TSV(R) Preview
167 Members and 17612 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Best Meatballs

Started 1334009400.233 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1335038040.307 by DiamondGirly

I am looking for the best meatballs recipe link I did a seach but, it showed no results. Chuckr posted the url but it found nothing. Can anyone help? Feel free to post your best meatball recipes here if you choose too. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 2
patbz1334010059.463904 PostsRegistered 7/25/2006White Mountains AZ

I buy meatballs by the bag at Walmart and then stew them in equal parts grape jelly and yellow mustard. I have been serving these as hors d'oeurves or main course (over egg noodles)for many yrs--always a crowd pleaser!

Phylly1334011998.9535 PostsRegistered 4/9/2010

My husband browns the meatballs like any other recipe, but then finishes cooking them in a pressure cooker. I think this process really tenderizes the meatballs. We love them! Hope that helps.

SophiaMarie1334012228.0436732 PostsRegistered 3/17/2010

If you really want the BEST meatballs ever, buy them already cooked and frozen, under the brand name "Cooked Perfect". I will NEVER make meatballs again. 16 meatballs to a 2 lb. bag. I get them in Publix and they can't keep them stock fast enough.

If I can get away with buying anything that makes my life easier, I'm all for it.

Try them - you won't be sorry.

Katey12611334012947.843061 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Thank you all I was looking for recipes to make. I'm grateful for all replys.

SophiaMarie I live in Texas we don't have Publix stores here.

PixieMouse1334013273.58432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007

1 lb. lean ground beef

1 egg

2T milk (optional)

medium grated onion (including juice from grating)

black pepper to taste

dried parsley (no set amount, mostly for color)

pinch of dry Italian herbs (rub between palms to crush really small)

garlic powder

Italian-seasoned bread crumbs

1/4 cup(ish) grated parmesan cheese

Mix everything together before adding the beef. Once the beef goes in, mix by hand ONLY to incorporate. Make one small patty, cook in a skillet and taste it -- BEFORE moving forward (to test for seasoning levels).

I bake them at 375 on a cookie sheet (about 15 minutes but check with meat thermometer). I roll mine on the small/medium size (about 12 meatballs per one pound of meat mixture).

Do NOT add any salt, since the bread crumbs and cheese already have salt, and this recipe works if you double/triple it, etc.

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Islandgirl­70321334013410.99312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 4/9/2012 SophiaMarie said:

If you really want the BEST meatballs ever, buy them already cooked and frozen, under the brand name "Cooked Perfect". I will NEVER make meatballs again. 16 meatballs to a 2 lb. bag. I get them in Publix and they can't keep them stock fast enough.

If I can get away with buying anything that makes my life easier, I'm all for it.

Thanks for the mention! I'll be looking for these at my Publix stores!

Katey12611334013871.163061 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Thank You PixieMouse I will try your recipe and its what I had in mind.

dfyre1334015868.5271158 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007

Pixiemouse - this is pretty much what I do, except as an old Italian, I don't actually measure anything except for one egg to each pound of meat. Often, I use meatloaf mix which is a mix of ground pork, veal and beef. I use an ice cream scoop to form the meatballs - keeps them uniform. If I want small ones (cocktail size or for soup) I use a cookie scoop.

PixieMouse1334015880.74432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007
On 4/9/2012 Katey1261 said:

Thank You PixieMouse I will try your recipe and its what I had in mind.

Katey, I didn't put in the amount for the Italian bread crumbs since I never really measure anything. Start with about 1/4 cup and add a little at a time (to the egg/onion/spices mixture before the meat goes in) until the consistency is approx. a little bit thicker than the consistency of cornbread batter. If you have any roasted garlic, throw it in. ;-)

This is the same recipe I use for meat loaf.

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Chuckr1334017486.8071162 PostsRegistered 1/2/2008Denver area

Usually, when I post a link,

I check it out to make sure its working OK.

I searched for "meatball" (singular) in the QVC 'Recipe Swap'

forum and a ton of threads showed up.

Here's the only actual link I've saved in my files, for a future attempt:

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20011129mailbo1129fnp1.asp

Try searching for the (singular) "meatball".

The QVC search engine is pretty dull... Smile

See if this works for you:

http://community.qvc.com/SearchResults/tabid/55/SearchTypeID/C13/SearchFilter/meatball/TypeID/1/SearchTime/all/Default.aspx

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

IamMrsG1334017819.371813 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Here's the recipe I use:

Meatballs

2 eggs

½ cup milk

Equivalent of 3 slices of white bread, crumbled (can use sandwich buns, etc.)

2 pounds ground chuck, saving the butcher paper it is wrapped in

½ cup onion, chopped

2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tablespoon fennel seed, crushed to crack 'shell'

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 450º.

Mix eggs, milk and crumbled bread well enough to thoroughly moisten the bread. Set aside as you chop the onion, parsley and garlic. Add these to the bread mixture. Add the fennel, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.

Add the ground chuck and mix quickly. Do not overwork the beef.

Using a scoop, measure out onto the butcher paper equal size portions until all the mixture is used. Quickly and gently roll each apportionment into a ball, placing onto a Pam sprayed jelly roll pan as you proceed.

Bake at 450º for 15 minutes, and begin the sauce. After 15 minutes, remove jelly roll pan from the oven, and turn over each meatball. Return to oven for another 15 minutes and continue with making the sauce. After 30 minutes, total, add meatballs to the waiting sauce. Stir gently, until each meatball is covered with the spaghetti sauce. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Allow to cool enough to refrigerate overnight.

If you want to put them in Spaghetti Sauce:

Spaghetti Sauce

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 medium-to-large onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

30 ounces tomato sauce

24 ounces tomato paste

2 envelopes (1½ ounces each) Spaghetti Sauce Mix with mushrooms

3 cups water

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon oregano leaves

1 large teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preheat a large sauce pot. When drips of water sizzle on it, add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and green pepper until softened, add garlic, stir and sauté another minute or two. Add the Spaghetti Sauce Mix and dried herbs, stirring to toast for only another minute. (It starts to burn right after you can smell the aroma of the herbs warming.)

Add the tomato sauce and paste, stir to distribute the paste. Start adding the water in 1 cup increments by pouring the water into the tomato sauce and paste cans to get as much of the contents into the sauce as possible. Do this also with the envelopes of the Spaghetti Sauce Mix.

Allow the sauce to just come to a thick, plopping kind of boil, then add the baked meatballs. Do a quick, gentle stir (do not break them) to get the meatballs covered with sauce, cover and turn off the heat. Allow the pot to sit undisturbed until it is cool enough to put into the refrigerator overnight.

Serve the next day.

csv3201334018309.466724 PostsRegistered 6/24/2007

The best meatballs I've ever had are Mad Hungry Lucinda Scala Quinn's. And I'm Italian! Just google Mad Hungry meatballs. You can't go wrong.

I'd be careful of the store bought frozen meatballs, you have no idea what ground beef source they are using. And they mix beef from different plants in the frozen meatballs and hamburgers.

AnnMarie-11334022151.7673537 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Western NY

Hi iamMrsG

Your recipes sound great, Thank you!

Why the 2 envelopes of spahgetti mixes? To add flavor I would guess.

Also, is that real parsley in the meatballs?

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

54 now, light-med skin tone, dark blonde hair, blue eyes

IamMrsG1334023949.021813 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

AnnMarie-1, the use of 2 envelopes of spaghetti sauce mix is for flavor. You could omit them, but would have to compensate with salt (notice there's none in the ingredient list) and spices/herbs of your choosing.

Yes, that is fresh parsley in the meatballs.

The trick to these two recipes is to make them a full day (at least) in advance, giving the flavors time to ripen.

Last edited on 4/9/2012

Last edited on 4/9/2012

LilBitMiss­ty1334024472.3836006 PostsRegistered 12/15/2009Washington State

katey1261..Nice to see you dear! I posted this a week or so ago..was always a fav!

Mama Mia Meatballs

2 cups cornflakes....CRUSHED

2 Tablespoons onions....diced small

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1 egg

2/3 cup applesauce

1/2 cup catsup

1 cup tomato soup

1/2 cup water

2 1/2 cups tomato juice

Mix cornflakes, onion. ground beef. salt, pepper, egg and applesauce. Shape into balls..will make about 24 balls. Place meatballs in a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a bowl, combine catsup, soup, water and tomato juice. Mix well then pour over meatballs. Bake at 350* for an hour.

Worrying is like rocking back and and forth in a rocking chair. It gives you something do to, but gets you nowhere!

PixieMouse1334028241.097432 PostsRegistered 1/19/2007
On 4/9/2012 dfyre said:

Pixiemouse - this is pretty much what I do, except as an old Italian, I don't actually measure anything except for one egg to each pound of meat. Often, I use meatloaf mix which is a mix of ground pork, veal and beef. I use an ice cream scoop to form the meatballs - keeps them uniform. If I want small ones (cocktail size or for soup) I use a cookie scoop.

Yup, one egg per pound of meat. If I have it, sometimes I'll add some pork sausage, too. I don't really measure, either, but I had to put something here as a recipe. LOL, "well put in this much parsley and that much garlic..."

cab19551334093353.6571199 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004southwest michigan

Sweet meatballs slow cooker

Cooked perfect brand angus is best

• 1 cup grape juice
  • 1 cup apple jelly
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 4 pounds frozen meatballs

1. In a small saucepan, combine the juice, jelly, ketchup and tomato sauce. Cook and stir over medium heat until jelly is melted; remove from the heat.
  2. Place meatballs in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Pour sauce over the top and gently stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until heated through.:) cb
Last edited on 4/10/2012

Last edited on 4/10/2012

forrestwolf1334096671.876025 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I actually buy my meatballs frozen from SAMS, their Italian style meatballs......They come in a small size and a large size meatball.....I buy small.......and then I like to make the Knorr brand Garlic and Herb sauce for them........They taste as good as any homemade I have had.........I always get compliments on them.........AND, when I want just a few for me, I put them on a paper towel and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes.........Talk about easy and tasty............Cool

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

DebbieDD1334108295.5278109 PostsRegistered 10/18/2004

Thanks! I just checked their website and these are sold in a Stop & Shop in my neighborhood. I am with you on making life easier where possible without sacrificing tasste. Can't wait to try this brand.

Katey12611334108325.313061 PostsRegistered 8/30/2008Texas

Thank you all for posting meatball recipes I will try them.

Chuckr thanks for taking the time to post the links I appreciate it.

Nightowlz1334108741.4179696 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We don't have a Publix. I looked online to see what stores carry these & only 2 in my area. One is Wal-Mart & not all carry them. I forgot to look when I was there today. I did find them at Braum's. All they had was the Homestyle Variety so I hope they are good. They should be good with the grape jelly & chili sauce.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

ROMARY1334109305.9216928 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010
On 4/9/2012 iamMrsG said:

Here's the recipe I use:

Meatballs

2 eggs

½ cup milk

Equivalent of 3 slices of white bread, crumbled (can use sandwich buns, etc.)

2 pounds ground chuck, saving the butcher paper it is wrapped in

½ cup onion, chopped

2 Tablespoons parsley, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 Tablespoon fennel seed, crushed to crack 'shell'

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 450º.

Mix eggs, milk and crumbled bread well enough to thoroughly moisten the bread. Set aside as you chop the onion, parsley and garlic. Add these to the bread mixture. Add the fennel, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.

Add the ground chuck and mix quickly. Do not overwork the beef.

Using a scoop, measure out onto the butcher paper equal size portions until all the mixture is used. Quickly and gently roll each apportionment into a ball, placing onto a Pam sprayed jelly roll pan as you proceed.

Bake at 450º for 15 minutes, and begin the sauce. After 15 minutes, remove jelly roll pan from the oven, and turn over each meatball. Return to oven for another 15 minutes and continue with making the sauce. After 30 minutes, total, add meatballs to the waiting sauce. Stir gently, until each meatball is covered with the spaghetti sauce. Cover the pot and turn off the heat. Allow to cool enough to refrigerate overnight.

If you want to put them in Spaghetti Sauce:

Spaghetti Sauce

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 medium-to-large onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

30 ounces tomato sauce

24 ounces tomato paste

2 envelopes (1½ ounces each) Spaghetti Sauce Mix with mushrooms

3 cups water

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon oregano leaves

1 large teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preheat a large sauce pot. When drips of water sizzle on it, add the olive oil. Sauté the onion and green pepper until softened, add garlic, stir and sauté another minute or two. Add the Spaghetti Sauce Mix and dried herbs, stirring to toast for only another minute. (It starts to burn right after you can smell the aroma of the herbs warming.)

Add the tomato sauce and paste, stir to distribute the paste. Start adding the water in 1 cup increments by pouring the water into the tomato sauce and paste cans to get as much of the contents into the sauce as possible. Do this also with the envelopes of the Spaghetti Sauce Mix.

Allow the sauce to just come to a thick, plopping kind of boil, then add the baked meatballs. Do a quick, gentle stir (do not break them) to get the meatballs covered with sauce, cover and turn off the heat. Allow the pot to sit undisturbed until it is cool enough to put into the refrigerator overnight.

Serve the next day.

This one looks good to me...........especially using crushed fennel. I have a new jar of fennel, which I will use in your recipe this weekend! Thanks!

Yellow Rose

IamMrsG1334155561.9671813 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Romary, I hope to hear that you enjoy your Spaghetti and Meatballs. I like fennel in my meatballs so much I won't make them if I don't have fennel in the house. As you can imagine, I put a little extra in, too.

P.S. While it cooks, be sure to keep that sauce stirred to prevent scorching. After I put the meatballs into the sauce, and give it a gentle stir, I turn off the stove and just let the pot sit there to cool. Enjoy!

Skylands1334155673.156342 PostsRegistered 5/30/2010
On 4/9/2012 patbz said:

I buy meatballs by the bag at Walmart and then stew them in equal parts grape jelly and yellow mustard. I have been serving these as hors d'oeurves or main course (over egg noodles)for many yrs--always a crowd pleaser!

Do you know and trust what Walmart or others put into your food, i.e., meatballs? Make your own for "the best" meatballs.

Page 1 of 2