Regular Contributor

Cake Pan Cake with Fluffy Bakeshop Frosting

/></span><br/> <br/> <span style=A good friend of my Mom's passed this recipe on to me a few weeks ago. She said it's one of her favorite cakes to make. I've seen this recipe in a lot of cookbooks called by different names, one being "Wacky Cake." I'd never tried the recipe but have always heard how wonderful it is. Well-Monday was the day...I was in the mood to bake, but didn't want a lot of dessert hanging around. This recipe fit the bill.

Oh my goodness-it's SO easy! It went together in no time flat. The cake is moist with a beautiful tender crumb-and just the right amount of chocolate flavor for me.

What a perfect cake to make when you're pressed for time.....AND when there's only 2 people in the house. Plus I love the fact that if you don't have eggs in the house, you can still bake a delicious cake for dessert.

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe Sharon-it's a winner for sure!

Carol

/></span><br/> <br/> <span style=CAKE PAN CAKE
(Source: Mom's friend Sharon)

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
6 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
1 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. cold water

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda in an ungreased 8" baking dish.

Make 3 holes in the dry ingredients; put oil in one hole, vinegar in the second hole, and vanilla in third hole. Pour cold water over all; stir well with a fork until evenly blended.

Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost with our favorite frosting.

The recipe can be doubled to make a 2-layer cake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I mixed it in the pan this time, but I think I'll mix it in a bowl the next time I make it-the cake sort of stuck to the bottom of the glass baking dish I used, so when I make it again, I'll give the bottom of the pan a light spritz of nonstick cooking spray.

Sharon said she frosts the cake with cream cheese frosting or buttercream....I decided to go with a "whipped cream" type frosting....this one was perfect for what I wanted.....I think it pairs nicely. I downsized this recipe I had in my files and ended up with just the right amount of frosting for the top of this delicious cake.

/></span><br/> <br/> <span style=SMALL BATCH FLUFFY BAKESHOP FROSTING
(Source: adapted from recipe goldmine)

3/4 c. milk
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 c. vegetable shortening
1/4 c. margarine (no substitutes)
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Mix milk with cornstarch. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; set aside to cool completely.

In a large bowl beat vegetable shortening, margarine and sugar on high speed of an electric mixer (if you have one, use the whip attachment) for 10 minutes.

Add the cooled milk mixture, vanilla and almond extract; beat until creamy. The mixture should look like whipped cream.

Frost cooled cake. This recipe is enough frosting for the top of an 8" square cake.

/></span></p>