Fall Fashion Clearance
158 Members and 12766 Guests Online

Scrapbooking

Besides Versamark what is best brand ink for heat embossing

Started 1266206512 in Scrapbooking | Last reply 1266439808 by lilybelle
My favorite ink for heat embossing is Versamark and sprinkling my favorite embossing powder, whatever color that may be.
However, many times the powder remains on paper due to static cling. I want to emboss black with a face stamp and that scares me; I am afraid some black sprinkles with melt on face.
And so I want to stamp in black ink (the slow drying kind) and sprinkle with clear embossing powder which is more forgiving on light paper if some powder remains.
I am still unsure of terms, craft ink and pigment ink.
What brand of pigment ink do you suggest for heat embossing/
Thank you in advance (TIA) for your suggestions.

Page 1 of 1
sorbet12662368901424 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006Honolulu
Doesn't anyone heat emboss anymore?
What do you think of Brilliance or Versacolor ink? Are they good for heat embossing?
--
Edited by sorbet at 02/15/2010 11:40 AM PST

Last edited on 2/15/2010

BarbaraL126623892093 PostsRegistered 1/22/2009
Sorbet,
I'm just getting into heat embossing. The "pigment dye inks" are the best for embossing from what I've learned on other sites. I've been using Colorbox. Barb

BarbaraL126624010693 PostsRegistered 1/22/2009
I forgot another great ink - Tim Holtz distressed inks work well with embossing. Barb

lilybelle12662551914950 PostsRegistered 6/27/2007
Do you use an embossing buddy to help remove the static before you apply the powder? It really helps.
I think you can use any slow drying ink for embossing. I often use SU's craft inks for that purpose. They are pigment inks. Any brand should work. Sorry, I don't have much experience with other brands, but they should work too.
I love the look of embossing, but it sure is messy. Another thing I have been seeing is stamping with Versamark on paper that the color you want the image to be, heat embossing it with clear, and then cutting the image out. I think I am going to try that technique with SU chocolate bunny, for Easter crafts.
Edited to add: Craft inks are pigment inks and slow drying. They produce a more definite, thicker image, but can smear if you aren't careful because of the longer time to dry.
Dye based inks are the quick drying kind. They are good for stamping since they are less likely to smear, but are not good for embossing. Hope this helps.
--
Edited by lilybelle at 02/15/2010 8:38 AM PST

Last edited on 2/15/2010

ryocg1266255920127 PostsRegistered 3/4/2009
I read somewhere a while back that u can use glycerin as embossing ink. I haven't tried it yet but it's worth a shot.
I use a fine paint brush to remove any bits of embossing powder around my image. The buddy baggie is a good idea or spready fine baby powder over your page before stamping.
Cat

paperpilot1266256399974 PostsRegistered 2/23/2009
I use versamark. I think I used tuxedo in memento, but I can't remember if I liked the effect or not. I have some Tim Holtz inks but haven't used them for embossing yet. There was a chart someone had on all the inks and what they're good for. Do you have that? I can see if I kept it. I do know such a chart was in a recent (fall) magazine. Sorry I'm not more clear--in pain, going to the chiro!!!

sorbet12662674231424 PostsRegistered 7/2/2006Honolulu
Paper, sorry to hear of your pain, I hope you feel better soon. I had to go to chiro and physical therapist in the past for my pain, too.
Yes, I have used paint brush to brush off excess powder but sometimes I brush off too much between intricate details.
I do have the embossing buddy but somehow I just put on too much and too powdery. But I guess brushing off excess embossing buddy is much better than accidentally brushing off embossing powder and having to do it all over again.
I do have the SU "Craft" ink but it scares me since the SU Classic ink I use when not embossing turns purple many times. Maybe the SU "Craft" is better.
Thank you all for your help.

jr5alive126628907294 PostsRegistered 9/22/2008Indiana
I love to heat emboss! I, too, have problems with the embossing powder "jumping" around on the paper. One thing that works well for me is to heat from the back first to set the powder then finish up by heating on the front. But often it works best to use colored ink and clear embossing powder. I have an old pad of black ink that says on the front "Just for Embossing". There is a big E on the clear lid. It is from Inkxpressions and says it is a premium pigment ink. It works really well and then I use the clear powder so no problem. I do like the Versa color pigment ink. I have the dew drop pads called Versa Magic.
Hope this helps.
Now I have a question.. Has anyone tried a dryer sheet to rub over the paper to help eliminate the static. I would think that would work like the embossing buddy.
JB

VeeCee1266298144830 PostsRegistered 10/17/2007Virginia
I too like the Versamagic in Midnight Black and the Brilliance is excellent. The embossed colors are very crisp. Of course Versafine is great for intricate stamps, just make sure you use an ultra fine powder.
An anti-static bag is going to be your best friend. You can make your own with baby powder and corn starch. You can also use a [u]used[/u] dryer sheet as jr5alive mentioned. I have tried all three and still needed to pull out the paint brush.
Before stamping/handling the paper I try to remember to wipe my hands on a towel just to remove residual oil.
Vee

Louisa May1266416065201 PostsRegistered 8/22/2007
Versamark Ink is glycerin mixed with water. I refresh my Versamark pad with pure glycerin from the drug store, brushing it across the pad, and I get great results. For interesting backgrounds I paint glycerin directly from the bottle onto paper, and then sprinkle different embossing powders over it.
I use a used dryer sheet to eliminate static.

paperpilot1266423172974 PostsRegistered 2/23/2009
Thanks LoiusaMay, I didn't know that! I hate it when ink pads go dry and here's a way to refresh one. Do you have any other good tips?

Louisa May1266424824201 PostsRegistered 8/22/2007
I meant to include this in my post above and forgot: I use a USED dryer sheet to eliminate static. The Embossing Buddy is fabric stuffed with cornstarch, and sometimes that powder gets on the page too. With a used dryer sheet, you eliminate the static with no powder residue.

lilybelle12664398084950 PostsRegistered 6/27/2007
In a new mailer that I got from Archiver's, it lists different types of ink. They say that VersaColor is the best for embossing.
SU sells reinkers to use for your ink pads and for other things as well. They are great and cheaper than buying a new ink pad. You can make your own alcohol inks with them...tons of colors.

Page 1 of 1