The Joy of Christmas
129 Members and 16482 Guests Online

Recipe Swap

Looking for YOUR FAVORITE soup and smoothie VITAMIX recipes

Started 1319773045.33 in Recipe Swap | Last reply 1319853503.923 by chickenbutt
I would love to hear what your favorites are. Actually, I would love to hear any of your Vitamix recipes, especially if they are simple., low fat and low salt. I have a new Vitamix and the recipe book, but I would like personal recommendations from people here who have made and tasted them.

Page 1 of 1
arrianna1319774055.5235072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010

I have heard of a soup made with cooked butternut squash, half and half, brown sugar, nutmeg and salt and pepper.

Nightowlz1319774781.1439352 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Here's a thread from Kitchen & Food Talk board about Smoothies. http://community.qvc.com/forums/Kitchen-and-Food-Talk/topic/235116/smoothie-recipies.aspx

Smile

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

mschrief1319808678.09934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

I usually make a smoothie every morning for breakfast, in my Vita-mix.

1/2 apple cored unpeeled

1/2 frozen banana

5 frozen strawberries, blueberries or any fruit you like

1/2 apple juice

1/2 cup yogurt (sometimes, if I have it)

Zap for 1 minute until smooth. VERY icy and thick.

Sile1319820237.7331224 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010
bump...

chickenbutt1319824270.1723521 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 10/28/2011 mschrief said:

1/2 apple cored unpeeled

1/2 frozen banana

1/2 apple juice

That sounds good. If you don't have yogurt, do you replace that with something? I don't like yogurt and cannot even seem to get myself to use it in something like this so I end up not making smoothies, but would like to do so if I can figure out what is a good replacement for yogurt.

As for bananas - I figure out how to keep a couple frozen bananas on hand and not have them get old on me. Last time I bought 2 but only ended up using one, so I took the other one (before it got too ripe) and peeled it. Then I cut it into several pieces and froze them in a Lock & Lock. Then (being the nut for storage that I am!) I put them into a Foodsaver bag and vacuum sealed them. Now they can last for a long time without any breakdown in flavor or texture. It's nice to have some on hand, when I don't use them all the time, in case I suddenly want to use one.

The chocolate banana malted milkshake is still one of my fav recipes in my Vitamix cookbook. I use the Dreyer's Slow Churned No sugar added, half fat vanilla bean ice cream (to save some on sugar especially) and it is a really nice ice cream.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

mschrief1319831595.8934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA
On 10/28/2011 chickenbutt said:

1/2 apple cored unpeeled

1/2 frozen banana

1/2 apple juice

That sounds good. If you don't have yogurt, do you replace that with something? I don't like yogurt and cannot even seem to get myself to use it in something like this so I end up not making smoothies, but would like to do so if I can figure out what is a good replacement for yogurt.

As for bananas - I figure out how to keep a couple frozen bananas on hand and not have them get old on me. Last time I bought 2 but only ended up using one, so I took the other one (before it got too ripe) and peeled it. Then I cut it into several pieces and froze them in a Lock & Lock. Then (being the nut for storage that I am!) I put them into a Foodsaver bag and vacuum sealed them. Now they can last for a long time without any breakdown in flavor or texture. It's nice to have some on hand, when I don't use them all the time, in case I suddenly want to use one.

The chocolate banana malted milkshake is still one of my fav recipes in my Vitamix cookbook. I use the Dreyer's Slow Churned No sugar added, half fat vanilla bean ice cream (to save some on sugar especially) and it is a really nice ice cream.

If I don't have yogurt (easy to make your own from whole milk) I would just go with the fruit & juices or a little water for the liquid. I don't always add the yogurt, just depends on how I feel at 0415 am when I make the smoothie.

mschrief1319831698.91934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA
On 10/28/2011 chickenbutt said:

1/2 apple cored unpeeled

1/2 frozen banana

1/2 apple juice

I love love love my FoodSavers. I have the slim countertop one, a hand-press one (recent freebie on their website) and a hand-held thingie. I like using the zipper FoodSaver bags for my bananas that way I don't have to keep cutting the bag. You can find them on the FS website. QVC sells the hand-held suckerthing

mschrief1319831954.987934 PostsRegistered 10/3/2008Tacoma, WA

I like to make soups in the VM. Just bake 3-4 potatoes and I peel them. Put 1 cup milk or 1/2 1/2 in the VM, a couple green onions, the potatoes, process for a couple of minutes, add some cheese and a couple more potatoes, process just a little bit and enjoy. I add bacon occasionally.

Another thing to do with the VM is to puree beans. I made a big honking pot of lima beans and ham that was looking sort of pitiful after a couple of days. I put the beans in with a little milk and made soup. So delish! Husband had no clue it was leftovers.

Lilysmom1319832717.5973038 PostsRegistered 11/24/2007

This is my favorite smoothie. I have it every day at lunch.

1 cup of milk (whatever kind you choose)

1 cup of frozen fruit (I use Kirklands frozen berries from Costco)

2 single servings of yogurt

I pulse three times and it makes two full cups so I am good for two servings. Chickenbutt, I was not a yogurt fan either. I use it in this and can't even tell there is yogurt in it. If you really hate the yogurt, add a little more milk.

Would love to hear more smoothie recipes. LM

Sile1319851489.741224 PostsRegistered 2/3/2010
These are great! More, please!

Sunshine K­ate1319852384.1612038 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Our favorite breakfast smoothie is:

1 cup Silk soy milk (light) OR fat free milk of your choice

1/2 cup oatmeal

14 strawberries OR blueberries, frozen

1 banana, frozen

1 tsp. vanilla

1 Tblsp. honey OR agave nectar

YUM!!! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respectfully ~
Kate

arrianna1319852544.4775072 PostsRegistered 10/20/2010
On 10/28/2011 Sile said: These are great! More, please!

I just found a tropical blend frozen fruit mixture from whole foods and I am planning to mix it with OJ.

chickenbutt1319853503.91723521 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Lilysmom - Thanks so much for the yogurt info. Unfortunately, I'm rather food-neurotic...If I don't like a food item I have a physical reaction. If I were to open a container of yogurt I would probably vomit. Fortunately, the list of foods that affect me this way is pretty small (like about 6 items, including yogurt). I know - I'm a nut. I don't care for milk either, but I can use it to make a drink or in a recipe and it doesn't bother me.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Page 1 of 1