TSV(R) Preview
89 Members and 14338 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Sloppy Joes made with chicken gumbo soup?????????

Started 1264701456 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1265243956 by Lannie
Has anyone ever had this and what does it taste like? A co-worker was raving about sloppy joes made this way. I believe she said it also had tomato paste and mustard in it. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for these? I may just have to give these a try, but they sound wierd!

Page 1 of 1
dmginca1264701971690 PostsRegistered 12/22/2005
Hello Lannie,
I have a similar sounding recipe and it is very good. The soup does not give it any distinctive taste one way or the other, rather it is the mustard and in my recipe ketchup, that flavor the mixture. Give it a go! I am sure you'll find a happy new twist for your recipe files.
:)
Dawn

sue-p12647028332825 PostsRegistered 8/11/2008minnesota
Lannie,
This idea for Sloppy Joes came from Campbells Soups way back in the 60's. I make it this way all of the time. I do not have a written recipe but you probably can get one by going to the Campbells site.
I just use 1 # ground beef, browned with some chopped onion. Drain off all fat. Then add the soup, undiluted, and some Heinz ketsup,(maybe 1/4 cup) and a small amount of prepared yellow hotdog mustard, to your taste. That is it! Stir and taste for a flavor that suits you. Simmer for 15 minutes and serve on buns.
Try it....the soup just disappears into the sauce and does not distract. I use some pepper but no salt or other seasonings.
I always keep one can of Chicken Gumbo in the pantry just for this. It is sometimes hard to find the soup and they have raised the price and now offer the soup as one of their "Light" varieties
If it is hard to find in your area, buy 2 when you find it because I am sure that you will want to make it again.................Susan
--
sue-p

sue-p

whispy12647047321531 PostsRegistered 8/2/2009
Lannie: Here are two versions of this soup. I think the second is geared toward adults, since there is more flavoring.
KID FRIENDLY SLOPPY JOES
Kids love this because it is milder than most and moms love it because it is SO easy.
1 lb. ground beef
3 Tbsp. catsup
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 can of (undiluted) condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup
Brown and crumble ground beef, drain fat.
Add remaining three ingredients. Mix well and simmer to desired thickness.
Sloppy Joes (using chicken gumbo soup)
2 lbs. ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
2 cans condensed chicken gumbo soup
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. mustard
3 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
Brown hamburger and onion in a large saucepan. Add soup, ketchup, mustard and worcestershire sauce. Simmer over medium heat until hot. Serve over hamburger buns.
whispy

ties that ­bind12647106913465 PostsRegistered 5/31/2007
Lanny, I think you are new to Recipe Swap...if so W~E~L~C~O~M~E~~~~~~~~~ to YOU....and, a big thank you, for the recipes for the Sloppy Joes with the gumbo soup....I love 'off the beaten track' recipes like this! I hope to see you around here often, as possible.....Welcome again...Love,Ties:-)

Lannie12647109341985 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Thank you all for your recipes & encouragement! I'm off to hunt for the chicken gumbo soup - thanks sue-p for the tip on the soup and the background - interesting!
I have printed off the recipes - thanks for your 2 whispy - it does look easy to make.
Edited to say "thanks for the welcome ties!" I pop in over here every so often and love all the good recipes and tips from you all.
--
Edited by Lannie at 01/28/2010 11:37 AM PST

Last edited on 1/28/2010

Angel251264717518941 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009
Lannie,
Don't just pop in please stay. You have to know how nice we all are and how helpful beings you pop in and out. So quit making yourself so tired from popping and just STAY:^O
Angel25

Lannie12647312131985 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Thanks Angel, so THAT'S why I've been so tired lately!! My time is so limited on the computer, but this is one of my favorite places to come and look. The only downside is all the recipes I want to try, and all the weight I'll gain if I do!

SusieLong1264740989187 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Here's the recipe I have. It is best cooked the day before so the flavors can blend. This recipe makes alot. I cut it in half and it's more than enough for the 3 of us. We always have enough for another day.
Sloppy Joes
2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey
1 cup each. chopped onion, celery and bell pepper
1-1/2 cup to 2 cup ketchup
2 TBSP. sugar
2 TBSP. cider vinegar
1 or1-1/2 TBSP. yellow mustard
1 TBSP. worchestershire sauce
1 can chicken gumbo soup- undiluted
salt and pepper to taste
Brown ground beef/turkey, I add onions, celery, and bell pepper while browning. Drain grease when done browning. Return to pan and add remaining ingredients, except salt. Simmer over low heat for 15 min. Remove from heat and let sit for 1 hr. to let flavors blend. taste and add salt as needed. Or make day ahead so flavors can blend, refrigerate and use next day. I never add the salt as it is fine without it. This is a really good sloppy joe recipe, the best I have ever made.
Susie

Lannie12647429541985 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Thanks Susie, your recipe looks really good. I noticed it uses proportionately more ketchup than the others, which I think I will try, as mustard is not my favorite and I don't want it to overpower the dish with it.
I noticed we are both registered on the same day and year!! I also used to be over at the other channel many years ago and then they went and cancelled their board. I know it's up again, but it just isn't the same and have stayed here and enjoyed it ever since.
Thanks again for the recipe - I appreciate it!

Angel251264748390941 PostsRegistered 6/13/2009
Lannie,
Look at it this way with all the poppin in and out your doing you will burn off your calories, so now you have no REAL excuse not to stay. LOL.
Angel25

ties that ­bind12647496063465 PostsRegistered 5/31/2007
Lannie, I agree with Angel 100%...keep on popping! Love,Ties:-)

Just Plain­ Crazy12647727005265 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009
Hi Susie,
WELCOME to RS and thanks for posting your recipe for sloppy joes. Hope you stop in often. This is the best place for recipes, answers and just plain having fun. The best group of people you could ask for. Hope to see you again soon.
Also, Lannie, if I haven't welcomed you in, WELCOME. That is neat that you two joined on the same day. Wow, we have twins on our RS board;-)
JPC
--
Edited by Just Plain Crazy at 01/29/2010 4:46 AM PST

Last edited on 1/29/2010

SusieLong1264800631187 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Jpc, Thanks for the welcome. I mostly just read the boards and hardly ever post. But if something comes up where I can help out or answer a question, I will pipe up and say something. I do enjoy reading all the great recipes that are posted here and have enjoyed making and eating several of them.
Susie

tesspoodle1264856141403 PostsRegistered 2/23/2007
My sister in law gave me this recipe many years ago...whenever I make sloppy joes this is how I do them...I have never made them any other way and I NEVER buy the stuff in the can...Tess

kachina624126517495316200 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
My mother found this recipe somewhere when I was in high school in the '50s. I think we had it at least once a week thereafter. I got so sick of it that I never even considered it as something to feed my own family. I think mom liked it because it was quick and easy. As I recall it was pretty good but I just got tired of it.
--
“Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.” ~ Anatole France

cuddlebug22126522646614 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010
Hi girls - i have been reading all your wonderful recipes and saw this Sloppy joes made with chicken gumbo soup and had to reply. I have been making this forever. The recipe is in the red Betty Croker cookbook. (don't know title). It's the only way to make it. This group has the best recipes i have seen in a long time. Coming here is like reading a magazine with all wonderful recipes. Glad to be a member and now will participate when i have something to say and give. ;-)

Lannie12652439561985 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Well, I tried it and I liked it! I did however have to add more ketchup than what I started with because the mustard tangy taste was too much for me. I guess I still like my "red" sloppy joes better, but I would make these again for a change of pace. It's funny how some of the old recipes get new again!
Forgot to add that I could only find the "light" chicken gumbo soup, but it seemed to work fine
--
Edited by Lannie at 02/03/2010 3:40 PM PST

Last edited on 2/3/2010

Page 1 of 1