New Holiday Decor
73 Members and 16708 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

REAMES FROZEN EGG NOODLES IN CHICKEN BROTH

Started 1270160729.88 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1270254238 by cuzisedso

OK. this is carb over load, but it is a must have for our family for Easter dinner.  I know a lot of you RS cooks also make this dish and I was wondering if you make it the same way or add other spices?

I simmer Reames frozen Egg noodles in Chicken broth with salt and pepper.  I also add a drop of yellow food coloring for a rich golden color.  I simmer until noodles are tender and broth has thicken to a sauce/gravy.  We like to eat them on top of our mashed potatoes...yes, I know!  {#emotions_dlg.cursing}  it is so good and is a comfort food.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

Page 1 of 1
luvrecipes1270161191.437142 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010texas

If i use broth instead of stock i grate a little carrot,celery,onion, in mine .gives a little more flavor

sue-p1270161655.622825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota

chicagoan,

Thanks for your recipe ........yes, it is a lot of carbs but it sounds too hearty to overeat.

I love Rheams noodles.   I will try eating them over mashed potatoes sometime.  

Happy Easter to you and yours!!   Susan

Last edited on 4/1/2010

Last edited on 4/1/2010

sue-p

Chicagoan1270162108.772681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 4/1/2010 luvrecipes said:

If i use broth instead of stock i grate a little carrot,celery,onion, in mine .gives a little more flavor

luvrecipes... Thanks for the tip, I just bought Penzeys Chicken base and thught I would add a little bit of that to my broth and some onion powder.

Robin ....

Chicagoan1270162455.412681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 4/1/2010 sue-p said:

chicagoan,

Thanks for your recipe ........yes, it is a lot of carbs but it sounds too hearty to overeat.

I love Rheams noodles.   I will try eating them over mashed potatoes sometime.  

Happy Easter to you and yours!!   Susan

Last edited on 4/1/2010

Hi Sue...That's how we eat them   It was funny...on Thanksgiving, my SIL's family shared Thanksgiving with us and we had to teach them how to eat the noodles on your potatoes..lol  My SIL had already learned the family way.They all liked them and are also coming for Easter dinner, they now know the tradition!

Robin ....

Nascarfan481270167093.5171525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

OMG, when I met my husband 16 years ago, I went to his mothers house for Thanksgiving.  They served these noodles over mashed potatoes. I had never seen this before but he grew up with it.  We have to have it whenever we make a turkey dinner. I've asked him and his mother repeatedly where this tradition came from.  His mother said it was something she grew up with also, but doesn't know where it came from.  So happy to know other people eat this also.  We don't add food coloring, just make a basic sauce/gravy. When my mother-in-law grew up, they made fresh noodles but now we just use the frozen noodles.  Sooo delicious, couldn't imagine a Thanksgiving without it.

luvrecipes1270169307.92142 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010texas

I also grew up with these and still make my own noodles because i like thinner noodles.we have these any time we roast a chicken or turkey. and always over mashed potatoes.
we aso put our chicken &dumpling over mashed potatoes GO FIGURE{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

debcakes1270173698.431886 PostsRegistered 11/18/2006

Never heard of it, but i like all of the ingredients! Never met a carb I didn't like.

Chicagoan1270175260.7272681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 4/1/2010 Nascarfan48 said:

OMG, when I met my husband 16 years ago, I went to his mothers house for Thanksgiving.  They served these noodles over mashed potatoes. I had never seen this before but he grew up with it.  We have to have it whenever we make a turkey dinner. I've asked him and his mother repeatedly where this tradition came from.  His mother said it was something she grew up with also, but doesn't know where it came from.  So happy to know other people eat this also.  We don't add food coloring, just make a basic sauce/gravy. When my mother-in-law grew up, they made fresh noodles but now we just use the frozen noodles.  Sooo delicious, couldn't imagine a Thanksgiving without it.

Hi Nascarfan48.... My mom grew up with them also and has always madehomemade noodles.  I take the shortcut and buy Reames noodles.  Is your husband from the south?  I always thought it was southern tradition, my mom is from Central IL but has southern roots.

Robin ....

Nascarfan481270228956.2071525 PostsRegistered 9/6/2009

Chicagoan, no his family is not from the south. Both DH and his mom grew up in Rockford actually.  Her mothers family is from Iowa.  I've been asking for years, but nobody in the family knows where this tradition came from. I was wondering if it was a Swedish dish cuz some of her family is Swedish.

Baxjaxmom1270232254.0272508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Carb overload or not, the Reames noodles are the absolute Best!! I'm pretty "finnicky" about noodles and just cannot eat the store bought dried ones that come out "slick" and with no texture - just my personal taste. I like a "chewy" noodle so when I was introduced to Reames, WOW. I had never heard of them and I think someone here on RS mentioned them or had a recipe using them is how I learned about them. I didn't even expect to find them in my local grocery store but, lo and behold, they had them! Now I'm never without them in my freezer!!!  They are exactly like I expect a noodle to be: nice and thick and when cooked just right, they have the texture I love. I now use them to make Chicken and Dumplings in place of what I used to use as dumplings. I too, serve the chicken and dumplings over mashed potatoes. I'm so glad to hear that other people do this because I have always felt guilty, as though I was being overboard on my choice of the combination of noodles and mashed potatoes. The dish (noodles over mashed potatoes) is probably not something we want to indulge in several times a week, but an occasional splurge is so worth it!! Bring on the comfort food now and then! It's good for the soul. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

BAXJAXMOM

DebbieDD1270232773.838109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

Frozen noodles???  I have never heard of this.  What does the packaging look like.

I'm in NJ.  Wonder if I can find them.

Chicagoan1270232863.8732681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 4/2/2010 Baxjaxmom said:

Carb overload or not, the Reames noodles are the absolute Best!! I'm pretty "finnicky" about noodles and just cannot eat the store bought dried ones that come out "slick" and with no texture - just my personal taste. I like a "chewy" noodle so when I was introduced to Reames, WOW. I had never heard of them and I think someone here on RS mentioned them or had a recipe using them is how I learned about them. I didn't even expect to find them in my local grocery store but, lo and behold, they had them! Now I'm never without them in my freezer!!!  They are exactly like I expect a noodle to be: nice and thick and when cooked just right, they have the texture I love. I now use them to make Chicken and Dumplings in place of what I used to use as dumplings. I too, serve the chicken and dumplings over mashed potatoes. I'm so glad to hear that other people do this because I have always felt guilty, as though I was being overboard on my choice of the combination of noodles and mashed potatoes. The dish (noodles over mashed potatoes) is probably not something we want to indulge in several times a week, but an occasional splurge is so worth it!! Bring on the comfort food now and then! It's good for the soul. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it! {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

BAXJAXMOM

LOL....they also sell dumplings, cut more like a square.  They are the best noodles, IMO, why make homemade.  Enjoy your noodles, I will think of you when I eat them on Easter! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Robin ....

qvcnewbieg­irl1270232882.376051 PostsRegistered 2/7/2009Denver, CO

I have never heard of Reames frozen noodles...but I am going to the store today and hoping I can find some!!!!  I love noodles and carb overload or not...putting that on top of mashed potatoes sounds so good!!!

The greatest thing~you'll ever learn~is just to love~and be loved in return.

Wheatchick11270233570.9033210 PostsRegistered 12/17/2008The Merry Old Land of Oz
On 4/2/2010 DebbieDD said:

Frozen noodleitalians???  I have never heard of this.  What does the packaging look like.

I am originally from Kansas and I was raised on Reames.  I spent the last 24 years living in New Jersey (until last year) and was on a constant quest for the elusive noodle.  I searched non-stop and never found them.  There were no frozen noodles of any brand actually.

I always thought it was because of all the Italian pastas in the frozen section.  NJ seems more "geared" to Italian food.  I spent 24 years using the fresh noodles from the Dutch markets, even though they were dried.  There was NO comparison.  The first thing I cooked when we moved back to Kansas was Reames noodles.

LIFE - it's what happens while you are busy making plans. Man makes plans - God laughs.

Chicagoan1270234472.5672681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND

This is Reames website and they have recipes, they also just changed the look of their packaging.

http://www.reamesfoods.com/detail.php?bc=22&cid=7&pid=840

Robin ....

DebbieDD1270238274.5178109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004
On 4/2/2010 Wheatchick1 said:
On 4/2/2010 DebbieDD said:

Frozen noodleitalians???  I have never heard of this.  What does the packaging look like.

I am originally from Kansas and I was raised on Reames.  I spent the last 24 years living in New Jersey (until last year) and was on a constant quest for the elusive noodle.  I searched non-stop and never found them.  There were no frozen noodles of any brand actually.

I always thought it was because of all the Italian pastas in the frozen section.  NJ seems more "geared" to Italian food.  I spent 24 years using the fresh noodles from the Dutch markets, even though they were dried.  There was NO comparison.  The first thing I cooked when we moved back to Kansas was Reames noodles.

Thanks for the reply!  I guess that's why I have never seen them or heard. Too bad they are not available here.  Maybe one day....

luvrecipes1270239316.95142 PostsRegistered 1/31/2010texas

Hi Debbiedd.

I have found if my store doesn't have something i want ask the manager if they can get it for me ,works most of the time.

lavendersa­ge1270241614.335304 PostsRegistered 3/25/2009

hi Chgo,

We also love noodles over mashed potatoes ♥ I like both the Reames frozen or the kluski in the bag off of the shelf. There is also a noodle made in Oakland, Illinois that we use too...it is sold in grocery stores in Illinois...I don't know if they are sold elsewhere...theirs is not as chewy or thick as Reames.

~ lavender ♥

lenel1270253633.6720 PostsRegistered 7/5/2008

I also grew up with homemade noodles.  Rheams are good and when I get through cooking them in the buillion, I add a can of cream of chicken soup and the low fat works.  so yummy and you do not have to make a sauce.

cuzisedso1270254238162 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007

My family always has this dish too! My mom makes the best homemade noodles but I use the Reams and they are almost as good. And the potatoes are a must. Maybe it's an Illinois thing?

Page 1 of 1