TSV(R) Preview
133 Members and 10674 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

What's the Best Container to Brine your Turkey?

Started 1320890462.33 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1321157840.487 by bizziebee007

i saw alton brown use a giant insulated beverage thermos.

i've been using a cooler but it's really messy.

what do you use?

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!
--------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 1
RocketMom1320893164.2672693 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

We use a 5 gallon Home Depot pail we bought just for that purpose. We are lucky because we have a spare refrigerator downstairs and just remove a shelf and put the whole bucket in there. Good luck!

bizziebee0­071320893775.4833251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

you are lucky!!! what a great way to do it! i need something insulated....i'm on a mission to find something. lol.

the key to looking younger, is to stand next to someone who looks older than you...get the heck away from me!!!

Local1320895179.491512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

They sell plastic brining bags with zip tops. I've seen them in grocery stores.

chickenbutt1320896798.84724237 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I use a 5 gallon bucket that was purchased new at Walmart for this purpose. Into the 5 gal bucket I put a brining bag. They are like a HUGE ziplock baggie only really heavy duty. Work perfectly for this. I don't see them around here so I buy one each year on amazon. It comes in a red box and costs $7.99 with free shipping.

ETA - it's pretty easy to keep it cool that time of year w/o having to have something insulated. After I zip up the bag I put some ice packs on top, then snap on the lid of the bucket and put it in my laundry room (where it's pretty cool in the winter) overnight. Stays nice and cool.

Last edited on 11/9/2011

Last edited on 11/9/2011

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

moto1320897706.843813 PostsRegistered 9/19/2005SF native

I use the zip lock bags (found some at Bed, Bath Beyond), double bag them, in fact. Then I remove the bottom crisper drawers from my refrigerator, and the turkey fits right in the bottom of the fridge. I'd rather move some less important items from my fridge to a cooler and not risk salmonella from the turkey not being kept at the correct temperature.

Brined turkey is the best!

Last edited on 11/9/2011

Last edited on 11/9/2011

jaburg1320900760.7971005 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have a big rubbermaid plastic container that I use only for turkey brining. It fits nicely in the frig and holds a really big turkey.

bizziebee0­071320938007.8373251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

you ladies are all lucky that you can fit your turkey in your fridge. i can't. i pre-make 99% of my dinner and it's all in their...no room for the bird.

i guess it the weather cooperates and it gets really cool, i could keep it my garage or sunroom (which is not insulated).

thanks for the tips!!

chickenbutt1320944584.5524237 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 11/10/2011 bizziebee007 said:

you ladies are all lucky that you can fit your turkey in your fridge. i can't. i pre-make 99% of my dinner and it's all in their...no room for the bird.

i guess it the weather cooperates and it gets really cool, i could keep it my garage or sunroom (which is not insulated).

thanks for the tips!!

I wouldn't want to keep it in the refrigerator, unwrapped, anyway. The idea one poster had about using the crisper on the bottom is a very good one, though, especially since she is bagging it so there won't be any cross-contamination.

The thing is, if it gets cold in winter where you are, you can keep it in a cold room overnight with no problem. After I bring my brining base to a boil and let it cool, when I add the additional water I add a lot of ice to it. So, not only am I pouring iced liquid in the bag with the turkey, but after zipping it closed I put a kitchen towel on top of the bag then a couple of ice pack things that I keep in the refrigerator all the time. Then I put the cover for the 5gal bucket on top of that and put it in a place that is very cool. When I get up in the morning it is still cold, so it works great. The garage is another good choice as long as you have it sealed up in something like the bag and bucket.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

bizziebee0­071320982237.6633251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

thanks chickenbutt!

i took a chance today and ordered both a brining bag/seasoning mix kit AND a 10 gallon insulated water cooler (thermos) type thing w/a spigot and s*c*r*e*w top. i ordered a 20-22 lb. fresh butterball turkey and i am praying it fits in the thermos thingy. if not, i will return it and just go back to using the brining bag and my chest cooler.

another thing tho...i noticed you said you "boiled" your brine mix first. i've never done that...does that add something to the brine flavor? or is simply to make sure the ingredients are mixed well?

chickenbutt1320982593.03724237 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I usually get about a 14lb turkey and it fits easily in the 5 gallon bucket so, based on that, I think yours should fit in the 10 gallon cooler. Ten gallons is pretty huge!

Hope everything works out well. You are doing lots of planning, so I think it will :)

As for the brining liquid thing - I think that boiling the base (some of the liquid and the spices) really helps develop the flavors. It's not a mandatory thing, but I like the idea of it. Now, the important thing, if you do that, is to do it enough ahead of time to let it cool completely before introducing it to the turkey.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

bizziebee0­071321033481.243251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

thank you!

i am like a mad scientist...googling recipes, watching YT videos, comparing recipes. lol.

those insulated thermos thingies are really expensive. i found a great deal on the 10 gallon one, tho, so i figured what the hay...right?

my co-worker picked me up a brining bag and dry seasoning mix combo from Kitchen Kapers, together with something called "roasted garlic and onion jam". i have a recipe for the jam mixed w/fresh green beans. thinking of making that instead of the traditional green bean casserole. what to do what to do. lol.

ETA: i have narrowed down my brine solution to either alton browns (modified a little) or alex guarnaschelli's. has anyone ever made alex's recipe?

Last edited on 11/11/2011

baginista1321034680.387642 PostsRegistered 3/8/2009

I use my hot water canner and set it outside. Living in northern MN, the overnight temps are 32 or lower around that time of year. More concerned about it freezing rather than culturing salmonella at those temps.

gkelly57441321049132.5232662 PostsRegistered 4/22/2010
On 11/11/2011 bizziebee007 said:

thank you!

i am like a mad scientist...googling recipes, watching YT videos, comparing recipes. lol.

those insulated thermos thingies are really expensive. i found a great deal on the 10 gallon one, tho, so i figured what the hay...right?

my co-worker picked me up a brining bag and dry seasoning mix combo from Kitchen Kapers, together with something called "roasted garlic and onion jam". i have a recipe for the jam mixed w/fresh green beans. thinking of making that instead of the traditional green bean casserole. what to do what to do. lol.

ETA: i have narrowed down my brine solution to either alton browns (modified a little) or alex guarnaschelli's. has anyone ever made alex's recipe?

I brined my turkey for the first time last Thanksgiving and it was one of the most moist turkeys that I have ever had!! I bought a 5 gallon bucket from one of the big hardware stores and labeled it on the side & top lid for turkey brining so I would not use it for anything else. I used Alton Brown's brining recipe & it was sooooo good!! GOOD LUCK and let us know what you brine you used!!

springers1321117531.866777 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

How long do you let it sit in the brine? 24 hrs?

great ideas here - I think BBQ Galore has Brine bags.

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

chickenbutt1321117646.04324237 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I think you can do it that long, Springers. I just do mine in late evening and let it sit overnight until mid-morning. Just as long as you can keep it cool, you're fine.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

springers1321117929.5076777 PostsRegistered 8/27/2008so cal

Thanks CB

Whatever is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, or praiseworthy-think on these things.

bizziebee0­071321157840.4733251 PostsRegistered 1/13/2010Philly Burbs

hey springers, i also usually brine mine for about 12+ hours. i usually start it around dinner time (say 5-6 pm) on wed. and start getting it ready to go in the oven around 8-9 a.m.on thurs. morning.

Page 1 of 1