TSV(R) Preview
143 Members and 11193 Guests Online

Viewpoints

What color is a bayberry candle? Maybe if I know what color it is, I'll have better luck finding one.

Started 1293648149.347 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1293665210.167 by PurpleBunny

Even the people at the candle store were clueless about bayberry.

Buzzards fly in packs. Eagles soar alone.

Pray for the USA.

"Let's roll." ~ Todd Beamer, 9/11/01.

Page 1 of 1
SusieEliza­beth1293648176.925451 PostsRegistered 3/14/2009The Buckeye State

Green. But hold on a minute.

Previously "Justa" "JAWAM" or justawifeandmom changed it because I was tired of the comments.

biancardi1293648182.83747273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

bayberry candles (at least the ones I own) are a green color - not forest green, but more olive.

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

Subject1293648195.69711269 PostsRegistered 2/24/2007

I would think it would be green.

biancardi1293648211.97747273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

like this

Bayberry Wax Pillar Candle, Each

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair. Douglas Adams

SusieEliza­beth1293648252.035451 PostsRegistered 3/14/2009The Buckeye State

http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/searchResults.jsp?search=bayberry

There u go and they are on sale!

Previously "Justa" "JAWAM" or justawifeandmom changed it because I was tired of the comments.

brii1293648266.9724317 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

Okay - I was going to say burgundy.{#emotions_dlg.crying}

biancardi1293648347.72347273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005

I can't believe the candle store people didn't know about this classic!

bayberry is a very famous scent. I think that was all we had when I was growing up

Local1293648440.0171512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

If you get a real bayberry candle that is 'enhanced' it will be an light olive green with a powdery look to it. If you find pure natural bayberry they are more of an taupe with a slight olive cast.

biancardi1293648509.3747273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 12/29/2010 Local said:

If you get a real bayberry candle that is 'enhanced' it will be an light olive green with a powdery look to it. If you find pure natural bayberry they are more of an taupe with a slight olive cast.

I didn't know that about the enhanced vs natural! I guess the enhanced has been around for decades. I am only familiar with the classic olive color.

Clover291293648578.9310657 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

Bayberry, also known as "candleberry". The botanical name, Myrica, means "fragrance". I wish they were easier to find (the scent in candles, I mean), because I'm bored with vanilla everything.

Lotus~1293648590.4135613 PostsRegistered 6/23/2006Long Island, NY

They're usually dark green......my mom has actually found them in CVS/Rite Aid/Walgreens....one of those stores...not sure which one.

"After me....you come first."~unknown~
My sweet girl Ashley crossed over The Rainbow Bridge, Wed., 5/22/13. Miss you madly sweet girl. <3
RIP Jack <3 , my "Old Man" 7/31/13 Be nice to Ashley.

Sooner1293648608.5315185 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 12/29/2010 biancardi said:

I can't believe the candle store people didn't know about this classic!

bayberry is a very famous scent. I think that was all we had when I was growing up

Most of the people working in the candle store (Yankee) here are 19 years old and don't know anything they haven't texted on their phones. They have no clue about life or anything before 2000. I am amazed how much of our culture is pretty much lost now.

Maggie Nol­ia1293648805.2114669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 12/29/2010 Sooner said:

Most of the people working in the candle store (Yankee) here are 19 years old and don't know anything they haven't texted on their phones. They have no clue about life or anything before 2000. I am amazed how much of our culture is pretty much lost now.

Maybe that's it. I was thinking it must be a regional thing. I had never heard of burning one on New Year's day until last year.

Pray for the USA.

Local1293649322.931512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006
On 12/29/2010 Local said:

I didn't know that about the enhanced vs natural! I guess the enhanced has been around for decades. I am only familiar with the classic olive color.

It pretty much just means that they added a natural dye to make the color more pleasing. Natural are very hard to find and I just come by them when I wander into a shop. Here is the poem for Christmas Eve (or New Year's) burning - A Bayberry Candle Burned to the Socket Brings Food to the Larder and Gold to the Pocket.

Joyeux Noe­lle1293649750.8571104 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008Roman Holiday

Bayberry candles are also available in a burgundy color (the color of the berry) or a grassy green. I own them in both colors.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Joyeux Noe­lle1293649854.0971104 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008Roman Holiday

Product Image Flameless LED Pillar Candle - Bayberry
Last edited on 12/29/2010

Last edited on 12/29/2010

biancardi1293649921.75347273 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 12/29/2010 The1stNoel said:

Bayberry candles are also available in a burgundy color (the color of the berry) or a grassy green. I own them in both colors.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

interesting. I wonder when they started making them in burgundy. I've never seen bayberry candles other than in the olive.

Joyeux Noe­lle1293649996.481104 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008Roman Holiday

Where did the bayberry candle legend originate?

bayberry candle traditionWhen the first settlers arrived on our shores, every moment was one of survival. Everything was in short supply including candles. Generally candles were made of tallow (animal fat) which tend to smoke and give off an odor. They can turn rancid as well. It didn't take long for the early colonists to discover that the abundant bayberry b ush had berries that would give off a waxy residue when boiled. They learned to collect and save the bayberry wax that would rise to the surface of the water and make them into taper candles. The bayberry tapers burned longer and cleaner than the tallow version. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of bayberries to make enough wax to make a single taper. These bayberry tapers were a real treasure to the colonists who saved them for special occasions. To have a bayberry candle was a luxury to be saved and relished. It became the tradition to burn your bayberry candle on Christmas or New Years eve to bring blessings of abundance in the coming year. It is not known who actually came up with the traditional bayberry candle poem. But the tradition continues to this day.

It is believed that you should light your bayberry candle on the eve of your holiday of choice (or all of them as I do) and allow it to burn completely until it goes out on it's own. I include the bayberry poem, history and legend with every authentic bayberry taper. My bayberry tapers have about a 6 hour burn time so please allow enough time for it to burn itself out before bedtime.

namealread­ytaken1293650146.4277740 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

from blueberrycandles.org

Bayberry Candles

Bayberry Candles Still A Popular Choice

By Stacy Palmer

Many people have heard about Bayberry candles and the stories behind them. Candles without a doubt have a very interesting past and Bayberry is no exception.

It has been known that for the longest time animal fat and tallow candles were the most widely used until Bayberry wax came along. Even today, Bayberry candles can hold their own with the popular beeswax candles that many people use today.

Even though these candles are not as big as they once were, they still have a large following.

Let’s look at some more history of the Bayberry candle and how it is used today.

History of Bayberry Candles

Early colonists use to burn animal fat candles.

The smell of animal fat candles was something that was not inviting and they needed something else.

Bayberry wax is extracted from berries that grow on shrubs in North America and Canada and thus Bayberry candles were born.

Even today Bayberry candles are extremely popular just like they were many years ago when first discovered by colonists who were looking for another alternative to animal fat candles.

Many different uses and legends are associated with this candle so let us look at some of those.

Bayberry Candles Can Be Used Year Round

Bayberry candles are used all year long, but Christmas is a time when they see some of the greatest use. These candles are burnt on Christmas Eve and legend has it that if you do, your coming years will be prosperous and bad luck will be driven away.

New Years Eve is also another time these candles see a lot of use as people want to bless the coming year.

There are many different uses for Bayberry candles and in the end, it really is limitless. It all depends on each individual.

Bayberry Candles Fill a Room with Lovely Aroma

The one area where the Bayberry candle excels is filling a room with the sweet smell of berry. Many times, we need to get rid of a certain kitchen or other odor, and one of the fastest ways is with a sweet smelling Bayberry candle.

Today’s Bayberry candles are a little different then their predecessors many years ago. Many times you will find that these candles will have other ingredients added that may not have been in use many years ago. This does not take away from the value or popularity of these candles in today’s marketplace.

Bayberry Candles Still Extremely Popular Today

Many people will tell you nothing can replace the smell of a Bayberry candle or the myth of what they can do. You can buy Bayberry candles online as well as at a few local retailers.

If you have never tried Bayberry candles, you do not know what you are missing!

Joyeux Noe­lle1293650190.611104 PostsRegistered 6/26/2008Roman Holiday
On 12/29/2010 The1stNoel said:

interesting. I wonder when they started making them in burgundy. I've never seen bayberry candles other than in the olive.

Not sure. Maybe the scented flameless ones have a bayberry scent like the photo I posted above from Target and it's called bayberry.

Maggie Nol­ia1293664733.95314669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006

There isn't a bayberry candle in this town. Never was, according to the labels on the shelves. And clerks don't have a clue what you're talking about. Making me think this is more of a northern custom as I'm in the south.

Pray for the USA.

crdlb1293664883.87713165 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

Bayberry is a fragrance. A bayberry candle can be any color, although it usually it a Christmasy color since that's when they are most often marketed.

SusieEliza­beth1293664919.8935451 PostsRegistered 3/14/2009The Buckeye State

I know that its not exactley what you are looking for but I am sure that you could find one of these I have seen them in my Walmart

http://www.glade.com/WinterCollection/ScentDefault.aspx?id=96

Maggie Nol­ia1293665123.5914669 PostsRegistered 1/30/2006
On 12/29/2010 justawifeandmom said:

I know that its not exactley what you are looking for but I am sure that you could find one of these I have seen them in my Walmart

http://www.glade.com/WinterCollection/ScentDefault.aspx?id=96

Thanks! That Bayberry Spice may just have to do --- if I can find it!

Pray for the USA.

PurpleBunny1293665210.16739232 PostsRegistered 2/27/2008The Couch

Another spot ....

(\__/)
(='•'=)
('"')(''")
Calm seas never made a skillful sailor ...

       

Page 1 of 1