of mine are Toshibas. But you can find better deals on whatever brand it is you prefer outside of tv shopping.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Page 1 of 1