Top-Rated on Easy Pay
21 Members and 9452 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Do men seem to be getting shorter, as women get taller?

Started 1285543124.143 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1285594360.287 by Karen D

Maybe I am just imagining it, but it seems to me that there are more short men now than ever before! I see so many short actors now on TV shows and in so many movies. Meanwhile, the girls keep getting taller and taller! Then, you throw into the mix those gigantic heels, and women seem like amazons next to so many men now!

Will Justin Bieber be the new norm? I saw that many of the boys on American Idol were also short. They always used to say that future generations would be taller and taller. That seems to be the case for girls, but not boys!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 1
Sooner1285543422.8914670 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

There are more bald young men. Too lazy to have hair? I hate the look on the young guys.

hckynut1285543527.26719215 PostsRegistered 5/20/2006Nebraska

Just a personal thought, but is seems like some shoes the ladies wear heels have gotten to what? 4-5-6". I know both sexes now are a lot taller and bigger than when I was in high school.

Back in the 1950's a boy at my height was not considered short, 5' 8". And anyone 6' was considered tall. I was taller than most of the girls back then also. Now I see the size of some high school kids, both genders, and it is waaaaay taller and bigger.

hckynut(john)

clemintine1285543586.08318212 PostsRegistered 11/5/2007C.C.

well, I don't know, but I wish I was 'part of that'.............being so short is a pain in the butt.

Jupiter1285544093.0535243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
On 9/26/2010 hckynut said:

Just a personal thought, but is seems like some shoes the ladies wear heels have gotten to what? 4-5-6". I know both sexes now are a lot taller and bigger than when I was in high school.

Back in the 1950's a boy at my height was not considered short, 5' 8". And anyone 6' was considered tall. I was taller than most of the girls back then also. Now I see the size of some high school kids, both genders, and it is waaaaay taller and bigger.

Hi, John!

I see the "bigger" part in guys today much more than the taller part! 6' is STILL considered tall for a guy. The necessary height to be a female model used to be a minimum of 5'7". Now, it is 5'9"!

So many girls are now much taller than that! When they add those high heels, they become amazons! It must be really intimidating for a lot of guys when they go somewhere and see so many of the girls much taller than they are!

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live. (Mark Twain)

Bella HS1285544429.0038076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY

My 13 year old niece is 5"10 and it doesn't bother her at all. Doctor says she still has one more growth spurt to go.She looks languid and beautiful but the boys she hangs out with are like shrimps compared to her. She's also a great athlete.

2cute4myow­ngood1285544654.487205 PostsRegistered 8/8/2009Michigander

Jupiter, your question had me chuckle to myself. I'm on my class reunion committee and we had a 50th birthday bash by going on a boat ride. As we were standing outside the boat waiting for everyone to get off to take pictures, one of my classmates and I said almost simultaneously, "Why are all the men short?" We burst out laughing. I have noticed that anyone that I find attractive or vice versa is always(ok, most of the time) too short. I will let her know that it's not just us.

Stupidity is dangerous.... when left in the wrong hands! ! ! !

Jupiter1285545397.625243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
On 9/26/2010 Bella HS said:

My 13 year old niece is 5"10 and it doesn't bother her at all. Doctor says she still has one more growth spurt to go.She looks languid and beautiful but the boys she hangs out with are like shrimps compared to her. She's also a great athlete.

I watch "America's Next Top Model", and this season they have a contestant who is 6'2"! They told her that there was now a lot of work for very tall girls in the modeling industry! Smile

Jupiter1285545539.45243 PostsRegistered 10/25/2008Florida
On 9/26/2010 2cute4myowngood said:

Jupiter, your question had me chuckle to myself. I'm on my class reunion committee and we had a 50th birthday bash by going on a boat ride. As we were standing outside the boat waiting for everyone to get off to take pictures, one of my classmates and I said almost simultaneously, "Why are all the men short?" We burst out laughing. I have noticed that anyone that I find attractive or vice versa is always(ok, most of the time) too short. I will let her know that it's not just us.

It is good to know that I am not the only one noticing this now!! Smile

elainemasey1285546032.363138 PostsRegistered 4/26/2007

My DS13 is 6'2" in 8th grade.He loves it. There is one boy a little taller than him. Then a lot of the other boys are on the 5'10'' range. I can't think of any of the girls that are really "tall".

BellaHS maybe we could fix your niece up with my son. They could have nice tall kids. :)

Bella HS1285547673.6838076 PostsRegistered 12/17/2007East Hampton, NY
On 9/26/2010 elainemasey said:

My DS13 is 6'2" in 8th grade.He loves it. There is one boy a little taller than him. Then a lot of the other boys are on the 5'10'' range. I can't think of any of the girls that are really "tall".

BellaHS maybe we could fix your niece up with my son. They could have nice tall kids. :)

LOL....they both sound like 2 teenagers with confidence and comfortability with their body length. She just started HS this year and I asked her how it was going being a "newbie" and all. She said she looked like she's already been in HS for a for a few years. It also helps when you got great athletic skills like basketball, softball and swimming behind you and you are a main player for each team.

Last edited on 9/26/2010

Last edited on 9/26/2010

gardenman1285592470.4716828 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

Speaking as someone who started losing his hair in high school, I'm intrigued by the question, "Too lazy to have hair?" What the heck does laziness have to do with losing hair? It's called "male pattern baldness" and it has nothing to do with laziness. It should also be pointed out that those who shave their heads spend a lot of time each day maintaining that look often shaving it twice a day. A buzz cut is far easier to maintain than a shaved head. Those who shave their heads purposely do so for an aesthetic reason, not because they're lazy. Maintaining a shaved head is a chore.

As to the height issue, history shows that people are getting taller over time. There's a societal preference for tallness (if that's a word) that rewards taller individuals. There have been sociological studies done that show taller men with identical credentials get jobs more easily and advance more readily than shorter men. Taller men are also preferred by most women. Guys know this and will lie about their height (like women lie about their age and weight.) I'm 5-11 (legitimately) and I know guys who will swear they're 6-0 to 6-2 who I tower over. There are a few guys that I can look over the top of their head while standing barefoot who will swear on a stack of bibles that they're 6-0 to 6-2. When I point out that I'm 5-11 they tell me I'm wrong and I must be 6-2 to 6-3 if not even 6-4. (I'm not. I'm 5-11.) The historical record is pretty clear that people are generally getting bigger and taller over time. Some of it could be diet and nutrition, but as humans, we're selecting and rewarding height these days. That gives taller individuals an advantage over their shorter colleagues and will in all likelihood continue to create more and more taller people.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

BacktBrune­tte1285593741.693165 PostsRegistered 9/15/2010

Current average height for a woman: 5'4", for a man: 5'9".....Cool

Always use your powers for good.

Karen D1285594360.28765 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008

I'm 5'9" and it seems like over half of the men I come in contact with are shorter than me. I don't think I'm freakishly tall and I never wear heels. I still seem to tower of a lot of men. So, yes, I do think men are getting shorter for some reason.

Page 1 of 1