Back to School
139 Members and 11609 Guests Online

Viewpoints

Cruise; Helpful hints for cruise ????

Started 1284433665.597 in Viewpoints | Last reply 1284517408.43 by baroquepearl

We have been on cruises before, ( a while ago ) but I'm looking for advice on what you can bring and what you should bring on a cruise..With all these new rules and regulations not sure what to bring. Going on Royal Caribbean "Explorer of the Seas"

Any hints???

Page 1 of 1
Crow1284434579.29716005 PostsRegistered 11/16/2007Turn left and keep drivin'

No hints, but I hope you have a wonderful time!

Inane pictures: the bumper stickers of Viewpoints.

doxiemom 41284434742.54727472 PostsRegistered 12/30/2008NJ-FL

I do not think they have really changed....It's nothing like the airlines......Just bring what you normally do........Have a great time.........

Holly Noel 7/11/97 1/22/11 RIP My Sweet Angel
Annie Oakley 12/7/00 - 8/26/12, Another Angel.

nutmeg31284438952.0734567 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ

You can get cruise info about Royal Caribbean "Explorer of the Seas" at their web site. Many companies are even using E-tickets.

I like another site, Cruise Critic, a which has nothing but Cruise Info, and a forum "Royal Caribbean" .

Last edited on 9/14/2010

Last edited on 9/14/2010

crdlb1284439815.00312860 PostsRegistered 6/24/2009So. Cal.

You can usually make spa, salon, restaurant and excursion reservations online. If you plan to do any of these things, it's best not to wait until you get onboard.

Also, we looked at Trip Advisor website to find reliable tour operators in the ports we were going to and found we could get virtually private tours for not that much more that we would pay for the trips the cruise lines offered. The recommendations on that site are pretty good, IMO.

Even when they say "formal" you'll find a lot of people are very casual, so do whatever you think is comfortable for you. Shorts and flip flops showed up on formal nights on the last cruise I went on. Not that I would enjoy dressing like that, but I'm just saying you don't need to feel like you need to go black tie if that's not your thing.

Binoculars are usually fun to have along. A backpack or large tote for day trips.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

haddon91284441363.565950 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa

I cruised on "Explorer" almost 5 years ago (in December) My best tip would be to go to CruiseCritic.com There you'll get all kinds of information on cruising and there are tons of message boards. You'll even find a thread for people who will be on your cruise!

speedyindi­sguise1284441752.1078733 PostsRegistered 3/30/2009Atlanta, GA

LOVE cruises and LOVE Royal Caribbean!!

When are you going and where are you going? Knowing that can help suggest what to bring.

Your BELIEFS don’t make you a better person, your BEHAVIOR does.

speedyindi­sguise1284441857.278733 PostsRegistered 3/30/2009Atlanta, GA
On 9/13/2010 haddon9 said:

I cruised on "Explorer" almost 5 years ago (in December) My best tip would be to go to CruiseCritic.com There you'll get all kinds of information on cruising and there are tons of message boards. You'll even find a thread for people who will be on your cruise!

O/T Just wanted to say a quick HELLO!

Your BELIEFS don’t make you a better person, your BEHAVIOR does.

whezy1284442458.337651 PostsRegistered 10/27/2008

We go about twice a year ...always on rccl. I usually take 1 long black pant and a couple of "dressy" tops for formal nights. 2 Pr denim capris, 4 tees, 2 terry dresses (to wear on shore or lounge), sandals, walking shoes swim suit, hat, coverup (for restaurant), undies, pjs, and toiletires. I usually take 1 extra long jean and a couple of heavier tops in case I need them in the evening on deck. The less you take, the more fun and the more you can bring home! Ship regulations haven't changed..just staying under that 50# bag limit for the airline is tough. A large bag can weigh 10-12 lbs empty...depending on the brand. Taking an extra bag is less expensive than taking an over-weight bag. Have a great time!

nutmeg31284444589.5134567 PostsRegistered 6/18/2007NJ
On 9/13/2010 crdlb said:

You can usually make spa, salon, restaurant and excursion reservations online. If you plan to do any of these things, it's best not to wait until you get onboard.

Also, we looked at Trip Advisor website to find reliable tour operators in the ports we were going to and found we could get virtually private tours for not that much more that we would pay for the trips the cruise lines offered. The recommendations on that site are pretty good, IMO.

Even when they say "formal" you'll find a lot of people are very casual, so do whatever you think is comfortable for you. Shorts and flip flops showed up on formal nights on the last cruise I went on. Not that I would enjoy dressing like that, but I'm just saying you don't need to feel like you need to go black tie if that's not your thing.

Binoculars are usually fun to have along. A backpack or large tote for day trips.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

I am LOL. I met a gentleman on my last cruise who could not get into the dining room, because the jacket he was wearing had shorter sleeves.

I do not book anything in advance, because your credit card is charged today. I would however, book a hair appointment, or special dinner on let's say a formal night. Many ships have spa service specials on sea days, and port days.

Enjoy your trip.

island bre­eze1284445203.2371089 PostsRegistered 11/20/2009

I do a lot of cruising, so if you have any other questions, please ask.

Do not bring booze. They will confiscate it if they find it (and they do x-ray your luggage). If they find it, you'll have to go to the "naughty room" to pick up your luggage.. and they'll hold your booze until the end of the cruise.

Do not bring an iron or candles. Fire hazards.

Most of the cruiselines (except formal lines likef Crystal and Cunard) are relatively informal these days. You won't need your ball gown or tux. They DO have optional formal nights. I like to dress up, so I do usually bring a nice dress for that evening. I also dress for dinner, but you don't have to. I just like to. All you'll need is nice pants and a top for dinner.

Bring your camera, your swim suit, swim suit cover up, comfy walking shoes, sun screen, Bonine (for sea sickness if you're prone), dollar bills for tipping (even if tips are included, it's always nice to give tips to those who go above and beyond for you).

Also:

passports (if you're going out of the country)

drivers license or other photo ID (you'll need this to board the ship)

boarding pass

credit card (be sure to call your credit card company before you leave to let them know you may be charging on your vacation)

glasses if you wear them

guidebooks

plug adapter and converter

watch

flashlight (so you don't wake your spouse for midnight potty calls)

prescription drugs and over the counter medications (aspirin, pepto bismol, etc)

airline tix

medical insurance cards

travel alarm

business cards (you'll make new friends)

i-pod

good book

small umbrella

snorkeling gear

laundry bag

travel sized Woolite and Shout

alcohol wipes (I use them constantly, and I wipe down my entire cabin when I get there)

bug spray

emergency contact phone numbers and cell phone plus charger

collapsable bag to bring home all the things you bought

Yahooey1284462097.583918 PostsRegistered 7/9/2010
I always bring a wide mouth bottle that I fill up with crush ice and whatever beverage that is on hand. I mix ice tea and lemonade. I put the bottle in a neoprene sleeve and it cool for a long time. By the sundeck or taking it with me on port days. Easier to use that cups that get knocked over or warm too quickly. Another vote for cruisecritic dot com - i like to read up on excursions.

Sharkie1284462758.81125 PostsRegistered 2/20/2007

I've cruised on this particular ship. They have a "specialty" restaurant, and for an extra small fee, treat yourself to some of the best food you've ever tasted. My only regret--we didn't eat there each nite. You have to make a reservation, but it is so worth it. Because the airlines charge extra for more than 1 bag, pack light--good time for city knits kinds of "dress" slacks. Most cruises are much less "formal" (not as many prom-looking nites) as in the past, so dress comfortably. Also this ship is quite over-airconditioned in common areas, so bring a light-weight cardigan. Forget high heels, dress flats with rubber-sole bottoms are more practical. The day after "formal nites" you see a lot of casts and canes being used. High heels and rolling marble floors just don't work well together. This ship is used as a research vessel to gather info about the seas they cruise, so be sure to take advantage of any talks given by the on-board scientists (if you are interested). It is hurricane season, so if possible, book your airline thru the cruise line. This is the only way to "guarantee" you will be compensated or accomodated for delays by the airline. Have a wonderful trip.

Mox ie1284464434.5335221 PostsRegistered 7/16/2010

I see that everyone has given you good advice. Go on Royal Caribbean's website and they will give you all the information that you need and suggestions for what to bring. Bring a pair of binoculars because you may have the opportunity to see some amazing things. Also a camera is a must. Good walking shoes as well.

I don't think you need to bring an adapter, as most ships are pretty up to date. But you will find that out for sure on their website. Have fun.

We preorder our wine before we get on the ship so we will have a selection to choose from on the ship. That way it is pre paid and we don't have to worry about the additional charges on our bill.

There are a lot of fun activities and you will be able to meet a lot of people. I rarely miss the martini tastings or the wine tastings. It is fun to be with people who share your love for a good martini or a fine wine.

When someone tells you that you have changed, it simply means you have stopped living your life their way.

haddon91284472261.085950 PostsRegistered 10/18/2005Bucks County, Pa
On 9/13/2010 SpeedyG said:
On 9/13/2010 haddon9 said:

O/T Just wanted to say a quick HELLO!

Hi speedy!! Smile

missyw11284472564.14732017 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007

Don't overpack.

Bring a set of summer/winter clothing.

FLBB1284472877.867239 PostsRegistered 5/23/2008

Please bring sunscreen. When you're sitting by the pool or taking an excursion on one of the islands, the sun is so strong and you'll get burned easily. I always take a hat with me as well.

One word - chocolate

island bre­eze1284489314.9071089 PostsRegistered 11/20/2009

You never told us... where is your cruise going???

Gloria1284490593.6674312 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

You've gotten excellent advice. Love that ship. Went on it last year.

I would reiterate the suggestion that you make reservations for excursions beforehand. We did not last year and missed out on a couple we really wanted to do. This year we did all the reservations ahead of time, including all the shows we wanted to see. This was on the Oasis. They checked our sea pass at the door. Those who had reserved got to go to the front of the line. Those without reservations had to wait until everyone was seated to see if space were available. In the large "auditorium" this is usually not a problem, but the acquatheater and the rink sells out.

I definitely suggest dining at the Portofino restaurant one night (we usually do it one of the formal nights and do stick to the formal dress code). Food is awesome and something like $15 (includes tip, though we still tip more) and is everything from "soup to nuts".

We noticed that dressy is not as dressy on the RC ships as it once was. Rarely saw gowns or tuxes. People were just dressed nicely. They used to call the other nights "smart casual", but now they are just called casual. Noticed that people really seemed to dress down on these nights. Nice skirts/tops, nice capris or pants, simple dresses are what we wore.

Where are you sailing to? Wherever you are going, you are most likely going to their island, Labadee in Haiti. I don't know if you have ever been there, but we had been there before and RC has really built it up nicely. One warning on the open market section. The last time we were there they had one building you went into (with lots of the native people laying out their wares as you walked up to it). They have built some lovely ramps and sort of elevated decks with cubicles on the hill behind the building. Pretty much each one had the same thing, cubicle after cubicle. Sorry to say I was really turned off here. I know the economy is bad, but I was seriously hounded here. They will not let you walk by their booth without calling after you to see their wares. It got so tiresome and annoying after a while that I had to leave the area. Don't mean to be a downer. Just wanted to warn you. I have shopped on many of the islands and the natives do try to draw attention to their wares, but this was just about harassment.

Let us know where you are going! Have a great time!

Brabls1284491380.24714740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

No wine-but per friends experience, de-box a box of wine, put it in a 6-pack size insulated cooler. Makes it through.

I had problems because I carry full size scissors for cutting bandages & a special knief for cutting food. Once I explained my situation & security saw my hands, I made it through.

chickenbutt1284491735.48323475 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Pull out everything you think you want to pack, then weed out about a third of it. You never will need as much stuff as you think you will. When I travelled a lot, and I did several cruises during that time too, I always brought way too many clothes and too many 'well, I might need this so I better bring it' kinds of things.

As far as cruises, specifically, I always booked any excursions ahead of time. Otherwise, you may lose availability due to them filling up too soon. Check out the places where you will be in port, ahead of time, to see if there are things or places you would not want to miss. I know that seems like just basis travel 101, but you would be surprised how many people don't bother and are totally clueless when they arrive somewhere. You don't have enough time in any given port to figure stuff out after arriving.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

vjd1284515433.47759 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007

Gosh so many hints, Thanks so much for all your input.

Our cruise is the begining of Nov. for 12 days. Leaving from Cape Liberty NJ. Going to Labadee,Samana (Dominican Republic) St Thomas, St Kitts, St Johns, St. Maarten, and then at sea for 3 days.. This is the longest cruise we have taken.. Thank God we are not flying as I don't have to worry about how much the luggage weighs.... I do over pack. Trying to make a list and keep to it thats a joke heh heh

I have been on Cruise critic and reading about the good ideas they give. one that surprised me was a power strip for plugs. But its true you have cell phones, comp. plugs curling iron and etc. I always bring an extension cord.

again Thanks for everything

Valerye

dfyre1284516178.741116 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007

We've sailed on this ship many times - you are going to love it. ITA you will find out everything you need to know from cruisecritic.

baroquepea­rl1284517408.43210 PostsRegistered 6/8/2010

Very good advice here.

I need a sign to let me know you're here
All of these lines are being crossed over the atmosphere
I need to know that things are gonna look up
And I'm calling all angels
I'm calling all you angels

Page 1 of 1