Fall Fashion Days
12 Members and 9364 Guests Online

Viewpoints

The Lottery Changed My Life

Started 1298174596.747 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1298242315.6 by !FitChick!

There is a show now on TLC about lottery winners. If you won the lottery, what would you do with the money? I would help my family and donate money to help a local food pantry.

What lies behind us and what lies before us
are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-RW Emerson

Page 1 of 1
stuyvesant1298175159.178316 PostsRegistered 5/15/2010

I would definitely help my family (all my sibs, and their kids), that is the first thing. I would like to have a little house on the beach. And I would hire somebody to take care of the sand problem. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I would like to travel. I just might order one of the Q high ticket gold items just because I could! I'd also like to help out my old grammar school.

I definitely need to win millions!

~~~

Shorty2U1298177222.2814415 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007PA

Pay off our home and my kids homes and give the rest to charity. However, I wont every win because I dont play.lol. Money means nothing to me (except for having enough to live and pay bills). I believe money is the root of all evil. Sorry.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

colliemom31298178042.33715566 PostsRegistered 9/7/2010

I viewed a tv show on this subject once, and it showed lottery winners going to their mailbox each day which was full of letters from strangers wanting financial help from them. I'm talking letters were falling on the ground the mailbox was so full. Maybe the first thing to do would be run lol.

september1298180830.4116622 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007
On 2/19/2011 colliemom3 said:

I viewed a tv show on this subject once, and it showed lottery winners going to their mailbox each day which was full of letters from strangers wanting financial help from them. I'm talking letters were falling on the ground the mailbox was so full. Maybe the first thing to do would be run lol.

You would probably have to hire "people" to filter out all those types of letters so you wouldn't have to deal with them yourself.

But then I think of how Oprah's staff never showed her the mail that came from her actual half-sister.

I would want to see the mail myself in case there was something that someone else would toss aside, that I would want to read myself.

Sister Gol­den Hair1298181405.83714257 PostsRegistered 7/18/2008

Hello Sea, we would help our family and friends. We would help our local school and food banks in town. There are homeless shelters in our area that could really use some money. Helping our fellow man or woman with things that so many of us are blessed to have.

Reach for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars.

missyw11298212838.17332019 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

get a good financial advisor

Hildegarde­ Withers1298213039.04322955 PostsRegistered 7/3/2008
On 2/19/2011 september said:
On 2/19/2011 colliemom3 said:

You would probably have to hire "people" to filter out all those types of letters so you wouldn't have to deal with them yourself.

But then I think of how Oprah's staff never showed her the mail that came from her actual half-sister.

I would want to see the mail myself in case there was something that someone else would toss aside, that I would want to read myself.

I wonder how they sent those letters.

Maybe they should have sent them certified - that might have helped.

FrostyBabe1298217113.323096 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004in the vicinity of an area adjacent to a location

I already have a good accountant and attorney, so I wouldn't have to hire those. I would keep anything and everything related to my winning a secret. Any person/organization who might receive help/donations from me would have to sign a confidentiality agreement forbidding the disclosure of any information. I'd go ahead and make some expenditures that I've been talking about anyway, so none of it would come as a surprise to those who know me.

Last edited on 2/20/2011

Last edited on 2/20/2011

Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Francesca Reigler

missyw11298231509.4932019 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

I like this show. They take so much out for taxes.

JuJu Squee­zey1298231656.15314444 PostsRegistered 4/22/2009Space Coast FL

I won $7.00 last night, don't expect much of a change.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog, Wool of bat, and tongue of dog, Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting, Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing, For a charm of powerful trouble, Like a h ell-broth boil and bubble.
William Shakespeare

TrackerGal1298231835.6923626 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007

Pay off our and our children's debts. Invest money for our grand children's education. Invest some so we could have fun and not have to tighten our belts in our old age and then give a ton away.

mom of 71298231848.3232076 PostsRegistered 4/10/2010

I would help my kids out and the rest would be "squirreled away" {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

tatz1298232177.846626 PostsRegistered 11/2/2010.....Kentucky

{#emotions_dlg.w00t} I probably would make the same mistake's as so many other winners have, but I don't worry over it, I don't play the lottery.

......formerly k dash
......not a tatz artist
......no tatz on me

Jenniferll1298232582.12593 PostsRegistered 2/16/2011

First, find a good financial advisor. Pay off all of my debt, keep/invest enough to be comfortable and give a portion to loved ones. After that, start a sustainable charitable foundation that would help out smaller non profits that support our vets, people in need and animals.

Skdesigner1298232741.0275578 PostsRegistered 8/3/2007Home

Buy an RV and hit the road. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

PpprMintPa­tty1298232953.6618644 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol
On 2/19/2011 Shorty2U said:

Pay off our home and my kids homes and give the rest to charity. However, I wont every win because I dont play.lol. Money means nothing to me (except for having enough to live and pay bills). I believe money is the root of all evil. Sorry.

The love of money is the root of all evil...money itself is not.

It wouldn't really change our life at all, we'd help our loved ones out, help our church out, dontale to various animal shelters and St. Jude's much more than we're able to now, etc.

For us, I'd get dh a classic car, pay off the mortgage on our rental house, do some traveling but put most of it away.

The excitement would come from helping others on a large scale, way more so than we're able to do at this point in our lives but we're very thankful that we can do what we do.

~Formerly known as Danny~

decbabe1298232959.191539 PostsRegistered 1/21/2008

If, I played the lottery, I won..the first thing I would do is take care of my children..of course that's after we take care of uncle sam, then what's left i would set up my children and grandchildren with a college trust fund.

Then I would donate to some of my favorite charities..then for myself, go on a shopping spree...hire someone to do my house cleaning...I've probably done all the traveling I want to do...I don't need a larger house...guess, I would pretty much live my life as usual.

WeiRDgeRL1298238568.4834061 PostsRegistered 10/26/2007Pennsylvania

Depending on how much I won....I would pay off my house and any other bills. Help my family and some friends and I also want to open a no-kill animal shelter.

*~*Anne*~*

Noel71298240856.30334868 PostsRegistered 8/8/2007

I have several charities that are near and dear to my heart. Upping contributions is a given.

Aside from that, I'd like to build my own house from the ground up. I've thought about that before and there are several unusual amenities I'd like to have.

I'd like to build-in ideas for elderly people (which I hope will include me at some point), and anyone disabled, even temporarily. I keep hearing about people who have some problem or another and can't climb the stairs. The idea is to build at least a bedroom/bathroom off to the side on the first floor so that you're not cut-off from family activity just because you broke your leg or something like that.

Definitely a library, floor to ceiling shelves, with one of those rolling ladders.

I also think about two wings, one for me and one for DH to use for hobbies, etc. Computer rooms, reference reading nooks, a small room for naps away from household noise. A place DH can work on his photography with an area for all the high-tech gadgets he loves.

A room off of the kitchen just for all the cookbooks I have and have inherited.

And as long as I'm dreaming, a bar area. Fun for guests.

"Oh, mother country, I do love you."
John Stewart

ForestMaven1298241156.79696 PostsRegistered 5/14/2007
On 2/19/2011 Shorty2U said:

I believe the quote is "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil." Doesn't that make sense!?

!FitChick!1298242315.6753 PostsRegistered 1/22/2011

After paying all debt, building my mom a house, and giving members of the fam a LUMP sum of $ ( I am not the bank), I would get myself a modest house, and spend the first year seeing every sporting event, play, and concert that Minnesota has to offer. I would travel; I would like to take my mom, her sisters, and some of the cousins to Italy to explore our heritage; I would go more for experiences, and not so much getting a sports car. I would want to not only give $ to , but to work for some charities.

Page 1 of 1