Better Than Black Friday
121 Members and 17406 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Need Recipes For Cancer Patient On Liquid Diet

Started 1330026297.067 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1331503993.26 by snappyfrappy

I just got off the phone with my friend who has stomach cancer, and now spread to colon. She is on liquid diet, and I am looking for recipes that high in protein that can use blender. I am thinking about tofu, kale, spinach. I really appreciate if anyone can suggest some recipes. Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 1
kittyfan1330027660.9536029 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

When my late husband was on chemo I would make his milkshakes using ensure. He enjoyed them. Bless your friend.

blondegirl1330027960.0971791 PostsRegistered 7/21/2006

Ensure. You can either drink them cold or freeze them into milkshakes. There is a high(er) protein one too. The Target version is sometimes cheaper though they recently lowered their prices on the brand. They also have a 8 pack or something that may be cheaper still.

wareaglegp­bucks1330028148.287273 PostsRegistered 9/21/2011

Sorry to hear about your friend.I would do some research on stomach and colon cancer on the ner.

Check out tofu and soy- not sure of the recommendations for soy and cancer- esp in women.

You might check out some protein powders also. Also are you juicing or doing a smoothie?

Check with her to make sure certain foods won't interfer with the medications/ treatments she is on. I would search on nih.gov. No wheat products or gluten- they are supposdly nt good for cancer.

Any combo of fruits or veggis that taste good- meds can change her taste pallete. I would also suggest getting a nutritionist involved- someone who is also into alternative medicine.

Appples, carrots- often add sweetness to veggies. You have to be able to get it down and make it palletable to drink. Is she being feed my a gtube?

Good luck

bigkat1330035288.134009 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan

Sorry to hear about your friend, it's great that you are looking to help her out. I don't know about stomach cancer, but I've been through colon cancer. I feel for her, I sure hope all goes as well as it can for her.

I went through my share of Ensure while doing radiation and chemo. I liked the chocolate the best. I had different foods I had to stay away from, such as fruits and vegetables with seeds, and certainly no skins(even grapes and blueberries because of skins). I would imagine if done in something like a vita mix, that could work(??). I also could not have nuts and olives. Those, and the skins and seeds of friuts and vegetables are hard to digest. I would think she has a list from her doctor of what she can have, if not she should ask for one.

I love milk, so I drank a lot of white and chocolate milk. I also ate a lot of yogurt. I'm looking through a Betty Crocker Living with Cancer booklet I got with my chemo supplies...not too many liquid recipes in it. Again, she needs to know what "liquid" means, because it can be broth, juice, jell-o and such and no dairy. Soup could be liquified if it has what she may have in it.

Here's one out of the cancer booklet,

Berry-Banana Smoothie

1 c. vanilla, plain, or berry yogurt

3/4 c. Cheerios

1/2 c. fresh or frozen stawberry halves, or raspberries

1/2 c. milk

1-2 T. sugar

1/2 sliced banana

Place all in a blender. Cover and blend on high speed 10 seconds, stop and scrape sides. Cover and blend about 20 seconds longer until smooth.

This has 9g. protein, high in calcium, iron, vitamin C, and folic acid.

momtodogs1330037631.083850 PostsRegistered 9/20/2006

When my mom was on chemo I made brocolli, cheese soup and blended it for her so she could drink it....her mouth was very sore and had a hard time chewing. So sorry to hear about your friend......it is very kind of you to cook for her.

forrestwolf1330039578.8336188 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

OK..........here is the nurse in me..........I need to know if she is on clear liquids, full liquids or what her doctor recommends......If it is full liquids, you always have the option of baby food.......Having worked in an inpatient Hospice for 7 years, some people just can not look at blended veggies and meats.....especially green veggies.......What kinds of foods would your friend eat before the diagnosis.........What does she like.......maybe with that help, I could offer some suggestions, but I am not going to give you suggestions off the top of my head........Some people find that Carnation Instant Breakfast more palatable over ensure or the likes, with some protein powder added, but does she have liver involvement, or kidney involvement..........in which case, protein would not be a good option...........I would really like to help, but truly need a little more to go on..............So sorry to hear of yet another person dealing with this deamon of a disease..........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

purrmom1330040422.863400 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

Check with a dietician.

poobear11330042007.25262 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008Pennsylvania

I am so sorry to hear about your friend!

I bought Ensure for my father who was quite ill, thinking it would be nutritional. Although he liked the vanilla flavor the best, my gut told me to check with the doctor, who advised me....no Ensure. His comment to me was "read the label...it is all processed ingredients".

Getting a list from her doctor or dietician is the best alternative.

Forrestwolf has great advice.

I will keep her in my prayers! You are a true friend!

poobear

balogna1330046119.571217 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Michigan

She has a book for all the different recipes, I need to stop by her house and check that out. She just came back from Cancer Center Treatment of America day before yesterday. She is on three chemo drugs, and all have different effect. One drug is giving her whole body like nail poking if she has anything cold like smoothie, so has to be room temperature, but only one week after the chemo. One drug will give her mouth sore, no orange juice or tomato. She is completely on liquid, not allow to have solid food.

@ forrestwolf, before the diagnosis, she still eating regular food, but the end result is either gave her diarrhea or vomitting. It went on for months until early of this year, she got a biopsy and found out she has stomach cancer. CCTA did a colonoscopy, and found out the cancer is spreading to colon.

Thats Me1330047548.343688 PostsRegistered 1/11/2008

I'm guessing that soups that are not too strongly flavored would be good for your friend - I learned just recently about a cauliflower soup that sounds easy to make and delicious. Do you have an immersion blender? That would work great for this I think. Take cauliflower and stock, cook til the cauliflower is soft; add sliced/sauteed leek or onion, salt, pepper. Puree in blender. I'm going to try it in my pressure cooker - will saute chopped onion or leeks in combo of olive oil and butter, then add the stock and cauliflower, and cook for a few minutes; then I'll blend it all right in the pot.

You're so wonderful for the support you're giving your friend.

Another idea is a butternut squash soup - similar type of preparation. You can find cut-up and peeled chunks of butternut squash at a Trader Joes. Cook in stock, add sauted onion, puree.

I wish you and your friend the best.

forrestwolf1330049277.366188 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

PLEASE............make sure sure she is eating yougart, with live cultures, to help with the mouth soreness.........and garlic kills yeast......which causes the sore mouth.........I hope her doctor has her on Nystatin, for the mouth sores............Cold foods are more readily acceptable..........Freeze buttermilk.......sounds odd, but it is good for her and would help with the sores............frozen yougart has no benefits...........Lemon drops help with any

dry mouth problems she may have..........jello made with certain sodas (coke, sprite, Dr Pepper, and so one) is another soothing diet decision........Chia seeds, also add protein, and protein, and other nutrients, and omega 3's, and help to keep blood sugars under control.........http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html.............Is she in pain?????........As for the nausea, I do not know (but should) give her Zofran under the tongue, and there are a lot of drugs out there that you rub on your body somewhere, thay really help with the nausea, without swallowing a pill...........Popsicles are another option.......I am still thinking.........I really want to help........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling

forrestwolf1330050905.356188 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I also forgot to add, that coconut water (which by the way does not taste like coconut), Is also an excellent resourse for nutrients..........It is now showing up everywhere, but it has properties that nothing else has......... It is expensive, but much cheaper over the internet, like at Amazon.............It is a great resource of potassium, and others, but an undiseased human can live on pure cocunut water alone...........Cool In some places, they have come up for a way to give it thru an IV, directly into the body.............

1895 Rudyard Kipling

bigkat1330051485.244009 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010West Michigan
On 2/23/2012 forrestwolf said:

PLEASE............make sure sure she is eating yougart, with live cultures, to help with the mouth soreness.........and garlic kills yeast......which causes the sore mouth.........I hope her doctor has her on Nystatin, for the mouth sores............Cold foods are more readily acceptable..........Freeze buttermilk.......sounds odd, but it is good for her and would help with the sores............frozen yougart has no benefits...........Lemon drops help with any

dry mouth problems she may have..........jello made with certain sodas (coke, sprite, Dr Pepper, and so one) is another soothing diet decision........Chia seeds, also add protein, and protein, and other nutrients, and omega 3's, and help to keep blood sugars under control.........http://nuts.com/cookingbaking/chia-seeds/premium.html.............Is she in pain?????........As for the nausea, I do not know (but should) give her Zofran under the tongue, and there are a lot of drugs out there that you rub on your body somewhere, thay really help with the nausea, without swallowing a pill...........Popsicles are another option.......I am still thinking.........I really want to help........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Wolf, you Are so helpful!

I had forgotten about instant breakfast, I drank those with my meals! I started out drinking a lot of ginger ale, and then I got stuck on cherry Coke/Pepsi.

I just praise the Lord I didn't have all the side effects! My main issues were tired later in the day, and hand/foot syndrome, so my chemo had to be cut back several times. Everyone is so different so it is hard to say just what is right for one person.

happy hous­ewife1330052377.2832704 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

Actually when a person is on an all liquid liet they should be placed on a specific formula by a nutritionist, not just on blenderized food. Just like a baby needs a formula - a specific mixture - so does an adult. There are many on the market and the doctor should have started your friend on one.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

Their mom1331257328.19765 PostsRegistered 8/8/2010NM

Oh Honey! I am so sorry to hear that your friend is experiecing this set back. Cooking for a cancer patient can be one of the most frustrating experiences that you can imagine. If this is for a friend and your friend has another adult in their home, the best way that you can help is to make food for the rest of the family. Chances are that something brought in can be picked at by the patient or put into the blender. Chemo wrecks havoc with every sence of the patient. It may sound good to them, only to turn their stomache when you walk in the room with it. Something that the patient has been tolerating well will suddenly bring on horrific actions. The time it takes to prepare and deliver a meal from just down the hall can be ripples and swells in the patients desire for food. Some chemo drugs make everything taste sweet including water. The thrush is so painfull that sherbert and puddings and popscicles are appreciated when tolerated. The one thing that was almost always accepted was V8 Splash. The consistancy of the blended drinks is sometimes hard to handle. (causes gag reflex). Every patient is different and everyone reacts differently. It is very easy to get discouraged when trying to nourish a cancer patient. Please hang in there as your heart is in the right place.

Carnation Instant Breakfast offers great options for you to have on hand for your friend.

The best thing that you can offer is anything that she will eat. No, really, the best thing that you can give your friend is a soft childs size toothbrush. Healthy or not in a regular diet is intake in a seriously ill patient. Your love and attention will carry more than the nutrietion to her heart and soul. People always ask what they can do, but laundry (and there will be lots of it) housework, trip to the pharmacy or sitting with patient to give the caregiver a much needed break, esp at night and a new cozy blanket or slippers are greatly appreciated. Sit with your friend during her chemo. Car rides are especially rough after a chemo treatment. Prayer fixes everything.

A Veteran- whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone, who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Their mom1331258427.9965 PostsRegistered 8/8/2010NM

after serving up 39 months of chemo meals, you would think that I would remember the Homemade Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup. Sometimes, its the vegtables or a small piece of meat, sometimes the noodles can be tolerated but the broth is always a good option. the flavors come from the additions in any flavor broth. I had forgotten about making jello with seven up and the gallons of gingerale my daughter went through. With a liquid diet, its all about the flavor. But please realize that consistancy will get them everytime. You will do your best. She is blessed to have you as a friend.

A Veteran- whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone, who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Q2girl1331291208.7271707 PostsRegistered 1/3/2012

Here is an article about an author who wrote a great cook book for cancer patients.

You can buy it at Amazon. I will pray for your friend:)

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/oct/20/author-dietitian-share-ways-help-cancer-patients-g/

LoMiSu1331299011.827135 PostsRegistered 3/23/2010

I am very sorry to hear about your friend and I wish her peace.

Consider Unjury protein. It is very high quality whey protein isolate and it is used by hospitals. (Also recommended for post-weight loss surgery people) You can even call the Unjury folks (go to unjury dot com and look for their number there) and speak with a registered dietician. They have several flavors, an unflavored version, and chicken soup flavor. The chicken soup is quite delicious.

hungarian41331306391.5831423 PostsRegistered 8/28/2010

thanks for info !!!

balogna1331352125.2931217 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Michigan

Thanks to everyone who reply the post. The update for my friend is, she is on TPN (liquid nutritions) thru IV at night. I found a recipe has kale and white kidney bean in it, after I cook it, I have to blend it to a puree. She can tolerate that.

Usually I bring two different meals, one for her and one for her husband. Whatever I cook for my family, that's what her husband eat. With two children of my own, and they both in sports, my DH station at Florida, I try to bring meals over whenever I can.

I will look into Unjury protein.

Again, thank you very much for the kind words and support.

BeanCounte­r171331475955.575253 PostsRegistered 8/21/2006Virginia

Read what the doctor may have given her and don't add any protein or other powder to anything. I was recently released from treatment (chemo/radiation) and I was told that during my chemo they did not want any supplements or foods with certain antioxident/cancer fighting properties to be taken/eaten during chemo. I seriously forget why - chemo fog/brain was rampant then and is just now slowly fading. A girlfriend's hubby fought stomach cancer and lived over 10 years before succumbing to the disease just a few months back. I remember him also saying he had been told the same thing about cancer fighting foods during chemo and he was on TPN. He could eat tiny small amounts of soft food (scrambled eggs, etc) but otherwise everything else thru the tube. He used to drink a lot of smoothies also.

Also, the taste buds change so much during chemo - some days I was able to tolerate something, the next, not so much. Even the smell of food wreaked havoc on my stomach. Just saying that what may work today, may not tomorrow. To this day I cannot walk into or smell spanish/mexican food. Just the smell of that does me in even today and I was out of chemo beginning December.

betteb1331477911.6516835 PostsRegistered 1/1/2008The Land of Oz
On 3/11/2012 BeanCounter17 said:

Read what the doctor may have given her and don't add any protein or other powder to anything. I was recently released from treatment (chemo/radiation) and I was told that during my chemo they did not want any supplements or foods with certain antioxident/cancer fighting properties to be taken/eaten during chemo. I seriously forget why - chemo fog/brain was rampant then and is just now slowly fading. A girlfriend's hubby fought stomach cancer and lived over 10 years before succumbing to the disease just a few months back. I remember him also saying he had been told the same thing about cancer fighting foods during chemo and he was on TPN. He could eat tiny small amounts of soft food (scrambled eggs, etc) but otherwise everything else thru the tube. He used to drink a lot of smoothies also.

Also, the taste buds change so much during chemo - some days I was able to tolerate something, the next, not so much. Even the smell of food wreaked havoc on my stomach. Just saying that what may work today, may not tomorrow. To this day I cannot walk into or smell spanish/mexican food. Just the smell of that does me in even today and I was out of chemo beginning December.

This is so true. I took care of a cancer patient for 18mos, and it''s very hard. Forrestwolf has given you some great advice.

Chances are very good that she is getting what she "needs" from the TPN, but food is very often associated with comfort, both the patient and the caregiver.

I just wanted to say that you are a good friend. Not everyone would put this kind of effort into helping.

Also wanted to metion the nutritional suplement Boost. My patient much preferred the taste over Insure.

" An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" Mahatma Gandhi

morganjen1331478513.4372718 PostsRegistered 11/25/2004

This soup is delicious, but you might want to eliminate the spicy elements for her.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/cancer-fighting-spicy-pumpkin-soup

snappyfrap­py1331503993.264027 PostsRegistered 2/18/2010

My hubby died of metastatic tongue cancer about 18 months ago. Before he began his radiation, they put in a G tube. It promptly got infected and had to be removed. The wound in his stomach wouldn't heal, so he had to be on TPN. We brought him home that way, and DD and I had to take care of putting the antibiotics, anti-fungals into the port plus hooking up the TPN. He wasn't able to eat anything by mouth, as the hole in his stomach wouldn't close. But, during the time after that, the radiation oncologist told us about a product called "benecalorie". It's 1 1/2 oz. containers of a high calorie, white, tasteless substance that can be added to an ensure which doubles the calories.It can be added to a solid food also, like oatmeal, or soup. It has around 300 calories, so if someone has trouble eating large amounts, it's a great blessing. It can be ordered on line lots of places, but try Amazon first.

Hoping and praying for your friend. snappy {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Page 1 of 1