Shoes & Handbags Offers
91 Members and 11386 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

WHERE CAN I BUY MIZITHRA CHEESE ???

Started 1276733473.923 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1277287636.31 by doglover3

I posted the recipe for this than added I can't find this cheese. I was so sure Wegman's would have it but couldn't find it there. Does anyone know anything about this cheese and where I can find it? thank you

Mizithra Browned Butter Pasta

Page 1 of 1
LilBitMiss­ty1276734618.465998 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

Hi dog loveer3..all I know is this is a greek cheese. My friend bought some through amazon.com..I just checked and yes they do have it there..not sure what stores might carry it. Here they have a deli store that has alot of imported different kinds of cheeses..anyhow here is the link.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=Mizithra%20cheese&tag=new-deals-20&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

Chuckr1276738453.2371162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area

The first link brings us back to this same thread...

For the recipe, try:

http://community.qvc.com/DiscussionDetail/tabid/73/ThreadID/69832/TypeID/1/CatID/13/Default.aspx

More on 'Mizithra' at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizithra

It is made in various sizes and shapes, most commonly a truncated cone. The fresh, soft, sweet form is called simply mizithra, the sour version is xynomizithra. If it is aged, it becomes anthotyros.

The cheese is soft, snow-white, creamy, and moist. Since no salt is added to Mizithra it has an almost sweet and milky taste.

(This seems to conflict with the original write-up:) {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

.... Myzithra is very salty but it balances out ....

Last edited on 6/16/2010

Last edited on 6/16/2010

katkitty1276738884.8174719 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Try Whole Foods. The one by my house has a very large selection of imported cheeses, 3 "deli' cases full matter of fact. Maybe the one by your house stocks it also!

-kk

markswife1276739145.671927 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007

My local grocery store has it in the serve yourself deli section, near the front of the store. I know not much help. It has not been selling there for very long it has a NEW Item sticker near it. Maybe if your stores have the litlle suggestion papers, you can fill one out everytime you go there then it will be there soon?

disneyfairy1276741679.3738 PostsRegistered 2/3/2009

Trader Joe's has it too.

peggles1276742420.723494 PostsRegistered 2/1/2005
Safeway stores carry it, if you're near one. Maybe their family of stores will carry it too.

MaryShopper1276742541.697130 PostsRegistered 4/4/2009

I've always just purchased a bag from The Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant.... They serve browned butter spaghetti and offer the mizithra cheese as a take-home purchase.

doglover31276745348.4739544 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Unfortunately we don't have a Trader Joes, Safeway or Whole Foods let alone Old Spaghetti Factory but I will look in more of our grocery stores. We have Giant, Weiss, Redners, Wegmans, ShopRite plus BJ's. A ll I checked out so far is Wegmans being they are the largest and have more unusual things than the others have but won't let any stone unturned.

Glad you say it isn't salty, good to know and think the cheese is soft, snow-white, creamy, and moist. Since no salt is added to Mizithra it has an almost sweet and milky taste you mention is probably the one the recipe is referring to?

thanks a lot, will keep checking. I don't order anywhere else online other then here or HSN so have to buy it in a brick and mortar store.

doglover31276818080.2239544 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

one of the diners we go to mostly, was there this evening and I asked the owners mom where I could get this cheese and she said she will see if she can get me some where they get their cheese, hope so, very nice of them I think. I said yes, please do and just tell me what I owe. DH and I go there 3 days a week for lunch before he goes to work at 2:45 and on very hot humid nights we go there at midnight when he gets home, is only 7 minutes away and very good food. Prices are almost cheaper than eating at home for 2 of use and all homemade.

I went there for dinner tonight with my neighbor. I had a huge bowl(pasta size bowl) of homemade chicken pot pie, cup of ham and string bean soup, Greek salad, applesauce(could have had any veggie) and home made rolls, $6.05 weird price huh? Then they put 10% coupons on the back of the Giant grocery store receipts so I had that with me. Coffee is $1 for all you want, cheap dinner. We are going there when DH gets home and they said they will put a nice bowl away for him for midnight, said I didn't want it again, would have my chicken Caesar salad(put that on a dinner plate, huge, need help to eat it, $4 something).

Last edited on 6/17/2010

Last edited on 6/17/2010

ranna1276884378.953335 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
On 6/16/2010 doglover3 said:

I posted the recipe for this than added I can't find this cheese. I was so sure Wegman's would have it but couldn't find it there. Does anyone know anything about this cheese and where I can find it? thank you

Mizithra Browned Butter Pasta

our local paper some years ago printed the old spagetti factory's mizithra spagetti recipe and said if you could'nt find mizithra cheese you could subsituite kassari, that cheese i think is easier to find.

georgette ­maggi1277134207.9775 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

Mizithra is a Greek cheese and can be bought at any greek grocery store. Hope this helps

Love to re­ad1277138800.4771681 PostsRegistered 11/3/2008Southern Indiana

DogLover - Would you post your recipe again? My husband loves pasta w/ mizithra and I haven't been able to find a good recipe. When I clicked on the recipe name in your post, it said that that page had expired.

Here in southern Indiana Kroger I usually have to go to a grocery co-op about 40 miles away to get mizithra since our local groceries don't carry it. If I'm in Louisville or Indy I'll go to Whole Foods, Fresh Market, or Trader Joe's.

Chuckr1277152934.821162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area
doglover31277287636.279544 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

here is the recipe again Love to re­ad and thank you ladies for the suggestions.

Mizithra Browned Butter Pasta, see NOTES

By: Donna
"The mizithra cheese adds a unique taste to this yummy dish!"
"This comes from the famous Spaghetti Factory in San Diego. My husband loved it so much I had to figure out how to make it."

Ingredients

1 pound spaghetti, Dreamfields if watching carbs
1 cup butter
3/4 pound Mizithra cheese, has to be this cheese, is what makes the dish.

Directions

Cook pasta in large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente. DO NOT OVERCOOK, Drain.
You can also saute coarsely chopped onions and garlic along with fresh sliced mushrooms in butter or extra virgin olive oil THAN stir them in the butter when it is ready and caramelized to a golden brown.
When pasta is almost done, start slowly melting butter over medium heat until golden caramel brown(has to be browned but NOT burnt). Skim butter solids off top. Toss pasta with butter. Sprinkle with cheese to taste.
This is the famous dish which legend tells us was eaten by Homer while writing his epics. Mizithra cheese is a Greek cheese made from goats milk and is semi-hard. It can be difficult to find and many cheese purveyors will not be familiar with it. Find a local Greek store and they can get it, normally at a very affordable price. Note the recipe says to add the cheese to taste. The recipe is very versatile, add sautéed mushrooms or substitute olive oil for very simple changes. Excellent as a side dish or light meal. posted by by DIGITALBLISTER
Myzithra is very salty but it balances out very well with the sweetness of the butter. I would give it 10 stars if I could! Great recipe!!! by PureIce23 I see now you say this isn't a salty cheese at all, doesn't matter, recipe sounds great to me.
posted by MARI BOYD
We are also fans of the Spaghetti Factory in San Diego. This recipe is wonderful and simple to make. I serve this with baguette sliced in bite-sized pieces with olive oil, crush clove of garlic and more of the grated myzithra cheese for dipping.
posted by stamarex
I make this with pine nuts and green peas, I also brown garlic in the butter before adding the other ingredients. Then add some sweet dried basil and black pepper. YUM!!!
so, as you can see you can add anything you prefer to this, me, would like sauteed onions, mushrooms and garlic I think.

Page 1 of 1