TSV(R) Preview
53 Members and 14438 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Canning

Started 1340139256.333 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1340390572.747 by stonesgirl

Does anyone here enjoying canning foods whether from your own garden, the farmer's markets, etc? I love it and am starting to develop my ideas for this year. Of course I do the old favorites each year (pasta sauce, jams, pie fillings, applesauce, etc) but also like to try new recipes to preserve all the wonderful foods from our garden and the farmer's market.

What are some of your favorite ideas, recipes, websites, etc.?

Yesterday, I canned 20 jars of strawberry jam, 10 jars of strawberry rhubarb jam, and 3 jars of rhubarb in a light syrup. I need to wait for more rhubarb to grow to can the rest that I don't use fresh. Also, I might flash freeze some strawberries for smoothies and some slices for shortcakes.

Black raspberries will be ready in another 1-2 weeks...I checked them yesterday. Mmmm, can't wait!

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.” Mark Frost

Page 1 of 1
Brabls1340147281.7514740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

I lke canned peaches. You can get them ripe & they have so much more flavor than the commercially canned or frozen,

Racer Girl1340154457.193029 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

Brabls -- yes, canned peaches a very flavorful.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body. But rather, to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming .... WOW what a ride.” Mark Frost

Gogos1340154663.167585 PostsRegistered 6/7/2006California

My husband and I started pitting our Japanese plums to make freezer jam on Thursday. We found out today that these plums that grow in our yard are expensive if you buy them and the Jam is very expensive. We have trees all over our community here. Most neighbors have them. We may have found a culinary treasure.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" John 14:6

stonesgirl1340155856.1686 PostsRegistered 12/8/2011

Racer Girl

I'd love to hear of some of your favorites as well. It sounds like you're experienced at canning.

I'm growing a vegetable garden for the first time and I want to try some canning for the first time also. I bought the Ball Blue Book and the canning supplies, the garden is doing very well.

However the canning is rather intimidating...I'm afraid i'll kill someone (botulism) {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Racer Girl1340158791.593029 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

stonesgirl,

What items do you have planted in your garden? Do you have tomatos, onions, green peppers, basil and hot peppers? If so, a pasta sauce and salsa would be great. I usually make a pasta sauce with pureed veggies (for smoothness) and it become my universal sauce for noodles, pizza, etc.

Some of our veggie favorites: bruchetta, pasta sauce, salsa, jalepeno jelly

Some of our fruit favorites: jams, applesauce, pie fillings, fruits in light syrups, fruit butters

On my try list for this year: radish relish

Many items in my garden I will freeze instead of can too. Last year my sweet onions didn't do well, so I bought a huge box at the farmer's market for $4. I brought them home and diced them, then froze them in freezer baggies. From the garden I froze the extra peppers (all types including hot varieties), small tomatoes, beans, corn, etc.

Britbrit131340218017.522368 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011Portland Oregon,The Great NorthWest

Racer, I can every year, I just got done with sugar free strawberry jam...I do peaches, pears fruit cocktail...beans tomatoes.....pickles..relish..I cant find my zucchini relish recipe though..I'm so bummed...

I also make so many different kinds of jams...I don't use a lot of recipes..I use the back of the box of sure jell for the jams... I have been canning for over 32 years...I used to can with my Mom...who has been gone for 6 years...miss her so much...I love making applesauce .

A couple years ago I started taking my daughter with me to pick pick the apples at hood river ...and we can it together...I want her to have the love of the canned foods...there's not a lot of us left anymore....like baked breads..Love to bake...bread out of the oven with hot jam..amazing... My breakfast meal would be sliced home make bread...you make your own potatoes and fresh ranch eggs.....and use your jam...and have apple sauce I love to go pick my apples and can it with my daughter..

I LOVE to have a meal with everything something I have made...

I am looking for a good fresh marinara sauce to can this year cause I love to make home made pizza...and I DONT LIKE THE store bought stuff..lately iv been using a garlic oil lightly for my sauce...very good... To me there is nothing like making it your self..

Thanks racer for the thread....one of my favorite things...I think ill go open me up a jar of peaches...TY for the trip down memory lane...I was just looking to see about making some

strawberry rhubarb jam..while the berries are still here!!!! GOOd job GF on making canned foods for your family...Hugs, Brittany

Britbrit131340218030.322368 PostsRegistered 7/12/2011Portland Oregon,The Great NorthWest

sorry double post..GRR

Last edited on 6/20/2012

Last edited on 6/20/2012

Racer Girl1340242504.2933029 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006

Hi Britbrit,

There sure are great memories attached with the canning for me as well. I remember my grandmother's homemade bread with the fresh jam -- wow could she cook...what an amazing woman with so many natural talents. Unfortunately, she passed away during me early childhood. I remember having a garden with my mother, picking berries, and canning different types of foods with my mother growing up. My girls are still toddlers but they love to help in the kitchen and with the garden...and of course eating the homemade bread and fresh jam too.

This morning I made the radish relish and am curious what it will taste like after it ages for a few weeks. I've never had radishes in my garden before but decided to pop a few seeds in this spring. Now I have oodles of radishes and I'm not sure what else to do with them besides add them to salads.

My mint plants are growning like crazy so I made a batch of mint simple syrup for drinks and dessert add-ins. It has great flavor!

SStar1340248755.683941 PostsRegistered 1/11/2007GA

RacerGirl, I try to can everything possible that comes out of our garden.

I want to know one thing. Why is it always 95 degrees when it's time to can? Is it a law? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

mschrief1340291292.533934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

I LOVE to can. I can just about anything! My favorite thing to pressure can are meals in a jar, ground beef, chicken breast. I make blackberry jam from local, wild blackberries, and I also can blackberry juice which makes great additions to summertime iced tea and it is good for you!

I've canned butter, fresh Pacific tunafish, all manners of veggies, roasted red peppers are a favorite, apple pie filling, cherry pie filling, bacon...and on and on. I'm sort of addicted to it. I've never had anything turn "bad" and never made anyone sick with my canned foods. I follow the "rules" and do it right tho, unlike some.

Home canned foods - the original fast food!

depglass1340293982.52722673 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Canned butter? Canned bacon? Wow. I can't even imagine that much work. I don't mind the canning process, its the cleanup. I'm not exactly a tidy canner.

fuzzbe20001340299332.14111 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Racer Girl: Could you tell me how you make your mint simple syrup? ................. and do you keep it in regular glass jam type jars? Thanks so much!!

Penny from Maine

jtdmum1340325422.633511 PostsRegistered 1/26/2008
I love canning. I've never attempted meats, but I do all kinds of veggies, jams, & pickles. I love picalilly. One of my fav summer things is a good hotdog grilled until it blisters om a fresh roll with a little mustard and picalilly. Would live to hear about pie fillings.

Racer Girl1340389066.583029 PostsRegistered 7/31/2006
On 6/21/2012 fuzzbe2000 said:

Racer Girl: Could you tell me how you make your mint simple syrup? ................. and do you keep it in regular glass jam type jars? Thanks so much!!

Penny from Maine

Penny -- i made a simple syrup in a saucepan on the stove by boiling 1C water, 1C sugar, and 1 1/2-2C mint leaves until the sugar dissolved and the mint smelled the strength that I wanted. The I poured it into a glass jam style canning jar, cooled, then sealed and put it in the fridge. Chocolate mint tastes great too.

The canning jars are great jars for storing things in the fridge airtight including keeping lettace fresh.

stonesgirl1340390572.74786 PostsRegistered 12/8/2011
On 6/19/2012 Racer Girl said:

stonesgirl,

What items do you have planted in your garden? Do you have tomatos, onions, green peppers, basil and hot peppers? If so, a pasta sauce and salsa would be great. I usually make a pasta sauce with pureed veggies (for smoothness) and it become my universal sauce for noodles, pizza, etc.

Some of our veggie favorites: bruchetta, pasta sauce, salsa, jalepeno jelly

Some of our fruit favorites: jams, applesauce, pie fillings, fruits in light syrups, fruit butters

On my try list for this year: radish relish

Many items in my garden I will freeze instead of can too. Last year my sweet onions didn't do well, so I bought a huge box at the farmer's market for $4. I brought them home and diced them, then froze them in freezer baggies. From the garden I froze the extra peppers (all types including hot varieties), small tomatoes, beans, corn, etc.

Hello again,

I have tomatoes (beefsteak and cherry), jalapenos, habanero, serrano peppers, cucumbers and squash. My tomatoes are doing extremely well, tons of tomatoes none with a blush of red yet though. The peppers are starting to finally grow. The squash and cucumbers I think are going to end of taking over my yard...literally.

Can you give me some suggestions on things to can that are pretty fail-safe. (Things the beginning canner will have success with). And what are things that might be a little too much to try my first time canning?
Thanks

Page 1 of 1