Better Than Black Friday
131 Members and 11304 Guests Online

Viewpoints

I never could figure out why the doll in Rudolph was a misfit...hmmmmm

Started 1291268230.797 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1291419810.73 by alicedee

Any thoughts on this most mysterious subject lol!!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
sunshine451291268570.7142611 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

Why Is The Doll On The Island Of Misfit Toys A Misfit?
Finally, the long awaited answer to this unsolved mystery!

As far as the Misfit Girl doll goes, in my book Arthur Rankin jokes about her problem being...................... psychological! The fact of the matter is, she is barely mentioned in Romeo's scripts. He describes the important charcters in GREAT detail and the Misfit Girl doll wasn't even in the original 10-63 draft at all! Charlie is the only Misfit with lines, even in the revised script. The spotted Elephant and The Misfit Girl doll got a few extra lines in 1965 at the end when the return to the Island Of Misfit Toys was added in due to public response. She became a more important character in the second broadcast, but was not fully developed in the script....hence the mystery! I accept Arthur's explanation since he is the RANKIN in RANKIN/BASS and Produced the entire production.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

$ Divided-­Guy $1291268647.941538 PostsRegistered 6/10/2010Why Do You Care???

huh...........

And that's MY opinion, what's yours???

mamaslittl­epotato1291268790.1613329 PostsRegistered 3/7/2007New Jersey

Hi BettyJen,

Yes, her problem was psychological....She was abandoned by the little girl who owned her and suffered from depression....This is true.



You are such a good friend that if both of us were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket......I'd miss you heaps and think of you often.

BettyJen1291268954.864748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008

LOL!! Thanks sunshine!! Woo hoooooo!! I now finally know!! When I looked it up on line a few years ago all it said was that it was more or less a mystery to keep people guessing!!

What DG...not a Rudolph fan?? Oh,and hello to you as well!! :P

$ Divided-­Guy $1291269006.2231538 PostsRegistered 6/10/2010Why Do You Care???

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

Last edited on 12/1/2010

And that's MY opinion, what's yours???

sunshine451291269102.99342611 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

rudolph the red nosed reindeer..... and the island of misfit toys that he visited....

lol, not a chick thing, but definitely a blast from our childhoods....actually, i watched it last night! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

hi DG!

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

sparklestar1291269107.3771956 PostsRegistered 7/14/2010

I can't figure out why a grown man would wear flip-flops and pink toe nail polish!

sunshine451291269156.30742611 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

hi betty jen.... so glad the mystery is solved.... a bit depressing, but now you know! Wink

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

BettyJen1291269171.844748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/1/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:

Hi BettyJen,

Yes, her problem was psychological....She was abandoned by the little girl who owned her and suffered from depression....This is true.

Hiya mama!! I never knew that!! Like I posted above,the last time I looked it up on the computer a few years ago,it just said it was a mystery to keep people always in wonder!!

Say though...all the toys were abandoned so why didn't they all have depression lol!!

BettyJen1291269329.6734748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/1/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

A "chick" thing?? DG...did you not ever see Rudolph?? I can't imagine that you didn't now!!

BettyJen1291269397.374748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/1/2010 LandOfOz said:

I can't figure out why a grown man would wear flip-flops and pink toe nail polish!

Gee,now I can't imagine who you are possibly referring too!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

BettyJen1291269482.8574748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/1/2010 sunshine45 said:

hi betty jen.... so glad the mystery is solved.... a bit depressing, but now you know! Wink

Now I feel sad that I know,sniffle sniffle...after all these years...it's allllllll over now lol!!!!

beauty jun­kie1291269614.828407 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

$ Divided-­Guy $1291269707.8231538 PostsRegistered 6/10/2010Why Do You Care???
On 12/1/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/1/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

A "chick" thing?? DG...did you not ever see Rudolph?? I can't imagine that you didn't now!!

Sure I watched it before but didn't pay much attention to the dialogue.......why not you ask???........because the last time I watched Rudolph I was 6 years old......

Hi sunshine.........

Last edited on 12/2/2010

Last edited on 12/2/2010

And that's MY opinion, what's yours???

mamaslittl­epotato1291269735.0513329 PostsRegistered 3/7/2007New Jersey
On 12/1/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer....He was sent to an island of misfits because of his red shiny nose....Don't ya remember?....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}



You are such a good friend that if both of us were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket......I'd miss you heaps and think of you often.

sunshine451291269932.5542611 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

"A scooter for Jimmy! A Dolly for Sue!
The kind that will even say, "How do you do!"
When Christmas Day is here!
The most WONDERFUL day of the year!"

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

BettyJen1291270328.4134748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

LOL!! Nobody wants a Charlie in the box lol!! Why didn't they just simply call him Jack in the box...problem solved!!

mamaslittl­epotato1291270479.8113329 PostsRegistered 3/7/2007New Jersey
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

LOL!! Nobody wants a Charlie in the box lol!! Why didn't they just simply call him Jack in the box...problem solved!!

hahaha....They could've even legally changed his name to Jack, so for sure he'd no longer be a misfit.



You are such a good friend that if both of us were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket......I'd miss you heaps and think of you often.

BettyJen1291270494.5534748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:
On 12/1/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/1/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

A "chick" thing?? DG...did you not ever see Rudolph?? I can't imagine that you didn't now!!

Sure I watched it before but didn't pay much attention to the dialogue.......why not you ask???........because the last time I watched Rudolph I was 6 years old......

Hi sunshine.........

Last edited on 12/2/2010

Wow..six years old was the last time ya saw Rudolph...guess he made no impression on ya then lol!! I watch it every year faithfully!!

C'mon DG...why don't ya get it from netflix and watch it one night teeheehee!! I'm sure the warden will allow it!! :P

BettyJen1291270643.944748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

LOL!! Nobody wants a Charlie in the box lol!! Why didn't they just simply call him Jack in the box...problem solved!!

hahaha....They could've even legally changed his name to Jack, so for sure he'd no longer be a misfit.

LOL!! Yeah...and the cowboy didn't have to ride an ostrich,they could have found a toy horse for him to ride lol!! And that toy g u n didn't have to squirt jelly if they just simply filled it with water lol!!

BettyJen1291270765.8034748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:
On 12/1/2010 $ Divided-Guy $ said:

is this a "chick" thing because I don't understand what you people are talking about???.........oh and hi BettyJen.........

Last edited on 12/1/2010

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer....He was sent to an island of misfits because of his red shiny nose....Don't ya remember?....{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I'll bet he was on a Twinnkie high and just forgot is all!! :D

beauty jun­kie1291270799.078407 PostsRegistered 11/1/2006Ft Laud

We're a couple of misfits not a couple of nit wits.Love that how.My husband thinks its nuts that a 56 YO woman watches Rudolph.The songs alone are adorable.I want my own Sam the snowman.LOL

The Rainbow Bridge-we do not remember days,we remember moments!!

mamaslittl­epotato1291270847.68713329 PostsRegistered 3/7/2007New Jersey
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

LOL!! Nobody wants a Charlie in the box lol!! Why didn't they just simply call him Jack in the box...problem solved!!

hahaha....They could've even legally changed his name to Jack, so for sure he'd no longer be a misfit.

LOL!! Yeah...and the cowboy didn't have to ride an ostrich,they could have found a toy horse for him to ride lol!! And that toy g u n didn't have to squirt jelly if they just simply filled it with water lol!!

LOL!....Very true. See, life coulda been so much easier if they'd just used their noggins.



You are such a good friend that if both of us were on a sinking ship and there was only one life jacket......I'd miss you heaps and think of you often.

BettyJen1291271057.8374748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 mamaslittlepotato said:
On 12/2/2010 BettyJen said:
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

I had to read this. i often wonered what was wrong with that cute little doll.I watched it last nite too.Love it.A Charlie in the box.LOL

LOL!! Nobody wants a Charlie in the box lol!! Why didn't they just simply call him Jack in the box...problem solved!!

hahaha....They could've even legally changed his name to Jack, so for sure he'd no longer be a misfit.

LOL!! Yeah...and the cowboy didn't have to ride an ostrich,they could have found a toy horse for him to ride lol!! And that toy g u n didn't have to squirt jelly if they just simply filled it with water lol!!

LOL!....Very true. See, life coulda been so much easier if they'd just used their noggins.

But but they're toys so they don't have noggins lol!!

I always thought that Santa in Rudolph was kind of mean too lol!!

BettyJen1291271249.8234748 PostsRegistered 9/29/2008
On 12/2/2010 beauty junkie said:

We're a couple of misfits not a couple of nit wits.Love that how.My husband thinks its nuts that a 56 YO woman watches Rudolph.The songs alone are adorable.I want my own Sam the snowman.LOL

Awww,thats a guy for ya!! I think the songs are so cute too!! And so isn't Sam!! You just enjoy Rudolph every year and let hubby do whatever!! And sing the songs loudly,very loudly when he's around lol!!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next