Better Than Black Friday
17 Members and 13494 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

What do you do with tenderized round steak?

Started 1274145434.31 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1274632525.75 by India Rose

I have 7 frozen packages of it and don't know how to cook it.  Is it the same thing as cubed steak? 

We don't fry! 

Can you bake it, grill it or crockpot it?

Recipes?

I would really appreciate help.

Thank you!

Mima

Page 1 of 1
Mochahoney1274145956.0532486 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007middle Mississippi

we use tenderized round steak for a couple of things. we like to brown it ( not frying ,really. just browning season/lightly floured pieces in a few tablespoons of oil) and then add onions and water and simmer on the stove top for about an hour until really tender, then serve with rice. sometimes when I do this I add a can of tomato sauce to the simmering liquid...makes a delicious gravy.

or we cut them into strips and saute them until browned and tender and use them in fajitas or stir fry with vegies.

~BE BRAVE~

butcherbab­e11274148320.08741 PostsRegistered 3/9/2010

It hasn't been tenderized as much as a cube steak! Only one time thru the machine. I use it for fajitas, pounded, marinated and grilled, or in the crock pot for a baked steak kind of dish. Round steak is a great go to meat. Tenderized is a bonus!

GoodStuff1274150757.75715483 PostsRegistered 11/11/2008

Round steak isn't my favorite cut; it tends to be a bit tough and dry if you don't cook it properly.  I like to sprinkle it with meat tenderizer, pierce the steak all over with a fork, and then let it marinate in the refrigerator in your marinade of choice for several hours.  You can use a prepared teriyaki sauce, a prepared marinade from a flavor packet, or a favorite of ours is a mixture of worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, minced garlic or garlic powder, and a little lemon juice or mild rice vinegar. 

I find round steak works well thinly sliced and quickly stir-fried on a hot skillet or wok with oriental vegetables, or in fajitas, or stir-fried or quickly grilled in thin strips and served as a meat main dish.  You don't want to overcook it. 

Some people use round steak in stews, pot roasts, or braised meat dishes, but honestly I'd prefer a moister, thicker cut like chuck in those.

Last edited on 5/19/2010

Last edited on 5/19/2010

Scooby Doo1274153355.211152 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Western U.S.

Oven Swiss Steak

1 1/2 lb round steak

1/4 c flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 16 oz can stewed tomatoes

1/2 c celery, chopped

1/2 c carrots, chopped

2 Tab onion, chopped

1/2 tssp worcestershire sauce

1/4 c cheese, shredded (or more)

Pound the flour and salt into the meat (I use the edge of a small plate).  Brown in oil.  Put the meat into a dutch oven or casserole with lid.  Blend remaining flour with drippings in skillet.  Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.  Cook, stirring constantly, till mixture boils.  Pour over the meat.  Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 1/2 hours or till tender.  Top with cheese; return to oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted.  Makes 4 servings.

Scooby Doo1274154440.8531152 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Western U.S.

Barbeque Steak

2 lb round steak

2 Tab seasoned flour

2 Tab shortening

1 can tomato soup

1/3 c onion chopped

1/3 c celery chopped

1 clove garlic minced

2 Tab brown sugar

2 Tab worcestershire sauce

2 Tab lemon juice

2 tsp prepared yellow mustard

4 drops tabasco sauce

Pound the flour into the meat.  Brown in the shortening.  In a separate bowl blend the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat.  Cover, cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours.  Baste once in a while.

Scooby Doo1274155321.8871152 PostsRegistered 10/17/2006Western U.S.

I made this yesterday.  I just threw it together so I don't have an exact recipe, but it was really good.

1 lb tenderized round steak, seasoned with Mrs. Dash and pepper, dredged with flour.  Brown both sides in oil.  Drain all the oil and add 1 can mushroom soup, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 can of water (or more), 1 tea beef bouillon.  Throw in a couple of slices of onion and half a sliced green pepper.  Cook on low heat until tender, about 1 hour.  Serve with mashed potatoes.

sue-p1274155926.172825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

mima,

I have a recipe that I have made for years and recently posted on RS for another poster. I used to make it when the boys were young and they thought it was such a treat to have "steak" for dinner!   Hence the name..........

"BIG DEAL" STEAK HOT DISH

1-1/2 # round steak, cut into serving pieces
2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. shortening (Crisco)
1-28 oz. can of whole or diced tomatoes
1/2  tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup raw rice
1 onion, sliced thin

Butter bottom and sides of glass casserole (2 qt.)
Dredge steak in mixture of flour, paprika, salt, and pepper; brown in shortening.
Place browned steak in casserole.
Make a gravy from leftover flour mixture plus 1/2 cup hot water.
Pour over steak and then add tomatoes, rice and top with the sliced onion rings.
Bake 1 hour, 30 minutes at 350 degrees (covered).
sue-p   5/17/10

sue-p

mima1274184821.54714703 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Wow, thank you so much!  When I get to work, I'll print this thread off (no printer at home).

Love the variety of recipes.  I have never had tenderized round steak, so wasn't sure how to cook it.  My daughter said it was cubed steak and I don't like cubed steak fixed the traditional way (breaded & fried).  Glad it isn't tenderized as much.

Your recipes sound wonderful.

Thanks again.

Mima

Angel251274189516.747941 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009

This one is very quick and easy, and no clean up for pans. Very flavorful

Pepper Steak  ~Angel25

1 Lb round steak
1 Lg. green pepper, sliced
1 Lg. onion, sliced
1/4 Cup butter
1 1 oz pkg Brown gravy mix

Using a tenderizer, pound the meat good on both sides.  Place meat on a sheet of aluminum foil.  (Making sure it is big enough to wrap up the entire piece of meat and seal all of the edges to keep the juice in). Place sliced peppers and onion on top of the steak.  Sprinkle the gravy mix over the steak and vegetables  and bring the sides up, add 1/2 cup of water and seal all the edges.  Bake in the oven.   

TEMP:  350*                TIME:  45 MIN.                SERVES:  4
Last edited on 5/18/2010

Last edited on 5/18/2010

Cindy Shop­per1274189602.0310677 PostsRegistered 11/14/2007

I crockpot it, with onions, garlic, mushrooms, pototoes, 1/2 cup red wine. (dry). Salt and pepper, and whatever else.

Angel251274189848.643941 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009

Chicken Fried Steak ~ Angel25 

Just like Grandma used to make. This is very good A+ Comfort food. My husband & kids loves this. Enjoy !!

2/3 cup flour 
1 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 
2 pounds top round steak, tenderized, about 1/2-inch thick 
2 eggs 
2 tablespoons cream 
1/2 cup vegetable oil 
2 cups saltine cracker crumbs, rolled fine 
1 onion, sliced 
1 /2 cup cream 
2 cups chicken broth

Mix 1/2 cup of flour with the salt and pepper. Pound the mixture into both sides of the meat with the edge of a heavy plate or a mallet.  Cut the meat into serving size pieces.  Beat the eggs together with the 2 tablespoons of cream. Heat the oil in a heavy iron skillet over moderately high heat. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the flour. Dredge the steaks in the remainder of the flour, dip in the egg mixture, and then into the cracker crumbs.  Add to the hot oil.  Brown the steaks well, turn and brown the other side.  Reduce heat to medium, cover the skillet, and  cook for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the steaks are cooked through and  tender.  Chicken-fried steak should be well done, but not dry.  Remove the steaks from the pan, and drain on brown paper bags.  Keep warm.  Add the onion slices to the pan, saute quickly and remove from pan.

Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat in the skillet, and stir in 3 tablespoons of          
 flour. Stir well to loosen and incorporate any particles in the bottom of the pan and
 cook for 1 -to-2 minutes.  Stir in the  1/2 cup of cream, then the chicken stock.  Season
 with Worcestershire and hot sauce.  Top the meat with gravy.  Serve with mashed
 potatoes, green beans and biscuits.

demitra1274190579.791545 PostsRegistered 9/6/2006

Scooby Doo.............You made me remember that my late Mom used to beat flour into round steak WITH THE EDGE OF A SAUCER! Had actually forgotten about that. (She made her version of "Swiss Steak" with browned round steak, potatoes, carrots, and onions.)

Thanks for the memory!

stilltamn8r1274197377.05313953 PostsRegistered 6/14/2006So Cal

We always browned it in a skillet and then poured in a can  or two of stewed tomatoes, covered and simmered till tender- uncover and cook till the tomatoes are  as thick as you like, or alternately, thin out with a little red wine or broth- great on noodles or mashed potato

mallemo1274198405.59710075 PostsRegistered 7/1/2007Minnesota

This might be a dumb question and maybe I just have not noticed it before in the meat counter. The stores actually sell a product called "tenderized" round steak?

mima1274273018.6714703 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 5/18/2010 mallemo said:

This might be a dumb question and maybe I just have not noticed it before in the meat counter. The stores actually sell a product called "tenderized" round steak?

I have no idea to your question!  LOL  We bought a 1/4 of a beef.  My mom also bought 1/4 and my daughter bought the other 1/2.

I told my mom to just order mine to be cut like she has hers cut.

I got 6 or 7 packages of tenderized round steak.  I didn't have a clue as to what to do with it.  I would have rather had mine regular round steak.  I've made regular round steak, but not tenderized round steak.

I haven't even opened a package yet, so I didn't know what it looked like.  My daugher said there are 4 pcs. per package.  My daughter makes chicken fried steak with it but I don't fry.  So other than chicken fried steak, I didn't know what you did with it.

Thank you so much for all your replies.  I need to thaw out a package and give one of your recipes a whirl.

Thanks again!

Mima

candy kiss­es1274287299.86130 PostsRegistered 5/5/2008Missouri

Mima, My favorite way to fix it is cut in serving size pieces. Place in crockpot and add one can of Campbells Beefy Mushroom soup. Cook until tender. The soup makes a great gravy for mashed potatoes.

Also good is place meat in crockpot and add canned tomatoes, onion, carrots, and peas. Season with salt and pepper. No need to brown meat first with either recipe. Cook until tender.

Actually you can cook it just as you always cooked round steak. Tenderized round steak is run through a machine by the butcher to make it more tender. Most grocery stores have a butcher on duty and will do this service free for the asking of pre packaged round steak.

PinkyPetun­ia1274288296.2734571 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004NJ

How would you fix the regular round steak?  You can prepare the tenderized one the same way. 

You don't have to actually deep fry the tenderized round steak, just panfry it on either side in a nonstick pan with a tiny bit of oil.

mouser291274632316.25329 PostsRegistered 11/30/2008Ohio

Mima, here is my round steak recipe.  My family loved this recipe.  Hope you do too.

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Pepper steak with Rice

3 cups hot cooked rice

1 lb. lean beef round steak cut ½" thick

1 tablespoon paprika

2 tablespoons butter or margarine

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1-1/2 cups beef broth

1 cup sliced green onions, including tops

2 green peppers, cut in strips (or chopped if preferred)

2 tablespoons cornstarch

¼ cup water

¼ cup soy sauce

2 large fresh tomatoes or 1 can chopped tomatoes, drained

While rice is cooking, pound steak to ¼ inch thickness.  Cut into ¼ inch wide strips.  Sprinkle meat with paprika and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients.  Using a large skillet , brown meat in butter.  Add garlic and broth.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir in onions and green peppers.  Cover and cook 5 minutes more.  Blend cornstarch, water and soy sauce.  Stir into meat mixture.  Cook stirring until clear and thickened - about 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes and stir gently.  Serve over beds of fluffy rice.  Makes 6 servings

Pat

India Rose1274632525.7474205 PostsRegistered 4/30/2007

I like to use round steak for Swiss steak and add sliced peppers, mushrooms and onions...let it simmer for about 45 min.

"Freedom is lost gradually from an uninterested, uninformed, and uninvolved people".
Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 1